Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I don't know if he's doing that great of a job because the throne is literally rotting him away

That's symbolism for the fact that his job sucks and it's killing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I had forgotten about Jon backstabbing her. I just remember people being annoyed about Bran and thinking Dany was Hillary, and of course that was the point that anything you didn't like was Bernie Sanders so i thought maybe.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bernie was already High Sparrow, but there were definitely some Bernie is Jon takes too yeah

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Communist Thoughts posted:

its a shame the show cut out tyrions arc with the underage dwarf girl who rides a pig and falls in love with him

Grrm writes what he knows

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like you're forgetting some people here. Basically every character was dealt with in a stupid way as they were wrapping the story up.

I frankly don't even remember what happens with Arya, Sansa or brienne. Or tormund, ghost and nymeria. The hound dies against his brother iirc. also, sam??

they're probably just all at the final scene voting for bran because they didn't end up doing anything else

loquacius posted:

Are there any Tullys left or do the Stark kids count for them too

blackfish dies off screen, edmure...is just hanging around? i think? no one gives a poo poo none of it matters

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Oct 6, 2022

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Also what's with HOTD trying to make a big deal out of the dagger and Targaryen visions when it's Arya that ends up with the dagger for some reason

it doesn't work, it's better just not to bother
or do what they should have done and say "well that loving sucked, alright let's give everyone all the money and get some real writers to have a redo of those last two seasons because uh... GRMM gave us some new pages or whatever"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

I thought Catelyn's dweeby younger brother was still alive by the end of the show, but he might not actually be in that voting scene. He spends a bunch of time being captive IIRC.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

In the rewritten show finale, instead of doing a war crime, Dany becomes the best queen ever and makes it the seven queendoms instead and at her inauguration she hugs her nephew-husband Jon and does the thing from that Jude Doyle "victory Hillary" tweet where she whispers to him that he will never be this important

(I wanted to find it but it's deleted :()

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Did the palpable giving up on the difficult parts of writing happen after the show runners were offered a Star Wars movie?

I realize running out of source material made their jobs more difficult but the total collapse seems a bit more than that, since they’d been writing those characters for years by then and surely had an idea of how to write and resolve their arcs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

projecthalaxy posted:

I had forgotten about Jon backstabbing her. I just remember people being annoyed about Bran and thinking Dany was Hillary, and of course that was the point that anything you didn't like was Bernie Sanders so i thought maybe.
I think he frontstabbed her actually.

loquacius posted:

Edmure Tully is repopulating the Riverlands with the cutest girl in all of the Seven Kingdoms.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

C-Euro posted:

I thought Catelyn's dweeby younger brother was still alive by the end of the show, but he might not actually be in that voting scene. He spends a bunch of time being captive IIRC.

I looked it up and not only is he there, he gets a scene to be buffoon so that Sansa can billy him and show off how powerful she is now

I hindsight I remember takes about how Sansa is now the true power in westeros since she essentially controls 3 regions (vale, riverrun, winterfell) and has a brother on the throne

I'm remembering more and more moments that pissed me off and nothing will get me as bad as Ramsay's men having zero reaction to a giant showing up on the battlefield - something of legend that they think isn't real. Ho hum. They just fight him while he paws ineffectively at the soldiers, then is killed so that they don't have to deal with a giant the rest of the show

That happens well before cersei is proven right that the walkers can't get past the wall and you can just ignore them

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:32 on Oct 6, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ramsay was the biggest Mary Sue in the show really

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Did the show do the sequence where Theon's sister tried to rescue him but he was too broken by Ramsay's psychological torture to trust her, or was that books-only? I don't remember which one that was from

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Best part about this scene in the show is that pretty much every Important Family that was around at the start of the show is still standing by the end and casting a vote lol. I think the Freys were the only ones killed off entirely, Tyrion is the only surviving Lannister at the end but the whole "vote for a king" scheme was his idea to begin with. Even the manchild from the Vale gets a say.

I am reading Fire and Blood right now, and it's not hesitating to wipe out entire noble families. We're stuck with prequels in every major media franchise right now because producers are terrified to disrupt the status quo. We can only explore how we got here, not where we're going, unless the existing main characters get to stay the main characters forever.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Did the palpable giving up on the difficult parts of writing happen after the show runners were offered a Star Wars movie?

The very second they were told they could make their "the south wins the Civil war" show

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

loquacius posted:

Did the show do the sequence where Theon's sister tried to rescue him but he was too broken by Ramsay's psychological torture to trust her, or was that books-only? I don't remember which one that was from

That was in the show too, yeah.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

They made a Star Wars sequel, and were only able to do it by retroactively undoing everything that was accomplished in the original movies and making them completely pointless

The real issue here is that they need to recognize when a story is done, when a narrative is complete and needs no more telling, but that would mean ceasing to monetize a valuable IP, so they're just kind of throwing poo poo at the wall

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

did people decide the new got show was interesting when I wasn't looking

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

It started off mediocre and has gotten better (it's now Okay)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm still not up to date on it though, I've now seen 5 episodes (which is about when we started getting posts ITT from people who were angry about incest)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

yeah no incest rules for sure *turns back to bar*

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Buck Wildman posted:

if you're willingly watching a show about a famously incest-ridden noble family you should be aware what you're getting into

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I prefer my incest to be abstractly represented via arabaesque

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

I got some bad news for you about the most recent episode.

Also I'm going to take a moment to whine about how the other important family in HOTD is called the Velaryons. Could GRRM have picked a name that sounds just a little more different from "Valyria"?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

loquacius posted:

if you're willingly watching a show about a famously incest-ridden noble family you should be aware what you're getting into
Admittedly, the incest is increasing in both width and depth(s of depravity) as the show goes on, with two new brother-sister pairings being suggested in the last episode plus another older pairing getting consumated.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I mean it is the spinoff about the family who was "cuckoo for incest" in the original, feels kinda like being upset that there's Gluten in a cereal called Gluten-O's

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

loquacius posted:

They made a Star Wars sequel, and were only able to do it by retroactively undoing everything that was accomplished in the original movies and making them completely pointless

episode 9 was the worst movie i saw in theaters in the past decade i think

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Yeah they really gave up on that one.
The pacing was loving bonkers

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

episode 1 of GOT featured Cersei getting her back blown out by Jaime (they are fraternal twins)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

it's good, it did start a little slow but the most recent episode was great and setting up a v dramatic final few eps to the season. i think all the time jumping helps keep the pace swift and not bog things down

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Just a reminder that the only way to hear this broadcast from Palpatine was in-game in Fortnite lol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

DON'T OPEN JEDI INSIDE

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i just remember my partner and i going to the bathroom at the same time about halfway through ROS and were both like "this is really bad isn't it? like truly awful?" and agreeing and laughing

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I haven't been back inside a theater since, ruined the entire concept of cinema.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I haven't watched a star wars since the one where james bond was a storm trooper

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Buck Wildman posted:

DON'T OPEN JEDI INSIDE

DON'T JEDI OPEN INSIDE

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Just a reminder that the only way to hear this broadcast from Palpatine was in-game in Fortnite lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lmao

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol