Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Yeah I'm a fan of the technique, but there has to be more to show than just 'we asked her again and she said yes this time'.

As for the vote split, I just assumed that was supposed to be a safety vote in case Nneka played her shot-in-the-dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Sighence posted:

It can work. The Genius thread can tell you about all the Extreme Ways it gets used, but yeah it definitely did not work here.

I see what you did there.

The Genius editing was based entirely on this technique to great effect, I feel like Survivor has done it before but much more sparingly, and not usually for actually pivotal votes?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I can't remember what season it was but the last scene was someone scrambling to find an idol, then they played it at TC then it flash backed to them finding it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Drama, hot off the presses, featuring Cagayan's Garret

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SalTheBard posted:

I can't remember what season it was but the last scene was someone scrambling to find an idol, then they played it at TC then it flash backed to them finding it.

Feels like something they would have done with Russell

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Sounds like the Amanda idol on Micronesia

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm assuming the answer is no but did a thread for The Amazing Race get made for this season? I just caught up on it this weekend and I'm really digging pretty much every team so far.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

They changed the scoring again in the tribal council game so I am now somehow third

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm assuming the answer is no but did a thread for The Amazing Race get made for this season? I just caught up on it this weekend and I'm really digging pretty much every team so far.

I'm not sure, but this is the first season that I've watched in over a decade because they're airing it directly after Survivor. I don't know what the scheduling was like back recently, but back in the day they would air it early Sunday evenings, like at 7PM. Of course, football would always run long, pushing 60 minutes to air later, meaning that when I'd go to watch TAR on my DVR, it would be 45 minutes of 60 minutes, and only the first 15 minutes of TAR. By that point I had been annoyed that they considerably dumbed down the challenges, and had everyone leave at roughly the same time, so I wasn't super bothered by not watching anymore. It seems like that they've kept the challenges to be rather simple, and are actually having everyone leave in 3 groups, which is kind of lame. But I'm enjoying the cast so far.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm not sure, but this is the first season that I've watched in over a decade because they're airing it directly after Survivor. I don't know what the scheduling was like back recently, but back in the day they would air it early Sunday evenings, like at 7PM. Of course, football would always run long, pushing 60 minutes to air later, meaning that when I'd go to watch TAR on my DVR, it would be 45 minutes of 60 minutes, and only the first 15 minutes of TAR. By that point I had been annoyed that they considerably dumbed down the challenges, and had everyone leave at roughly the same time, so I wasn't super bothered by not watching anymore. It seems like that they've kept the challenges to be rather simple, and are actually having everyone leave in 3 groups, which is kind of lame. But I'm enjoying the cast so far.

The groups thing is something they brought in when the last season had to be paused due to covid so they're not hanging around each pit stop as long. I like it because it always kinda worked like that anyway when everyone left super late at night and just ended up all getting stuck in a closed airport.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

njsykora posted:

The groups thing is something they brought in when the last season had to be paused due to covid so they're not hanging around each pit stop as long. I like it because it always kinda worked like that anyway when everyone left super late at night and just ended up all getting stuck in a closed airport.

I kind of really liked the first season where by the finale, one team was days behind everyone else. But I understand that makes things less exciting, and you have very little chance of coming back if you fall behind.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I want them to keep the "do these in any order" system from the first episode as much as they can. Keeping teams in the dark on their relative placing feels a lot more interesting Foreign city navigation has some bad luck potential but at least your placement is largely in your own hands and isn't dependent on the whims of a taxi driver. It's not like picking a tone deaf woman to do what you know will be a yodeling challenge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sighence posted:

I want them to keep the "do these in any order" system from the first episode as much as they can. Keeping teams in the dark on their relative placing feels a lot more interesting Foreign city navigation has some bad luck potential but at least your placement is largely in your own hands and isn't dependent on the whims of a taxi driver. It's not like picking a tone deaf woman to do what you know will be a yodeling challenge.

Yeah I loved the scramble and I hope future seasons use it in more legs. Or this season.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I’m really impressed with Derek and Claire. To go from falling from 1st to 10th at the roadblock to pulling back to 4th on what appeared to be good navigation and nailing the detour task, shows both strong racing fundamentals and being able to keep a good mindset.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Forgot to update my lineup woops. Go coco

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's funny how quick people are to give away the random & seemingly tribe colored beads that Survivor put on their bags before the game started.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I had assumed they'd do the beads thing on every tribe but it kinda sucks that Karla is gonna be exposed as having an idol and going behind her whole tribe's back to get it as soon as merge happens (or swap if such a thing existed).

Well let's see actually, with Nneka gone, and with Noelle having the vote steal, it could potentially just be one other player that knows about it by the time that Vesi tribe finishes voting itself out. The advantage is still gonna be found eventually on the third tribe too though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nexous posted:

Forgot to update my lineup woops. Go coco

I went all in on coco losing and benched the highest scoring player in the game lol

I'm glad tribal went the way it did, Noelle rules and Nneka was an anchor for Vesi.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I liked Nneka but yeah, people on Survivor get sent home for loving up the puzzle once and you did it twice

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Could do without every person having a sad montage about their home life every single episode.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

yeah on RHAP, Rob mentioned that on Australian Survivor you do get some of those backstories but you also get some flashbacks that are like "heres how many rugby championships ive won mate" or like "i hold the world rubiks cube guinness book world record." But lately on the US show it's ALWAYS "after i flatlined, someoen put survivor on the hospital room TV and my heart restarted"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I wonder if the applications have a page for you to fill in any past trauma and hardships now

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Nihonniboku posted:

Could do without every person having a sad montage about their home life every single episode.

currently picturing the sad montage of Andrew Savage and his hot-rear end wife

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ironic Twist posted:

currently picturing the sad montage of Andrew Savage and his hot-rear end wife

Currently picturing Andrew Savage

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Sad montage of Obama taking Jeff Kent's money

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Studio posted:

Sad montage of Obama taking Jeff Kent's money

sad montage of Jimmy Johnson doing blow with Michael Irvin

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

Sad montage of Coach being beaten by cannibal pygmies in a hut...

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Sad montage of Russell losing his home and Dog to Hurricane Katrina

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Sad montage of Rodney drinking his own piss.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

SweetJahasus posted:

Switching to flash forwards Lost-style

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ive successfully benched the boot twice in a row but im a little annoyed at having the boots on my team to begin with.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Fast Luck posted:

But lately on the US show it's ALWAYS "after i flatlined, someoen put survivor on the hospital room TV and my heart restarted"
:laffo:

Love the bead game. It's good tv.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

survivor should cast MJF so he can have his heartfelt traumatic back story of having to have wrestled in florida in front of actual mutants

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Eagerly awaiting the 1-2 punch of fake idol giveaway and real idol play by Gabler that they foreshadowed this week.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Nihonniboku posted:

yeah its way too much by this point

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

I'm just imagining if they had been doing this back during, say, Worlds Apart, where we had multiple abuse survivors, a woman who lost her hearing, Rodney's murdered sister and whatever happened to Vince, Joe and Dan to make them the way they are. Think how much darker that season could have been!

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Leatherhead posted:

I'm just imagining if they had been doing this back during, say, Worlds Apart, where we had multiple abuse survivors, a woman who lost her hearing, Rodney's murdered sister and whatever happened to Vince, Joe and Dan to make them the way they are. Think how much darker that season could have been!

SweetJahasus posted:

whoscookinbacon
Apr 4, 2011
Oddly quiet on the new epp tonight....

but...

I am enjoying this season of Survivor.
I am enjoying The Amazing Race (I watch with my MIL and while she bemoans the elims every leg, it does ramp up the tension.)
The Real Love Boat might one day be used as a slightly more humane substitute for waterboarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
There was that commercial break where Jeff said be sure not to miss tribal because it was brutal.

Instead we got a fairly mundane blindside. The only interesting thing was that Gio seemed to be left out of the vote plan, unless he voted that way in case there was an idol, but somehow I don't think so.