Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

The new one costs more money too! Despite making the exact same power (when it works), being the same size and weight and making the same amount of noise, etc.

Making the exact same thing except with less and cheaper parts and charging more for it does seem like a great way to make money though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's unfortunate that they tried to save a nickel on labor putting gears into a fully captured planetary set by beefing up the materials and simplifying assembly. Because that's what this really comes down to, they just didn't make the planet gear pins and planetary housing thick enough to compensate for going from double to single shear.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Uncle Enzo posted:

The new one costs more money too! Despite making the exact same power (when it works), being the same size and weight and making the same amount of noise, etc.

Costs Milwuakee more, or they charge more of the item? Those are two very different things.

They could have just raised the price without any changes. People would say “well, that’s inflation” and pay it because they were already paying extra for a quality tool.

This is a dangerous path for the brand.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Advent Horizon posted:

Costs Milwuakee more, or they charge more of the item? Those are two very different things.

They could have just raised the price without any changes. People would say “well, that’s inflation” and pay it because they were already paying extra for a quality tool.

This is a dangerous path for the brand.

My understanding is that the retail price increased about $30 with this change.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Uncle Enzo posted:

My understanding is that the retail price increased about $30 with this change.

:lol:
So both, then. Make more money, put out a cheaper product. Then complain about inflation and blame someone else. :sigh: Some MBA just jizzed in their pants.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That is a very interesting video. We actually sell these and I'm not aware of a problem, *yet* but I'm sure it will happen. I'll have to check and see if our inventory is A-models or B.

Coincidentally, just told a coworker who bought a 2680-20 cut off grinder last week and it died before it could cut 2' of autobody sheet metal. Just loving died after about 5 minutes.

Brand spanking new, literally just out of the box.

e: Just checked the 2767-20 we have in stock and its serial begins with H96A

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 3, 2022

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

sharkytm posted:

:lol:
So both, then. Make more money, put out a cheaper product. Then complain about inflation and blame someone else. :sigh: Some MBA just jizzed in their pants.

Redefining the term 'nutfucker'.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

slidebite posted:

That is a very interesting video. We actually sell these and I'm not aware of a problem, *yet* but I'm sure it will happen. I'll have to check and see if our inventory is A-models or B.

Coincidentally, just told a coworker who bought a 2680-20 cut off grinder last week and it died before it could cut 2' of autobody sheet metal. Just loving died after about 5 minutes.

Brand spanking new, literally just out of the box.

e: Just checked the 2767-20 we have in stock and its serial begins with H96A

late model H96A and all H96B seems to be effected.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

wargames posted:

late model H96A and all H96B seems to be effected.

Affected by the electrical control issues, not the redesigned anvil assembly. They may have changed the electronics too, or a supplier, to cause those issues in the A and Bs.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I bought a 2767 about a year ago to break one particular bolt, then I never used it again. I could probably sell it now for more than I paid, ha ha.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
I've been putting it off forever and was about to get one :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rectal Placenta posted:

I've been putting it off forever and was about to get one :(

go check your local HD's stock, maybe they'll have some older serial numbers on the shelf

or buy the one slidebite has, lol

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, eBay randos might really be your best option right about now. I got mine about five years ago and have put it through its paces without any issues.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I got an M18-CIW12 about 7-8 years ago, and have since then gathered a reasonably sized red team. I love this one, it's percectly fine for most of the stuff I do and gets a lot of use, but fairly often it just isn't angry enough. At it's rated 280Nm, it struggles with overtightened wheel bolts or anything similarly stuck and been looking for a while to get something with a bit more "I'm not kidding" in it, and just got this. Been meaning to get one for months, and this was on sale at a local reseller I like and trust, bringing it down to just under Amazon price.

For some reason Milwaukee uses completely different model numbers in Europeland. This is the delightfully named ONEFHIWF12-0X, but it has the same specs as the 2863 (OneKey version of 2767) and sure looks the part. That video said something about the change not yet having made its way to the OneKey variant, but who knows what's the case here. It's a bit of a gamble given recent events, but I'm hoping this is not yet updated. If it's good it's good and if it's bad there's warranty. Once I make sure it does what it's supposed to, I guess I'll open it up to see what's inside. If it's the crappy version I might have to do my very best to stress-test it and give it full beans on something solid. It also remains to be seen if the OneKey stuff is useful, useless, or even annoying (this is the first tool I got with that). I have no use for the "inventory management" stuff, but just maybe tweaking some settings can be handy. This was actually slightly cheaper than the regular version, which is why I even got it.

At least I have a properly sized tool for the upcoming tire changing season where a dozen vehicles (my own and those of some relatives and friends) need to change to winter tires. With the old one I have a pretty good feel for what amount of ugga-dugga will get me close to the proper torque, so I'll have to recalibrate myself on that (or maybe that's where the OneKey thing will prove itself?).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Yeah, Milwaukee still has a pretty good warranty. I have a 15 amp SuperSawsall that is about a decade old and I overstressed the motor trying to cut a hot tub into tiny sections using an overly aggressive blade*. Took it to Home Depot to have it repaired and they said Milwaukee paid for it even though the warranty had expired several times over.

*I thought fiberglass would be similar enough to nail embedded wood, but it turns out a metal cutting blade both cuts faster and doesn't get the tool too hot to touch without gloves.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I didn't know you could kill one of those mke plug in sawsalls with anything but a very high drop. Mine is still the best wrench I have next to the torch.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I've killed two Super Sawzalls. Local repair shop was ~$140, so I just bought another off CL for $80.
Sadly these were USA ones too. I had high hopes, but who knows their background since I bought them used.
My brushless LXT Makita has taken their place and been a solid addition to my cordless addiction.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I killed one by cutting up several cars with it using the throttle as an on off switch with zero regard for the tool, blade life, or my arms being shaken to death. Eventually the blade got caught and slipped the overload clutch enough times that it wore out. Ended up fixing it myself because it was out of warranty and I'd just discovered ereplacementparts.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got a reply from my Milwaukee/TTC tech rep RE that video.

quote:

We actually just had a product call on the 2767 from the video you sent. Action was taken in the US a few weeks ago and a plan in Canada will be launched next week to take care of the issue.

There is an issue with the B model which Milwaukee is aware of and its not to do with the construction of the tool, the chattering the video speaks of is causing the pins to break and the tool to not work properly. The change in construction was made in August, as mentioned the US has already taken action and Canada will follow suit very quickly.

Hopefully this doesn’t impact the relationship with your customer but we will have a process in place shortly to correct a customer who has purchased a B version along with correcting in stock inventory at all of our distributors. An updated 2767 with the proper fix will already begin shipping November 1st!

Thanks for passng this along and let me know if you have any questions.

I haven't seen a recall yet and the failures didn't seem to happen previously even on the later A models so I'm not sure how he can say it's not to do with the re-design, but if they are doing a recall that is something and very costly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

Got a reply from my Milwaukee/TTC tech rep RE that video.

I haven't seen a recall yet and the failures didn't seem to happen previously even on the later A models so I'm not sure how he can say it's not to do with the re-design, but if they are doing a recall that is something and very costly.

TTC just did an update video and the "proper fix" was going back to the "a" revision. :D

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I was just gonna say, just go back to the original version everyone loved, you assknuckles.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

“It has nothing to do with our design change but we’ll be changing our design to fix it.”

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

They are unchanging the change so it's not a design change. That rep must not have the official statement yet...or they're a sales person and are basically incapable of telling the truth.

Video with the official statement mentioned above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5nUiskNpw

Galler fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 8, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Galler posted:

They are unchanging the change so it's not a design change. That rep must not have the official statement yet...or they're a sales person and are basically incapable of telling the truth.

Video with the official statement mentioned above:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL5nUiskNpw
I suspect this guy is probably just not in the loop on the official word and interpreting what he's heard until the official :canada: word comes out. But just a guess.

This will cost TTC a lot of scratch but hopefully teach them a lesson too. It's far easier to lose clients, even somewhat loyal ones, than winning them back.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

slidebite posted:

I suspect this guy is probably just not in the loop on the official word and interpreting what he's heard until the official :canada: word comes out. But just a guess.

This will cost TTC a lot of scratch but hopefully teach them a lesson too. It's far easier to lose clients, even somewhat loyal ones, than winning them back.

Yea they seem to be making a good choice reasonably quickly. The class action lawsuit that'd follow them not acting would by big big $$ and they'd end up with a mass recall anyway.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
Just to verify the state of things, I took my new impact apart to check out the construction. And for what it's worth to any eurogoons, a Milwaukee M18 ONEFHIWF12-0X (Onekey bare-tool euro-version of 2767) purchased in early October is "the good kind", with the planet gears kept inside the anvil housing thing and with the rear bearing on it.

Also had a chance to give it a spin (on a couple of things where my smaller one would probably have sufficed), and hoo boy does it rattle my nuts in a violent yet pleasing way.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ionn posted:

Just to verify the state of things, I took my new impact apart to check out the construction. And for what it's worth to any eurogoons, a Milwaukee M18 ONEFHIWF12-0X (Onekey bare-tool euro-version of 2767) purchased in early October is "the good kind", with the planet gears kept inside the anvil housing thing and with the rear bearing on it.

Also had a chance to give it a spin (on a couple of things where my smaller one would probably have sufficed), and hoo boy does it rattle my nuts in a violent yet pleasing way.

Just wait until you have to run it on a severely seized/tight as hell fastener. Once it really loads up and gets going it really shakes you around.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

Just wait until you have to run it on a severely seized/tight as hell fastener. Once it really loads up and gets going it really shakes you around.

I'm hoping it will be a while until I encounter something where this thing is too low on the richter scale to loosen it. Since I don't deal with old farm equipment, tanks or heavy trucks, most hexagonal things I pick a fight with are of a size and rustitude where I'd bet on this tool. But when it comes down to something like that, I'll have to see if my dainty Computer Man wrists can take it.

But just having something portable that is able to zip off just about any wheel nut/bolt, no questions asked, will be pretty nice. As well as all those things that are a bit too stuck for my other tools and annoying to do by hand because poo poo is spinning, like crank pulley bolts, axle and sprocket nuts and such.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

ionn posted:

I'm hoping it will be a while until I encounter something where this thing is too low on the richter scale to loosen it. Since I don't deal with old farm equipment, tanks or heavy trucks, most hexagonal things I pick a fight with are of a size and rustitude where I'd bet on this tool. But when it comes down to something like that, I'll have to see if my dainty Computer Man wrists can take it.

But just having something portable that is able to zip off just about any wheel nut/bolt, no questions asked, will be pretty nice. As well as all those things that are a bit too stuck for my other tools and annoying to do by hand because poo poo is spinning, like crank pulley bolts, axle and sprocket nuts and such.

I am also a dainty computer man built guy and hoo boy, that thing all but picked me up and tossed me the one time I ran into the one screw it couldn’t bust. Do not recommend.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

You need to attach the 12.0 Ah battery as a counterweight.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If anyone already has Makita batteries or Chinese I’m Makita knockoff batteries (hopefully from tiny chainsaws come see us in the AliExpress thread) I have a drill and an impact that use those both were under $20 shipped. By no means do I say I would trust these but I love both. The drill is my main buffer drill and the impact has not failed on a lug nut yet. Search 18v (insert tool name) if you want to dumpster dive on AliExpress. Just pick one with hundreds of good reviews.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Last week I asked myself why I only have 1 milwaukee charger. There have definitely been times it would have been nice to have, say, 3 chargers. Then I can plug in a bunch of dead batts and not worry about shuffling them all through the one charger.

Used Milwaukee Rapid Charger $27 w/ free shipping, accepts returns.

The charger arrived today. It is genuine and absolutely brand new (no box tho). No scratches on the electrical contacts, so I don't think it's ever been plugged in. It's pretty clear some company bought a bunch of kits for the tool + battery, and is dumping the chargers.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
My buddy runs a company which, depending on the job, will toss a tech on a plane at an hours notice and send them to a job site across the US. First stop off the plane is Home Depot to outfit the tech for the job, on the project's dime. Because of this, he has dozens and dozens of chargers, hundreds of batteries, quadruplicate's of tools, bags, ect. It's an impressive logistics problem (ironically for jobs with one of the largest logistics companies in the US none the less) and he's finally realized it would be better to do exactly what that company does, by selling off the redundant pieces.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I got the six pack charger a while back. 3 ports each for M12 and M18. Will rapid charge up to 3 batteries at a time.
I had the same problem, use up a bunch of batteries and waste a lot of time shuffling them on and off the single non-rapid charger. gently caress that poo poo.
Now between the two chargers I have, I can plug in 8 of my batteries and leave them bitches, come back in the morning and they're all good.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
This is one part request for advice, one part ranting.

First of all, this needs to happen in the EU.

For my new garage, I'm looking for one or two big honking tool boxes with ball bearing drawers. I don't care about wheels, they will likely never be wheeled anywhere. I do care about quality and value, and I would really like them to be about 600mm deep. Density is key.

So far, I've been able to find three tiers:

1) USD/EUR 500 ish boxes from the equivalent of Harbour Freight, could be deeper, could feel nicer. Not a bad value.
2) Bacho E72 and E77. Twice the price of 1) and, after getting to actually fondle one, the same quality. Not a good value.
3) Lista. I would really, really like one (or two) but by God are they expensive. Like 3k euro expensive.

I'm halfway considering yelling fuckit and building my own out of Ikea kitchen drawers and 19mm plywood. Ikea warranties their drawers for 25 years...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have no advise but I'm considering making one myself using sendcutsend or oshcut, beefy slides, and my welder. I can't see myself paying snapon/lista prices.

Either that or I'll just buy one from a person trying to get out from under their tool loan after realizing that shops abuse their employees pretty badly on pay and it's not an industry they want to work in after all.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I personally wouldn't try to beat the likes of Harbor Freight or Husky at mid-quality toolbox manufacturing, especially in terms of quality-per-dollar. I guess it could make sense if you needed a very specialized solution, or were installing custom cabinets in your workshop, etc. But for a general purpose rolling toolbox? I think the big box vendors are pretty good at that, these days.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

the spyder posted:

My buddy runs a company which, depending on the job, will toss a tech on a plane at an hours notice and send them to a job site across the US. First stop off the plane is Home Depot to outfit the tech for the job, on the project's dime. Because of this, he has dozens and dozens of chargers, hundreds of batteries, quadruplicate's of tools, bags, ect. It's an impressive logistics problem (ironically for jobs with one of the largest logistics companies in the US none the less) and he's finally realized it would be better to do exactly what that company does, by selling off the redundant pieces.

Interesting! What do they do? Why doesnt the company have a go bag of high quality tools? Too much/heavy to pack in overhead and too urgent for checked bags?

EDIT: Thought your buddy was the tech, theyre the owner and selling off the tools.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Interesting! What do they do? Why doesnt the company have a go bag of high quality tools? Too much/heavy to pack in overhead and too urgent for checked bags?

EDIT: Thought your buddy was the tech, theyre the owner and selling off the tools.

It's a really interesting business, sorry I can't mention who the customer base is. Sometimes his techs are on jobs with crews of temp-workers assembling 1000's of warehouse components (shelves, low voltage wiring, AP's, sensors, cameras, office furniture, etc). Ever seen someone buy out both Home Depot and Harbor Freight of dead blow/rubber hammers before? Sometimes it's just a one or two person survey/job walk 5 states away. The type and number of tools needed for the techs and the temp's can wildly vary. The lead techs all carry go-bags, but some times you need to leave that bag at the job you're on and fly in to do an emergency repair/standup. Since everything they do can either be supplied by Home Depot/Lowes/Grainger/Fastenal, it's just built into the job cost for those truly last minute emergency projects that pop up. The handful of specialty tools required can be next day air/overnight shipped if/when needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CarForumPoster posted:

If nothing else, many tools can't go through a security checkpoint. I don't remember the rules exactly, but anything metal over a certain length is banned so you can't use it as a club.