Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

We all love Coil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

New work fit

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I had a fisher almost exactly like that. It died on me but sounded ok. Ugly as can be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah the sound is ok but not great. I have an all analog Pioneer at home that sounds much better but I don’t want to bring it in to work. So the Fischer it is

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

:frogout:

sporklift posted:

"It's going for $14. Not really going. It's staying for $14" Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yj08kBNqY8

In all my years of buying records I've yet to see a copy of Killer that didn't look like someone kicked it down the road all day. I think it's really cool that he told people where to find the good booth and even left behind poo poo he could have flipped. My favorite part of the video is that the copy of Some Girls that was marked at 100 bucks just had to have the extra 97 cents on it because gently caress it, why not?

For anyone who knows, is it okay to stack multiple stereo components? I vaguely recall that some people did it. I never have. But anyway a guy I know wants me to put his stereo together but he doesn't have a shelving system yet. He's got a receiver, tape deck, CD player, and turntable. Should I just tell him to wait for him to have a proper shelf?

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 3, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

:frogout:

In all my years of buying records I've yet to see a copy of Killer that didn't look like someone kicked it down the road all day. I think it's really cool that he told people where to find the good booth and even left behind poo poo he could have flipped. My favorite part of the video is that the copy of Some Girls that was marked at 100 bucks just had to have the extra 97 cents on it because gently caress it, why not?

For anyone who knows, is it okay to stack multiple stereo components? I vaguely recall that some people did it. I never have. But anyway a guy I know wants me to put his stereo together but he doesn't have a shelving system yet. He's got a receiver, tape deck, CD player, and turntable. Should I just tell him to wait for him to have a proper shelf?

As long as heat isn’t an issue it should be fine. Just watch for ventilation. Some components run hot or already have bad ventilation.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

The only piece that could potentially have issues is the receiver. I avoid blocking the vents on my vintage Pioneer, but for anything 80s and newer, I stack them all together without a care. I think by the 80s they were pretty much expecting people to stack things or stick them in tight cabinets.

And if there's no vents on top, then there's nothing to worry about.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

The only piece that could potentially have issues is the receiver. I avoid blocking the vents on my vintage Pioneer, but for anything 80s and newer, I stack them all together without a care. I think by the 80s they were pretty much expecting people to stack things or stick them in tight cabinets.

And if there's no vents on top, then there's nothing to worry about.

That's pretty much what I figured in regards to the receiver. I was kind of hesitant to stack the stuff. Otherwise I enjoy doing this stuff for people.

And I'm definitely not kinda using it as an excuse to go back to his place or anything.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

That's pretty much what I figured in regards to the receiver. I was kind of hesitant to stack the stuff. Otherwise I enjoy doing this stuff for people.

And I'm definitely not kinda using it as an excuse to go back to his place or anything.

Trying to come up with innuendo that involves crate digging and everything seems way to gross, so just have a good time.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

There have been a few occcasions where I've taken four urethane skateboard wheels, put them on their side at each corner and used that to provide a little additional space between components.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Trying to come up with innuendo that involves crate digging and everything seems way to gross, so just have a good time.

Something something slamming my tape in his deck.

petit choux posted:

There have been a few occcasions where I've taken four urethane skateboard wheels, put them on their side at each corner and used that to provide a little additional space between components.

I have absolutely no idea where I would even get those and I'm assuming they cost more than he's going to want to spend.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 4, 2022

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I had a CD player sitting on two pieces of 1x1 trim sitting on top of my receiver for roughly 10 years with no ill effects. That little bit of extra space seemed to do the job.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Dedicated wall cabinet in the basement here for my stereo system, each bit gets its own shelf. I still leave the doors open when in use for "airflow" but since I replaced the receiver it doesn't seem to matter all that much anymore.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Turning that 33 spindle hole into a 45. :goatsecx:

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

I have absolutely no idea where I would even get those and I'm assuming they cost more than he's going to want to spend.

Your local skateshop, zumiz, amazon...

https://tgmskateboards.com/blank-sk...08aAujfEALw_wcB

These are about $13 shipped and they come in black.

I just sawed off a couple of pieces of wood and stained them black for my turntable risers.

Edit: I think I might have mentioned it a long time ago in the thread but I took pieces of wood from my dad's old hifi cabinet and cut them down/stained them so they have all of the tone from his years of listening. I offered to sell a set for a pretty reasonable price but there were no takers.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 4, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Another option too

https://www.amazon.com/Blank-Skateboard-Cruiser-Wheels-Cosmetic/dp/B0BBWG1N1X/

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm going to need some spacers now I finally have a record cabinet. From my understanding the biggest killer of the M-02 was being put under the C-02

Got the record cabinet a couple days ago off FB marketplace after months of searching. I'll certainly need something bigger in the future but at least it's all not sitting on the floor like it was.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 4, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What on earth are you all thinking not using vibration-dampening crystal core orichalcum spacers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bro if your cables touch anything, and I mean ANYTHING………….

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I keep my cables in new, sealed in the bag condition.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Megabound posted:

I'm going to need some spacers now I finally have a record cabinet. From my understanding the biggest killer of the M-02 was being put under the C-02

Got the record cabinet a couple days ago off FB marketplace after months of searching. I'll certainly need something bigger in the future but at least it's all not sitting on the floor like it was.

what is that rad-rear end whippet/iggy record

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Have you guys seen the new IKEA black sets with a new record player? It's catered to vinyl enthusiasts.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/obegraensad-collection-59278/

quote:

You can enjoy good sound thanks to a high-quality pick-up with a conical diamond stylus tip that is gentle on the record.

Easy to start – you just connect the RCA cable to a speaker with a built-in amplifier and the USB cable to the power outlet via a USB charger. Both cables are included, but USB charger is sold separately.

To prevent accidental damage to the record, the tonearm rest has a safety latch.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

lament.cfg posted:

what is that rad-rear end whippet/iggy record

Shellac - Excellent Italian Greyhound

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Bro if your cables touch anything, and I mean ANYTHING………….

Vinyl thread is cool with touching cables actually

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Have you guys seen the new IKEA black sets with a new record player? It's catered to vinyl enthusiasts.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/obegraensad-collection-59278/

:monocle:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's $179 in US dollars, I'm very tempted. Wonder if you can mount legs to it somehow? The spot where I want to put it has a floor plate power outlet it needs to sit over.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Enos Cabell posted:

It's $179 in US dollars, I'm very tempted. Wonder if you can mount legs to it somehow? The spot where I want to put it has a floor plate power outlet it needs to sit over.

I used these on my kallax. I think they come in other colors.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/capita-leg-white-30263575/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

I’d brace it first

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
I had to put this under my Ikea Besta shelf because it started bowing comically as soon as I put records on it.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/besta-support-leg-gray-50293604/

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I had to put this under my Ikea Besta shelf because it started bowing comically as soon as I put records on it.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/besta-support-leg-gray-50293604/

More like Basta shelf, amirite

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

oof, yeah this would be real nice. I'd still need two tall kallax's on the side, but would give me more of a variety of wall space to work with besides the giant mountain of a 5x5 that I have now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Megabound posted:

Heh, spacers.

Because it looks like a UFO.

BigFactory posted:

Vinyl thread is cool with touching cables actually

:sickos:

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

petit choux posted:

More like Basta shelf, amirite

That was a different time, man……..

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New pick-ups this week, including a fitting record for the UFO

Megabound fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 7, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Megabound posted:

New pick-ups this week, including a fitting record for the spaceship

I have the Jeff Wayne album and the ulladubula remix, both on CD. Still love the first tune so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4UdN3NhJVI

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Love that Denzel Curry album. If you didn’t know, he just re-released it with a live a band!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

petit choux posted:

I have the Jeff Wayne album and the ulladubula remix, both on CD. Still love the first tune so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4UdN3NhJVI

It's so good, got to introduce it to my wife last night. Was a great time.

Game-Blouses posted:

Love that Denzel Curry album. If you didn’t know, he just re-released it with a live a band!

Yeah I saw that recently and really enjoyed it. His tiny desk was great and it got that feeling really well. Now I just wish Freddie Gibbs would do Bandana like he did his tiny desk cause that poo poo ruled.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Megabound posted:

It's so good, got to introduce it to my wife last night. Was a great time.

:hfive:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I also introduced that guys wife to it last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is my all-time favorite album and tomorrow I should be receiving the 11 LP super deluxe edition box set so I'm pretty excited about that