Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Infinitum posted:

The little matchbox reveal as well :allears:

So good!

https://i.imgur.com/U0G1zQr.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's just so proud of being an absolute tit about it as well

Bless

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maybe resurrect the spoiler thread if the info starts to be about the content of episodes. I'm pretty spoiler adverse generally but the basic casting the news being that there is not a recasting information we've been discussing here doesn't make me feel as if there's a quarrantine problem

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Spoiler Thread still lives!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1578060026140585984

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I think I missed the Sea Devil story in Season 8…

Do they really think reminding people about Legend of the Sea Devils on a box set which doesn’t even contain the story was a good idea?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Wish there will come a time where you could buy these things digitally. I'm going to have to buy a bluray player just for the doctor who classic collection sets.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 6, 2022

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm pretty sure the Sea Devils is the story where Three goes off on how Silurian isn't an especially accurate name for that species, and how we ought to call them what they call themselves. This story, again, is called the Sea Devils.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Open Source Idiom posted:

Finished Moffat's new thing

It’s amazing how new unknown actor Louis Moffat Oliver got a part in such a star studded affair.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

It’s amazing how new unknown actor Louis Moffat Oliver got a part in such a star studded affair.

ugh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Like father, like son.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1578445058444910593

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

edit: what am I doing? we literally have a spoiler thread

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In what kind of world are we were there's a teaser for a trailer. Come on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

They (by which I mean media companies in general, not just the BBC) have been doing this for over 10 years now.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There's a trend of movie studios doing six-second trailer-trailers, so you have to watch at least that part before pressing "Skip Ad" on YouTube.

Max Headroom was ahead of its time, really.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ZtS7Emado

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trailer’s up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxaDzBPBuP8

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I swear that same location was used before in an ep.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

happyhippy posted:

The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit one?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Nice quarry there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Barry the Sprout posted:

The Impossible Planet/Satan Pit one?

Nah, in 13's time.
Don't have the episode to watch, but the planet had red tinged light.
Could be wrong, just looks seen it before.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
That sure looks like a lot for a 55 to 65 minute special that also has to include a teaser for the next Doctor, but fortunately Chibnall is good at juggling multiple concepts at once!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Tegan landing a parachute or was that just my blearly saturday morning (I had a benzo-supported late sleep gimme a break) brain imaginging things?

edit: It's Sophie landing that chute, which a quick cut away. My bad. Made more sense.

Also oddly timed my listening to the New Doctors Old Companions, 10 gets a run in with both Ace and Dorothy (both versions of the character) and it's...interesting to see the dynamic difference. Tennant and Sophie always a pleasure and nothing makes me more nostalgic than hearing "Professor!"

Anyone give the latest Unbound War Doctor a listen? I want to like this concept but first series was just kinda meh for mee

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 8, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

happyhippy posted:

The alien dimension seen in Spyfall?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

happyhippy posted:

It looks like the quarry used in the last episode of Chibnall's first season, but then all quarries look the same eventually.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Vinylshadow posted:

The alien dimension seen in Spyfall?

Not sure, but I think I found out where I saw it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WutM__v3x0&t=5s

I knew I saw that ridge line before, looks like the one you see here.
Weird how pattern recognition works in the brain.
Could still be wrong though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I was going to say "that prison quarry they put the Sugar Skull Gang in"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hard to believe it's really coming to an end, still feels like Whittaker only just started in the role.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Doctor Who Fans: "Thank GOD Chibnall is leaving before he can again bring back some dumb apocryphal Doctor Who thing from the past we never needed to revisit!"

Chris Chibnall: "Hold my beer!"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Doctor Who Fans: "Thank GOD Chibnall is leaving before he can again bring back some dumb apocryphal Doctor Who thing from the past we never needed to revisit!"

Chris Chibnall: "Hold my beer!"

Transit's not that bad. Certainly one of the best Ice Warrior stories Who's ever made, despite them never turning up on the page.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

Transit's not that bad. Certainly one of the best Ice Warrior stories Who's ever made, despite them never turning up on the page.

Maybe I need to reread it. It's just so tonally way off, "Hey, let's write a cyberpunk story and throw Doctor Who in!"

Present for approval, a random selection from the Wikipedia synopsis of "Transit":

quote:

With the main line shut down till the damage can be repaired, the Doctor cannot retrieve the TARDIS or Benny, and remains with Kadiatu. The pair visit Kadiatu's elderly family friend and blind war veteran, Francine, at her bar on Mars. She agrees to use her underworld contacts to find Blondie (who Kadiatu assumes stole the moneypin while they were making love), and tells Kadiatu that her new friend has two hearts, confirming her suspicions. Long ago, her father told her stories about his grandfather and the mysterious time traveller known as the Doctor. The two go to a cafe in Paris, where the Doctor gets drunk and passes out celebrating the universe's 13500020012th birthday.

Benny arrives at Lowell depot a rundown slum on Pluto and meets two prostitutes, Zamina and Roberta. Unknown to Benny, Roberta is a childhood lover of Blondie who resents him for escaping the slum. Roberta has Kadiatu's moneypin, which she took after having seen her and Blondie making love. Behiaving strangely, Benny demands to be taken to a local gang leader, whom she then encourages to take over the slum. Violence spreads across the slum, killing many including Roberta and eventually leading to military intervention and evacuation of the survivors.

The Doctor awakens in Kadiatu's room at the Lunarversity and, looking through her belongings, realises she has been researching his visits to Earth and that she was genetically engineered. He also discovers that she is close to developing a time machine. Unsure how to act, the Doctor first solves Kadiatu's problem with the drug dealers and then searches for Benny, stowing away on a maintenance train heading to the relief zone on Pluto.

A mysterious train-shaped object begins moving through the tunnels, swallowing passengers and pirate free-surfers (who use special boards to traverse the tunnels illegally). Its victims are re-engineered into mutant soldiers to serve the intelligence that has invaded the tunnels.

:psyduck:

Though to be fair, it wasn't even the most bananas New Adventure, probably not even in the top 5...

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

Maybe I need to reread it. It's just so tonally way off, "Hey, let's write a cyberpunk story and throw Doctor Who in!"

IMO, this was partly down to quite a lot of british scifi in the 90's being some flavour of cyberpunk -- The Demon Headmaster, Dark Season etc. If the show had been on TV we'd have absolutely got a bunch of cyberspace sequences.

Another big aspect was down to the NAs arguing that Doctor Who was effectively a series without a distinctive genre. Drop the Doctor, Companion and TARDIS into any story, any setting, and go. It's something I inherently believe about Who, too. There's mostly no genre that it hasn't tried at some point or another. It's done sexploitation, video nasties, ML James Horror, Christian sci-fi, magical realism, southern gothic, pantomime, musicals, unironic Starship Troopers style fascist stories, at least two stories that were written as board games (as opposed to licenced board game tie-ins)... and I'm not just talking about stories "about"' these genres, like the way Bad Wolf is more "about" reality TV than an example of the show "doing" reality TV, but stories that, for better or for worse, attempt to explore what these genres are like and see how Doctor Who can accommodate them into its ever flexible framework.

The results can vary, and I don't think all genres are inherently worth pursuing in and of themselves (though most are). But in all honesty that owns, Doctor Who owns.

It's a big reason for the series' longevity. The moment it just starts being derivative of itself, coming back to the same old set ups and xeroxed copies of what the series "should be" is when it starts to die. IMO of course.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Having (I think) now finished Kadiatu's arc in the New Adventures, the character really does nothing for me. But the rest of Transit is great, if not exactly an easy read. I mean, the plot involves an interstellar subway system that becomes self-aware and gets possessed by an entity dwelling in the dimension it's short-cutting through, what's not to love?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Confusedslight posted:

Wish there will come a time where you could buy these things digitally. I'm going to have to buy a bluray player just for the doctor who classic collection sets.
Considering the state of digital purchases these days, I'd say this is something we should all be doing.

Even content you've paid money for beyond your monthly subscriptions aren't safe. Services are removing those too, and not giving refunds for them or anything.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'm still a big believer in physical media, particularly for Doctor Who.

Gaming I embraced digital but even then it's troubling seeing music get replaced when the licenses run out or in some cases characters getting entire makeovers because the real person who did their voice/gave their likeness ended up in some minor scandal in Japan or something.

Not such an issue for Doctor Who where the BBC - if I remember right - has rights to particular music forever once they get the agreement (which is how at least one recording of a Beatles performance actually still exists today, because it featured in a Hartnell episode!), but imagine Britney Spears or the Scissor Sisters having their songs removed from their episodes of Who, that would suck.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 9, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

or in some cases characters getting entire makeovers because the real person who did their voice/gave their likeness ended up in some minor scandal in Japan or something

I see you too are a fan of Judgement

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I see you too are a fan of Judgement

I actually haven't had a chance to play them yet, but it's happened a few times with the Yakuza games by the same studio - characters got caught with like some marijuana or something and got blacklisted from the entertainment industry, and they just completely replaced the character model and they got in an entirely new voice performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Was nudged by the trailer for her finale finally to start watching Thirteen's stories. Quick trip report:

'The Woman Who Fell To Earth': the aesthetics of a high-end crime drama with the irritating goofiness of modern Who (I stopped watching after the Capaldi episode with the lion-man who looked like a costume from Rentaghost). Jodie had the usual syndrome of post-regeneration mania, where nobody knows how the new Doctor is going to be played so defaults to 'hyper and wacky', so it was hard to get a read on where she's going to go. The companions started out pretty strongly, though - I liked them. Grace's death just came off as wrong from a writing perspective, though - the main villain had already been dealt with, so her dying from poking the Little Bad with a stick for no good reason felt pointless and empty. Maybe that was the intent, but it didn't work. Would have been better for it to happen before the villain is defeated and actually help the Doctor in some way. (There was an undercurrent of the story revelling in ironic cruelty - "Where's my sister?"/"You will never know" [dead]; "Goodnight, lovely grandchild" [dead] - so maybe Grace's death was one more example. Wasn't keen.)

'The Ghost Monument': the story boils down to 'a character we've never seen before becomes less of a jerk, and the Doctor gets her TARDIS back.' Oh, and the Doctor has hints dropped about the season arc by a telepathic fajita wrap. Just a string of Things That Happen of no real consequence. (Maybe I'm wrong and every single obstacle is called back to later in the season, but eh.) Also had the classic "we're trying for a movie-style action sequence on a TV budget and schedule" fail of characters running in straight lines across open spaces as the baddies shoot everything but the large, slow-moving targets. Forgettable.