Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Because DPS roles shouldn't be able to do everything.

I suppose that's fair, it does seem like a lot of changes were made specifically to reinforce the meta comp setup they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

posting on the internet about how awful and stupid someone would have to be to even play a game made by the worst company, blizzard, while snacking on some nestle cookies made with slave labour and sipping on a can of ice cold coca "union organizer murderer" cola

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Played quite a bit of my girl Pharah the last couple days. Good news, people still don't know how to look up!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Jack Trades posted:

Because DPS roles shouldn't be able to do everything.

there shouldn't be hard roles at all, as the history of all hitherto existing overwatch demonstrates

Mei's freeze was removed as part of a global re-tuning of CC to remove or reduce it almost across the board

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Because DPS roles shouldn't be able to do anything.

is what is feels like, tbh

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

BabyRyoga posted:

:confused:

Playing tank or support, it's real fuckin obvious when DPS are bad or good, there's no way to do anything without, you know, damage

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

Played quite a bit of my girl Pharah the last couple days. Good news, people still don't know how to look up!

Every game I play it seems like flyers are completely invisible to DPS players and we get annihilated

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think hog actually might be surprisingly decent in many cases, as long as you're not playing against Ana (at least not without a Kiriko to cleanse you). A lot of the opposing tank cast isn't able to provide much protection from his hooks, and getting a hook pick is even more valuable than before with 5v5. Even just being able to hook their tank can be quite valuable in 1-2-2 as it leaves the enemy team rather exposed (or gives your team a good shot at actually burning that tank down before they can retreat). Some tanks in particular don't really have any way to stop hog from just hooking them over and over again.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah hooking is working very well for me personally, at lower skill levels.

Also, I feel like very few tanks want to go toe to toe with Roadhog? Although this is somewhat mitigated by the frustrating decision to make such small tanks.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

adhuin posted:

You got lot games under your belt.
Just got my official 7th healer win. I'm Officially Bronze-2 now. :lol:

I was on an 8 game winning streak last night and then lost 9 in a row lmao. Everything must be balanced. The new changes with how your rank is adjusted does wonders for keeping me in-game. Not seeing my SR go down after each loss makes the experience a whole lot less demoralizing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Most DPS are in the best spot they have ever been, y'all can just murder poo poo from half the map away and there's nothing that anyone can stop you, and y'all still complaining?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that tanks are now basically super-dps is very funny to me

it does however sound much more fun than the previous state of the game

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

I was on an 8 game winning streak last night and then lost 9 in a row lmao. Everything must be balanced. The new changes with how your rank is adjusted does wonders for keeping me in-game. Not seeing my SR go down after each loss makes the experience a whole lot less demoralizing.

Yeah I've won my first 6 comp games. I wonder if you started hitting even higher ranked people that logged in for the first time. like if you really wanted to optimize your climb, maybe start two weeks into the season to find people that are actually lower than you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wheeee posted:

posting on the internet about how awful and stupid someone would have to be to even play a game made by the worst company, blizzard, while snacking on some nestle cookies made with slave labour and sipping on a can of ice cold coca "union organizer murderer" cola
did anyone post anything like that or are you just reflexively doing this like how when the doctor takes the little hammer to your knee you kick

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Literally every role feels better now in a miracle of design that I can't make sense of given how much of a mess this all looked to be for the last however many years. I did not think 1 tank would ever work and it would be a complete mess. Tanks feel powerful, DPS feel more impactful and have various niche roles that all feel important, and healers are maybe the highest skill ceiling in the game but not punishing to play.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I don't watch owl often at all but any time I've seen it it's basically all very cis-looking Korean boys. are there even females or trans competitors at this point? why announce that?

e: oh it's for a tournament specifically for marginalized identities. but why do verification then

Presumably, the amount of cis men who sign up for tournaments like these to troll and make some nebulous "point" about "competitive parity" is large enough to merit some screening at the door. I've never seen a marginalized-group-focused tournament without some screening of some sort, anecdotally

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

is blizzard's official line still "there's a ddos" and not "we aren't using a cloud provider and can't scale our poo poo"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

headcase posted:

I wonder if you started hitting even higher ranked people that logged in for the first time.

Maybe! I was reading on reddit a some 3200-3500+ players were getting placed into silver and gold divisions, so I guess it's possible? It's also very possible my tank play is just complete rear end and belong in silver lol. I never queued tank ever in comp before two days ago, lmao.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Why the gently caress does this game feel like 20fps all the time when i'm getting 60? And yes I turned off dynamic resolution/ render whatever.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 6, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Ignis posted:

Presumably, the amount of cis men who sign up for tournaments like these to troll and make some nebulous "point" about "competitive parity" is large enough to merit some screening at the door. I've never seen a marginalized-group-focused tournament without some screening of some sort, anecdotally

So clearly the right solution is to impose personally invasive and gross verification screenings on those marginalized groups that make them feel even less welcome in the scene, right?

Like, they identified a problem and came up with the worst possible solution that only makes it worse, much like their diversity calculator tool.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Inept posted:

is blizzard's official line still "there's a ddos" and not "we aren't using a cloud provider and can't scale our poo poo"

Not exactly. The options sounded like they could take the game down for a day to scale up fast, or scale up slower while not impacting the servers and just keeping a reasonable queue in place. I'm not a big server architecture guy so I could not say if this explanation rings true.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-launch-status-update/700480

Blizzard posted:

Queue Issues, Server Crashes, and Stability
Tl;dr: We have addressed some issues and are in the process of addressing others, but players should still expect to see queues.

Login queues, server crashes, and stability problems are intertwined, so we’ll talk about them together. Players may have been seeing their queue numbers jumping around, going from a small number to a larger number. This is due to there being two queues for players—one through Battle.net, then one through the game itself. This process is usually invisible to players, but was being seen in real time. We have made changes to simplify the queuing process, so players should now only be experiencing the one queue before entering the game.

There are several areas where we’re working to improve stability. Today we’ve patched a server that is critical to the login experience, and this change has increased login reliability. Beyond queues, we’re in progress with another server update that will reduce the occurrences of players being disconnected once they’re already in game.

Finally, the player database is being overloaded, which cascades and causes a backup in the login system, which eventually leads to some people being dropped out of queues or being unable to log in at all.

We’re continuing to add nodes to ease the pressure on the player database. The process of adding nodes requires replication of data, which inherently adds pressure to an already stressed system, so we’re doing it slowly to not cause any further disruption as devs and engineers work through separate issues. We are also currently throttling queues in order to protect the player database as much as we can while we scale—this feels bad in the short-term, but once it’s done, will greatly improve the experience for players across multiple fronts moving forward.

Bottom Liner posted:

So clearly the right solution is to impose personally invasive and gross verification screenings on those marginalized groups that make them feel even less welcome in the scene, right?

Like, they identified a problem and came up with the worst possible solution that only makes it worse, much like their diversity calculator tool.

What other solution is there besides verifying membership in a marginalized group in order to gate keep entrance into a tournament specifically for members of these marginalized groups?

DrBox fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 6, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just Chamber posted:

Why the gently caress does this game feel like 20fps all the time when i'm getting 60? And yes I turned off dynamic resolution.

I even uncapped the framerate, just to see if that helps but no.
I was getting 90-100 fps earlier today but it felt like I was playing a 30 fps game. They really hosed up either framepacing or input delay.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I was getting 90-100 fps earlier today but it felt like I was playing a 30 fps game. They really hosed up either framepacing or input delay.

Here's my settings on a mid tier setup, running really smooth

Dynamic resolution off
Resolution set to the correct size and hertz (this one defaulted to 60 for me for some reason and looked like poo poo)
Scaling 100%
Capped frame rate set to your monitor refresh
Turn off all the visual clutter stuff like reflections, etc

Oh and exit Riot Vanguard in your system tray, it's hosed with performance in games before and might be doing it again.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

have you tried capping framerate with something like RTSS? i've had issues with ingame framerate caps before that've caused odd framepacing in other games that i was otherwise able to solve via RTSS/AMD chill, so it might be worth a shot here

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Inept posted:

Cloud servers are insanely more expensive than self-hosted, they are appropriate for plenty of businesses where server costs are not a major factor in total business expenses since they help get rid of a lot of maintenance overhead
but for a game company (or anyone else who uses significant portions of their budget on computers) they are not even close to financially feasible

Especially if a game is architected to rely on a single central matchmaking server or something, rewriting it to work in a distributed system could be a ton of work just to enable a more expensive money-losing hosting system.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 6, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

My game feels fine with a capped framerate at 141. Runs 138-140 FPS locked with nvidia reflex + boost enabled. V-sync OFF in-game, v-sync ON in ow2 specific nvidia program settings with g-sync enabled and power management set to prefer maximum performance.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Most DPS are in the best spot they have ever been, y'all can just murder poo poo from half the map away and there's nothing that anyone can stop you, and y'all still complaining?

Literally every tank got a huge buff, and every support got a sizable buff, while most of the DPS got a huge nerf in some way, so i'm not sure I understand this logic. The few DPS that didn't get nerfed (like Genji, Soldier, Soujourn being new, etc) are playable. The rest? Eh...

Like, they made every non-DPS character in the game better, and most of the DPS worse. And some of yall are saying the DPS feel better than in OW1

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Literally every tank got a huge buff, and every support got a sizable buff, while most of the DPS got a huge nerf in some way, so i'm not sure I understand this logic. The few DPS that didn't get nerfed (like Genji, Soldier, Soujourn being new, etc) are playable. The rest? Eh...

Like, they made every non-DPS character in the game better, and most of the DPS worse. And some of yall are saying the DPS feel better than in OW1

Did you miss the part where shields, the one thing that was stopping all the damage, are practically removed from the game now?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

1 tank and a lot less shields in play is a direct buff to all DPS what are you even talking about

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

DrBox posted:

Not exactly. The options sounded like they could take the game down for a day to scale up fast, or scale up slower while not impacting the servers and just keeping a reasonable queue in place. I'm not a big server architecture guy so I could not say if this explanation rings true.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/overwatch-2-launch-status-update/700480

If only they had completely taken down Overwatch for a full day where they could have scaled up fast. If only!!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Cloud servers are insanely more expensive than self-hosted, they are appropriate for plenty of businesses where server costs are not a major factor in total business expenses since they help get rid of a lot of maintenance overhead
but for a game company (or anyone else who uses significant portions of their budget on computers) they are not even close to financially feasible

Especially if a game is architected to rely on a single central matchmaking server or something, rewriting it to work in a distributed system could be a ton of work just to enable a more expensive money-losing hosting system.

Riot uses AWS, Apex uses GCP. This isn't uncommon for large games.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's truly bizzarro land in this thread lol

Saying that shields being removed is a buff to DPS is somewhat parallel to the guy in OW1 who would have a gold damage medal, but not actually killing anything thinking they are carrying the game. Yes, it makes DPS less frustrating to play in the sense that you can actually hit stuff. The problem is stuff doesn't die, which is a different kind of frustrating. You can't punish tanks anymore unless they REALLY screw up; they will take duels with 2 dps at once and survive off their own CDs, while deleting the DPS since they in most cases have the same damage potential, especially in bursts. They will tank grav+dragons by popping a CD. They have the only CC in the game (in general, a few exceptions).

You essentially have to ignore tanks completely and dive the backline. But supports also self-heal as a passive, so if you can't wreck them immediately, you essentially do nothing. Most of them have way more survivability than DPS and take take duels better than before.

So, what does it all mean? The DPS role has a big problem right now. Granted some of it is because players aren't adapting to the fact that you can't focus tanks in the same situations you could before, and just throwing. Until DPS gets buffed, or more people realize this, it's pretty miserable to play as DPS. It also goes back to what I was concluding a few pages back where teamplay is even more important than in was in OW1, which will lead to many many completely miserable unwinnable games if you aren't stacking.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Wheeee posted:

with mystical spirit powers in a setting which has no magic
magic has always existed in overwatch, what did you think ryu ga teki wo kurau was?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

It's truly bizzarro land in this thread lol

Saying that shields being removed is a buff to DPS is somewhat parallel to the guy in OW1 who would have a gold damage medal, but not actually killing anything thinking they are carrying the game. Yes, it makes DPS less frustrating to play in the sense that you can actually hit stuff. The problem is stuff doesn't die, which is a different kind of frustrating. You can't punish tanks anymore unless they REALLY screw up; they will take duels with 2 dps at once and survive off their own CDs, while deleting the DPS since they in most cases have the same damage potential, especially in bursts. They will tank grav+dragons by popping a CD. They have the only CC in the game (in general, a few exceptions).

You essentially have to ignore tanks completely and dive the backline. But supports also self-heal as a passive, so if you can't wreck them immediately, you essentially do nothing. Most of them have way more survivability than DPS and take take duels better than before.

So, what does it all mean? The DPS role has a big problem right now. Granted some of it is because players aren't adapting to the fact that you can't focus tanks in the same situations you could before, and just throwing. Until DPS gets buffed, or more people realize this, it's pretty miserable to play as DPS. It also goes back to what I was concluding a few pages back where teamplay is even more important than in was in OW1, which will lead to many many completely miserable unwinnable games if you aren't stacking.

Oh no, you can't outright kill 1 out of 5 enemy players. What a loving horror.

And if 15hps that kicks in after 2 seconds of not taking any damage, is preventing you from killing 200hp squishies then the issue isn't the healing. It's your damage.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

F.D. Signifier posted:

magic has always existed in overwatch, what did you think ryu ga teki wo kurau was?

That's their point, it's japanese that have magic for some reason (reason being bad writing)

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

F.D. Signifier posted:

Nanomachines, son!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

F.D. Signifier posted:

A hard-light projection generated by stolen tech, per the former head writer.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jack Trades posted:

That's their point, it's japanese that have magic for some reason (reason being bad writing)

Hey now

Robot monks have magic too! Magic comes from the Mystic East, you know.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Oh no, you can't outright kill 1 out of 5 enemy players. What a loving horror.

And if 15hps that kicks in after 2 seconds of not taking any damage, is preventing you from killing 200hp squishies then the issue isn't the healing. It's your damage.

Well, I mean, lack of solo-carry potential in any team-based game is always frustrating, right? It just feels like the DPS role has lost a lot of solo-carry potential, whereas the other roles have gained it.

Also, it depends on the support. Supports like Zen are still pretty glass cannon, but many have outs that make them nightmarish to kill. Plus fewer targets means it's more likely that the supports will keep each other alive.

I guess DPS will always have 1v1 DPS on DPS duels where they can feel like their characters are actually balanced properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
There's no magic in overwatch in the sense that everything, even the huge summoned wolf and the unkillable revenant that never runs out of shotguns, is all "science", usually the aforementioned hard light and nano machines.