Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Let's Go Brandon The Broken

he’s more of a Brandor imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Rise of Skywalker was the last movie I saw in theaters pre-COVID and also some kid walked into the theater a couple of minutes before it started and spoiled the ending for everyone there.

Lmao

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

i just remember my partner and i going to the bathroom at the same time about halfway through ROS and were both like "this is really bad isn't it? like truly awful?" and agreeing and laughing

the last hour or so was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen in a theater

I remember actually guffawing at the part where Rey holds up the ancient Sith dagger to the crashed death star in order to find the hidden treasure!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

why did palpatine warn people at all
why not just show up with his giant fleet and army and blow up all the alliance poo poo or whatever

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
I was so bored by the second half of ros I started passing the time by counting the seconds between cuts. It mostly never goes past 1.5 Mississippis

Producer: The kids like it when the movies go more faster :downsa:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the last hour or so was one of the funniest movies I've ever seen in a theater

I remember actually guffawing at the part where Rey holds up the ancient Sith dagger to the crashed death star in order to find the hidden treasure!

which would only work if she was standing at that exact spot/angle lmao

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

drat horror queefs posted:

I was so bored by the second half of ros I started passing the time by counting the seconds between cuts. It mostly never goes past 1.5 Mississippis

the movie introduces a love interest for Poe and then resolves their arc together within the span of like 5 minutes.

There are just so many bizarre choices, all overlapping and crashing into each other, I do honestly think it's worth watching just because it's such a loving mess.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

which would only work if she was standing at that exact spot/angle lmao

The Death Star loving blew up! I saw it blow up into a billion bajillion pieces! There was no loving shell coming crashing down afterwards, that poo poo was loving GONE

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DynamicSloth posted:

I haven't been back inside a theater since, ruined the entire concept of cinema.

Go see top gun 2

re: sw9 , i was going to compare
the opening 4 minutes or so of rise of skywalker, which is a mostly nonverbal montage of action to set the stage for the movie (since they forgot to set the stage in prior movies)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6rb1YlPDgE

to athena's insanely good opening scene that i can't get enough of. but really, nothing can compare to that skywalker opening. it's so insane , and then has the equally insane lightspeed skipping, and then just keeps moving! i can't believe it

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Oct 6, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

loquacius posted:

They made a Star Wars sequel, and were only able to do it by retroactively undoing everything that was accomplished in the original movies and making them completely pointless

The real issue here is that they need to recognize when a story is done, when a narrative is complete and needs no more telling, but that would mean ceasing to monetize a valuable IP, so they're just kind of throwing poo poo at the wall

I’ve never seen it put like that before but goddamn.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nichael posted:

what the gently caress

Yep. John was 53 in 1993 and Kelsey is 67 now. No one ever loving retires.

Xaris posted:

hollywood went through this weird period through the 80s-90s where you had a whole new generation like tom hanks ot tom cruise or bradd pitt or w/e playing actual 20 year old homeowners and stuff when they were actually 20-something, then they just stuck with them forever so 3 decades later you still have tom hanks playing a supposed 20-year old but he looks like 60. it really skews your perspective of age a lot when you're young and you grew up watching 50-60 year olds playing 30 year olds

at least there's been a revolving door the past several years with actual actors playing something age-similar, like florence pugh is now a thing.

I'm more commenting on the fact that NO ONE loving RETIRES anymore. Forget "oh the studios just want XYZ actors", the actors themselves never retire. Hell, no one retires. Even people who fully could retire, who have and either full complete careers, or multiple careers, just keep working well into and through their 70's and 80's.

I was talking with my dad about this because of the Terry Bradshaw cancer "drama" that happened recently. The man is 74 years old. He has had a full football career, and been a broadcast commentator 37 years. His Football career was only 13 years. And he's still going. Same with the rest of the main crop of football studio/color commentators. Same with business and politics. NO ONE loving RETIRES ANYMORE.

In the 90s the Greatest Generation, by the time they hit 50, was done and tired and they were gonna grill and watch some loving tv goddammit. Now the boomers have blown past that by two decades and are trying to go full cyborg to keep grinding away for some god forsaken reason.

The Death Star loving blew up! I saw it blow up into a billion bajillion pieces! There was no loving shell coming crashing down afterwards, that poo poo was loving GONE
This is cannon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sFbLppuhhs

Crain has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Oct 6, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

it was almost unwatchable. contrast like children of men (GOAT) vs ros and die from whiplash.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Crain posted:

I'm more commenting on the fact that NO ONE loving RETIRES anymore. Forget "oh the studios just want XYZ actors", the actors themselves never retire. Hell, no one retires. Even people who fully could retire, who have and either full complete careers, or multiple careers, just keep working well into and through their 70's and 80's.

I was talking with my dad about this because of the Terry Bradshaw cancer "drama" that happened recently. The man is 74 years old. He has had a full football career, and been a broadcast commentator 37 years. His Football career was only 13 years. And he's still going. Same with the rest of the main crop of football studio/color commentators. Same with business and politics. NO ONE loving RETIRES ANYMORE.

In the 90s the Greatest Generation, by the time they hit 50, was done and tired and they were gonna grill and watch some loving tv goddammit. Now the boomers have blown past that by two decades and are trying to go full cyborg to keep grinding away for some god forsaken reason.
oh yea. why would you retire and want to spend time with your bitch wife and kids??? work ftw

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Xaris posted:

oh yea. why would you retire and want to spend time with your bitch wife and kids??? work ftw

Tom Brady spent 3 months with his kids and supermodel wife and decided "gently caress this I'll die on the field".

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Xaris posted:

millennials don't have families so we're going to check out ASAP to grill and stream TV

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crain posted:

People generally want to do stuff, and they've spent literally decades being told "doing stuff" means working a job. Like, they hear the thing about people's mental faculties starting to deteriorate the moment they retire and come to the conclusion that they shouldn't, rather than find a hobby that will keep them mentally challenged.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Crain posted:

Tom Brady spent 3 months with his kids and supermodel wife and decided "gently caress this I'll die on the field".

dudes rock

War and Pieces posted:

millennials don't have families so we're going to check out ASAP to grill and stream TV
lol thats my plan. although they raised the full pension age from 55 to 67 in 2013 so rip. i can still get like 30% pension tho at 55 vs 80% at 67 so who knows, maybe i'll do that. we have had a healthy number of people who actually retired at 55 here but also there's people that have been here for like 40 years and doing it for funsies even though they could have got out 15+ years ago

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if someone wrote me a check for tend grand I'd just rent a cabin in the sierra madres and only come back when I'm broke

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Xaris posted:

Daniel Day Lewis and John Carpenter are the only showbiz people I can think of that actually retired and they both were like "gently caress you I'mma go play Xbox"

I guess Elton John says he's retiring from touring after this one so... musicians sometimes do to I guess.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I think there probably is a desire to retire even among people that wealthy, but when you get offered a ridiculous amount of money to like portray a character you made famous for a 30 second super bowl spot or do two days of acting on a green screen set over a weekend, how can you say no to it? Like even if it were DIFFICULT work, imagine someone offering you $6 million to do your old job one last time after you retire. That's a lot of money to turn down! Lot's of financial security and extra christmas presents for the grandkids.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't see an issue with musicians not retiring. It's not like someone else gets to be Phil Collins now that he can't perform anymore.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

love to see james hetfield lazily play master of puppets while lecturing the audience on personal responsibility

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I think there probably is a desire to retire even among people that wealthy, but when you get offered a ridiculous amount of money to like portray a character you made famous for a 30 second super bowl spot or do two days of acting on a green screen set over a weekend, how can you say no to it? Like even if it were DIFFICULT work, imagine someone offering you $6 million to do your old job one last time after you retire. That's a lot of money to turn down! Lot's of financial security and extra christmas presents for the grandkids.
Yeah, any kind of famous actor or musician has more incentive to not truly desire, and a lot easier time returning from retirement. Meanwhile, retirement probably kills most people's ability to return to the workforce in any meaningful sense, or if they do, it's at much lower pay. Unless you're absolutely sure you're set for life, it's pretty risky to just retire.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Daniel Day Lewis and John Carpenter are the only showbiz people I can think of that actually retired and they both were like "gently caress you I'mma go play Xbox"

I guess Elton John says he's retiring from touring after this one so... musicians sometimes do to I guess.

He's a loving liar. Him and Cher have been on their worldwide "goodbye" tour for 30 years.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
Musicians make music in their spare time anyway, for fun. It's not shocking they would have the capacity to release albums until they die of old age.

It's the real, no-poo poo psychos with literally nothing else in their lives that they value who want to work 70 hours a week as the VP of HR until they're forced out at the age of 84

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Musicians make music in their spare time anyway, for fun. It's not shocking they would have the capacity to release albums until they die of old age.

It's the real, no-poo poo psychos with literally nothing else in their lives that they value who want to work 70 hours a week as the VP of HR until they're forced out at the age of 84
Those psychos boss people around in their spare time anyway, for fun. It's not shocking that they stay in those jobs.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Thrones at least (in the good seasons and books) is all about how the aristocracy is a bunch of entitled petulant children who make the world worse by existing. Downton is just straight up class war propaganda about how much nicer things are when the undeserving peasants know their place and are properly slavish working 18 hour days 7 days a week, and the aristocracy makes the world better just by existing, and really the Irish were in the wrong rebelling don’t you know.

i mean, this is kind of like the truffaut quote about how it's impossible to make an anti-war movie. GoT has the moral that "monarchs and aristocrats are bad," but it delivers that message by showing a bunch of cool badass aristocrats and monarchs pulling off sneaky schemes and commanding armies and sitting on cool thrones made out of swords. i think you need only look at the GoT fanbase to conclude that it's not exactly getting its moral across

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

People generally want to do stuff, and they've spent literally decades being told "doing stuff" means working a job. Like, they hear the thing about people's mental faculties starting to deteriorate the moment they retire and come to the conclusion that they shouldn't, rather than find a hobby that will keep them mentally challenged.

Also being told that your worth as a human being is tied to your productivity.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Also being told that your worth as a human being is tied to your productivity.

and Brandon's inflation is eating away at my pension!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Very unfair that the generation that can retire, won't. And the generation that wants to retire, can't.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my dad is 70 and is a city bus driver working 12 hour days and it makes me sad :)

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

nobody wants to work retire anymore

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Those psychos boss people around in their spare time anyway, for fun. It's not shocking that they stay in those jobs.

Lol fair enough

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

also the celestial object the wreckage was on was not the forest moon of Endor, which the death star was orbiting when it was destroyed (is Endor the forest moon or the main planet? the forested moon of the Endor system? idk), it was just some other place

e: apparently it crashed on the ocean moon of Endor, probably because the wreckage was deflected by an anti-intellectual property forcefield which the rebels could not afford to penetrate with cash-based weapons

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Somehow, the throne room returned

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

DynamicSloth posted:

I haven't been back inside a theater since, ruined the entire concept of cinema.

Dune rocked

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Justin Tyme posted:

also the celestial object the wreckage was on was not the forest moon of Endor, which the death star was orbiting when it was destroyed (is Endor the forest moon or the main planet? the forested moon of the Endor system? idk), it was just some other place

e: apparently it crashed on the ocean moon of Endor, probably because the wreckage was deflected by an anti-intellectual property forcefield which the rebels could not afford to penetrate with cash-based weapons

I wish they'd made the Ewok Holocaust theory canon

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I wish they'd made the Ewok Holocaust theory canon

they'd have to pay a million per on-screen ewok and 10 million up front for even mentioning ewoks exist to the Lucas estate!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Justin Tyme posted:

they'd have to pay a million per on-screen ewok and 10 million up front for even mentioning ewoks exist to the Lucas estate!!!

ewok is an anagram for woke