Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/khamenei_ir/status/1576952628075823105

this seems to hew along the narrow criticism that while the protests were not started by the West, they're certainly being exploited by the West for their own cynical purposes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

I dunno, considering that women are a bare majority of most populations, I find that unlikely

Unless there really is a large share of women who like the morality police enforcing their head coverings? If so I guess bootlickers come from all nations, genders, and creeds

Hey man, I really wouldn’t describe all women on the conservative side of the equation as a bunch of bootlickers.

What the hell happened to this subforum.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ardennes posted:

Hey man, I really wouldn’t describe all women on the conservative side of the equation as a bunch of bootlickers.

What the hell happened to this subforum.

Is this a joke? "On the conservative side"?

Someone who supports a police force that beats, arrests, and even murders women for not complying with religious sartorial practices is a bootlicker. If you feel that is a defensible position for a person to hold we live in different moral universes.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
All cops are bastards(unless communist)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenRoth/status/1577323295409676288

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

RIP to a real one

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1577387544886489088

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

'tis better to burn bright and fade than only simmer along

rip king

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wow they already put out the biopic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J7_asx6X4k

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

this shan’t be the last we hear of him

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

The mods claimed another account. :rip:

https://twitter.com/Sprinter99880/status/1577389917180932096?s=20&t=8skRVUfqTgDYSAteXeCh2g

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/middleeast/status/1577653510245605376

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Iraq becoming its own independent power player now :unsmith:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is this a joke? "On the conservative side"?

Someone who supports a police force that beats, arrests, and even murders women for not complying with religious sartorial practices is a bootlicker. If you feel that is a defensible position for a person to hold we live in different moral universes.

You can call them what you want but regardless it is clear not only men support the government especially in rural areas.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ardennes posted:

You can call them what you want but regardless it is clear not only men support the government especially in rural areas.

Ah, then that makes it OK, thanks for your insight on the matter

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

Ah, then that makes it OK, thanks for your insight on the matter

It reminds me of the debates about Islam immediately after 9/11.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ardennes posted:

It reminds me of the debates about Islam immediately after 9/11.

You can support an oppressed group fighting for their own emancipation from oppression without arguing for foreign intervention, you know. Or what, do you think the uppity city women need to sit down, shut up, and wear the veil?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

You can support an oppressed group fighting for their own emancipation from oppression without arguing for foreign intervention, you know. Or what, do you think the uppity city women need to sit down, shut up, and wear the veil?

There is a moral absolute that the West needs to comment on besides doing the exact same thing for slightly different reasons.

You don’t have to support the Basij or whatever to say that all of this is hollow.

“Everyone should overthrow their governments…but you first.”

Nevertheless, it does speak to a sever social and political divide in Iran that isn’t going to ending any time soon.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Oct 5, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There's a lot of bootlickers here too.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

What if instead of overthrowing the theocracy, the uprising forces it to enact a lot of reforms to placate the protesters

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Maximo Roboto posted:

What if instead of overthrowing the theocracy, the uprising forces it to enact a lot of reforms to placate the protesters

I wonder if they really would go so far as to get rid of the morality police though. That seems kind of baked in with the whole theocracy thing. And I'm not sure what meaningful reforms would fall short of that.

It'd be way better in the short term if reforms are possible than some kind of civil war, I imagine

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Substantial reforms are extremely unlikely imo, especially if Khamenei really is in poor health, because it would absolutely be viewed as a sign of regime weakness, and the Basij in particular are one of the strongest pillars supporting the regime. Strict hijab enforcement was Raisi's baby, and he's the frontrunner to replace Khamenei, so it would be a huge walkback. Khamenei blaming the protests on the US and Israel doesn't seem like an indication that he's planning to concede they have legitimate concerns either.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/AthertonKD/status/1577737648571138057

why cant we do both

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

https://twitter.com/billmaher/status/1577347771081728000?s=20&t=BY6a1Cc5-Tpx2-j25ssGGg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ranarahimpour/status/1577521861390471175?t=pTFNNPj2OVQICYqhNNKEUg&s=19

This does not look like a lot of hair at all

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loling that a full third of that video is just credits

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

are they cutting their hair based on a comic showing a metaphor or is that a thing actual protesters in iran are doing

edit oh lol what a joke. i cut off an inch of one curl of hair, i'm an activist now

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/haramcart/status/1578009247539171328?cxt=HHwWgMDUvZnDm-YrAAAA

diaspora takes are so ftw

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

i say swears online posted:

are they cutting their hair based on a comic showing a metaphor or is that a thing actual protesters in iran are doing

edit oh lol what a joke. i cut off an inch of one curl of hair, i'm an activist now

It's a thing at least some protesters in Iran are actually doing. This version is basically stolen valor though.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was born and raised in America but i lived in Iran for a year lol

she's probably in therapy for ten years because she's born and raised in America. It's either a lifetime of pills or shooting a school.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i saw the idf gently caress up a palestinian kid my age with no feet when i was fourteen and it pretty strongly affected my worldview forever. that lady sucks tho lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

we know the take shes attacking is crazy and terrible because it flashes by the screen so fast we cant even read it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

pathetic

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

that'll show em

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

those fools! iranian morality police are against hair, by cutting it off they play directly into the ayatollahs hands...

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mr. Lobe posted:

How can we, a bunch of foreigners, materially support them without foreign intervention?

Mans posted:

I was born and raised in America but i lived in Iran for a year lol

she's probably in therapy for ten years because she's born and raised in America. It's either a lifetime of pills or shooting a school.

How was living there? I've always wanted to visit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

iran has been #1 on places i want to see for more than a decade

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

Weka posted:

How was living there? I've always wanted to visit.

Iran is a dark place, a modern-day Mordor where the people never see the sun, day or night. Where once they were a proud and noble people, stout and honorable and great lovers of ale, they have now become evil dwarves (called duergar).

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

as long as there's a mcdonald's, that sounds fine

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Weka posted:

How can we, a bunch of foreigners, materially support them without foreign intervention?

We can't, really, beyond moral support and advocating for open borders for any political refugees seeking asylum. It sucks but it's an ugly fact of being in the belly of the beast that the beast can't be used as a force for good, certainly not by any well-meaning leftist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Don't you worry that moral support is useful as part of the consent manufacturing apparatus while having no real benefit to Iranians?

i say swears online posted:

as long as there's a mcdonald's, that sounds fine

Mashdonalds?