Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

haveblue posted:

the 5000 series GPUs will be your case. there will be a little slot to install the rest of the PC in

i will not be at all surprised if it goes this way

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
thats basically what the Ghost Canyon NUCs are

more or less its a two slot pcie backplane. one for the computer, another for the gpu

there were rumors people were trying to figure out how to put the computer card into a regular PC so you could have a computer in your computer and post while you post. dunno how that ever shook out.

--

anyways i do not get why people are freaking out over the 4090[founders]. its appropriately sized for its heat dissipation and nvidia has stated multiple times that right now the 4xxx line is an enthusiast line. they're going to keep selling 3x cards for a while, so if you can not deal with a 4-slot card, just pick up a 3060 or whatever and it'll be Fine.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cold on a Cob posted:

i can't visually tell the difference between 4K and 8K

i got a 4k tv couple years ago. it didnt immediately look like the displays at best buy. i asked a c/w why it didnt look like best buy. their explanation was the reason i stopped caring about a/v forever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
good displays are good if you have the content built for them. my computer has a 28" 1440 high refresh because i play video game. it looks good.

my tv is a decade old 720p samsung 40" because all i watch is old movies and ds9. there is zero point in me getting a 4k tv. i was shopping a few weeks ago but the 42-46" commercial displays (i refuse to buy a smart tv and shut the gently caress up with your just-dont-connect-it-to-wifi poo poo) are like 800 bucks+

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jonny 290 posted:

--

anyways i do not get why people are freaking out over the 4090[founders]. its appropriately sized for its heat dissipation and nvidia has stated multiple times that right now the 4xxx line is an enthusiast line. they're going to keep selling 3x cards for a while, so if you can not deal with a 4-slot card, just pick up a 3060 or whatever and it'll be Fine.

card is big

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

i can't visually tell the difference between 4K and 8K, even on extremely large screens. i think we're hitting the limits of needing to improve resolution.

i could see something coming along that improves on hdr10 or dolby vision, tvs with even better gamut/dynamic range, etc though
I feel like I can barely notice the difference from anything above 1080p for tv shows in most cases, and for a lot of stuff I'm not convinced the difference between 720p and 1080p even matters

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the biggest bang for my (employer's) buck i've had is upgrading my work ext monitor to an ultrawide and i'm tempted to upgrade my kinda lovely 4K monitor at home to an ultrawide to match

(my employer is too cheap to buy me an ultrawide for home so i'm on my own there)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

cards actually a little smaller than 3090 founders. Cooler is big. slap a block on it

mystes
May 31, 2006

For monitors/text it makes more of a difference. I'm on a 2k monitor currently but I definitely imagine that at some point I will want a 4k one.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the 6090 will be a recreation of the cray sofa. very here for it.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

gf doom

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

cards actually a little smaller than 3090 founders. Cooler is big. slap a block on it

nvidia has a reputation for being a difficult company to work with, eg the apple spat that's ongoing, or evga peacing out from selling graphics cards going forward. it's also a waste of resources. i'd like to see graphics go the way of soundcards, and end up w/ integrated memory shared w/ the proc, just allocate it based on usage. that's where apple is going with it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

something’s gotta change for sure, I understand why cards are so gigantic now but at this point maybe we should explore new and more efficient ideas. I have 12gb of vram and haven’t really seen it get maxed out, but I also have only 16gb ram which bottlenecks everything

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

is this an apple brain thing? if your gpu is too big, too hot, but also has too much too fast memory maybe you're actually doing it wrong buying the most expensive one

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
this is what I hope every new lunch spot brings me….

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

is this an apple brain thing? if your gpu is too big, too hot, but also has too much too fast memory maybe you're actually doing it wrong buying the most expensive one

well no since it does need it sometimes, depends on the game. being able to share its resources more efficiently when not being maxed out would be a boon regardless of what GPU you chose

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

mystes posted:

I feel like I can barely notice the difference from anything above 1080p for tv shows in most cases, and for a lot of stuff I'm not convinced the difference between 720p and 1080p even matters

Live TV is generally 720p, and cable TV is always super compressed. Using a commercial display with cable TV is not great, no resampling or block removal, a lot of banding.

With a 80” screen you can see that FHD/1080p isn’t too great, but step back enough and it’s not really an issue unless the stream is heavily compressed. Banding and narrow colour gamut are the major problems.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[Calendering Intensifies]

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kazinsal posted:

we're reaching a perf/watt wall so the only way to increase perf is to increase wattage

the new ATX 3.0 PCIe power connector pushes 600 watts over a 12-pin cable with 4 aux pins for power delivery negotiation directly with next-gen PSUs. and all that power turns into heat and all that heat has to go somewhere

Theres work towards "AI" upscaling with Intel and Nvidia. AMD has a general purpose upscaler that is used on consoles.

I really hope this trend continues so we can have higher resolution output without just throwing more watts at it.

On my 2070 using Nvidias Deep Learning super Sampling I get better image quality and frame rate with Anti aliasing disabled than I do at native resolution with anti aliasing on.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I've tried dlss in a bunch of games and turned it off p much every time, but ymmv may vary if you're looking at a 4k tv across a room instead of a 1440p monitor one foot away

dlss, unfortunately, isn't really a viable idea if you're actually close enough to be bothered by, for example, AA being off or whatever

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I want a 2880p screen. 4K at computer display sizes is double-1080p and 1080p display geometry is awful. double-1440p would be perfect.

i've wanted this for i think almost five years now and all this time there's been this one LG display on the market and nothing else and said display is probably a piece of over priced early adopter crap. when will the panel factories start making 2880p displays.

Broken Machine posted:

nvidia has a reputation for being a difficult company to work with, eg the apple spat that's ongoing, or evga peacing out from selling graphics cards going forward. it's also a waste of resources. i'd like to see graphics go the way of soundcards, and end up w/ integrated memory shared w/ the proc, just allocate it based on usage. that's where apple is going with it

then you're going to have to have GDDR system RAM just like video game consoles

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sapozhnik posted:

Not necessarily, right? Couldn't you just do 8 channel RAM like apple does? 8 channel DDR5 would meet graphics bandwidth needs.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

burning swine posted:

I've tried dlss in a bunch of games and turned it off p much every time, but ymmv may vary if you're looking at a 4k tv across a room instead of a 1440p monitor one foot away

dlss, unfortunately, isn't really a viable idea if you're actually close enough to be bothered by, for example, AA being off or whatever

It certainly has some odd effects like how everything in Control is kinda wobbly but text on objects such as stenciled writing on walls is super sharp. I guess the algorithm knows what letters should look like moreso than other random objects.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MrQueasy posted:

this is what I hope every new lunch spot brings me….

quality av/post combo

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Chandelier lookin rear end computer

https://twitter.com/justinsink/status/1578089942231678986

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:shitman:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

loving smooth

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
ima try it out

Sapozhnik posted:

I want a 2880p screen. 4K at computer display sizes is double-1080p and 1080p display geometry is awful. double-1440p would be perfect.

i've wanted this for i think almost five years now and all this time there's been this one LG display on the market and nothing else and said display is probably a piece of over priced early adopter crap. when will the panel factories start making 2880p displays.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I bought that over a year ago lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

akadajet posted:

I bought that over a year ago lol

Haptical Sales Slut