Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Super last second thread for Survivor Season 43! They've learned from their great casting and stupid twists of season 41 and 42 and hopefully we're due a couple of great seasons here!

Survivor airs Wednesday, September 21st (today! oops?) on CBS! Check your local listings, or whatever people do in 2022 to watch tv.

:siren::siren::siren:PAY ATTENTION TO THIS: :siren::siren::siren:

Some basic rules, which should be no-brainers for pre-taped reality TV:
  • :siren:If it pertains to season 43 but has not aired, DO NOT spoil it in this thread:siren:. Keep that poo poo to Sucks or some other dumb Survivor fan site.
  • This show is now 22 years old and has repeatedly brought back previous contestants/winners (and had an all-winner season) so discussion of previous seasons is likely going to be rampant and un-spoiler-tagged. If you're spoiler averse to old seasons, tread lightly. and go watch the old seasons FFS, even the bad ones have good parts! (except 39 don't watch that one it sucks). Also of note, old seasons have a whole lot of people with bad takes on sexuality and race and gender, so buckle in for that if you go back a couple decades.
  • To that end, keep any veiled racist/sexist/misogynist bullshit out of the thread. CBS has pushed to make modern seasons of their reality TV more inclusive so let's do the same and enjoy this more diverse cast! It worked really well for Survivor 41, 42 and especially for Big Brother 23 ignore BB24 which had some yikes stuff, so hopefully Survivor casting can keep it up.

Now for all of the boiler plate poo poo for new viewers in case you've been living under a rock for the past 22 years.
What is Survivor?

Survivor is a reality show where a group of 16 to 20 or so contestants, from all walks of life, are stuck on a remote paradise and forced to live together for 39 26 days; gathering their own food, building their own shelter, and purifying their own water. The cast is split into opposing, equal teams, called tribes. The tribes must work together to form a community, in the hopes of one contestant becoming the Sole Survivor and winning one million dollars. At least one contestant is voted off every episode.

A typical Survivor season has three phases. Pre-Merge, Post-Merge, and Endgame.

• Pre-Merge: Roughly the first half of the game. The tribes compete against each other twice each episode. First for a reward, and second for tribal immunity. Tribes that fail the immunity challenge will be forced to vote one of their own members out at the end of the episode.

• Post-Merge: The tribes are merged together. Players are now playing for individual immunity and all players will participate in voting out a player from the tribe.

• Endgame: Once 5-7 players or so remain, the show reaches the End game phase. Usually the very strong core alliances are shaken up here as people try to reach the end or placate the jury. The last nine players voted out before the final tribal council will join a Jury that will decide who will win of the final three (sometimes two) players.

This Season's Gimmick

The past 2 seasons have been 26 days, down from the former 39 (and AUS Survivor's FIFTY) and per Lord Jeff, this will be the new standard. They are starting with no food/rice/supplies so the game is intended to be harder from the start to compensate for a shorter season.

Jeff said that these seasons are back to basics which we all assumed meant less twists and by golly wouldn't you know it but seasons 41 and 42 were chock full of twists and stupid advantages galore and it was worse than usual but at least the people were cool. Some of the twists we saw in 41/42 (hourglass, do or die) are gone which is great but there will still be stuff like shot in the dark still in the game.

Supplemental Material

• Rob has a Podcast: Available on iTunes or YouTube or their website. He does a few podcasts a week discussing the latest episodes events, interviewing the player who was voted out that episode, and provides theories about strategy. This podcast provides insight into the game that was not aired on the show. It is heavily referenced in this thread.

• Twitter: Survivors poo poo on each other, shill for their crap, and every once in a while tweet something that's actually amusing.

• YouTube: The Official YouTube Channel occasionally puts Ponderosa videos and bonus scenes on their channel but other times they're trying to draw traffic to their CBS All-Access app so they'll put them there instead. Worst case, just search for "Ponderosa [jury member]" and you'll find someone else uploaded it so you don't have to figure that out.

• Australian Survivor - It's out there, there are many seasons of it and it's all very good! The seasons are longer, the episodes are longer, the contestants are Austrailianer and Aussie Probst is cool and good. Where do I watch it though? Ask in thread or search old threads, there's tons of info out there, or if you're not living in 1994 you probably have a VPN and are savvy enough to figure it out. Also, Survivor South Africa is good, particularly the last couple of seasons, so check that out too if you're fiending for more.

Glossary of Terms

• Blindside: When a tribal council seems to be set up so one or one of two possible players are getting eliminated, but somehow either a secret coalition or a surprising idol play makes it so someone else is voted out instead. :blindside:

• "The Edit": Survivor is a show to entertain. It is produced and edited in a way to give players a streamlined personality and to create as much tension before Tribal Council as possible.

• Goat: A useless, awful, or crazy person that is not being voted out of the game specifically so a player can look like a more desirable final survivor to the jury compared to the goat.

• HII: Hidden Immunity Idol. They are hidden around the island. Clues will be given that could reveal their location. One-use item that a player can use after the votes are cast (but before they are read) at Tribal Council to nullify votes against that person. They can't be used at Final Four player or later.

• Mactor: Portmanteau of "Model/Actor". A player who doesn't know the game very well and are just using it to further their career.

• Pagonged: Going into post-merge, it's the act of voting out the former members of your opposing tribe before voting out the former members of your original tribe. It's the reason it's important to win tribal immunity pre-merge so that you outnumber the opposing tribe members in post-merge.

• Pony/Poison: After the new season's cast is announced, thread members will pick a "Pony" (someone they think is awesome and will win) and a "Poison" (someone they think will suck and/or be an annoying rear end in a top hat they hope will lose or just simply suffer)

• Purple Rocks: In the event of a tie at Tribal Council, there is a revote, with only the people receiving the most votes being eligible to receive votes during that revote. If the revote also ends in a tie, Survivors draw rocks. Whichever player draws the differently colored rock is eliminated from the game.

• Splitting the vote/Flushing the Idol: An alliance that splits its votes between two members to counter a potential idol play. If one of those two players plays a Hidden Immunity Idol, there will still be enough players voting for the other guy to vote them out. This strategy can be risky.

Okay cast time - This is going to be super low effort from my end because I'm currently traveling for work and flat out don't have the time to do deep dives. Form your own opinions!

Baka Tribe

From left to right: Elie Scott, Mike Gabler, Morriah Young, Owen Knight, Jeanine Zheng, Sami Layadi

Coco Tribe

From left to right: James Jones, Lindsay Carmine, Ryan Medrano, Geo Bustamante, Karla Godoy, Cassidy Clark

Vesi Tribe

From left to right: Dwight Moore, Nneka Ejere, Cody Assenmacher, Noelle Lambert, Jesse Lopez, Justine Brennan

And that;ll do it. Sorry for the super duper late thread but life is busy. SHOW STARTS THIS WEDNESDAY, WHICH IS TODAY so hold on to your butts or other non-binary making GBS threads apparatus. Pick those ponies and poisons.

Also, fantasy Survivor link below - I think it may be full though:

Chili posted:

Come play Fantasy Survivor!

Head over to https://www.tribal-council.com

Find out league with code: df9dbecb-7131-4836-ba25-99410ec1ca04

Join up, and draft away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Woohoo Survivor is back!!

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
drat its tonight? A welcome surprise

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

pony: james jones
poison: sami

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

basing this solely off photos as I fell off of 42 and have avoided everything about 43 so far

Pony: Jeanine (that okay I'm smiling are you happy expression)
Poison: Geo

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Pony: Owen
Poison: Cody

They've already filmed 44 but everyone remember to bitch endlessly online about the on-island reunions and maybe we'll get a real one back for 45.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

So I picked a fantasy team based solely on pictures. Then I saw I have an active roster and a reserve, and like any good fantasy player I just rolled a few dice to pick my active slot. I plan on reading the rules after the merge.

Edit: for some reason it joined me up twice. Not sure how. Can anyone kick out "Voodoofly#3825" (the one with no picked players). I can't even figure out how to log in as that account or I would do it myself.

Edit edit: nvm guess my phone logs in different

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 21, 2022

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Baka tribe all the way, that entire middle section of them all look like fun people.

Coco looks way too intense and try hard.

I didn’t read any of the player profiles so those are my pony and poison tribes.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

drat I was hoping they’d being that dude back from last season who had the medicinal conflicts.

I forget, has the shot in the dark even worked yet?

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Owen is the obvious pony, but I'm gonna change up

Pony: Dwight
Poison: Carla

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Chili posted:

Owen is the obvious pony, but I'm gonna change up

Pony: Dwight
Poison: Carla

Owen and Dwight would be my first two picks so lets change it up

Pony: Jesse
Poison: Cassidy

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Poison: Gabler

I think Jesse is going to surprise a lot of people this season, seems like from the preseason stuff he's got the goods.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I never remember to do these before the first episode

Pony: Jesse and James, Team Rocket is going all the way
Poison: Mike

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Poison: Owen, public uni all the way fucker!!!!
Pony: Geo

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man i feel like im on a different island than the rest of you, owen exudes pre-merge boot energy

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Premerge boots are way more of a dice roll with three tribes. I get what you mean about him but if his tribe is last to tribaI think he'll solidify.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

SweetJahasus posted:

Also, fantasy Survivor link below - I think it may be full though:

Cool, I'm in. The league was still open as of a few minutes ago

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Oh god why did I just see a screenshot of Rob on Twitter? I can’t watch until tomorrow but if he’s a contestant again I’m not watching, lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Cool puzzle for the strain vs brain challenge. Bold of them to go back to digging after almost killing everyone with that a few years ago

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm just realizing how wonderful it is to not spend half the episode having the cast go to that stupid twist hill where they have to play the prisoner's dilemma

Edit: nevermind! They need to loving stop these stupid twists

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 22, 2022

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Nihonniboku posted:

I'm just realizing how wonderful it is to not spend half the episode having the cast go to that stupid twist hill where they have to play the prisoner's dilemma

:ironicat:

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Not gonna lie, the idols are cool and not just a cool thing and its stand.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Heh, I just realized that the yellow tribe is named Baka which means idiot in Japanese.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
owen sitting there with the smile of a thousand smiles on his face there

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Have not watched.

Pony: Dr. Old Man
Poison: Zoomer Sami

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ZestyTangibleAfricanfisheagle.mp4

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Ror posted:

Baka tribe all the way, that entire middle section of them all look like fun people.

Coco looks way too intense and try hard.

I didn’t read any of the player profiles so those are my pony and poison tribes.

CBS doesn't even have the player profiles up yet. Seems promising.

Just starting the episode.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Any way to see where your fantasy points came from? I could figure it out but I’m lazy

Edit: nm found it

nexous fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Sep 22, 2022

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Pony: Dr. Old Man
I get the logic that he has to play a very special game to win but lmao.
Stop getting cute before the merge.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Sami sounds almost exactly like Wes from The Challenge and it's weirding me out

Poison: uh, idk, Lindsay's giving me Heather vibes

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They seriously named a tribe idiot.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Coco

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
They should name more Survivor tribes after 6ix9ine songs, this is A New Era

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Pony: Geo
Poison: Cody

Honestly, Geo didn't have the best first episode, but he's cute. That logic served me right for Chris Underwood. I also like the Geo/Ryan tiny alliance forming as well as looping in Karla.

I like Coco the best, Baka is okay, and Vesi hasn't really left an impression on me.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This was probably my favourite launch of the 40s seasons. It seems like they've deleted a lot of twists and the cast is actually interesting.

Pony: Jesse. This guy has a wild backstory and I'm excited to see how he plays.
Poison: Cody. That voice is awful.

Also joining the fantasy team competition for the first time. :confuoot:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Every time I see Sami, I think 'Baseketball-era Trey Stone got big.'

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Going all in on the Coco tribe seems like a good choice thus far.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I tried an all-in tribe strategy and it did not work out for me 😔

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

part of the reason i did not hold a lot of hope for owen or sami early is their tribe looks like the runt group of the three

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't realize we had starters and a bench whoops lol that cost me a lot of points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i too forgot to bench players