Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Having to PF for two weeks while a majority of my static are on vacation is hellish, let me tell you. I just hope that quality picks back up on the weekend so that I can get my P8S reclear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Unfortunately, it will likely not. Quality of PF over a week is inversely proportional to how close you are to Tuesday. It's easiest to get PF reclears on Tuesday, and it gets progressively harder until Monday.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh wow. When it's all laid out like that the problem's obvious but I can see all the "sensible decisions" that led to it just because someone handed bits of code off to someone else with different assumptions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

This was the example that came to mind, too. It's surprisingly commonplace in multiplayer games; IIRC, even League of Legends determines pick order in the lobby based at least in part on an internal database ID, so people who queue up together have noted that they tend to get the same general position in pick order consistently when playing with the same friends.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
PF quality also drops as the tier progresses, though improved gear counteracts that to some extent. The players who are working on P7S are all dedicated enough to have gotten a clear on 5 and 6 week one. The people working on P7S week 6 are a much more mixed lot

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Every time I hear about an FF14 code quirk I'm amazed the game runs at all. Though the same can be said of any program.

It it compiles, it's good.

I'll retract my probability comment. I already have bad reactions to my own company's product, which I know just enough about to know I don't want to know more.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The outstanding example would be the aforementioned P8S animal transition, which tends to deeply favor a specific order per instance. My guess would be it's checking something about the instance - a GUID or a timestamp, etc. - and generating values from that in a way where it's landing in a lopsided manner. In this case, it's not 'probability' - there is something goofy happening with how it's rolling dice.

my favourite instance of rng shenanigans was when i was doing a8s with a blue mage party for the mount. one of the mechanics late in the fight, gavel, puts one of seven combinations of each player based on role, one of these is penalty 2, which requires getting hit by a very specific attack and nothing else or the party will wipe. even so much as a single auto from the boss would ruin this, but luckily only dps can get penalty 2 so tanks are safe from stray autos

only, blue mages are all considered dps in terms of role-based mechanics assignment, meaning assignments are random, so there's a 25% chance (since there's two penalty 2s going out) that the main tank would get it, eat an auto immediately as debuffs are assigned, and end the run close to the finish line. except ff14 rng is completely hosed so our tank got penalty 2 like, 95% of the times we made it to gavel, and i eventually made the decision to just taunt the boss off of him since i somehow never get penalty 2

this was in 60 cap when gavel skip was a thought exercise rather than the standard procedure it is now

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

a cartoon duck posted:

my favourite instance of rng shenanigans was when i was doing a8s with a blue mage party for the mount. one of the mechanics late in the fight, gavel, puts one of seven combinations of each player based on role, one of these is penalty 2, which requires getting hit by a very specific attack and nothing else or the party will wipe. even so much as a single auto from the boss would ruin this, but luckily only dps can get penalty 2 so tanks are safe from stray autos

only, blue mages are all considered dps in terms of role-based mechanics assignment, meaning assignments are random, so there's a 25% chance (since there's two penalty 2s going out) that the main tank would get it, eat an auto immediately as debuffs are assigned, and end the run close to the finish line. except ff14 rng is completely hosed so our tank got penalty 2 like, 95% of the times we made it to gavel, and i eventually made the decision to just taunt the boss off of him since i somehow never get penalty 2

this was in 60 cap when gavel skip was a thought exercise rather than the standard procedure it is now

I'm pretty sure for BLU gavel, 4 of your party members get assigned as tanks/healer and 4 as DPS for the mechanic when you enter the instance. When my raid group was getting it done for malboros this held true for both the sessions we took to kill it.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

it's been more than two years at this point so my memory is hazy, but i wanna say we got combinations of debuffs between pulls that weren't just tied to a single role, but i might be confusing debuffs gotten in a single instance with debuffs gotten in different instances with different players. back then the going theory was that the game uses player id to seed rng, and our tank just had the perfect id to almost exclusively get penalty 2. though, even if the game dig assign fake roles upon instancing and used them exclusively, you'd think he'd still get the nisi debuffs once in a blue moon instead of being cursed with penalty 2 and almost nothing else

fake edit: also i misremembered and penalty 3 was the run-ruining debuff

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

My old blu group at the time also had a discussion about this, and we definitely had people get debuffs of multiple roles within the same instance.

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
We also ran into that issue on BLU a8s back then! I think most of the group thought, as someone mentioned, it was fixed like o11s, but which players were able to be targeted by which sets of debuffs (we definitely could get different sets on different pulls) seemed to shift between a8s lockouts.

Ultimately, we just decided the safest strategy was to just keep the boss north, the party south on his feet and ready to taunt in case the tanks couldn't take the autos, and have the tanks break away to the south during the debuff-assigning cast. Old MMO-rear end poo poo, where you had to put person picking up the boss between the target he'd run off towards because NPCs oh-so-slightly outpace your runspeed and taunt's range is only melee.

I kinda dislike them automatically targeting roles for boss mechanics all the time, so it's neat to have to handle everything a different way as BLU. Though, it makes certain parts of fights an utter mess that must be cheesed to pass, like o8s' 2nd Forsaken.

Jabbering Idiot fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 6, 2022

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Vermain posted:

This was the example that came to mind, too. It's surprisingly commonplace in multiplayer games; IIRC, even League of Legends determines pick order in the lobby based at least in part on an internal database ID, so people who queue up together have noted that they tend to get the same general position in pick order consistently when playing with the same friends.

I never knew this but I was always like "I pick first an insanely high number of times" when I'm playing with goons. I had thought it had something to do with the fact that my account has been around since beta. I'm glad my suspicions were not crazy thoughts.

In another note, I finally beat Shadowbringers post-MSQ so I have shed the sprout status. Only took me 11 months to do post-ARR -> post-Shadowbringers, though I definitely did a lot of stopping to smell the roses. Funny enough, it took me literally until yesterday to realize that Garlemald does not have an I in it. I genuinely thought it was "Gar-le-maid".

I do actually watch story cutscenes, but apparently not well enough! :v:

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 7, 2022

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Island crafts looking pretty dire this week as far as returns. But maybe we're just spoiled from good rng on previous weeks.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Thundarr posted:

Island crafts looking pretty dire this week as far as returns. But maybe we're just spoiled from good rng on previous weeks.

Sorry, this is my fault. I started using Teamcraft's calculator, and I'm not allowed to be successful.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Every time I hear about an FF14 code quirk I'm amazed the game runs at all. Though the same can be said of any program.

It it compiles, it's good.

Psh. This game's code is fiiiine. Surely having the backend on Excel has no unintended side effects.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Unfortunately, it will likely not. Quality of PF over a week is inversely proportional to how close you are to Tuesday. It's easiest to get PF reclears on Tuesday, and it gets progressively harder until Monday.

No.... NOOOOOOOO

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

HPanda posted:

Psh. This game's code is fiiiine. Surely having the backend on Excel has no unintended side effects.

What am I supposed to be seeing here

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

What am I supposed to be seeing here

Last line.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

What a blunder, you should've waited for Postal Code to undercut the listings by half.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pretty crazy how everyone in the excel spreadsheet has an Asiago Bagel variable that gets tracked, but i'm sure SE has their reasons

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Mister Olympus posted:

s-e rng is just like that. too many 99% chances whiff in this game for there not to be something wonky

Similar oddities happen with retainer ventures and they are super obvious if you have a lot of retainers. Like getting 6 retainers all returning a single Crystal or all returning loot that drops in Holminster Switch.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

HPanda posted:

Last line.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lode..._lang=fr&order=

You do know people just name themselves stupid poo poo in this game right?

You people really out here just making poo poo up to justify coincidences, huh.... I mean if we wanna start a cult I'm all for it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You people really out here just making poo poo up to justify coincidences, huh.... I mean if we wanna start a cult I'm all for it.

Crystal has enough for a Light Party, and now I want to see that happen

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

funkymonks posted:

Similar oddities happen with retainer ventures and they are super obvious if you have a lot of retainers. Like getting 6 retainers all returning a single Crystal or all returning loot that drops in Holminster Switch.

I've definitely had "Holminster" retainer days. The crystals are if you already had the green gear from a holminster day and i guess it's too hard to make it just reroll for a different loot?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'm not even sure that excel is that much worse for database work beyond the arbitrary column/row numbers where it starts breaking; 2D arrays aren't exactly an arcane science, and if someone's invented a better version of one, i haven't heard of it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Casting chicken bones and getting wing tip pointing SE twice in a row

Clearly this is Square's dogshit RNG engine and coding again.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

HPanda posted:

Last line.

I still have no loving clue what I'm looking at. Literally nothing is wrong in that image?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Username/post combo.

And yes, okay, that's my bad. Didn't know that's where crafter name is placed.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I still have no loving clue what I'm looking at. Literally nothing is wrong in that image?

Correct, as it turns out. I was not previously aware that the last line is the crafter's name. I had the outfit for a while, then shortly after learning of the extensive Excel use by the dev team, saw "Phone Number" on an item description. I thought this was a humorous fluke, having some rather extensive memory problems and forgetting that this was the crafter's name, but it turns out that this is the name of the crafter. And not in fact a misinterpretation of an Excel spreadsheet by the game. Which I believed would have been humorous. Alas.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Phone Number is a goon and probably would have crafted that for you for much cheaper than whatever you paid buying it off the market board.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It is funny though that way back when they patched that name field to display "Obtaining Signature" if the server is unable to fetch the crafter's actual signature for any reason.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Some jokers have also named themselves Obtaining Signature, of course, but they're not responsible for all the crafted items you may have attributed to the name.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

wizardofloneliness posted:

Phone Number is a goon and probably would have crafted that for you for much cheaper than whatever you paid buying it off the market board.

In retrospect, that's exactly who it was and I didn't make the connection.

Genuine apologies if you're reading this. All I can say is that strokes make for bad memory and poor information connections.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Did anyone else forget they pre-ordered the hardcover collection of the short stories? I sure as hell did and just got the email from square about it being about to debit so...those are heading out soon!

E:https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/product/721885/final-fantasy-xiv-chronicles-of-light-book

Oh Oct 18th. I completely missed that date getting announced, huh

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 7, 2022

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HPanda posted:

Correct, as it turns out. I was not previously aware that the last line is the crafter's name. I had the outfit for a while, then shortly after learning of the extensive Excel use by the dev team, saw "Phone Number" on an item description. I thought this was a humorous fluke, having some rather extensive memory problems and forgetting that this was the crafter's name, but it turns out that this is the name of the crafter. And not in fact a misinterpretation of an Excel spreadsheet by the game. Which I believed would have been humorous. Alas.

There might be the potential for someone else to get confused about things I craft in the same way, considering my character's name is Oaken Bookshelf.

Hogama posted:

Some jokers have also named themselves Obtaining Signature, of course, but they're not responsible for all the crafted items you may have attributed to the name.

Somewhere, might have been here, one of my discords, or Newbie Network, someone postulated naming a character Watching Cutscene.

Or Watching Catscene.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I have a Glamour Dresser alt on Excal. Sitting on that name in case I ever want a change.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Thundarr posted:

Week 7 Total: 24,135 :blueshell_is:

Seems fine? The weeks before that were slightly over 25k each, but I really wouldn't call this one dire.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

GloomMouse posted:

I've definitely had "Holminster" retainer days. The crystals are if you already had the green gear from a holminster day and i guess it's too hard to make it just reroll for a different loot?

personally i'm glad that all your retainers get together for a dungeon run every once in awhile, just hanging out killing some monsters

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

me last week except supergaze for snake 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Announcement about unauthorised account access and resetting passwords

Interestingly, it doesn't seem like it was Square that was hacked or anything, they've just noticed people trying to log into accounts using details stolen from other websites and basically saying "use a different password here from everywhere else, idiots! Also, turn on 2FA"