Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Filthy Hans posted:

ewok is an anagram for woke
thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Just a reminder that the only way to hear this broadcast from Palpatine was in-game in Fortnite lol

this is still one of the funniest/dumbest things I’ve ever heard

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Ben Shapiro just felt a chill down his spine and he doesn't know why

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Filthy Hans posted:

get ewok, go bewok.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Filthy Hans posted:

rewriting my 500 pages ring theory thesis based on this revelation.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dont care about this gay rear end star wars talk

i rewatched drive yesterday and love this opening scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHYaj6EHfJg

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

dont care about this gay rear end star wars talk

i rewatched drive yesterday and love this opening scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHYaj6EHfJg

drive is good. if you like nicolas winding refn, don't sleep on his 2019 Too Old to Die Young movie-series thing. it's great and cspammy. good watch at 1am while stoned

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/supermariomovie/status/1578116647893827594

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol brooklyn italian, not italian italian

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

:whitewater:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

It sounds so bad

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Cautious optimism: I gotta say they did a good job of staying away from the majority of the poo poo everyone was predicting they were gonna do, in THIS trailer anyway, remains to be seen if the rest of the movie follows that pattern

The one joke in the trailer (Toad's mushroom thing) wasn't funny but it didn't make me roll my eyes or wince, and I don't think there were any Whedonisms in it

i say swears online posted:

lol brooklyn italian, not italian italian

tbf all Mario voices pre-Martinet followed this precedent

We didn't hear much of Pratt's Mario voice but I'm hoping for a super over-the-top Captain Lou impersonation

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

unrelated, we got a new thread title but it wasn't Let's Go Brandon The Broken, voted 1

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Ya know, at least Jack Black is trying to do a Bowser voice? So it's more than I expected!

e: the real one to look out for is gonna be what Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong sounds like lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm sure kids will have a lot of fun with that movie. It looks fun. They have to stop hiring so many A-list actors to do voices though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I've seen enough: this will be the best Mario Brothers feature-length film ever made

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Ya know, at least Jack Black is trying to do a Bowser voice? So it's more than I expected!

e: the real one to look out for is gonna be what Seth Rogan as Donkey Kong sounds like lol

charlie day as luigi is a good pick

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lol, I didn't pick up his voice and when I saw the credits I assumed he was toad.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm sure kids will have a lot of fun with that movie. It looks fun. They have to stop hiring so many A-list actors to do voices though.

I will screen this movie for my toddler-aged daughter and watch it with her

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/vgdunkey/status/1578121237372448769?s=20&t=T0bOqN173yu9xEuIvicRIA

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

charlie day as luigi is a good pick

Tbh I think Keegan as Toad is good too, I feel like a background in sketch where you're doing a lot of different characters lends itself to voice acting more than, say, Seth Rogan's comedic background.

e: i don't want it to seem like I'm making GBS threads on Seth Rogan, I think he's done plenty of funny stuff and he seems like a nice enough guy. But him playing Donkey Kong is a very funny choice considering the only role I can think of where he changed his voice at all for the character was Fanboys lol

Pepe Silvia Browne has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Oct 6, 2022

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

It's too bad the days of Will Smith doing theme songs for all his movies are behind us. Jack Black's Mario theme would be entertainingly terrible.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

what if mario... smoked weed?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's going to sound exactly like seth rogan op

edit oh beaten by the op

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i say swears online posted:

he's going to sound exactly like seth rogan op

edit oh beaten by the op

Chl chk got his rear end

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Martin wrote stories full of so many characters and places that it could be hard to keep up with all of them. Once they ran out of source material, D&D reduced the roster to like 10 people who were responsible for everything that happened in the entire world, and they were wherever the plot needed them to be at all times.

In this context, it's not a surprise they were tapped for Star Wars.

Galaxy far far away, all of it is in play due to common FTL, but here let's follow the same 10 people around for decades.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

loquacius posted:

It's too bad the days of Will Smith doing theme songs for all his movies are behind us. Jack Black's Mario theme would be entertainingly terrible.

No you don't want nada

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Crain posted:

Tom Brady spent 3 months with his kids and supermodel wife and decided "gently caress this I'll die on the field".

he came out of retirement in a little less than 6 weeks lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dudes stay rockin

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Man, maybe this is out of step with the rest of the thread but I can't really begin to consider the voice casting here because the entire concept behind this film just kinda feels embarrassing. Taking Mario, a plotless playground for children (that adults can enjoy, sure, but it's a kid's game) and turning it into some sort of narratively driven adventure story evokes similar reactions in me as those ugly rear end looking Barbie direct to DVD videos do. You know, the ones that are shoved between the tenth month stale candy and overpriced collagen bars that you only see when queuing on the way out of a Target or whatever.

But they've injected so much money into the entire thing that adults won't feel ashamed watching / talking about / etc. even though there's never been a hint that this thing has a hint of vision behind it, or anything to say, other than some nebulous attempt to do right by the imaginations of Nintendo Adults. The Chris Pratt of it all is just a distraction -- the debate over whether he's a good choice or not supposes there was something legitimate here that we're losing through adaptation, and I just don't think that's true at all.

But, like I said, maybe I'm hugely out of step on this one.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Chris Pratt's Mario voice is just Chris Pratt speaking somewhat emphatically

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Mario, a plotless playground for children (that adults can enjoy, sure, but it's a kid's game) and turning it into some sort of narratively driven adventure

Mario always had a plot and narrative

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

There has been narrative Mario content since the 80s. I have a Mario comic book on one of my shelves that I got from Nintendo Power in 1993.

Pointing out that it's for children is also a weird move since this movie is, by all appearances, also for children. It depends heavily on the children's parents engaging with the brand, yes, but it's still a kids' movie.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hoo boy do I have bad news for you from the year 1996

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Man, maybe this is out of step with the rest of the thread but I can't really begin to consider the voice casting here because the entire concept behind this film just kinda feels embarrassing. Taking Mario, a plotless playground for children (that adults can enjoy, sure, but it's a kid's game) and turning it into some sort of narratively driven adventure story evokes similar reactions in me as those ugly rear end looking Barbie direct to DVD videos do. You know, the ones that are shoved between the tenth month stale candy and overpriced collagen bars that you only see when queuing on the way out of a Target or whatever.

But they've injected so much money into the entire thing that adults won't feel ashamed watching / talking about / etc. even though there's never been a hint that this thing has a hint of vision behind it, or anything to say, other than some nebulous attempt to do right by the imaginations of Nintendo Adults. The Chris Pratt of it all is just a distraction -- the debate over whether he's a good choice or not supposes there was something legitimate here that we're losing through adaptation, and I just don't think that's true at all.

i want them to make a grim dark prestige tv show out of the children's game tag, preferably one with a 4 minute open credits sequence that's somber and serious.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

It's not about whether or not Chris Pratt was a good choice - there was no other choice to make. The Mario movie has to be made because there is profit potential, that potential is maximized by having Chris Pratt be the voice of Mario. This was written in the stars by the Market Research and Focus Testing Algo. Chris Pratt has no more agency in whether or not he's Mario than we do, it is a sentence he must carry out in service of something that he is only vaguely aware controls his life.

So the least we can do is listen to his Mario voice and be like "drat that's what it sounds like huh?" We owe him that much.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

how it started

https://twitter.com/robertflorence/status/1578122781815963650

how it's going

https://twitter.com/robertflorence/status/1578124809485123605

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

loquacius posted:

This game rules and the writing still holds up great for a children's rpg. Some of the best comedic timing I've seen in video game writing.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

loquacius posted:

Yeah, that, Paper Mario, the Mario and Luigi Series on the DS.

There are narrative Mario games. Not many, but they exist.

Anyway, the movie seems fine. Jack Black is whole assing this and I am curious about Luigi Charlie Day. I'll probably download it, and use it for a rainy day with my students or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

All what that guy said vs "no he won't"

They prolly could have saved a bunch of money by casting the guy who does the mario voice that is known and beloved worldwide to play as the voice of mario but I'm not a big brain movie exec