Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I was on emergency tax for several months last year because HMRC updated my tax code to me but 'forgot' to send the notification to my employer without which they could do nothing.
I have to do a self-assessment form so every year they screw up my taxcode which usually takes a couple of months to sort out.

A blend of the two far right codes of 18 & 88.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Article about all the fun things that right whingers want the Truss to adopt.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/06/revealed-rightwing-slash-and-burn-ideas-that-could-be-blueprint-for-truss

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

quote:

The document from the Free Market Forum (FMF), an offshoot of the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA), suggests scrapping free childcare hours, releasing green belt land for housing, abolishing corporation tax and dropping teacher training qualifications for graduates.

Other ideas include remote learning so parents can pick the best teachers, amending the Equalities Act so white working-class boys are better protected, and restoring the link between tax and household income so a married woman’s income could be seen as part of her husband’s.

I'm so tired of all of this...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Thanks again for the help, I've just sent a message to HMRC using the online form. Hopefully it's sorted out soon as I've been chewing through my savings without noticing.

Kinda pissed at my last company for this (as well as myself for not checking sooner).

Is the self-assessment stuff difficult by the way? Since I've registered I've not really been sent much about what to do.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

druthers posted:

Its one persons work for a day, unless there just so happen to be a lot of other poo poo stained statues nearby. £200 is the low end of where i'd expect it to be.
(i lurk a lot, and most of the time the thread moves too fast for me to feel like anything i'd have to contribute is still relevant, but i've spent a lot of my life cleaning up other peoples poo poo and its not cheap unless your ripping off the people who actaully do it)

thank you that's very interesting

if i was that woman's solicitor i would argue that birds poo poo all over war memorials all the time, the stoney bloke on the top of the one in my town looks like he has a toupee

but it's bird poo poo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

*pulls mask off Free Market Forum* It was Old Man Patriarchy all along!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Kin posted:

Thanks again for the help, I've just sent a message to HMRC using the online form. Hopefully it's sorted out soon as I've been chewing through my savings without noticing.

Kinda pissed at my last company for this (as well as myself for not checking sooner).

Is the self-assessment stuff difficult by the way? Since I've registered I've not really been sent much about what to do.

Depends entirely on how complicated your tax affairs are!

You can download a paper form and go through it - there are various add ons depending on if you have a business or foreign income or capital gains etc to give you an idea of whether you can manage it yourself or whether you might be wise to get an accountant involved. You need to be aware of dates following which fines become payable and these vary according to whether you are going to submit a paper form or online.

Start here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/self-assessment-tax-return-sa100

(If you've not done it before, I do recommend you go through a paper one to see what info you need to assemble before you have to do a form paper or online for real).

PS If you were supposed to fill in a form for the year 2021/22 deadlines are fast approaching!

Ed: if you do decide you need an accountant at least for the first year, don't leave it too late as they get EXTREMELY busy in January with an end of Jan deadline.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 6, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kin posted:

If it makes you feel any better I got treated this way and received something like £2500 in tax rebates from HMRC over two years. A pleasant surprise after earning barely enough to scrape by at the previous job.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Self assessment online is dead easy if you're not trying to claim stuff and just want to type earnings into boxes and have it spit out what you owe. It'll save drafts and you can go back and forth before submitting so just open it up and start.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Aha, good to know.

I only did it because I'm earning over £50k and it said I had to do it to claim the child benefits. I don't have any other incomes so I hoped it would be straightforward.

When I used the child benefit calculator it didn't even reduce the amount we should expect, even after sticking in my salary. Di I've no idea why I had to register in the first place.

On a different matter, who the hell can afford a £675k house?

I'm in a newbuild about a 40 minute drive away from the Edinburgh City center and it was £297k about 4 years ago.

The exact same model is in a new estate, maybe a 15 minute drive to the city center and Taylor Wimpey want £675k for it!

Like it's a nice model of house but I wouldn't really say it's worth that much. Even if it was though, what kind of silly salary would you need to pay the mortgage on it?

I'm just a bit dumbstruck that someone is gonna be living in an exact clone of my house but paying more than double for it just because it's a bit closer to the city. It makes me feel like I'm missing a trick with my income or something to consider it wildly unaffordable.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I feel the same way about saving for a deposit while renting alone, it seems practically impossible despite having a similar income.

I think the minimum deposits on a terraced 1 bed in Cambridge like mine have gone up by a multiple of what I could manage to save in a year.

AFAICT the options are basically a) live as cheaply as possible in a shared house for a decade+, b) have a partner with some income as well, c) get money from parents/relatives, d) live with parents/relatives; or some combination thereof. None of which are a realistic option for me in the near-medium term.

I suspect the actual answer is: you're hosed mate, soz.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 7, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously you should figure out how to move your house closer to edinburgh. As you approach the city event horizon the value of the house rises asymptotically and you occupy all parts of the economy at once.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you also have the freehold you may run into the current interpretation of cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos and need a very large digger to help. Or the number of one of Sue-Ellen's contractors in the fifth circle.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is Earth's most foolish country. Why does the poor, the largest class, not simply eat the others?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Largest class but I don't know if we have any individual large enough to eat that big tory.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some mad bastard calculation like
(square footage x distance (meters) from Edinburgh Castle) / srt(number of toilets)x building age = price that becomes infinite when you get to the castle because you'll never own it.

Someone has to be making these prices up somehow.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you loaded the guns with bricks and fired them off the castle you could use the law of the conservation of value to redistribute wealth as it just disperses off the bricks in flight.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Isn't it just as simple as there basically being more very well off people than there are houses, so prices basically go up because thats what people can pay? Increasing houses or making the well off less well off would gently caress that gravy train so they'll fight tooth and nail to not let it happen.

Only reason i own a house is my dad died and the sale split 3 ways with my siblings covered my deposit.

Its poo poo, i feel incredibly privileged, but also its all magical invisible money going into a hole that while I technically own it, I'm entirely sure my heart will explode from a stress induced perforce merge before I ever see anything from it to retire and grow potted plants or whatever old people do when they aren't crippled by debt and health issues.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Not to go all Mumsnet but as the parent of two kids under 3, I really want them to show their working on adult to child ratio rules being 'unnecessary and damaging'.

Look forward to IEA approved childcare centres where a single wage slave is responsible for changing 60 nappies at the same time while the entire building erupts into a brawl over a snatched toy.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mebh posted:

Only reason i own a house is my dad died and the sale split 3 ways with my siblings covered my deposit.

Its poo poo, i feel incredibly privileged, but also its all magical invisible money going into a hole that while I technically own it, I'm entirely sure my heart will explode from a stress induced perforce merge before I ever see anything from it to retire and grow potted plants or whatever old people do when they aren't crippled by debt and health issues.
We have a half mortgage, and the only reason we do is my wife's mum died young after a prolonged battle with cancer, we shared a house with her sister in law for 10 years and the lack of privacy destroyed my mental health, and then there was a global pandemic and the previous occupants couldn't afford the mortgage, so I'm not exactly prepped to say I'm 'lucky' even though I'd be completely hosed if we were trying to rent.

The whole system is absolutely horrible, but ideally I feel like everyone should have a nice little house of their own like this.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Gove is a "unifier" in that he is friends with all the British media establishment.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Convex posted:

Good luck mate. Be honest and make sure you think of at least one good question to ask them before going in. Also, talk a little bit slower than you usually would from the start, it'll give you more time to think and also make you less likely to trip over words and make mistakes.
This advice is laser guided for me, cheers :)

I am extremely horrible at interviews in general, as 'talking positively about myself' and 'remembering good things I've done' are things my brain just does not want to do under pressure. Earlier this year we had to reapply for our own roles as part of a restructure, and despite being extremely well settled in my role the experience was complete hell.

Best of luck to anyone with interviews soon!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i never prepare for interviews just rely on natural charm and charisma
Yeah same

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Not to go all Mumsnet but as the parent of two kids under 3, I really want them to show their working on adult to child ratio rules being 'unnecessary and damaging'.

It is kind of funny, if you can detach yourself long enough to see it, that all of these right-wing "yeah, go Team Economy, woo!" shitheads completely miss the economic arguments for public funding of services.
The reason you fund schools to a decent quality is that you need kids to get a decent education so they can grow up and do the kind of jobs that posh cunts don't want to do. If you half-arse Education, you get young adults who don't have the skills or knowledge to actually help the economy grow. Albeit, you'll always have some posh cunts complaining about kids today not being up to the same standards as they were back in my day.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kegluneq posted:

we had to reapply for our own roles as part of a restructure

This is an immediate sign to find a new job imo. If I'm going to have to go through the stress of a job application it should at least be for something that's better than where I'm at

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jollity Farm posted:

Gove is a "unifier" in that he is friends with all the British media establishment.

Also a link between sea and land as well as different phylums.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Kegluneq posted:

This advice is laser guided for me, cheers :)

If they offer a drink, take it. There is so much benefit to being asked a question while you're taking a sip so that you can start braining out your answer without it looking like a dumb awkward pause

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Also

Kegluneq posted:

'remembering good things I've done' are things my brain just does not want to do under pressure.

It pays to prepare and memorise a crib sheet with common interview questions, here's an example of mine (the blank bits are when i tailor it to a particular application)

(edit: last time i used this was 7 years ago and i never did end up in financial admin)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Brendan Rodgers posted:

They say that everyone has their price, but I respect you having a specific one already planned out.

Just being realistic, i really like where i'm at in life but reality can change overnight. :) :fluffy:

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Kin posted:

In my experience, HMRC are very easy to talk to over the phone. YMMV.

Self-assessment is pretty easy unless you get into the realms of depreciation on equipment and other allowances, at which point you may want to pay a grownup. I did mine every year, never had an issue.

I changed to a Limited Company though, and now have PAYE, VAT and Corporation Tax as *well* as depreciation and more, so we pay an accountant. We still have some SA in the mix as Mrs Dickus rents out her house and I have a small sideline. For us, we have our company income as usual, then HRMC will send us a bill after submitting our SA.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Microplastics posted:

Also

It pays to prepare and memorise a crib sheet with common interview questions, here's an example of mine (the blank bits are when i tailor it to a particular application)

(edit: last time i used this was 7 years ago and i never did end up in financial admin)

idk if i'd be happy putting "i get frustrated with idiots" as an answer to an interview question presumably posed by idiots

the "public speaking and presenting" one is useful, though. you want to pick a weakness that is absolutely nothing to do with your role

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

'restoring the link between tax and household income so a married woman’s income could be seen as part of her husband’s.' Err does that mean she starts getting taxed as if she were on my income? Because that would be bad news, I'm higher rate, she is not.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Kin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some mad bastard calculation like
(square footage x distance (meters) from Edinburgh Castle) / srt(number of toilets)x building age = price that becomes infinite when you get to the castle because you'll never own it.

Unless....:thermidor:

People's Palace, innit. We could put a Soviet in it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

idk if i'd be happy putting "i get frustrated with idiots" as an answer to an interview question presumably posed by idiots

Haha

I know I definitely gave that answer in the interview* for the job I have now**, you just gotta phrase it in the right way, nice and diplomatic, and emphasise that you have improved and are still improving

*it was a help desk job too! So a pertinent question

**I'm no longer on the help desk thank gently caress. I went into project management in the same company. But that interview got me there!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Random tax question. If you have a primary job on PAYE and a secondary job you're submitting tax returns for and getting taxed a higher rate for that, what happens when earnings from the secondary job overtake the primary one?

Does HMRC just tax the primary job more or do you have to let them know to switch it?

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

feedmegin posted:

'restoring the link between tax and household income so a married woman’s income could be seen as part of her husband’s.' Err does that mean she starts getting taxed as if she were on my income? Because that would be bad news, I'm higher rate, she is not.

It means you're "allied" as taxpayers (cough).

It's stuff like this that reveal this crap's total lack of coherence beyond adherence to right wing dogma - "Everyone should be free from tax and regulation to be captains of industry, except women obviously who belong in the home."

Kin posted:

Aha, good to know.
On a different matter, who the hell can afford a £675k house?

I'm in a newbuild about a 40 minute drive away from the Edinburgh City center and it was £297k about 4 years ago.

The exact same model is in a new estate, maybe a 15 minute drive to the city center and Taylor Wimpey want £675k for it!

Like it's a nice model of house but I wouldn't really say it's worth that much. Even if it was though, what kind of silly salary would you need to pay the mortgage on it?

I'm just a bit dumbstruck that someone is gonna be living in an exact clone of my house but paying more than double for it just because it's a bit closer to the city. It makes me feel like I'm missing a trick with my income or something to consider it wildly unaffordable.

We're actually in the process of moving back to near Edinburgh having lived in London for years and think the prices of the new builds are totally crazy. As you say I would pay £300k for one but nearly £700k would just be bananas. Even if someone would give us the cash we would still be scraping coppers together on our deathbeds. There just aren't the jobs to pay for it, even very senior jobs don't pay enough. It's pretty much an inheritance only game at the moment and I think a big "correction" is very likely.

In the end we've gone for a place that needs absolutely everything done to it, are very glad we did, very lucky to have found it, and very privileged to be able to do so at all (someone died).

Zalakwe fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 7, 2022

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Necrothatcher posted:

Random tax question. If you have a primary job on PAYE and a secondary job you're submitting tax returns for and getting taxed a higher rate for that, what happens when earnings from the secondary job overtake the primary one?

Does HMRC just tax the primary job more or do you have to let them know to switch it?

You're taxed on everything you earn just the same. It shouldn't matter which earns more.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

feedmegin posted:

With so many high earning married Tory women they are bound to find some way of making sure only the plebs become chattels of their husbands not themselves.

We're going backwards with women's rights on pay and work.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When did the Guardian turn into a Gove booster? Or is it just a Simon Jenkins thing?

I did appreciate the article though. Needed a good laugh and the article delivered in spades.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/oct/06/tories-liz-truss-michael-gove-election-opposition

The best course left to the Tories is to oust Liz Truss – and install a caretaker leader
Simon Jenkins
Thu 6 Oct 2022 14.03 BST

Brady will say, but who next? The answer should be a leader to restore the party through to the election. He or she should be declared uncontested, as was Theresa May in 2016. This could not be Rishi Sunak, who lost to Truss in the recent leadership election and would anger the membership. Nor could it reasonably be any of the others who also lost. The leader should be presented strictly as a unifier and caretaker.

The obvious candidate is Michael Gove; for all his past infighting, he could be presented as emollient, even detached. He has been a controversial, even mercurial figure. But apart from his turbulent time as minister for education, he has been a moderate and intelligent minister at justice, environment, local government and planning; a rare Tory who thinks more for himself than about himself.

Above all, Gove is not a partisan ranter guaranteed, as Truss is, to alienate the centre ground. He has none of the paranoid need for loyalty that characterise Johnson and Truss. He can perhaps bring back such talent as remains on the backbenches after the bloodletting of the past five years. The party can fight the next election as it should, on the manifesto of 2019, not on the implausible naivety of Truss’s “growth, growth, growth”.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

It means that you can pool your tax allowances, so if she's spending all day at home (because of scrapping free childcare hours and in-school learning) then you can earn more without tax and spend it on drinking after work.

This is because people like the Free Market Forum are functionally incapable of viewing the family (or the church or the corporation, but especially the family) as political power structures in themselves and applying concerns about transparency and tyranny that they do to the state. (This is because it's the democracy and checks and balances bit of the state that's precisely what they hate. They'd be fine with King Bezos I.)

Still, at least strengthening the family by making it less accountable or escapable and rolling back everything else will make sure that 'white working-class boys are better protected' right?

Oh :ohno:

Ideological noncery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Biggus Dickus posted:

You're taxed on everything you earn just the same. It shouldn't matter which earns more.

In theory, but they don't change your tax code automatically. You have to let them know if you don't want to have to wait til the next financial year to get it adjusted.

My situation is a bit different but relates to two tax codes split across two different income sources:

I have a small pension, say £P, and a part-time job with income £12570-P (my total income scrapes along the personal allowance and I just got a small raise that puts it just above that now).

Every year, HMRC allocate tax code for 3P to the pension (which at approx 3% p.a. increase I'd need to be 98 years old to get) and 1257-3P to the job meaning that I am paying tax on the job which I shouldn't be paying for a couple of months each year until they reallocate the PAYE code which they ONLY do after I phone them. And they do this EVERY year so even though it's sorted one year they don't seem able to carry over with a slight increase in the pension bit tax code, but each year whack it right up. Last year it took me 6 months to get it sorted because even though they sent me a change of tax code letter they didn't send it to my employer and then I ended up going round in circles with them to get it redone.

I fill in a SA form. They have the details of my pension, they know how big my pension is, they know it is only P not 3P and that there is no way on planet earth it will have grown by 2P in a year.

On a small income, this deduction of way too much tax from the job bit is quite a hit and thankfully I have savings to smooth my way.