Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

A goon said, “why don’t they just raise the turtle?” And for once someone listened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Could you do this with poured gasoline alone, or is there something else in that pit? We know gas is the ingredient of choice when you want big fireballs but does it have that kind of percussive force when it's not contained in something? Of course I suppose it could be in some closed jerry cans or something, but that goes up awful simultaneously and awful quick.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mister Speaker posted:

Could you do this with poured gasoline alone, or is there something else in that pit? We know gas is the ingredient of choice when you want big fireballs but does it have that kind of percussive force when it's not contained in something? Of course I suppose it could be in some closed jerry cans or something, but that goes up awful simultaneously and awful quick.

It's the gasoline, and it's probably been sitting for a while so that pile probably has little air in there, just gasoline fumes. So yeah, you light all of that on fire at once you have a problem on your hands.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

sigher posted:

It's the gasoline, and it's probably been sitting for a while so that pile probably has little air in there, just gasoline fumes. So yeah, you light all of that on fire at once you have a problem on your hands.

And on your face. And in your hair.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tunicate posted:

It check out, 200 lbs is insufficient to secure a motorcycle

you'd need at least two of those guys for it.

This is why there weren’t motorcycles in double dash

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rjci5aaiWl1r0uzl6.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/5PNoWFc.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I never realized Hell had heavy work machines

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Adding a point for casually walking away from the explosion

Removing a point for turning around to look at it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Didn't know they were finally doing the MCU Ghost Rider.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

20 Blunts posted:

the good news is given the continuing economic troubles post-COVID, there have been dudes like this coming out of the woodwork undercutting bids of legit arborists!

We had a good hurricane go through Atlantic Canada two weeks ago, and even now it's chainsaws running all day every day. For the last week, there's been no chain saw bar oil in stock anywhere in the province. I wonder if the healthcare system will release the number of chainsaw injuries.

Speaking of which, there are tons of random people advertising tree-cutting services on facebook and going door to door and some of them are sketchy as gently caress. One guy quoted $3000 to take care of my downed trees, and I LOLed in his face so he immediately dropped to $1500, and I think he would have taken a few hundred if I haggled seriously. I did it myself instead and leveled up my leet chainsaw skillz. I'm still not touching one tree which has a wicked lean, but it's close to a road and I'm not taking the chances of dropping that thing on someone. I'll pay for a legit tree service, thank you.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 7, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

sigher posted:

Am I just stupid or does this turtle look really small to weigh 200lbs? Are turtles really god drat dense due to their shells?

Turtles are very dense yes, tortoises more so because they don't have to float or swim. But I agree, that looks pretty small. Even comparing it's size to that hoist, and it's in the foreground by a few feet.

From a post I made a while back about handling big alligator snappers:
I don't recall us catching any turtles much bigger than 100# when I did this and there were some big fuckers.

I dunno though now that I look at it some more, maybe it is closer to 200. An alligator snapper with a 30" carapace is around 175#. That thing could be 3 feet long.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 7, 2022

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

itcrowd.gif

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

If only there were trained professionals familiar with dealing with combustion that these police officers could have contacted. Perhaps some sort 'fire department.' In fact now that I think of it, every municipality should have one of these agencies.

These cops are morons.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i miss my time at the steel░mill

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/yD7SdII.mp4
good lord would this befit the schadenfreude thread

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/jWWkKE6.mp4
occupational in that sense that the dog is probably working

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

KoRMaK posted:

Cozy

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
We've had a bit of rain in Melbourne, today.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

monolithburger posted:

Hope they're paying those folks well for their indication work

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Fuckin :lol: of course it was cops

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

KoRMaK posted:

this is snow?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

monolithburger posted:

can't park here mate

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

this is snow?

Close, it's cocaine

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

sigher posted:

Am I just stupid or does this turtle look really small to weigh 200lbs? Are turtles really god drat dense due to their shells?

Last page, but I work with sea turtles during the spring/summers. One that size would probably weigh 250-300lbs, and be a 4-person lift. Last one of those I did, I came away with some nice welts/bruising from where she slapped the poo poo out of my leg. Here’s an example of one from last year (we had 4 that we found like this):

We managed to get her back over the dune without having to lift her into a truck, but that was probably more work than just loading her up and being done with it. 3 of us were completely smoked after she tried to walk back up the dune, and we decided to help her along the way (we didn’t have enough people available to safely lift her/unload her on the nearest beach).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

LifeSunDeath posted:

Name that kid Tannerite cause the gender reveal was EXPLOSIVE

That boy tanne rite.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

PhazonLink posted:

this is snow?

Asbestos. That dog is already dead and doesn’t even realize it

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Ziv Zulander posted:

Asbestos. That dog is already dead and doesn’t even realize it

Aren't we all?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Sagebrush posted:

It is now impossible to reach our current level of technology starting again from scratch, because we've already consumed all of the easily accessible deposits of raw materials.

When people first started using copper, you just built a fire next to some rocks and the copper would melt and run out onto the ground. You could pick up gold nuggets the size of marbles from streambeds in California. All those metals are now used up. You can't have a bronze age if there's no copper or tin on the surface of the planet anymore.

You could not have the industrial revolution again today, simply because we've used up all of the coal that can be mined with pre-industrial technology. Without an easily accessible source of dense energy, nothing happens.

Oh, and coal isn't coming back, either -- not even in 500 million years. Coal is a product of the Carboniferous period, when trees had evolved lignin but bacteria hadn't evolved a way of decomposing it, so dead trees just piled up like rocks for millions of years. This pulled massive amounts of carbon out of the atmosphere, and eventually the geological processes turned the trees into coal. Contemporary bacteria and fungi decompose dead trees and return their carbon to the cycle too quickly for that process to happen. Our industrial revolution was a one-time thing :eng101:

Actually, we will have coal. Wetlands are still around and are some of the largest ecological carbon sinks as dead plant matter sinks down into low oxygen environments before it can really degrade. This keeps bacteria from breaking it down and re-releasing it back into the environment. Add time and pressure and those wetlands will produce peat. It's really lovely coal compared to the stuff made in the Carboniferous, but it's very much coal. Also you can get halfway decent coal out of charcoal which just needs trees and a low oxygen furnace to burn away the impurities without burning away too much of the carbon.

Edit: I really should double check if a conversation is a page or two ago or three pages ago before responding to a post.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 7, 2022

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

edit: nvm

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Alkydere posted:

Actually, we will have coal. Wetlands are still around and are some of the largest ecological carbon sinks as dead plant matter sinks down into low oxygen environments before it can really degrade. This keeps bacteria from breaking it down and re-releasing it back into the environment. Add time and pressure and those wetlands will produce peat. It's really lovely coal compared to the stuff made in the Carboniferous, but it's very much coal. Also you can get halfway decent coal out of charcoal which just needs trees and a low oxygen furnace to burn away the impurities without burning away too much of the carbon.

Edit: I really should double check if a conversation is a page or two ago or three pages ago before responding to a post.

unfortunately though, bacteria have figured out how to digest lignin, which is one of the reasons why we have so much coal from the carboniferous but little after that: bacteria figured out how to eat wood after the carboniferous, give or take a few hundred million years.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Give our micro plastic waste a few million years time to settle and I think there's going to be plentiful carbon deposits again!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/itlmaSJ.gifv

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ignimbrite posted:

unfortunately though, bacteria have figured out how to digest lignin, which is one of the reasons why we have so much coal from the carboniferous but little after that: bacteria figured out how to eat wood after the carboniferous, give or take a few hundred million years.

Yeah that's not actually what happened. It's a nice sounding theory but doesn't match up with reality.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Biggie's a tortoise.... not a turtle.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cable Guy posted:

Tortoise are turtles.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cable Guy posted:

Tortoises are turtles

Edit: you fucker

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Atticus_1354 posted:

Tortoise are turtles.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

wait wait

I have an idea

for a new kind of bidet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004