Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Nov 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Super Taxi sneaks into the hospital(??) late at night to see how Joost is doing! He finds that Eren is staying up with him at all hours of the night, caring for him until her hands bleed! He prepares to burst into the room to tell Joost how happy he is he's okay! Joost's bandages manage to conform to every curve and ripple of his prodigious physique!

Read right to left:

oh no :ohdear: the fight with god gave him a concussion

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Oct 6, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

dunno sounds like my inner monologue at work

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Last time on Joey's Special Experience by Hirohiko Archie: Super Taxi sneaks into the hospital(??) late at night to see how Joost is doing! He finds that Eren is staying up with him at all hours of the night, caring for him until her hands bleed! He prepares to burst into the room to tell Joost how happy he is he's okay! Joost's bandages manage to conform to every curve and ripple of his prodigious physique!

Read right to left:

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

jesus christ lol

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

i love the zooming around panel but ALSO this guy's ideal pizza idea was plain cheese with a single olive in the middle such a great page

thank you RADICAL YOUTH

radical youth is out of ideas at this point

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

i love the zooming around panel but ALSO this guy's ideal pizza idea was plain cheese with a single olive in the middle such a great page

thank you RADICAL YOUTH

radical youth is out of ideas at this point

I'm just constantly enjoying what a good looking comic this is. I'm so used to Anthony Clark from just Nedroid and his doodles, which are talented but generally simple, it's easy to forget it's the same person.

Although, since I asked about the artist early on, there's been a lot more stuff on the character end that is recognizably from him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

x

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Stand Still. Stay Silent
Longer post than usual to include the info pages

Sweet digs

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm going through earlier installments of Stand Still doing the same thing Lalli did, just revisiting the town before it went away. This is a great comic.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Empty Sandwich posted:

down down down you go, no way to stop

Tenchi Muyo definitely did something crazy to my middle school adolescent brain as well. Glad to see someone else acknowledge it!

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Shageletic posted:

I'm going through earlier installments of Stand Still doing the same thing Lalli did, just revisiting the town before it went away. This is a great comic.

Yeah, Im' really happy to be reading these later bits, the comic has really picked up while when I quite reading it was more about a dangerous road-trip without all that much going on. Thanks for posting it, Kit!

(Fun fact: "Kade" is Finnish slang word for "kateellinen", i.e. "jealous". My hunch is that the creature is named after some folklore and this etymological link isn't actually there, but it's still fun.)

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

I am so glad someone else remembers White Ninja! There's an incomplete archive here, and it's...well, it's definitely what I remember:

"White Ninja does a good deed"

"White Ninja takes his dog to the doctor"

"White Ninja has a prosthetic foot"

"White Ninja and the floating boy"

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Lumskhund 15
Lumskhund 16
Lumskhund 17
Lumskhund 18
Lumskhund 19

Lumskhund 20

Lumskhund 21

Well then - who can figure out (without having read the comic before) why the stars vanish?

Talking character deaths: 44
Deaths altogether: 83+
Scepter of Deaths: way more than 10, pretty much impossible to count (+whatever, I think I'll only count on-screen sceptering from now on)

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Hempuli posted:

Well then - who can figure out (without having read the comic before) why the stars vanish?

I've got my theory on that, The Scepter of Death's simulation only simulates a ~6 light year radius sphere around it. Because the stars themselves are not simulated giving light off, the light that was traveling within the simulation at the time it started runs out at the 5y 318d mark.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Hempuli posted:

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

:tviv: but it's my computer monitor instead of a tv

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Thorsby honestly has some of the coolest sci-fi ideas out there and I love the execution as well. Somehow it needs that goofy art style as well, but someone smarter than me can explain why.

Anyway, have some Hark! A Vagrant.

“He was, without a doubt, the greatest agent produced by the Americans during the first World War”

Ohh Sasaki Kojiro you should not have run your mouth

(oh I should also mention that he carved a sword from the boat oar they say, but man it was still a boat oar. There was no room for a carving scene! I squish things enough). Anyway yeah he also knew drat well what he was doin’

Perhaps it is time I made a comic about Napoleon featuring something he actually did

January 4, 1889

To friend Overbeck and wife.

Although you have so far demonstrated little faith in my ability to pay, I yet hope to demonstrate that I am somebody who pays his debts?for example, to you. I am just having all anti-Semites shot.

The more I read about Emperor Norton the more I think he totally rules.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Emzedoh posted:

Ok so: WW2, Eastern Front, Nazis and communists. Except, all myths are true and fairy tale creatures and characters have been mobilised to fight on each side. The main characters are the Baba Yaga's apprentice and her eternally flustered NKVD minder. Together, they fight Nazis. Oh, and the author is another history fiend.

That's Kutsuzure Sensen.

Comrades! Let us rest from our labours and enjoy a tale of the Great Patriotic War, as recounted in Kutsuzure Sensen!

Incidentally, each chapter of Kutsuzure Sensen comes with bonus pages called The Whispers of the Screw, which detail the history of various technologies. Since there are rather a lot of them, I'm just going to provide a link to the imgur album for each album.

Here's the first chapter's album:
https://imgur.com/a/2JuWo4j
And the second:
https://imgur.com/a/Tx6Equk

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The reveal that the scepter of death kills an entire planet worth of simulated people every time it's used is one that I think a lot of people saw coming a few pages before it happened but it's still really good.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Mostly because you get to enjoy the amazing moment when the characters themselves realize it

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

MokBa posted:

Thorsby honestly has some of the coolest sci-fi ideas out there and I love the execution as well. Somehow it needs that goofy art style as well, but someone smarter than me can explain why.

It's a matter of taste for sure. I absolutely love the crazy poo poo Thorsby puts out and I agree: the art helps take some of the edge off of the more serious bits, but also allows for cartoon shenanigans. For me it's perfect.

Other comics in the same vein idea-wise but that take themselves deadly serious I don't often enjoy as much even if they are almost exactly the same subject-wise (like qualia the purple).

I'm just not into the whole weird "we're cutesy kids on a maaaaaagical adventure and HOLY poo poo THEY BLEW HER BRAINS OUT" bait and switch poo poo that you see around.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Borosilicate posted:

The reveal that the scepter of death kills an entire planet worth of simulated people every time it's used is one that I think a lot of people saw coming a few pages before it happened but it's still really good.

On my first read-through I didn't really appreciate how dedicated the ambassador is. He's re-running the sim dozens of times a day to calculate his odds, committing suicide every time. :catstare:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

the holy poopacy posted:

On my first read-through I didn't really appreciate how dedicated the ambassador is. He's re-running the sim dozens of times a day to calculate his odds, committing suicide every time. :catstare:

I was pretty much thinking "how'd he know about so many iterations to get those....ohhhh :ohno:"

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

It's a matter of taste for sure. I absolutely love the crazy poo poo Thorsby puts out and I agree: the art helps take some of the edge off of the more serious bits, but also allows for cartoon shenanigans. For me it's perfect.

Other comics in the same vein idea-wise but that take themselves deadly serious I don't often enjoy as much even if they are almost exactly the same subject-wise (like qualia the purple).

I'm just not into the whole weird "we're cutesy kids on a maaaaaagical adventure and HOLY poo poo THEY BLEW HER BRAINS OUT" bait and switch poo poo that you see around.

:same:

Always felt kind of juvenile to be me, to be honest.

the holy poopacy posted:

Future him is, present sceptre touching him isn't. In fact, each of the simulated ambassadors only does it once, even from their perspective, since you only get the vision of the death scene, not the actual experience and memories of it.

I imagine it's tedious work, but from ambassador prime's perspective I don't think it's that tough.

Emzedoh has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Oct 7, 2022

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

hmm even though i guess the ambassador is the antagonist i never really thought about how much he went through to make his ideal future a reality. having yall here to talk through it kinda makes me sympathize a bit more for a dedicated friend trying to save the life of someone he admired. of course since all we ever see is the protagonists' adventures and not the probably evil poo poo the ambassador is doing off panel that helps not having too much of a connection to the villain and their plots.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

I've got my theory on that, The Scepter of Death's simulation only simulates a ~6 light year radius sphere around it. Because the stars themselves are not simulated giving light off, the light that was traveling within the simulation at the time it started runs out at the 5y 318d mark.

If its reasonably earthlike, wouldn't a few of the nearest stars still be visible?

Borosilicate
Aug 26, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are only 4 stars within a 5 light years and 318 light days radius of the Earth including the sun, and one of them isn't visible with the naked eye.

Emzedoh posted:

I imagine it's tedious work, but from ambassador prime's perspective I don't think it's that tough.

If you come up with a painless way to die and use it every time it's not really so bad, though I imagine it would be a bit existentially distressing. Monarchists do be like that though.

Borosilicate has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Oct 7, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Maybe it creates a temporary copy that only extends 5 light years and 318 light days. Any light that was already on its way gets copied over but nothing outside of that

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The scepter just dims the stars after a period of use to prevent image burn-in.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I assume that it just stops simulating the rest of the universe after that many days because that’s a big computational load

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

lol that's a good av post combo

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

thetoughestbean posted:

I assume that it just stops simulating the rest of the universe after that many days because that’s a big computational load
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVpqaac4mZ0

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Borosilicate posted:

There are only 4 stars within a 5 light years and 318 light days radius of the Earth including the sun, and one of them isn't visible with the naked eye.

Yeah, space is biiiiiiiiiiig. It would be interesting if that comes up though, like someone on the opposite pole of the planet confirms they can still see one or two stars that are within the Scepter's simulation because those stars just happened to be close enough to this planet. That is on the assumption that "all the stars disappear" because the only ones visible from Diabolica's latitude are not within the simulation.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dieting Hippo posted:

Oh that makes way more sense than my thing

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:
The decision to read Trixie at this pace: slowly but not as slowly as it would have been to follow it at the original update pace, and while discussing it with you people, is proving to be one of my better life choices.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Suicide based oracle is certainly a unique character.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

I have to admit, I'm regretting my choice to read ahead after we cut to Lyndon. I just had to know!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RandolphCarter posted:

Suicide based oracle is certainly a unique character.

I've seen a couple of books where a haruspex does something similar, but those cases are a bit of a one-time accidental thing.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Ronnie noooooo

lmao