Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Have you messed around with adding traits at all or are you only futzing with class + race for character generation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Set
Oct 30, 2005
Is anyone here familiar with what is going on with Mythic Games at the moment? They have gone completely radio silent in the Monsterpocalypse Kickstarter, and I have a bad feeling. Lucky I went with the cheapest level and haven't paid for the shipping yet, I guess. I checked the comments sections in a couple of their other Kickstarters and they seem to have the same problems too. Some of the comments mentioned that they are having money issues and have fired people?

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

CODChimera posted:

i'm curious as to how much grind there is, that seems like the glaring issue in most AR story games. i ended up refunding my pledge because i started to freak out about getting too many games at once

I’ll get a better feel for it a few more missions in, early impressions are positive, hitting that X-Com feeling of new research to do and new gear to make, which was always a very satisfying gameplay loop. Will have to see if we spend multiple trips on some planets or if most are one and done.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Set posted:

Is anyone here familiar with what is going on with Mythic Games at the moment? They have gone completely radio silent in the Monsterpocalypse Kickstarter, and I have a bad feeling. Lucky I went with the cheapest level and haven't paid for the shipping yet, I guess. I checked the comments sections in a couple of their other Kickstarters and they seem to have the same problems too. Some of the comments mentioned that they are having money issues and have fired people?

Mythic Games might be in trouble. Yeah people have been fired and their communication has turned to complete poo poo. Their currently shipping project, Darkest Dungeon, has been riddled with problems. The most recent one being OCE not having a container ship booked and just being completely ignored in the shipping update

They had to pause refunds for a period and there's at least a month long delay because there's so many requests across all projects

I hope they pull through, I really like Super Fantasy Brawl and wanted to get Hel but nothing post campaign has been promising or building hype and it's just been so long I switched it to Darkest Dungeon

Set
Oct 30, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Mythic Games might be in trouble. Yeah people have been fired and their communication has turned to complete poo poo. Their currently shipping project, Darkest Dungeon, has been riddled with problems. The most recent one being OCE not having a container ship booked and just being completely ignored in the shipping update

They had to pause refunds for a period and there's at least a month long delay because there's so many requests across all projects

I hope they pull through, I really like Super Fantasy Brawl and wanted to get Hel but nothing post campaign has been promising or building hype and it's just been so long I switched it to Darkest Dungeon

What a shame. They seemed to be a pretty trustworthy company when it came to fulfillment of Kickstarters. Especially with Monsterpocalypse, as it was a pretty much a finished game. Considering the comments I saw, I am not sure that I would get a refund if I asked for one, so I guess I'll just have to hope for the best.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I think the only thing I have waiting from them is a webstore release of an Enchanters expansion (Darklands), so I'm relieved I don't have a big Kickstarter hanging in the air (like a few other companies I've backed that have been having problems as well). I'd say that at least Super Fantasy Brawl has 24 characters now through expansions, so it could be considered finished.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
Last 5 hours on Rubble City 2 by Fenris Games!

http://kck.st/3RMeSk8

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

CODChimera posted:

i'm curious as to how much grind there is, that seems like the glaring issue in most AR story games. i ended up refunding my pledge because i started to freak out about getting too many games at once

According to early reviews on BGG there is little - even returning to a planet will be different from a first landing.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FINALLY got shipping info for Call to Adventure

A whole loving month to be delivered god drat

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Still waiting on mine by it was probably eaten by Ian lol

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Huh, apparently Kickstarter finally named a new CEO, and Everette Taylor (formerly CMO of Artsy) is taking over.

An Email posted:

Hi, my name is Everette Taylor and I’m the new CEO of Kickstarter.

It feels surreal to write those words. I’ve long admired Kickstarter, in large part because of its passionate community of creators and backers like you.

Coming to Kickstarter aligns with my own personal mission to help artists and creators, especially those who don’t have the resources and the same advantages others may have. One of the beautiful things about Kickstarter is that it helps level the playing field, that anyone with an idea has a chance to bring it into the world.

Prior to Kickstarter, I was the CMO of Artsy where I worked to support artists around the world. I’m excited to be at Kickstarter and expand beyond just the visual arts to provide access to funding for creators of all forms: games, comics, film, music, literature, design, tech and more. The possibilities are limitless, and so is the potential of this company and community.

This is just the beginning. Any strategy here at Kickstarter will start with this community in mind first. I want Kickstarter to be a platform that you can be proud of and one that we can work together to improve. I built my career as an entrepreneur simply by listening to the people the product was for. My time at Kickstarter will be no different.

I will give my all to make sure that more creators can be supported around the world and that backers are having better experiences, that anybody with an idea can bring their dreams and imagination to fruition.

I feel extremely grateful for this opportunity to be on this journey with you, and I want to hear from you. You can reach me on Instagram or Twitter.

Look out for more exciting updates from the team soon. Oh and one last thing—thank you for your contribution to Kickstarter’s legacy thus far: $6.8B pledged. More than 225,000 creative projects funded. None of that would have happened if it wasn’t for all of you.

Looking forward to making more magic together.

Everette Taylor
CEO, Kickstarter

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

quote:

I built my career as an entrepreneur simply by listening to the people the product was for. My time at Kickstarter will be no different.

Here's hoping he listens to all those people who said KS should immediately abandon crypto bullshit projects.

VVV Oops. Fixed pronoun. Guess I shoulda loving figured.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 30, 2022

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I assumed Everette was a woman too, but it turns out he's a man.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no, Modiphius are crowdfunding a Homeworld board game soon.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Thanlis in the TG Industry Thread posted:

Normal turnover. Aziz Hasan left in March and they’ve been looking for the permanent replacement ever since, so this is just the end of that process.

New guy probably doesn’t hate NFTs, though: https://nft.artsy.net/
Welp. Continue to gently caress Kickstarter with a rusty bayonet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Got Call to Adventure: Epic Origin

Feels more premium than I expected coming from boss monster (though I love boss monster)

Never played the original or the brandon sanderson thing because I haven't read the books (yet) nor name of the wind (same) so I didn't get those.

I've never got a folded space thing before and it feels premium but that was kind of boring and mindless to assemble. I hate using pva glue lol

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Next Level Miniatures: Dragon's Hoard Miniatures Vol. 1 - No One Wants to Work Anymore

quote:

One reason we're planning to ship in batches is frankly just a labor capacity issue. Over the past month we've had some rough going hiring new employees. We've posted on job sites, got the word out on social media, and even posted to many local job boards in the St. Louis area. Frustratingly, many applicants don't even reply when we try to schedule an interview, but even when we've hired new people some of them have quit within days, so it's back to the well again. It's unfortunately just a longer process than we'd hoped to get where we want to be on that front. No one wants this campaign done and delivered more than we do, because the longer it takes, the longer our next planned project (which is already well into the process) will be delayed.

I am VERY tempted to ask for a job to see what they are offering, but I suspect it will result in not getting anything.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

$15-17/hr apparently? Probably few benefits since they're not mentioned outside flexible hours. At this point maybe they'd be willing to agree to some contractual steps to keep someone around longer?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Cool, Fenton is right up the road. Wonder how long those molds last? Never seen soft molds, wouldn’t mold lines get atrocious as it ages? Is anyone else doing minis in AMERICA?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

To give you a hint of why, they're offering $15-17 for a production manufacturing position when the local job market is starting unskilled dishwashers at $15.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/fbh/d/saint-louis-dishwashers-start/7540221977.html

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

djfooboo posted:

Cool, Fenton is right up the road. Wonder how long those molds last? Never seen soft molds, wouldn’t mold lines get atrocious as it ages? Is anyone else doing minis in AMERICA?

Reaper’s moved their Bones production in house during the pandemic.

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Nah, they just started also doing Siocast plastic minis in house as "Bones USA," which are more of an alternative to metal (more expensive than standard Bones but an insane step up in quality). Most Bones are still made in China.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, this looks excellent, The Stifling Dark, a hidden movement game with horror elements, and a cool line of sight/flashlights mechanic.

AND they’ve linked to a text only version of their campaign page for screen readers because all the text is on pictures on KS, so good on them.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Two days left on the Legend of Zelda-esque rpg Heroes of Cerulea.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackfiskforlag/heroes-of-cerulea-pixelated-dungeon-crawl-tabletop-rpg

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
The Secret World Kickstarter campaign is up:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/star-anvil-studios/the-secret-world/

Will fund in the next hour or two, I presume.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

there's also this that looks pretty cool:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mindmgmt/harrow-county-the-game-of-gothic-conflict

and the new Tainted Grail, which looks to fix a lot of issues with the original:

https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/tainted-grail-kings-of-ruin

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, this looks excellent, The Stifling Dark, a hidden movement game with horror elements, and a cool line of sight/flashlights mechanic.

AND they’ve linked to a text only version of their campaign page for screen readers because all the text is on pictures on KS, so good on them.

That DOES look pretty cool, I like that a lot.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CitizenKeen posted:

Was hype until I saw 5e.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MonsieurChoc posted:

Was hype until I saw 5e.

Yeah, sucks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CitizenKeen posted:

quote:

IMPORTANT PRINTING NOTE: Every non-digital reward will be handled by Print-On-Demand through DrivethruRPG. Backers will receive a code to print their books AT COST using DrivethruRPG's site. See the Printing & Delivery section below for more details.

:lol:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Did someone say 1 vs Many + Hidden Movement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOQcnliEjXM

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

For a first time studio I think that is absolutely the correct choice.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

CitizenKeen posted:

The POD part isn't the LOL part. Whatever. I've seen plenty of RPGs go that route and it's a smart one if you're trying to get your project out there and don't want to deal with printing and shipping mass volumes of product without much experience in doing so.

For me, the issue is that there's no specific designer on board. We have a "publisher and art director" and a "project manager." But no mention of who the lead writer is, no sample of flavor text, no sample of mechanical text, no quickplay -- nothing beyond The Secret World brand (which, granted, I love - I was a lifetime subscriber member back in the day) to sell me on the RPG or show me how much work has actually been put into making the RPG a viable product.

Thanks. No. Hard pass as presented.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Memnaelar posted:

The POD part isn't the LOL part. Whatever. I've seen plenty of RPGs go that route and it's a smart one if you're trying to get your project out there and don't want to deal with printing and shipping mass volumes of product without much experience in doing so.

For me, the issue is that there's no specific designer on board. We have a "publisher and art director" and a "project manager." But no mention of who the lead writer is, no sample of flavor text, no sample of mechanical text, no quickplay -- nothing beyond The Secret World brand (which, granted, I love - I was a lifetime subscriber member back in the day) to sell me on the RPG or show me how much work has actually been put into making the RPG a viable product.

Thanks. No. Hard pass as presented.

Yep, this, although also worth saying they misrepresent the POD thing at point-of-backing (saying "You'll receive the Secret World RPG book, the Art of the Secret World book, and the Power Deck, all in print!" when what you'll actually get at that price tier is the right to pay DtRPG to print a copy) too.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, it's absolutely misleading because the rewards mention nothing of the sort.

A lot of backers are going to be upset about having to drop a decent amount more, based on the number of pages and printing options. The pricing is also pretty bad considering that $60 doesn't have any production costs in it.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, going POD is a good call. Nobody likes getting hosed by supply chain issues and unexpected shipping rate hikes. Not having that clear in your reward tier is scummy though, especially when the price on that tier is high enough that it looks like it should include printing and delivery.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
$60 isn't gonna do a core book, card deck, and artbook, not these days. Probably just the core and even then it might be low. But certainly plenty of people won't realize that.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

MCG's latest rpg agnostic book is on its last day on backerkit: (Free preview to look at. Also, a separate Numenera book if you are interested)

https://www.backerkit.com/c/monte-cook-games/the-weird

---This is doing well, but not quite as well as their kickstarters normally do. Possibly as a result of the switch to Backerkit, but this is also a bit different than what they normally do.

And Daybreak (solve climate change) by Matt Leacock(Pandemic) also on backerkit:

https://www.backerkit.com/c/alex-hague/daybreak

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Another Canvas expansion coming later in October :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Another Canvas expansion coming later in October :toot:

Welp, good thing I haven't decided on a place to mount the first 2 boxes yet