Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Endorph posted:

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

lol at the GENDER VERIFICATION SYSTEM for a trans overwatch 2 tournament, thanks blizzard. foot, mouth.

that is indeed an official blizzard site they're talking about in case anyone is wondering, (it's really obvious if you scroll down to the site footer at https://callingallheroes.gg/en-us/news/introducing-calling-all-heroes )

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Still having to deal with large queues on a weekday morning three days after launch is some BS. This is Blizzard, not some indie startup that is trying to rapidly scale up.

The blizzard server admins should commit sudoku for this shameful state.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

The game feels chaotic with super fast TTK, but I'm 100% sure that's just a "me" problem because I've been away and am bad.

no, i think it's just built into the game the way it is designed, possibly even more so now with OW2. maps are still very open and not really properly designed for the new DPS-oriented overwatch, so people either die instantly because there are 10 people shooting at each other in the open, or they don't die because healing is kinda overtuned (by any other game studio's standards except blizzard) so all chip damage instantly goes away. it follows that there are typically 2 different health states, full HP or dead. they can remove all the stuns they want but mccree still kills people in 0.5 seconds with hitscan so there are going to be a lot of sudden deaths no matter how you cut it

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 6, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Minorkos posted:

there are typically 2 different health states, full HP or dead.

I've found this to be the OW2 support experience definitely, which is why supports with good escapes are strong, the minute you start getting chipped at you can just nope on out and you'll be full health in seconds. If you're trapped in a team fight you're just toast.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Almost like it could be useful for there to exist some sort of mechanic where players in certain roles could deploy some sort of barrier maybe, that could prevent people from being instakilled out in the open.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't watch owl often at all but any time I've seen it it's basically all very cis-looking Korean boys. are there even females or trans competitors at this point? why announce that?

e: oh it's for a tournament specifically for marginalized identities. but why do verification then
its what happens when your brain starts at 'but what if non-trans people infiltrate the tournament to make a mockery of it' and ends there instead of continuing towards 'isnt this insanely awkward for the people we're trying to ostensibly protect.' basically, sympathy without empathy.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I am definitely enjoying the increased TTK. Had some rough games last night where our DPS was borderline useless and got wiped every match. Tank leading damage almost every time lol

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Almost like it could be useful for there to exist some sort of mechanic where players in certain roles could deploy some sort of barrier maybe, that could prevent people from being instakilled out in the open.

well either that or they could have designed the maps in such a way that there isn't a constant visual connection to 9 other players, which is the reason people randomly get focused to death an instant or whomped by a roadhog hook from outside their line of sight. but i think blizzard originally designed all the maps like this because in their opinion, a good map is one where you can see your entire team and their healthbars so you can click on them to give them heals and shields and stuff like it's world of warcraft

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

bagrada posted:

How is Sigma? Haven't heard much about him.

I got in just long enough to see some of the changes and characters added since I left. Looking forward to playing this weekend.

I played a ton of him in OW1 so I'm trying to branch out and have some fun, but if things aren't going well, I can usually switch to him and bring home the W. Much more comp dependent than in the beta as the enemy were usually running JQ or Doom. Against Doom especially, wait for his power block, rock, EZ game. He's my go to if a Widow is causing trouble, shield her off, spam balls her way if in range then address the rest of the team, wait for her to move, rinse and repeat. You'll find yourself getting some huge value from his shift compared to OW1, massive overheal on something like a Kiriko ult.

Speaking of Kiriko ult, when the enemy pops it I've died too many times by not getting the gently caress out of dodge if you're not already in a good position. It very quickly goes from this is fine to a total team wipe.

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 6, 2022

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

I mean Gundam doesn’t have that and everybody seems to die with a good amount of time to do something about it unless sniper is involved

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Trying to spin back up my thoroughly mediocre gold-tier comp brain:

Where should I be, generally speaking, as Brig? Just behind the tank, trying to land whip shots? Further back and positioned at the mouth of a flank route so that I'm still with the team but I'll be the first person a flank dps encounters? Somewhere else? Do I want to wait near corners and surprise enemies?

Is a DPS that ends up in melee with Brig in trouble, or is the Brig in trouble? If it varies bases on the hero, what are some good and match ups.

Should I start a fight with charge + whip? Or charge, melee, whip to finish? Something else?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Minorkos posted:

well either that or they could have designed the maps in such a way that there isn't a constant visual connection to 9 other players, which is the reason people randomly get focused to death an instant or whomped by a roadhog hook from outside their line of sight. but i think blizzard originally designed all the maps like this because in their opinion, a good map is one where you can see your entire team and their healthbars so you can click on them to give them heals and shields and stuff like it's world of warcraft

Yeah because it's not counterstrike. There aren't broken crates laying around everywhere. Most characters are extremely loud and designed for teamwork and close quarters scrums. Colors are bright with cartoony particles making it obvious where everyone is.

People arguing to enable uninhibited solo carry damage role play are wrong. That is not this game. Damage role is enabled by the other two and somewhat weak without them.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Endorph posted:

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

lol at the GENDER VERIFICATION SYSTEM for a trans overwatch 2 tournament, thanks blizzard. foot, mouth.

The article says Blizzard came up with this based on feedback from the marginalized groups.
So what am I missing here? Other than it being a poorly worded /named thing that will outrage people that don’t know the full context?

quote:

“The Calling All Heroes verification process was built with the insights and efforts of people from marginalized spaces and their experiences in gaming. The verification process is designed to limit any people acting in bad faith and thus requires verification of accounts including Battle.Net, social media accounts and self-gender identification information. We will trust an applicant’s self gender-identification and, if an individual completes all steps, they will be accepted into the program.”

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 6, 2022

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It's just trying to prevent some experienced guy gamer from pretending to be in the marginalized groups and running away with the win.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

EngineerJoe posted:

It's just trying to prevent some experienced guy gamer from pretending to be in the marginalized groups and running away with the win.

Yea exactly. That article is just lovely clickbait.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(snip)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xgalaxy posted:

The article says Blizzard came up with this based on feedback from the marginalized groups.
So what am I missing here? Other than it being a poorly worded /named thing that will outrage people that don’t know the full context?
marginalized groups arent a monolith, its insanely lovely and i dont care if they got some other trans people to rubberstamp it, it still sucks rear end

EngineerJoe posted:

having to provide proof of your Trans Identity to some unfeeling corporation is a worse outcome than some guy pretending to have gender so he can click heads for a couple days

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack B Nimble posted:

Where should I be, generally speaking, as Brig? Just behind the tank, trying to land whip shots? Further back and positioned at the mouth of a flank route so that I'm still with the team but I'll be the first person a flank dps encounters? Somewhere else? Do I want to wait near corners and surprise enemies?

Is a DPS that ends up in melee with Brig in trouble, or is the Brig in trouble? If it varies bases on the hero, what are some good and match ups.

Should I start a fight with charge + whip? Or charge, melee, whip to finish? Something else?

It depends on team comp, but you want to position similar to Ana; you want to be near the backline of your team so that you are not directly in the fray once the big fight starts, but close enough so that you can get help when a flanker comes through and ideally step a few steps forward to get a poking Whip Shot on the enemy front line to proc Inspire often. You cannot 1v1 anyone well, but you are a force multiplier to anything that becomes a 2v2 or higher. Your repair packs let you heal your own DPS really easily at ranges that only Ana and Kiriko enjoy. Like Lucio, when in doubt you should hang with your other support to help protect them, and then after the Tank initiates you jump in. Shield Bash is primarily a movement tool; only use it to engage when you can get the damage in and are committed for the kill.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Endorph posted:

marginalized groups arent a monolith, its insanely lovely and i dont care if they got some other trans people to rubberstamp it, it still sucks rear end

having to provide proof of your Trans Identity to some unfeeling corporation is a worse outcome than some guy pretending to have gender so he can click heads for a couple days

yeah, calling this article clickbait gets a big lmao from me

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

There are two wolves in Brigitte's heart. One wants to be cozy with their friends, one just wants to go apeshit.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Question from someone who hasn't really played in a long time:

Is reaper very weak right now since there is only one tank now?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I queued last night for nearly 30 minutes even though the queue was only 700 people, then it started playing the intro cinematic and immediately booted me saying my profile had been signed out. Lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

poe meater posted:

Question from someone who hasn't really played in a long time:

Is reaper very weak right now since there is only one tank now?

Absolutely not, being able to actually kill the team's giga tank is super important, his teleport is super fast now, and he benefits hugely from the new dps role passive.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Arzachel posted:

There are two wolves in Brigitte's heart. One wants to be cozy with their friends, one just wants to go apeshit.

Yeah I'll be honest I WANT to play like a baby rhine and it's got a real scrappy do dynamic where I land my charge, swing my hammer twice, and then die because lmao I'm not rhine.

I feel like the reality of the mechanics are a bit at odds with how the character is presented.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Absolutely not, being able to actually kill the team's giga tank is super important, his teleport is super fast now, and he benefits hugely from the new dps role passive.

So he's supposed to frontline with your tank? Is he actually able to do more damage overall to tanks versus a traditional ranged DPS when taking range/safety into account?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I Simpsons read that as:

"Absolutely, not being able to kill the giga tank...". Glad to do a double take, I'm honestly looking forward to tank hunting when I get into DPS.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Reaper is a back line monster and can kill tanks maybe faster than any dps. He’s a monster right now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Meh. I wanted to log in to cash out my free hero thanks to owning OW1. Queue was first 200. It timed out and now it's 700. Why everyone else wants to play this dead gay cash grab from a bad evil company? Please go away.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So what's the change with Mei? They dropped her ability to freeze people with her basic spray attack but increased the damage?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CuddleCryptid posted:

So what's the change with Mei? They dropped her ability to freeze people with her basic spray attack but increased the damage?

yes, though more specifically they doubled it's damage. it's a lot of damage!

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I'll be honest I WANT to play like a baby rhine and it's got a real scrappy do dynamic where I land my charge, swing my hammer twice, and then die because lmao I'm not rhine.

I feel like the reality of the mechanics are a bit at odds with how the character is presented.

It sucks because you really can’t go balls deep. In OW1 you sometimes could once you have Rally Armor, but now it’s Temp Health in OW2 which doesn’t protect you anywhere near as much.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It’s more DPS than right click now and still slows, so you want to spend all your time bullying the enemy Tank and acting as an Off-Tank with your Wall and Ice Block.

Unlike Reaper who can just press E to Shadowstep into the enemy backline and then Shift to Wraith back to your team for healing on a perpetual loop. Yeah, you can still shoot the tank but it’s way faster to just kill the backline now. Can even work with Winston if you Shadowstep above/behind the dive target or into Winston bubble.

Proven fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 6, 2022

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

poe meater posted:

So he's supposed to frontline with your tank? Is he actually able to do more damage overall to tanks versus a traditional ranged DPS when taking range/safety into account?

The most effective Reapers I run into are right behind our support killing them before we can react, then bursting down the tank.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Isn't there an option to make Reaper shadow form a toggle and not a hold? Where is that in these good awful menus?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Isn't there an option to make Reaper shadow form a toggle and not a hold? Where is that in these good awful menus?

go to controls and you should see an empty portrait in the upper right with a "change hero" button below that which you can use to set individual hero control options

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Not sure if I'm super rusty or if Roadhog is just bad now. He was always best as a secondary tank flanking and getting picks while the other tank was defending the team, with only one tank it feels like you can't really do that anymore and any other tank is a better choice if you're being forced to stand in the front position. Ana is an even harder counter than before because there's no chance of hiding from the sleep darts and grenades behind a shield, she was annoying in OW1 but now it feels like I need to switch immediately if someone picks her.

A lot of tier lists seem to be putting him in D-tier saying he needs a rework to function in 5v5, some even putting him as the lone hero in F-tier. Too bad since he's still fun to play but your team is going to be complaining about not having a real tank the whole game, I can't really blame them.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Mei feels so weird now. Why did they remove the freeze? I know they buffed the M1 damage to compensate but freezing people into BM into icicle headshots was the funniest way to play and now you just can't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not sure if I'm super rusty or if Roadhog is just bad now. He was always best as a secondary tank flanking and getting picks while the other tank was defending the team, with only one tank it feels like you can't really do that anymore and any other tank is a better choice if you're being forced to stand in the front position. Ana is an even harder counter than before because there's no chance of hiding from the sleep darts and grenades behind a shield, she was annoying in OW1 but now it feels like I need to switch immediately if someone picks her.

A lot of tier lists seem to be putting him in D-tier saying he needs a rework to function in 5v5, some even putting him as the lone hero in F-tier. Too bad since he's still fun to play but your team is going to be complaining about not having a real tank the whole game, I can't really blame them.

This is more an Ana problem than Hog. She is extremely strong in this format.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Mei feels so weird now. Why did they remove the freeze? I know they buffed the M1 damage to compensate but freezing people into BM into icicle headshots was the funniest way to play and now you just can't.

Because DPS roles shouldn't be able to do everything.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Brig and Mei should have been converted to tanks with Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
brig as a healer is way cooler than she would be as a tank