Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Fuzz posted:

Then you're saddling him with 100 Bloodlines and unique Disciplines... did you even read what the dude wrote?

This isn't a first or second edition problem or even a Masquerade or Requiem problem, this is a "using everything published from every supplement published" problem. Spectralent sounds like they'd probably do well to restrict players to the contents of the corebook no matter which Vampire game they go with anyway, in which case the only point to take away here is "probably avoid 20th Anniversary Edition." But that's an outlier book that's deliberately trying to be every supplement published.

Re: covenants in an atomized world, my usual outlook on the Requiem setting is that the Invictus in one domain are unlikely to have much to do with the Invictus a couple domains over aside from some shared phone numbers in the favor books and knowledge of a few notaries who know the art of blood oaths. Covenants organize around local concerns and local history, and they happen to borrow and build upon a hazy received history of other covenants in the past, including a history of feuds. So it's easy for the new age manifestation cult in one domain to look back on the neopagan revivalists of a past domain and see a throughline that provides some easy names and identities to borrow and give them a shared structure, and they can bargain to share some Cruac if they lean on contributing a little soft power to an inherited feud with the charismatic Longinians of another domain. And I also still expect plenty of exception cases even under these rules: lots of domains that don't have representatives of some number of the five "standard" covenants, lots of domains with unique covenants of their own without a shared identity with anyone elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Which splat has the biggest genitals. Surely Phil Brucatos has thought about this.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Bogart posted:

Which splat has the biggest genitals. Surely Phil Brucatos has thought about this.

*Grabs the microphone* CHANGING BREEDS

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

I Am Just a Box posted:

This isn't a first or second edition problem or even a Masquerade or Requiem problem, this is a "using everything published from every supplement published" problem. Spectralent sounds like they'd probably do well to restrict players to the contents of the corebook no matter which Vampire game they go with anyway, in which case the only point to take away here is "probably avoid 20th Anniversary Edition." But that's an outlier book that's deliberately trying to be every supplement published.

Re: covenants in an atomized world, my usual outlook on the Requiem setting is that the Invictus in one domain are unlikely to have much to do with the Invictus a couple domains over aside from some shared phone numbers in the favor books and knowledge of a few notaries who know the art of blood oaths. Covenants organize around local concerns and local history, and they happen to borrow and build upon a hazy received history of other covenants in the past, including a history of feuds. So it's easy for the new age manifestation cult in one domain to look back on the neopagan revivalists of a past domain and see a throughline that provides some easy names and identities to borrow and give them a shared structure, and they can bargain to share some Cruac if they lean on contributing a little soft power to an inherited feud with the charismatic Longinians of another domain. And I also still expect plenty of exception cases even under these rules: lots of domains that don't have representatives of some number of the five "standard" covenants, lots of domains with unique covenants of their own without a shared identity with anyone elsewhere.

Broadly, I think it's correct to read the Lancea et Sanctum and Ordo Dracul as specific organizations with chapters across different continents that would recognize each other if they met, the Circle of the Crone as something that pops up like a weed because of certain artery-level occult truths uniting vampires generally, and the Invictus and Carthian Movement as archetypical survival strategies that may or may not cohere into named organizations in different places.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Ferrinus posted:

Broadly, I think it's correct to read the Lancea et Sanctum and Ordo Dracul as specific organizations with chapters across different continents that would recognize each other if they met, the Circle of the Crone as something that pops up like a weed because of certain artery-level occult truths uniting vampires generally, and the Invictus and Carthian Movement as archetypical survival strategies that may or may not cohere into named organizations in different places.

This seems right. I like to think there's at least some nominal national or international coordination between Invictus cells, like they recognize their members in other cities as being legit, but every prince knows that keeping nearby cities at arm's length prevents them from usurping your power.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Bogart posted:

Depicted or described? If the former, I believe Montreal By Night.

If described, Dudes of Legend.

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?

Fuzz posted:

Then you're saddling him with 100 Bloodlines and unique Disciplines...

I mostly kid - but if you can ignore Loresheets in V5 you can just as easily ignore Bloodlines in nWoD. I personally like both forms of the 'tie your character to the setting and get some mechanical advantages' bits - but the usual power creep and balance stuff is all there so I understand why some folks bin it.

Requiem 1E does specifically play up the 'each city is an island' idea - It was a later supplement which organized the Covenants into more international groups with more than just a shared history and powers.

So nothing stops you from ditching/reskinning Covenants you don't like - or even just making a domain organized by Clan and (non-mechanical) lineage related groups. You could tie clan-families to hunting grounds or even old influence groups - so you could have the Ventrue industrialists and the Ventrue high-societals as factions instead of Covenants, for example.

If you go nWod and not V5, just make sure to take a look at the disciplines in 1E vs 2E - they shifted focus a little and got more powerful in 2E for the most part, and that can be a shock coming from the earlier edition.

Gothic Rite fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 6, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

worm girl posted:

This seems right. I like to think there's at least some nominal national or international coordination between Invictus cells, like they recognize their members in other cities as being legit, but every prince knows that keeping nearby cities at arm's length prevents them from usurping your power.

The Invictus book goes into this a bit.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Free Cog posted:

Early promotional materials called it "Haglust" if I recall correctly. However, a Facebook comment from one of the board game tie-in developers more or less stated that the Get have indeed fallen to the Wyrm. Both of these things could be true; perhaps the Get got so pissed off that they ended up pulling off a White Howler-tier kind of a Really Bad Move.

To put more of a bow on this, it’s called “Hauglosk”, and yes, it sounds to be like an anti-Harano, where instead of falling into melancholy and despair, you double down on the zeal. I haven’t played Heart of the Forest yet so some of the finer details escape me, but it’s possible for your character in that game to join a tribe called “Vanir’s Wrath”, which I gather is a splinter tribe that hasn’t succumbed to Hauglosk.

I anticipate them getting the V5 Lasombra treatment and being made playable in a future supplement. Achilli also said in an interview that all 13 original tribes are still in the world, and that in addition to the fallen tribe, one went off to do their own thing. He didn’t outright say it, but that falls in line with the revised Stargazers, so they might also show up once more.

Free Cog
Feb 27, 2011

Free Gratis posted:

it’s called “Hauglosk”

I've never been so relieved to learn that I've spelled a word super wrong this whole time, thank you very much!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It should be Haglust though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Does Don't Hug Me I'm Scared work as a representation of Mage?

The characters exist in a false reality. Horror lurks behind the facade of their sham world. Things get really bad whenever they push through and learn more about True reality, but they continue to butt up against the confines of their false world.

Regardless, I'm tempted to work a CareHound into my Mage campaign.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Wittgen posted:

Does Don't Hug Me I'm Scared work as a representation of Mage?

An anthology of Changeling Durances.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
what about mummy

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

:perfect:

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Rutibex posted:

what about mummy

man vs rulebook

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

tatankatonk posted:

man vs rulebook

now do promethean

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dienes posted:

now do promethean

self vs man

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
absolutely wild how this works for chronicles just as well

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yeah, if you swap Wraith for Sin Eater and it's basically 1-for-1.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dienes posted:

now do promethean

Promethean would be all nine squares.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 10, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

:sickos:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

joylessdivision posted:

Yeah that's not Apocalypse 1e. I literally read it a couple of weeks back and reviewed it, I would have remembered all that poo poo.

I finally got around to digging out my 1e corebook, and yeah, other than a ton of art of naked women covered in fur, naked women covered in fur in chains, not naked women covered in fur with their breasts still drawn in detail under tank tops and what not, yeah, 1e actually wasn't that horny. It did start coming out in the supplements and was more codified in 2e.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

As someone who loved W:tA in the 90's in high school, and then grew up and realized how much racist and other bad baggage this game held, I'm hopeful about the W5 reboot. It looks promising, at least.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

I'm getting ready to start my V5 game again with my friend and she asked if I could write a recap of the game to the point we had left off so when we get back to playing she's caught up.

So I did, using my session notes and the recap notes I took immediately after a session ended and I'm shocked at a couple of things that I either didn't register at the time or something.

I accidentally wrote a plot where the Toreador Primogen has basically been plotting since her introduction in session 2 to take the player away from her sire which happened in our last session mostly because the players sire character was in the way so I had her gently caress off to Chicago with her own sire who showed up to collect her. It was only after going over my notes from the entire game to this point that I connected a whole bunch of background dots and realized that the Primogen introducing the player to her Coterie mate (who shares a sire with the players sire) in session 2, the player going to the primogen of her volition with useful information that further ingratied her to the Primogen in session 3 and then the "Oh I'll watch your childe while you gently caress off to Chicago for *Reasons*" was pretty good Kindred politics.

Also my player is semi-blood bound to one of her NPC Coterie mates (she wanted to learn Unseen Passage so) who is semi blood bound to the other NPC Coterie mate. :v: oops lol

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Also, Ratkin forever!

tesseract
Aug 28, 2004

[...]

tesseract fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 10, 2023

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013
I think that, like most of the rules for how a given All Night Society works, is just a bit of fluff meant to fuel the idea rather than stamp it out. If you try a mutual blood bond in an attempt to prevent either of you being enthralled to any other Kindred, well what do you know there is gonna be drama, maybe even a little bared fangs and hissing. I'm pretty sure I've read about certain domains banning blood bonds all together as well, so it's a take-it-or-leave-it situation, like pretty much all fluff and lore for VtR. I do agree that it stands out, being given a sidebar and all.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

tesseract posted:

Re both kindred politics and blood bounds, there is something I've been wondering.

In the 2nd ed Requiem main book there is a weird aside of how two vampires intentionally getting blood bound to *each other* is really hated in kindred society, and called a "perversion". Supposedly it's cause it let's them ignore kindred politics? Was there ever anything else written about that? I always felt it was a bit strangely dismissive on part of the writers for a character/plot concept, and more of an editorial mandate than actual world building. Was this ever a thing/issue in Masquerade?

edit: It's on pg100
edit2: The way it's written, it reads rather like a 1950's diatribe against homosexuality. It even has the "will always end in tragedy" bit.

So, the thing about that sidebar is that it subtly shifts perspective in the second paragraph from "why other kindred think it's an extremely bad idea" to "the justification mutually blood-bound vampires use to explain why the others are totally jealous of them." You can tell, because blood bonds absolutely do not produce " eternal companionship and happiness," or "a couple that doesn’t care about the barbed words of courtiers or the protocols of Elysium." What it actually produces is a massively self-destructive co-dependent relationship of spiraling obsession and jealousy, because blood bonds aren't expressions of love, they're a profoundly unhealthy supernaturally-induced addiction.

And also, yeah, like Baby Broomer said, "it's illegal in lots of domains" isn't "dismissing it as a character/plot concept," it's adding extra drama to the character/plot concept.

And yes, AFAIR Masquerade also had "some vampires blood-bond to each other intentionally because they think it's a profound expression of eternal love and they usually end up destroying each other because vampirism is a metaphor for toxic relationships."

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Is there a good source for sample Deviant characters (and Devoted and other Deviant-specific adversaries)? The core book has some examples but it's slim pickings and if there's a community resource out there where people have been starting up stuff it'd be handy for me to draw on for a one-off "escape the lab you've been confined in" scenario.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I can’t remember offhand but did Vitae addiction also carry over to 2e Requiem? If so that’s another very good reason why Kindred might be uneasy about a mutual bond.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

tesseract posted:

Re both kindred politics and blood bounds, there is something I've been wondering.

In the 2nd ed Requiem main book there is a weird aside of how two vampires intentionally getting blood bound to *each other* is really hated in kindred society, and called a "perversion". Supposedly it's cause it let's them ignore kindred politics? Was there ever anything else written about that? I always felt it was a bit strangely dismissive on part of the writers for a character/plot concept, and more of an editorial mandate than actual world building. Was this ever a thing/issue in Masquerade?

edit: It's on pg100
edit2: The way it's written, it reads rather like a 1950's diatribe against homosexuality. It even has the "will always end in tragedy" bit.

It was raised in 1e by the Ordo Dracul sourcebook, because one of the Coils in 1e allowed a mutual bond set up to basically feed as a closed loop (you gained one extra vitae when drinking from someone bound to you or somesuch - it's been a while and my book's buried deep in a storage locker somewhere).

Ordo Dracul called it a "Hungarian Marriage" without further context. I remember because my chronicle at the time was set in Budapest and I liked the idea that a mutual bond had gone so horribly terribly wrong at some point that Kindred world-wide knew it as an apocryphal story.

Anyways, without the self-sustaining part of it, Requiem 2e can go in on "this is a bad idea".

And yeah, it's because of what happens when one half of the bond has an accident. And because 2e greatly emphasises that if bonding causes "love", then it's horribly possessive, jealous, life-ruining love.

tesseract
Aug 28, 2004

[...]

tesseract fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 10, 2023

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I mean, the blood bond is explicitly written as being the dealer that gets you hooked on heroin; you'll do anything to keep your supply up. Right down to the 'you know you shouldn't want this, but you can't stop yourself from wanting it.'

So, what happens when two addicts become each other's heroin dealers?

tesseract
Aug 28, 2004

[...]

tesseract fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 10, 2023

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, the blood bond is explicitly written as being the dealer that gets you hooked on heroin; you'll do anything to keep your supply up. Right down to the 'you know you shouldn't want this, but you can't stop yourself from wanting it.'

So, what happens when two addicts become each other's heroin dealers?

Requiem for a Dream and Trainspotting come to mind.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
But with tzimisce around, you really don't want to see rear end to rear end

tesseract
Aug 28, 2004

[...]

tesseract fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision