Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

The train goblins had better still be alive and they sure as hell better have little top hats

By Vic3's time period they'll already have settled another planet and migrated there for more space to do Science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox games are always alt-history anyway, especially when it comes to Sweden.

lol

I also look forward a lot to a Divergences Victoria 3. I liked the Vicky 2 mod a lot

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

The train goblins had better still be alive and they sure as hell better have little top hats

I think in the current plan for the vic3 era setup, the train goblins are dead but the allclan is alive and owns at least half of the Eastern serpentspine, so there's a nice dedicated tag for the unmitigated chaos of running a giant underground goblin technocracy.

The train dwarves are pretty successful though. I dunno how Vic 3 handles inland trade routes, so I'm curious what the outcome is if you own the only (underground) land connection between two regions. Realistically, they'd be making a lot of money charging tarrifs and running freight.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I’m excited for this stupid game

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

buglord posted:

I’m excited for this stupid game

i'm trying not to be

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i'm trying not to be

same op

Last time I got really hyped was for Spore and that traumatized me into cultivating a feeling of monastic detachment for cool games so I could never be hurt again

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

buglord posted:

same op

Last time I got really hyped was for Spore and that traumatized me into cultivating a feeling of monastic detachment for cool games so I could never be hurt again

last time for me was imperator

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am excited for this game and even if it sucks I am excited for making fun of it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Hellioning posted:

I am excited for this game and even if it sucks I am excited for making fun of it.

:hai:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember theyt alked about making Lorent the tutorial country with the ghost of Loriel as the tutorial helper.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Torrannor posted:

I'm extremely looking forward to Vic 3 Anbennar. Looking how the world developed since the (re)discovery of Aelantir alone would be worth it to download a Vic 3 Anbennor, not to mention the gameplay of course.

All this Anbennar talk got me curious and had me redownload EU4 to check it out.

Here's the thing: The last DLC I got was Cradle of Civilization and I haven't really played EU4 since about that time.

I was not even remotely prepared to parse all the new or otherwise half-remembered mechanics, let alone trying to figure out what the heck is happening in the mod lore.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
20 days

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Holy poo poo

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I’m worried the game’s going to turn out good, but thanks to word of mouth even people who don’t know anything about it end up parroting nerd outrage about it being dumbed down.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Dayton Sports Bar posted:

I’m worried the game’s going to turn out good, but thanks to word of mouth even people who don’t know anything about it end up parroting nerd outrage about it being dumbed down.

this would be extremely funny, because say what you will about Victoria 2 it turns out to be extremely not complex, with a ton of “obvious and best” decisions instead of, well, decisions

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

this would be extremely funny, because say what you will about Victoria 2 it turns out to be extremely not complex, with a ton of “obvious and best” decisions instead of, well, decisions
But esoteric knowledge is the best kind of complexity! It means I can make numbers go up reliably while laughing at the poor rubes who aren't enlightened though to know the one secret path to success!

Meaningful decisions with well documented consequences listed in in-game tooltips are for casuals.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Eiba posted:

But esoteric knowledge is the best kind of complexity! It means I can make numbers go up reliably while laughing at the poor rubes who aren't enlightened though to know the one secret path to success!

Meaningful decisions with well documented consequences listed in in-game tooltips are for casuals.

hnnngh this is almost a Reddit paradox post

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

my favorite outrage would be if vicky 3 was too hard for reddit gamers and they claimed it was "artifical difficulty" that they cant walk back and forwards into calais and kent to wipe out millions of men

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Broke: Waiting for the Anbennar mod for Victoria 3

Woke: Waiting for the Victoria 3 mod for Imperator Rome

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man if you don’t think there won’t be AI exploits in this game. People are going to find the walking men equivalent in minutes, as they always do

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlestheHammer posted:

Man if you don’t think there won’t be AI exploits in this game. People are going to find the walking men equivalent in minutes, as they always do
I, for one, am looking forward to it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

hnnngh this is almost a Reddit paradox post

Add some racisl slurs and it's basically the /vst/ take on every mainstream strategy game made in the past decade.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Mantis42 posted:

Add some racisl slurs and it's basically the /vst/ take on every mainstream strategy game made in the past decade.

Even more relevant for the RPG genre.

I've seen people often talk how Victoria 2 is actually extremely deep and has this cool systems. I am yet to see someone explain how those cool systems affect your decisions so that you can't turn any country into aa great power with the same very basic strategy.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paradox games are always alt-history anyway, especially when it comes to Sweden.

The most Danish opinion hahaha

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The most Danish opinion hahaha
Sweden's manpower in EU4 is the most disproportionate by far out of all countries in the game. It literally starts off with 60 times as much manpower relative to its historical population as Korea.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

But the achievement says Sweden is not overpowered and Paradox would never lie to me.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Newest Dev Diary on Data Visualization: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-61-data-visualization.1546730/

Alternate title: How I Killed Pie Charts and Why They Had It Coming

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

OPAONI posted:

A War of the Worlds DLC would be rad.
There was a decent WorldWar mod for HoI2 back in the day

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Pie charts are good

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013
For all the "grain tax" memes I swear every screenshot and video I've seen, there's a grain shortage in the market. It's making me itch. Just build more farms, dammit! Having cheap grain seems like national stability 101.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

CrypticTriptych posted:

For all the "grain tax" memes I swear every screenshot and video I've seen, there's a grain shortage in the market. It's making me itch. Just build more farms, dammit! Having cheap grain seems like national stability 101.

When the last bank is destitute, the last share market rock-bottom, the last telephone factory shuttered - only then you will realise that one cannot invest grain

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sweden's manpower in EU4 is the most disproportionate by far out of all countries in the game. It literally starts off with 60 times as much manpower relative to its historical population as Korea.

Probably should've been an AI only bonus, so the dumpy AI can break free from Denmark more often than not.

Doesn't Sweden get even more freebies when they declare for independence now?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Because it's not a sim and its the best Pdox can do to get their game to consistently reproduce the historic outcome without direct player control, to satisfy the player base yelling about "realism". I fully agree with you on that everything about the historical Swedish empire, was improbable, against the odds, inhumane, sacrificial, and time and time again a stupid, irresponsible, gamble at the total mercy of luck.

Any accurate analytical simulation of nation state level warfare in the timeperiod would need several orders of magnitude more interacting factors, a great many factors which could not, and can not, be justifiably quantified and even less now so far removed.
Paradox makes games

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

The Swedish empire was jingoistic. It was aggressive. It was colonial. It was self obsessed. It was evil. It started wars and sacrificed people everywhere in the name of moving land borders under the rule of Swedish despots. It did it against god, justice, statistical probability, and common sense for 200 odd years, and it eventually lost it all. There was nothing to make the rivers of blood worth it. This is what the Swedish empire amounted to. The strangeness is, it did do it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Because it's not a sim and its the best Pdox can do to get their game to consistently reproduce the historic outcome without direct player control, to satisfy the player base yelling about "realism". I fully agree with you on that everything about the historical Swedish empire, was improbable, against the odds, inhumane, sacrificial, and time and time again a stupid, irresponsible, gamble at the total mercy of luck.

Any accurate analytical simulation of nation state level warfare in the timeperiod would need several orders of magnitude more interacting factors, a great many factors which could not, and can not, be justifiably quantified and even less now so far removed.
Paradox makes games

yeah but the real problem is paradox's abstraction of manpower in EU4 is bad and dumb because it mixes a ton of concepts that don't really come together. for example, you can drill an army, and then hit a button to get 20% of your manpower back. like ???

agree it's because it's not a question of realism at all but i just think paradox has lost the thread on what the abstractions are meant to be to engage with

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The Swedish empire was jingoistic. It was aggressive. It was colonial. It was self obsessed. It was evil. It started wars and sacrificed people everywhere in the name of moving land borders under the rule of Swedish despots. It did it against god, justice, statistical probability, and common sense for 200 odd years, and it eventually lost it all. There was nothing to make the rivers of blood worth it. This is what the Swedish empire amounted to. The strangeness is, it did do it.

sweden was never a great power and was a dumb country that sucked, on top of being evil. i think talking about them as beating the odds is some silly nonsense lol

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

sweden was never a great power and was a dumb country that sucked, on top of being evil. i think talking about them as beating the odds is some silly nonsense lol

Maybe you're right. What do you call it?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Maybe you're right. What do you call it?

sweden? cold

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

Pie charts are good

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sw*den should atone for their sins by.not taking half the year off in vacations. It's not fair to gamers.