Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mega64 posted:

Valve is doomed.

Well, yeah, you can play every DOOM title and WAD on it, of course it's DOOM'd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Skeematic posted:

What differences make it better?

Has some slight tweaks for controls and some other things iirc.

chiaki4deck aims to provide tips and tricks on using Chiaki with the Steam Deck. In the spirit of Chiaki being open source, I have made changes to the Chiaki project to optimize the experience on my Steam Deck and am sharing how to access and use those enhancements on this site. Furthermore, I have submitted a patch to bring the completed updates to the "official" Chiaki repo and at that point all of the chiaki4deck documentation here will apply to the main repo instead of needing the chiaki4deck flatpak. Additionally, I plan to submit any future updates as patches too.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I had to return the JSAUX dock because it broke HDMI-CEC and HDMI-ARC. Hopefully the official dock doesn't have this problem.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cicero posted:

How's the Steam Deck as an HTPC if you have a dock? Like, I plug it into the dock, how many more steps are there in practice to get it booted and controllers working?

With a console you can usually just hit a button on a controller that was paired before and that turns on the system immediately and everything's working, but my experience with using a gaming laptop as an occasional HTPC with Steam is that every time managing controllers and poo poo is a huge pain in the rear end (and wireless controller latency often seemed really bad), does the Deck handle that better?

I own way too many controllers in case it's relevant: 4 or more Switch pro, Dual shock 4, Dual sense, and Xbox one controllers (and also the PC dongle), and then a grab bag of random other ones like a few 8bitdo controllers.
You cant turn it on from a controller, you need to hit the power button on the Deck itself, that's probably the biggest impediment to being a good HTPC. It's a little bit of a mess but honestly my preferred setup is just using a long rear end usb-c extension cable to the hub and sitting on the couch with the Deck in my hands. It has great controller support though, no additional latency that I've noticed, there's a nice menu to renumber your controllers if you need to (especially for some games that bind themselves to the first controller they see, which is going to be the built in controls by default)

Usually latency is just because PCs tend to have rear end BT chipsets and too much interference off the various buses and poo poo, ime. On my desktop I have to use a USB dongle on a little extension to have any decent signal at all.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Consoles have custom low-power co-processors that remain awake at all times and download updates, listen for Bluetooth wakeup commands, and other such background tasks. General purpose computers do not. It might in principle be possible to do something with Connected Standby, but this would require the main CPU to remain awake in some low-power state in order to co-ordinate things and that would probably drain the battery to an unacceptable degree.

Perhaps the Deck 2 will have an ARM co-processor to handle this sort of thing, but that would require a lot of OS-level changes to make all of those peripheral activities go through said co-processor and there aren't any open standards for it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

We'll revisit that statement when I inevitably drop it on my face while reading in bed.

Hurts less than an iPad Air, either gen. There's something about the arc made by the top end of the iPad as it accelerates smoothly like Jobs intended to meet your upper lip just where it hurts most.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Is there something I need to do with Firefox in desktop mode before it lets me download stuff? I click the download button on the emudeck website but it looks like it downloads an extremely small file I can't even access.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a good go-to guide for setting up Emudeck?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I followed this exact and have had 0 issues playing anything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL-AhbSuBpw

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

There's not much to it, you just download and run the script on their website and it installs and configures everything for you. Read the prompts for some of the optional stuff like if you want to add all of your roms as individual entries to your Steam library. Drop all your roms in the Emulation subdirectories for whatever system, they show up automatically in EmulationStation. Its all automated

jfrancis
Nov 7, 2005

I look smarter than I am.

incorporeal posted:

Is there something I need to do with Firefox in desktop mode before it lets me download stuff? I click the download button on the emudeck website but it looks like it downloads an extremely small file I can't even access.

Noticed the same thing. Gave up and used Chrome for downloads.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

homeless snail posted:

You cant turn it on from a controller, you need to hit the power button on the Deck itself, that's probably the biggest impediment to being a good HTPC. It's a little bit of a mess but honestly my preferred setup is just using a long rear end usb-c extension cable to the hub and sitting on the couch with the Deck in my hands. It has great controller support though, no additional latency that I've noticed, there's a nice menu to renumber your controllers if you need to (especially for some games that bind themselves to the first controller they see, which is going to be the built in controls by default)

Usually latency is just because PCs tend to have rear end BT chipsets and too much interference off the various buses and poo poo, ime. On my desktop I have to use a USB dongle on a little extension to have any decent signal at all.
Thanks!

Does it "remember" your controllers each time you wake up the Deck again?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you mean do you have to rebind them each time then no, they stay bound like any bluetooth thing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The small file is a .desktop shortcut; it worked fine for me saving it to the Desktop folder, it turns into a desktop icon you can click on.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How well do the Yakuza games work on the deck? there's a sale on and I got all of them minus the Dragon one

Been trying a few games I haven't touched in a long time and the resolution is a bit of a damper on a 1440p screen, maybe I wont play Sine Mora EX

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How well do the Yakuza games work on the deck? there's a sale on and I got all of them minus the Dragon one

Been trying a few games I haven't touched in a long time and the resolution is a bit of a damper on a 1440p screen, maybe I wont play Sine Mora EX

I also jumped on the sale for Yakuza 0 and it's been running perfect at 60 fps with no issues.

As an aside, like a dragon is on gamepass (along with 0) as well, but 5 bucks for 0 after my friends all recommended it was a pretty easy buy.

Edit: yikes, I didn't realize there were a million of these Yakuza games; I can only confirm Yakuza 0 runs flawlessly but I can't see why any others wouldn't.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 7, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've only played 0 and Kiwami so far but they both run great. Can't imagine the others will have any problems.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

you have to turn down a few settings and maybe use a 40 fps cap for Like a Dragon (7) which is on a newer version of the engine, but it runs fine too.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Follow the guide on their site. It's an incomprehensible mess if you try to play around with it, but if you follow their guide it takes like 5 minutes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

3.3.2 SteamOS update seems pretty decent. They included a fix for RDR2 so it shouldn’t crash anymore and they updated the graphics drivers.

You can also select an output resolution and refresh rate when connected to an external display.

They also updated flickstick

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Gv2-9Kah_Ig&feature=share&si=EMSIkaIECMiOmarE6JChQQ

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 7, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Considering a Deck since they seem easy to get now but I was wondering what Valve’s return policy on them is like if I change my mind. Do they have restocking fees or whatever?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You won’t change your mind op

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m sure it’s cool but I’m not sure how it’ll feel in my hands. I haven’t heard many complaints but the face button and dpad placement look super awkward to me.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was on the fence too until recently, it had a few kinks to work out early but it's looks like it's mostly sorted and Valve seems to be cool about supporting nearly all aspects of what people are doing with it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m sure it’s cool but I’m not sure how it’ll feel in my hands. I haven’t heard many complaints but the face button and dpad placement look super awkward to me.

Yeah I get ya but really they work great.

I wasn’t sure about them either but I’ve had no issues.

Only real “complaint” is that I really only use two of the back buttons.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's silly. It's so uselessly short that I shoved it somewhere and don't remember where.

That's what she said! :haw:

On a more serious note, the OEM PSU's cable is 1.5 m, which isn't remarkable, but in general you should be using the shortest cables feasible for the application (both for power and data.)

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I am cackling that it has the same bug with LG displays (that they noted in their FAQ) that I have with my Switch dock. :lol:

Isn't this an LG bug then?

njsykora posted:

Interesting that the Deck Dock comes with another Deck power supply. I want the official dock (I don't like the ethernet or USB layout on the JSAUX one) but man £80 is steep, even if it's great to have DisplayPort as an option.

homeless snail posted:

Its not too bad considering it comes with the power supply at least (if you need both a PS and a dock), cause you're gonna spend $30-40 on a decent usb-c charger anyway.

njsykora posted:

Yeah but also I have a decent USB-C charger, it came with this thing called the Steam Deck.

I'd say that a 45 W PSU and cable are maybe worth $30. I'd prefer the ability to buy an additional PSU separately; hell, this sounds like a step backwards from in the EU (maybe France only?) where device manufacturers (mainly smartphones) have to unbundle the device from a PSU/cable. Also, lower-power PSUs tend to be less efficient, and if I did want to buy another one I'd prefer to get a different one than the OEM one (it'd have higher output and ports instead of a captive cable.)

Vegetable posted:

The dock looks more or less the same as third party docks half the price on Amazon, which is a bummer. I’m sure it works better but I wish they found some way to make it more like a Switch dock so you don’t need to plug in a cable when docking your console.

This isn't physically possible due to the single, top-mounted USB port on the Dreck, but the original Aya Neo comes to mind (from like 2 years ago) where it had 3 USB-C ports, 1 on the bottom and 2 on the top, so you could dock it like the Switch or plug it in the top like the Dreck. It would've been nice if the 2nd USB port on the top was instead an SD card reader, but that's besides the point.

njsykora posted:

I really hope at some point they allow the deck to run at higher clocks when on the dock like the Switch does.

If it launches in desktop try from SteamOS again, it might've just been first use weirdness. I've had the same problem where some PSP games haven't worked with the Deck controls until I launch it in desktop first.

If anything, you should be restricting the APU power when on battery power, and then you can use the full 15 W TDP while plugged in. So in a sense you do have 2 power/performance modes after all.

v1ld posted:

In a sense, the Deck is always running flat out since Valve has no problems with you burning up all your battery power in 30 minutes if you want to. The Deck's limit seem to be thermal and component limits, not like the Switch's dual modes and limits.

I don't like how the Switch does it because it restricts higher clocks to when you're docked with an external monitor (as you said), not just to when you have the extra power available. It's annoying to not be able to run its GPU flat out using the built in screen when you have it plugged into USB power.

Yeah, it's not like with either the Switch or Dreck there's enhanced cooling when you're plugged in (or like, the dock has fans that blow across/into the handheld) so you should really be able to access the maximum performance mode when plugged in even if you're not "docked."

Mega64 posted:

Can't wait for an add-on that attaches JoyCon rails to the sides of the Deck so you can use your JoyCons while attached to your Deck.

At least until they break.

"Yo dawg, I heard you like Joycons, so I put some rails on yo Dreck so you can game while you game."

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The Switch is actually quite remarkable in that regard due to its dock having a slightly-off-spec USB-C plug that makes for easy insertion that also hasn't failed in large quantities by now.

I personally haven't heard of the Switch's USB port being failure-prone, but I do watch electronics repairs on Youtube, and there absolutely is a significant need for USB port repair services; you just have to know where to look and be a weirdo like me to want to watch those videos in the first place!

Cicero posted:

How's the Steam Deck as an HTPC if you have a dock? Like, I plug it into the dock, how many more steps are there in practice to get it booted and controllers working?

With a console you can usually just hit a button on a controller that was paired before and that turns on the system immediately and everything's working, but my experience with using a gaming laptop as an occasional HTPC with Steam is that every time managing controllers and poo poo is a huge pain in the rear end (and wireless controller latency often seemed really bad), does the Deck handle that better?

The Dreck certainly is just a PC and can do everything you can do on any other PC, but I can't imagine you'd have a better time than using something like a Chromecast; you really don't need a HTPC directly plugged into a TV anymore.

SeANMcBAY posted:

The built-in handles on the Dreck are specifically what make the controls placement viable, as opposed to the Switch where they're at the edge of the device and you have nothing to hold onto (or you have to curl your fingers back to do both unnaturally.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

SeANMcBAY posted:

If you ever used a Wii U gamepad it's similar to that in how it looks super weird and bulky but feels perfectly natural in your hands. I wish the dpad was lower down but if I need to I can just set the left touchpad to act as a dpad as well.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Looks like I spoke too soon about parcelforce being the ones to deliver my deck.

I just got an email from EVRi saying they have my package and will let me know when it's out for delivery :(

Is it about this stage where Decks have disappeared with them or later with them "attempting delivery" and encountering a problem or something?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Question specifically to Finnish and possibly European in general goons: have you bought games from the Steam Deck? I have my Visa Debit saved as the default card on Steam, and usually can just buy by entering my three digit verification code, but occasionally it will redirect me to my bank to authenticate the purchase, and I suspect this last part isn't working and the redirect/popup is insta-failing for some reason on the Steam Deck, because for the life of me I can't get a purchase to complete on the thing.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

SeANMcBAY posted:

if the switch is comfortable for you it might be a bit too big and hefty for your small infant-sized hands. if you think the switch is too small it's pretty much perfect.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Question specifically to Finnish and possibly European in general goons: have you bought games from the Steam Deck? I have my Visa Debit saved as the default card on Steam, and usually can just buy by entering my three digit verification code, but occasionally it will redirect me to my bank to authenticate the purchase, and I suspect this last part isn't working and the redirect/popup is insta-failing for some reason on the Steam Deck, because for the life of me I can't get a purchase to complete on the thing.

same thing happens to me (UK), i can't buy games on the deck at all. need to buy them on PC and then find them on the alphabetical list to install them (there's probably an easier way to do that)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I’m in ireland and I haven’t been able to buy a single game on my deck using my debit card. I’ve just been using PayPal

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've only ever used Paypal to buy Steam stuff for years now and haven't had any issues.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I've had issues recently after not having them before. Looking at other issues cards are having with online services, my hunch is it might be something to do with the upcoming 3D Secure 2.0 update that's going live on the 15th. It's specifically loving up Visa charges on online apps which don't ordinarily launch a separate window for authentication. I hear that Mastercard is just fine and hopefully everything will be OK on the 15th, otherwise I guess I'm going to have to open an account somewhere which has a Mastercard option.

uiruki fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Oct 7, 2022

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yakuza 0 kicks rear end and I think the deck would be a great way to experience it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yakuza 4-6 are listed as unsupported but 0-3+LAD are all verified so yeah that's a hell of an idea if you grab that 0/Kiwami/Kiwami 2 bundle while its on sale.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Kin posted:

Looks like I spoke too soon about parcelforce being the ones to deliver my deck.

I just got an email from EVRi saying they have my package and will let me know when it's out for delivery :(

Is it about this stage where Decks have disappeared with them or later with them "attempting delivery" and encountering a problem or something?

It's when they say there's been a delay with your order that you need to start fretting.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

i havent done any purchases from the deck, but the switch estore gives me the same poo poo with my op visa card and i just route my payments through paypal there. same thing should work on the deck too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MarcusSA posted:

This really should be the thread title.