Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Nothing worse than ripping a good throw and the flight looks perfect only for it to make contact with the smallest obstacle in the fairway and go way wide. I had maybe 3 of those tonight, one on an ace run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I played my closest local course for the first time in months, now that its park isn't full of summer campers. I threw a personal best (+1 on 9 holes, short but wooded course), but it didn't feel like a personal best as I was playing it. I also had a recent personal best at my local full sized course, +7 on 18 holes at the shortest of the four tee pad/basket combo options. So I know I'm improving. But it doesn't feel like it.

My approach game and my putting have improved, and that helped a lot. But my distance form just feels all off. I've been watching Overthrow tutorials on Youtube, and I even had an in person lesson a couple months ago, but I'm still stuck at around 200'-225', and when I throw I can tell it isn't right. I'm sure I just need to work on it more, do some field work, take videos of myself, but it's just a weird place to be mentally. Anyone else been here?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yep. Been there nearly every year after wanting to push my distance or consistency. For driving, filming myself has been the best thing for getting a look at what you’re doing, obviously. I did a session at 120fps and that really helps when I’m scrubbing through video to get the fine details of motion.

For putting… lol I have no idea. My C1X % has been the lowest out of every year I’ve played. I’m hitting GIR much more but the scores don’t quite reflect because I can’t putt. Really need to find a new stroke and hone in on the mechanics.

Also throwing putters for distance was a big help for my mid range game since putters really exemplify the angles you throw.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Muir posted:

I've been watching Overthrow tutorials on Youtube, and I even had an in person lesson a couple months ago, but I'm still stuck at around 200'-225', and when I throw I can tell it isn't right. I'm sure I just need to work on it more, do some field work, take videos of myself, but it's just a weird place to be mentally. Anyone else been here?

I’m just past where you are at. Totally get it. I drilled the the Overthrow twirly bird vid from a stand still to convince my body and mind that smooth and loose is the way, and that tightness and gritty effort kill distance. It’s kinda stupid how far you start to slang em from a stand still with just that twirly bird drill/movement.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I’m just past where you are at. Totally get it. I drilled the the Overthrow twirly bird vid from a stand still to convince my body and mind that smooth and loose is the way, and that tightness and gritty effort kill distance. It’s kinda stupid how far you start to slang em from a stand still with just that twirly bird drill/movement.

That's super encouraging! I've been working on the box drill and twirly bird is next but I haven't worked it yet. I'm watching Worlds coverage and Garrett Gurthie definitely looks smooth and loose on his throws. It's a good reminder.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah I think 225 is a hurdle you can pass by just making sure the disc goes within an inch of both nipples. Oh and walk up slow and then strike like a ninja. Those were the 2 things that got me going. Basically twirly bird stuff.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I've been practicing left-handed for 8 weeks, 5 days a week or so, 40 minutes a session. First throws were 20-25' and absolutely hilarious, now I'm throwing 300+ with leopards and valkyries, endzone to endzone at the local football field.

Obviously that is only possible because I already knew how to throw right handed... but I learned a lot going through the process and for me I had to learn two concepts and intersect them:

1) The disc has to stay on the line. If it moves off the line the throw is going to be bad. This is easy to say and explain, but almost impossible to actually do. It's so difficult. Even now I'm fighting against this with both hands, but its getting better and better. I found that unless I use a video review I can't tell if I'm doing it or not. There is a clip of me from the start of the summer earlier in the thread pulling a disc way off the line, and to me it felt like a straight pull. Its crazy how drastically off-line your pull can be and your brain believes its straight.

2) You have to be able to throw anhyzers in order to get the disc to go flat and straight. This was SO difficult lefty, and still is. I finally setup a practice shot where the only way to get to the basket was to throw a big forced anhyzer and drilled that for a 1000 shots, literally, over 2 weeks. Once I could force an anhyzer over I had snap, and when I put the snap on the line I hit 300' the next time I went out.

I think everything I worked on is a sub category of these two concepts. Easy to explain, but tough to drill down into and execute correctly.

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008

cage-free egghead posted:

Also throwing putters for distance was a big help for my mid range game since putters really exemplify the angles you throw.

Sometimes putters can be too forgiving though. As they handle being thrown nose-up a lot better than mids and drivers they will mask that particular issue, if that's something you're having trouble with.

I like to throw understable to neutral mids (Svea and Göte specifically) to see what I need to focus on. If I throw them with 230'-250' amount of power and I'm having trouble with off-axis torque for example, the disc will wobble like crazy on release and turn straight over to the right and into the ground. I like that they tell me very clearly that something's off.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
My friend grip locked a throw and hit a black ace. Absolute laser straight towards it. It was amazing.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

My friend grip locked a throw and hit a black ace. Absolute laser straight towards it. It was amazing.

:hellyeah:

Must've been an awesome sight.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Can anyone recommend me a starting yoga regimen? I’m losing power on my rotations because my muscles are as stiff as the bones they connect.

Gaston Bachelard
Mar 26, 2009

When the image is new, the world is new.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Can anyone recommend me a starting yoga regimen? I’m losing power on my rotations because my muscles are as stiff as the bones they connect.

I'd pick a playlist from Yoga With Adriene's youtube channel. Totally free and very pleasant!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG38sH8fwSM

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dr Intergalactic posted:

PSA FOR ULTIMATE CONVERTS - You will have to relearn all your mechanics. Sorry, it sucks. A lot.

Resurrecting this from page 1 because I just found out how true it is.

Friends have been playing alot so I got a basic pair of discs. Went to a field and threw for 20 minutes just to see how different it is and gently caress this is going to take some practice.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Friends have been playing alot so I got a basic pair of discs. Went to a field and threw for 20 minutes just to see how different it is and gently caress this is going to take some practice.

It's worth it, I've been having loads of fun getting back into the sport this year. You can take a solid pair of disc far. Learning how to manipulate the flight of a neutral mid range and a putter will take you far in the game.
I've played most of my rounds in life mostly with just a Buzzz n' Swan.

Don't forget sometimes the trees just want to play catch too.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Speaking of playing catch, how can I get my dang hands on a Glitch?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

The stores offering pre-orders say they're expected mid-October. You could also take a look at the Latitude 64 Bite.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I picked disc golf back up a little over a year ago and it was only like 4ish months ago that I finally fixed my lovely ultimate backhand form, lol

Being a forehand strength player and only using my backhands for dumps didn't do me any par favours :negative:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Muir posted:

The stores offering pre-orders say they're expected mid-October. You could also take a look at the Latitude 64 Bite.

Oh this is awesome, thank you!

I didn't come from any background and my forehands are dogshit. I guess with less than a year playing I should just work on developing my backhand, but it would be nice to have a hundred foot flick to get out of trouble as a lefty.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I have a buddy who played national-level Ultimate Frisbee for many years. He still drives like it, throwing from low to high. It's pretty cool to watch actually. He did not have a weird transition period, so it's not always true in terms of form change. THAT SAID, he is a natural super athlete who takes to anything physical he pleases.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I have a buddy who played national-level Ultimate Frisbee for many years. He still drives like it, throwing from low to high. It's pretty cool to watch actually. He did not have a weird transition period, so it's not always true in terms of form change. THAT SAID, he is a natural super athlete who takes to anything physical he pleases.

I was never that good, and I doubt I'll ever go back to full field ultimate cause of knees, so I'll probably go the break-it-down-and-build-up route. At least putting seems to translate over pretty well.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Mcqueen posted:

Oh this is awesome, thank you!

I didn't come from any background and my forehands are dogshit. I guess with less than a year playing I should just work on developing my backhand, but it would be nice to have a hundred foot flick to get out of trouble as a lefty.

My go-to for a get out of trouble weak-rear end forehand is a really understable midrange, like an MVP Uplink. I find I want a shallower disc for forehand, and most MVP/Axiom stuff is pretty shallow. The Bite is deeper.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just signed up for an MVP Space Ace Race with my buddy! A glow hex and glow pilot are included in the player pack (they’re the only discs you’re allowed to use). Can’t wait!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

Just signed up for an MVP Space Ace Race with my buddy! A glow hex and glow pilot are included in the player pack (they’re the only discs you’re allowed to use). Can’t wait!

That's a sweet set of discs. Hope you rock at least one ace!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
There’s one in my area too. I haven’t done one since like 2016.

Also played a tournament this weekend during an absolute downpour. Played conservatively and tried to minimize mistakes, was pretty happy with shooting almost 10 over but that would have put me tied for 3rd in Open (I play INT). Shot a 950 rated round which is by far my best round ever.

Then fatigue set in and I got nervous and I ended up 3rd in my division. Still won $75 in funny money!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I was never that good, and I doubt I'll ever go back to full field ultimate cause of knees, so I'll probably go the break-it-down-and-build-up route. At least putting seems to translate over pretty well.

I’m just throwin out anecdotes cause it’s interesting to compare disc sports. I should have included one of his team mates who while also incredible, couldn’t overcome the ultimate muscle memory and hates disc golf.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
DC is getting a new park on Friday in the Ashburn area, kinda west of IAD airport. Apparently it was designed by a company associated with Chris Dickerson. Super pumped to check it out, I'll be there monday throwing stuff.

https://www.loudoun.gov/2652/Hal-Berni-Hanson-Regional-Park

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 21, 2022

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I spent a whole year throwing the disc way too hard on drives. Slower controlled power is better than throwing it as hard as you think you need to. At least that was my experience.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

https://udisc.com/courses/art-prize-2022-john-ball-zoo-U7Lz

Fun putter course they put in for a few weeks as part of a city wide art festival in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Such a neat concept.

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Mcqueen posted:

Looks like Glitches got released at midnight eastern, along with new Fission Hex stamped for MVP Open 2022, and Halloween Eclipse Resistor.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dead Nerve posted:

Looks like Glitches got released at midnight eastern, along with new Fission Hex stamped for MVP Open 2022, and Halloween Eclipse Resistor.

Makes sense. Just saw a bunch on Reddit.

Good call on the forehand thin disc, started using a Crave for most forehands and it’s too stable but it works. Actually, a Crave, Virus, Mako and Fierce are about all I use and it makes me feel dumb caring a large bag….

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

Mcqueen posted:

...it makes me feel dumb caring a large bag….

I had this realisation after beating my personal best score at my local course with a few strokes on a one-disc round. I sold off my larger bag, and now carry a Grip G-series shoulder-bag with the essentials only. I don't play that often, so I never get around to learning a lot of discs anyway.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Just got a Par Plastics mystery box. Awesome purchase. They shipped me a Berg, Falk, Buzzz ESP GT, CryZtal Zone, Ethereal Nebula Omen, and a Jackalope. The Discrafts were Ledgestone from this year too, and have super cool stamps. If you are wanting to get some random discs, I highly recommend Par Plastics. I gave them parameters (orange discs, nothing above a 9 speed, and a request for whoever was picking to put one of their favorite discs in as well) and am very pleased with what I got. I’m gonna hit the links after work today!

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!
I have nothing to add other than

BERG SUPREMACY!

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dr Intergalactic posted:

I have nothing to add other than

BERG SUPREMACY!

:hmmyes:

It feels so much like an ultimate disc to me. I initially purchased it cause of the novelty but I probably use it every other hole now.

So I snuck away from work early yesterday to get a quick round in, short tees to short baskets at my home course. Played pretty decently until I get to hole 18, which is down a huge hill. The short tee pad is up to the right if you're at the red basket, it's a bit of a tricky line where you can't see the basket from the pad.

As I'm on the pad choosing a disc, a giant hawk swoops up the hill and posts up in a tree maybe 20 feet from me:

Tight, what's up bird. This motherfucker just starts STARING ME DOWN, line doesn't look away. Cool, I've got an audience, so I huck a pretty hyzer backhand down the hill.

I fuckin PARKED THIS FUCKER WITH A HAWK AS MY AUDIENCE. Easily the best throw I've had on this hole after playing it for almost 1.5 years.

I think I've gotta quit playing, that's just like a career high I think.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Insert distracted boyfriend meme with berg / glitch

Dead Nerve
Mar 27, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

It feels so much like an ultimate disc to me. I initially purchased it cause of the novelty but I probably use it every other hole now.

So I snuck away from work early yesterday to get a quick round in, short tees to short baskets at my home course. Played pretty decently until I get to hole 18, which is down a huge hill. The short tee pad is up to the right if you're at the red basket, it's a bit of a tricky line where you can't see the basket from the pad.

As I'm on the pad choosing a disc, a giant hawk swoops up the hill and posts up in a tree maybe 20 feet from me:

Tight, what's up bird. This motherfucker just starts STARING ME DOWN, line doesn't look away. Cool, I've got an audience, so I huck a pretty hyzer backhand down the hill.

I fuckin PARKED THIS FUCKER WITH A HAWK AS MY AUDIENCE. Easily the best throw I've had on this hole after playing it for almost 1.5 years.

I think I've gotta quit playing, that's just like a career high I think.

Moments with nature and then throwing a disc just perfectly is what it's all about. I bet that hawk enjoyed seeing your disc fly too.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Dead Nerve posted:

Moments with nature and then throwing a disc just perfectly is what it's all about. I bet that hawk enjoyed seeing your disc fly too.

I have had a big redtail hawk dive to get my disc after a drive. Luckily he balked at the last second and didn't fly away with it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Check this guy out 100 years old and playing 54 holes in a day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZaOSeLMZw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I've never played, but I'm looking to start. After doing some minor research it appears that the starter sets offered by the big manufacturers seem to be a great value. However I was reading in some places to largely avoid base plastic discs as they fly worse? I see that starter sets with a more premium plastic are available. Would going the premium route allow me to 'grow into' thos discs? Is that preferable? Does it even matter as a complete novice? I don't mind paying a little extra for a 'nicer/better' set of discs. Any advice is welcome.