Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hashy posted:

Mei is about as strong as she's ever been and there are good counterplays to her in a 1v1. Design goal nailed imo

That's really not saying anything, tbh. Sure, you can decimate on her given the right circumstances.

But, she was the lowest pick rate launch hero in OW1, ahead of only Bastion (and Sombra if you include DLC chars). Her win rate was in the bottom 33% as well. There are very few times she was in any kind of established meta. Now they've basically neutered her, and you think she is as strong as she was before, when she was one of the weaker characters in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Just realized that in all of my comp games there has not been a single relevant tank that isn't DVA or Orisa

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Phoix posted:

Just realized that in all of my comp games there has not been a single relevant tank that isn't DVA or Orisa

Zarya, Monkey, and JQ are absolute bosses in many maps and pro play. Hog and Doom delete uncoordinated teams but get wrecked by a good Ana or Zen. Rein is a good default. Sigma does a ton of damage (rock and left click is instant kill on 200hp heroes) but feels weak defensively.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

That's really not saying anything, tbh. Sure, you can decimate on her given the right circumstances.

But, she was the lowest pick rate launch hero in OW1, ahead of only Bastion (and Sombra if you include DLC chars). Her win rate was in the bottom 33% as well. There are very few times she was in any kind of established meta. Now they've basically neutered her, and you think she is as strong as she was before, when she was one of the weaker characters in the game.

Mei's balanced just not for uncoordinated teams, this kinda evens her out on that front - she's a monster right now and great at controlling tanks

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Finally got in, and the game crashed like 2 minutes in.

I thought if you had Overwatch 1, then you got a free battle pass/levels to start? I saw my old skins but no Overwatch coins. What do returning players get that new ones missed, because I thought for sure as a returning player I'd have something new.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
How is the 5 player setup working? As a hard Dva main I'm a bit nervous that diving is less viable without a rock solid tanker at my back. loving with enemy tanks and healers is one of my favorite things in all games. It almost scratches that TF2 itch.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

beer gas canister posted:

How is the 5 player setup working? As a hard Dva main I'm a bit nervous that diving is less viable without a rock solid tanker at my back. loving with enemy tanks and healers is one of my favorite things in all games. It almost scratches that TF2 itch.

I think you will like it. DVA is very strong right now, and all you have to do is just disrupt and eat poo poo. The difference is people are getting used to finding their own cover and tanks just doing their own thing mostly. A good tank will make the other team's life really hard and try to take a lot of attention.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BabyRyoga posted:

She is a lot better at dealing damage now, which makes her less situational. Before she was good at getting picks on things above her weight through her freeze, now with the damage doubled it evens out to "just never stop dealing damage" rather than freezing everyone and then executing them with headshots.

Idk, its fine. They're trying to make the game flatter for competitive play, and that's fine. I'd point out that TF2 sixes have used the same four classes for their matchups since their invention and people don't really moo about reworking pyro to increase their pick rate, but I'm also not a tournament Overwatch player.

VVV Login severs are down so I guess if you're already in line them stay in line

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 7, 2022

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Well Blizzard hasn't bothered to shut the game down for maintenance, or it kicked no one out for it.

Entire parties just leaving when a match goes against their favor are on the rise.

And lastly, I can't hear anyone on voice either. I forget who posted it earlier today, but it worked last night and now I see the active mic icons over heads and hear nothing.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

How is the 5 player setup working?

i think it works good for what their intention was. there's more of an emphasis on flanking to create backline picks and on trying to minimize fire angles instead of relying solely on shields and excessive healing to keep everyone alive. i haven't played tanks much, but they can all take a ridiculous beating from what i've seen

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Andrigaar posted:

Well Blizzard hasn't bothered to shut the game down for maintenance, or it kicked no one out for it.

Entire parties just leaving when a match goes against their favor are on the rise.

And lastly, I can't hear anyone on voice either. I forget who posted it earlier today, but it worked last night and now I see the active mic icons over heads and hear nothing.

for me it was an issue with the wrong device set for voice audio (thanks to whoever suggested that), but it also wasn't working for me last night so i'm not sure if that's true too in your case

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So the 7 wins, 20 losses thing for comp... I lost 9 in a row, but notched another win before maintenance a few min ago. Will I still get skill adjusted after 20 losses regardless of wins? Or did it like "reset" since I got that win just now and is back to counting W's instead?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

So the 7 wins, 20 losses thing for comp... I lost 9 in a row, but notched another win before maintenance a few min ago. Will I still get skill adjusted after 20 losses regardless of wins? Or did it like "reset" since I got that win just now and is back to counting W's instead?

I was confused about that, but I'm pretty sure it will report after 20 losses or 7 wins, whichever comes first. No counter will be reset. So if you get 11 more losses it will report, or if you get 6 more wins before that, it will report.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

headcase posted:

I was confused about that, but I'm pretty sure it will report after 20 losses or 7 wins, whichever comes first. No counter will be reset. So if you get 11 more losses it will report, or if you get 6 more wins before that, it will report.

Ahh ok. So it's possible to get skill adjustments back-to-back then? E.g., if I'm on 19 losses and 6 wins and then get a win and then a loss one after the other?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

How is the 5 player setup working? .

Way better than I believed it would and it is definitely an improvement. It feels better to solo tank in 2 than being either tank in 1 ever did while also making the other roles feel better.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

teagone posted:

It's whichever happens first. So theoretically the longest you could go without an adjustment is of you for example, won 6 matches and lost 19 for a total of 25 games. You would see an adjustment after the next game you play after that.

Behind the scenes though your MMR is being adjusted after every game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ahhh, alright got it. Thanks for explaining it to my smooth brain.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Countblanc posted:

for me it was an issue with the wrong device set for voice audio (thanks to whoever suggested that), but it also wasn't working for me last night so i'm not sure if that's true too in your case

Yeah, It's probably default audio being set to my headset. I don't recall which I was wearing last night, but I was using speakers today.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

headcase posted:

I think you will like it. DVA is very strong right now, and all you have to do is just disrupt and eat poo poo
:getin:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I don’t know why, but Winston doesn’t seem as effective now. DVa seems to be doing Winston’s job way better

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
one of my favorite dirty tricks is to fly somewhere weird, then pepper enemies with useless flak from long distance and watch them flail around looking for an enemy. then i fly away when they spot me lol

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I don’t know why, but Winston doesn’t seem as effective now. DVa seems to be doing Winston’s job way better

As a trash tier tank im finding this mostly just because dvas shorter mobility cooldown lets you get in and out quicker, meaning im punished far less for bad engages. I guess its always been the case but having a dva go in with me as winston always mitigated that i suppose?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i've had a lot more success as Winston but I also never played D.Va before so i'm sure i just lack the muscle memory. the few times I've played her in OW2 my boosters seem to be on charge for 1-2 seconds still anytime I try to use them, and her inability to deal damage while using her mitigation tool is a real Bad Feel for this gamer, especially compared to the ease and versatility of the dome shield

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Cowslips Warren posted:

Finally got in, and the game crashed like 2 minutes in.

I thought if you had Overwatch 1, then you got a free battle pass/levels to start? I saw my old skins but no Overwatch coins. What do returning players get that new ones missed, because I thought for sure as a returning player I'd have something new.

Returning players can play as Kiriko without having to unlock her by leveling up the free track of the battle pass (or just buying it). That's the only real perk.

New players don't have access to all of the old heroes when playing solo. They unlock a new one every few games to make it less overwhelming.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Wow, one whole Battlepass point. How generous!

E:

Also, comparison before and after the new hotfix:

I still can't equip the skin that I bought; the only difference now is that the Unlock button is disabled. :downs:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 7, 2022

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

You have to act like a high key sociopath to only have two endorsement levels

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
not true, you can also just be really bad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
for instance, that screenshot was how i learned endorsement levels existed, which matches with the number of times i've seen a variation of "short bus team zzz" in chat

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Countblanc posted:

i've had a lot more success as Winston but I also never played D.Va before so i'm sure i just lack the muscle memory. the few times I've played her in OW2 my boosters seem to be on charge for 1-2 seconds still anytime I try to use them, and her inability to deal damage while using her mitigation tool is a real Bad Feel for this gamer, especially compared to the ease and versatility of the dome shield

Dva can crush in a handful of matchups, but mostly the goal is to be a gigantic pain in the rear end. run around and chip damage everyone, spook healers, dive into unreasonable places to psych out enemies. throw your ult off a ledge into a fight below. incessantly fly away from the enemy line but show up again seconds later to chip damage them in the back, then fly away again. on offense, fly to a cap point right away at the start of a match and just gently caress around near it to draw dullards away from your team.

re: booster cooldown, Dva's mech alone has something like 600hp. just get into a fight, get shot quite a lot or stand around with the shield up, and by the time you're down to 200hp those jets will be ready to go. super easy way to make enemies turn their backs on your hitscanners

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 7, 2022

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
The point I'm trying to make is that you used to get a loot crate as a reward for endorsement levels. Giving a single Battlepass point is a parody by comparison.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Had an incredible POTG in a recent match that was Ashe immediately getting headshot and lying dead on the ground while Bob killed people in the distance.

Bob is responsible for the vast majority of the few POTGs I get. I love how Ashe plays but goddamn I'm so very bad at her.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 7, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Generic American posted:

Returning players can play as Kiriko without having to unlock her by leveling up the free track of the battle pass (or just buying it). That's the only real perk.

New players don't have access to all of the old heroes when playing solo. They unlock a new one every few games to make it less overwhelming.

Ah okay, thank you. That makes sense!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Winston forever

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I love how the game really really wants me to see that I leveled up my battle pass but didn't get anything.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Jack Trades posted:

I love how the game really really wants me to see that I leveled up my battle pass but didn't get anything.

I thought it was one item per level, mostly? Or is that only for the premium pass?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Mind over Matter posted:

I thought it was one item per level, mostly? Or is that only for the premium pass?

Yeah the free one is mostly trash and empty levels.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mind over Matter posted:

If you don't buy the premium pass then it's 1 piece of garbage every 5 levels, but the game still makes a big deal out of every level.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Oh wow that's terrible and sucks. How dumb.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
I really hope they take the feedback and make it better for the next season. Otherwise the interface is pretty cool. I like the challenges and things like how you only need to complete any 3 daily missions to get all the progress, but then it's all for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd rather they keep Battlepass poo poo.

If there's never anything worthwhile on it then you don't have to bother with it.