Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

Are the people who didn't know "cat" means person not American because that's the only way I can imagine that being confusing.

i've only heard it in the used as old fashioned slang .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Congress got attacked at a ball game (aside from the bodies of how many kids since poo poo I forgot the one where all the Kinder kids died Jesus Christ was it Sandy HOok?) and no one did poo poo so the will have to be something that really affects the ruling class to even begin to tilt things away from Fully Automated Mandated Carry USA.

Sandy Hook was the 2012 tragedy that is currently making Alex Jones eat poo poo in court. Sadly it's not the most recent, that would be Uvalde in Texas.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hannity was back on a Buttery Emails segment today that I heard about 15 seconds of and is worried that the statute of limitations is going to run out while we focus so much attention whether Trump "may or not have had classified documents at Mar A Lago" so I tried again to get on air. I was gonna ask him if he thought we should waterboard her and see of he picked up on my snark but I can never get through.

I guess the gist of it is that we totes have all this for real evidence that that DoJ is willfully ignoring to run out the clock to focus on Trump and also, of course, "James Comey" something something. I seem to remember Hillary testifying for 8 hours in front of COngress so maybe we should give equal time. TBH, I might actually listen to that loving show if he ever took calls from "the other side" who could really go toe to toe with him.

Makes me wish for the old days of SA. We could goon rush his radio show, lie to the call screener and see how many "when is your waterboarding scheduled so we can show these libs?" questions we could get through the censors. Stern listeners used to do poo poo like this on occasion. It'd be funny just to see how many consecutive calls we could get him to drop before he stopped going to the phones and claim "technical difficulties" or that the Soros Antifa Brigade is paying BLM activists to phone in death threats

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

In the wise words of one Gambino, this is America. Only takes one radicalized rear end in a top hat with an AR15 in the entire country to hear that final message from Donnie about the elections being stolen and then they'll mow down an entire line of people outside a polling station before they even know they're being killed.

Just one.

Statistically speaking, they have to be a chud who is both suicidal and who feels rage they want to direct outward. 30% of America is chuds. The number of hopeless, miserable, angry people is probably similar. People who direct their anger outward seem a little rarer.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Makes me wish for the old days of SA. We could goon rush his radio show, lie to the call screener and see how many "when is your waterboarding scheduled so we can show these libs?" questions we could get through the censors. Stern listeners used to do poo poo like this on occasion. It'd be funny just to see how many consecutive calls we could get him to drop before he stopped going to the phones and claim "technical difficulties" or that the Soros Antifa Brigade is paying BLM activists to phone in death threats

Wasn't that Hannity?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

Congress got attacked at a ball game (aside from the bodies of how many kids since poo poo I forgot the one where all the Kinder kids died Jesus Christ was it Sandy HOok?) and no one did poo poo so the will have to be something that really affects the ruling class to even begin to tilt things away from Fully Automated Mandated Carry USA.

Steve Scalise literally had his dick and balls blown off by an assault rifle at that baseball game and a couple years later, he was trying to shimmie around the metal detectors they installed in the US Capitol building after January 6th because he'd rather pay $50k in fines a day than NOT walk out onto the House floor with his trusty hand gun.

There is no more healthy tissue to rot anymore, it's all just rot.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Levantine posted:

I hope this is taken seriously but I have like, no faith in any of our intuitions anymore.
Yeah, I honestly can't see many people rising up to save what we got now when the gloves come off. Sadly I think this indifference is going to let the right further consolidate power into a one party state and what we have now will look quaint by comparison. There isn't a single person in power to the left of the Republicans that inspires or offers any kind of alternative to what we have now. It's just blind faith in The Market as The Market jacks up your basic life necessities and throws you out on the street, then you get all that's left of your poo poo burned by the cops while chuds and liberals jeer at you that you as it's livestreamed. In the olden days you could run off to the woods, but now that poo poo is on fire because of climate change.

I can only imagine what it was like in the 1930s while the Depression was going on and fascists were seizing power globally. In a way we're reliving that right now albeit with modern conveyances like the internet. It Can't Happen Here was written in 1935 (Business Plot was in 1933) and the following scene really stood out to me.

Sinclair Lewis posted:

Doremus found it more cramping, more instantly stirring to fury, to write anything mentioning [Buzz] Windrip. His private office— the cheerfully rattling linotype room—the shouting pressroom with its smell of ink that to him hitherto had been like the smell of grease paint to an actor—they were hateful now, and choking. Not even Lorinda's faith, not even Sissy's jibes and Buck's stories, could rouse him to hope.

He rejoiced the more, therefore, when his son Philip telephoned him from Worcester: "Be home Sunday? Merilla's in New York, gadding, and I'm all alone here. Thought I'd just drive up for the day and see how things are in your neck of the woods."

"Come on! Splendid! So long since we've seen you. I'll have your mother start a pot of beans right away!"
They sat upstairs in the sacred study. Philip lighted one of Doremus's excellent cigars as though he were a cinema actor playing the role of a man lighting an excellent cigar, and breathed amiably:

"Well, sir, this is an excellent cigar! It certainly is excellent!"
"Well then? Let's have it, Phil. Something serious?"

"Ye-es, I'm afraid there is. Look, Dad.... Oh, do sit down and be comfortable!... I've been awfully perturbed to hear that you've, uh, that you're in slightly bad odor with some of the authorities."

"You mean the Corpos?"

"Naturally! Who else?"

"Maybe I don't recognize 'em as authorities."
"Well, I've been—I didn't vote for Windrip, personally, but I begin to see where I was wrong. I can see now that he has not only great personal magnetism, but real constructive power—real sure-enough statesmanship. Some say it's Lee Sarason's doing, but don't you believe it for a minute. Look at all Buzz did back in his home state, before he ever teamed up with Sarason! And some say Windrip is crude. Well, so were Lincoln and Jackson. Now what I think of Windrip—"

"The only thing you ought to think of Windrip is that his gangsters murdered your fine brother-in-law! And plenty of other men just as good. Do you condone such murders?"

"No! Certainly not! How can you suggest such a thing, Dad! No one abhors violence more than I do. Still, you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs—"

"Hell and damnation!"

"Why, Pater!"

"Don't call me 'Pater'! If I ever hear that 'can't make an omelet' phrase again, I'll start doing a little murder myself! It's used to justify every atrocity under every despotism, Fascist or Nazi or Communist or American labor war. Omelet! Eggs! By God, sir, men's souls and blood are not eggshells for tyrants to break!"

"I want to make myself clear. Before Windrip, we'd been lying down in America, while Europe was throwing off all her bonds—both monarchy and this antiquated parliamentary-democratic-liberal system that really means rule by professional politicians and by egotistic 'intellectuals.' We've got to catch up to Europe again— got to expand—it's the rule of life. A nation, like a man, has to go ahead or go backward. Always!"

"I know, Phil. I used to write that same thing in those same words, back before 1914!"

"Did you? Well, anyway—Got to expand! Why, what we ought to do is to grab all of Mexico, and maybe Central America, and a good big slice of China. Why, just on their own behalf we ought to do it, misgoverned the way they are! Maybe I'm wrong but—"

"Impossible!"

"—Windrip and Sarason and Dewey Haik and Macgoblin, all those fellows, they're big—they're making me stop and think! And now to come down to my errand here—"

"You think I ought to run the Informer according to Corpo theology!"

"Why—why yes! That was approximately what I was going to say. (I just don't see why you haven't been more reasonable about this whole thing—you with your quick mind!) After all, the time for selfish individualism is gone. We've got to have mass action. One for all and all for one—"

"Philip, would you mind telling me what the deuce you're really heading toward? Cut the cackle!"

"Well, since you insist—to 'cut the cackle,' as you call it—not very politely, seems to me, seeing I've taken the trouble to come clear up from Worcester!—I have reliable information that you're going to get into mighty serious trouble if you don't stop opposing—or at least markedly failing to support—the government."

"All right. What of it? It's my serious trouble!"

"That's just the point! It isn't! I do think that just for once in your life you might think of Mother and the girls, instead of always of your own selfish 'ideas' that you're so proud of! In a crisis like this, it just isn't funny any longer to pose as a quaint 'liberal.'"

Doremus's voice was like a firecracker. "Cut the cackle, I told you! What you after? What's the Corpo gang to you?"

"I have been approached in regard to the very high honor of an assistant military judgeship, but your attitude, as my father—"

"Philip, I think, I rather think, that I give you my parental curse not so much because you are a traitor as because you have become a stuffed shirt! Good-night."
http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0301001h.html#ch24

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Wasn't that Hannity?

Wasn't what Hannity? I was referring to how Sean volunteered to be water boarded and never did it and how I wish he'd get asked about it every day

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"Hannity" was literally the first word in the post they quoted the last paragraph of. Must have gotten lost along the way.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I think they were confused by the capitalisation of Stern

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't what Hannity? I was referring to how Sean volunteered to be water boarded and never did it and how I wish he'd get asked about it every day

Sorry, for the life of me I could have sworn you were posting about Tucker originally.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 7, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Sorry, for the life of me I could have sworn you were posting about Tucker originally.

They have kinda blurred together into a quantum being. Only real difference is that Hannity is more on the Classic Trump train while Tucker pushes the far-right envelope.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
And to be fair, both are in severe need of a waterboarding.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Steve Scalise literally had his dick and balls blown off by an assault rifle at that baseball game and a couple years later, he was trying to shimmie around the metal detectors they installed in the US Capitol building after January 6th because he'd rather pay $50k in fines a day than NOT walk out onto the House floor with his trusty hand gun.

There is no more healthy tissue to rot anymore, it's all just rot.

the man nearly lost his life in a shooting, I think it's entirely reasonable for him to have the means to defend himself. After Jan 6th, even moreso.

Do you complain when police officers carry service weapons? What about soldiers?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Angry_Ed posted:

And to be fair, both are in severe need of a waterboarding.

could we not advocate for torture of the 'other' in this thread, please? They might hold different opinions from you, but I assure you, they are still human and they do not deserve to be tortured.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

kik2dagroin posted:

I can only imagine what it was like in the 1930s while the Depression was going on and fascists were seizing power globally. In a way we're reliving that right now albeit with modern conveyances like the internet. It Can't Happen Here was written in 1935 (Business Plot was in 1933) and the following scene really stood out to me.

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks03/0301001h.html#ch24

The playbook hasn't changed for a century. You'd think we would have quashed it by now, but money, power and the fools who'd kill for it are stubborn.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

the man nearly lost his life in a shooting, I think it's entirely reasonable for him to have the means to defend himself. After Jan 6th, even moreso.

Do you complain when police officers carry service weapons? What about soldiers?

The solution to "I got shot" isn't "I get to carry a gun wherever I want because I'm special".

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

could we not advocate for torture of the 'other' in this thread, please? They might hold different opinions from you, but I assure you, they are still human and they do not deserve to be tortured.

With Hannity he very publicly claimed that waterboarding wasn't torture and volunteered to go through it to prove a point. We just want him to stand by his words.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

With Hannity he very publicly claimed that waterboarding wasn't torture and volunteered to go through it to prove a point. We just want him to stand by his words.

I wonder if he was totally going to do it but then saw Hitchens having to eat poo poo over it and pussied out.

Because I assume he pussied out before that.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

I wonder if he was totally going to do it but then saw Hitchens having to eat poo poo over it and pussied out.

Because I assume he pussied out before that.

Also was Mancow before or after Hitchens?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angry_Ed posted:

Also was Mancow before or after Hitchens?

Seems to be a year after Hitchens' 2008 article admitting he was wrong, which apparently was based on him recording the waterboarding video in 2007.

So kudos to Mancow for at least having had a year to read the Hitchens piece and go ahead with it anyway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Yeah, torture is bad and torture should be outlawed. He specifically tried to side step all of that by saying water boarding isn't torture and it's not that bad and he'd let it be done to him. So he can just get not-tortured like he said he would. I'd enjoy that happening to a human poo poo stain like he deserves.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Extremely funny that you think "oh so cops shouldn't all be walking around with guns!!?" is a gotcha

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Cops shouldn't be walking around with guns.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
cops shouldn't be

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If any population has proven they can safely handle carrying guns constantly, it’s cops.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
But how will the police murder 15 year old unarmed kidnapping victims if you take away their guns?!

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

B+ troll attempt -- you might have gotten more traction if you'd phrased it more of a "well my opinion is X" rather than "X. Gotcha!"

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

OgNar posted:

Also...

https://twitter.com/NBCDFW/status/1573416170136518657

"Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani skipped out on a court hearing in Manhattan Friday where a judge ordered the 78-year-old to pay his ex-wife over $225,000 as part of a divorce settlement, or he could wind up in jail.
Judge Michael Katz said Giuliani is in contempt of court and has until next month to make the payment, including $10,000 in attorney fees, as first reported by the NY Post. If Giuliani doesn't pay by Oct. 7, he could be arrested."

"“I do owe her money but I don’t owe her $260,000,” Giuliani, a legal adviser to former President Donald Trump, told the judge in state court."

"Rudy and Judith Giuliani were married for 15 years. Giuliani was previously married for 20 years to Donna Hanover, the mother of his two children. Before that, he was married for 14 years to his second cousin, Regina Peruggi. That marriage was annulled."

So it's been two weeks, any news?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Today is his final day to pay up. According to the New York Post, he failed to turn up today, and the judge is not happy:

quote:

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Michael Katz reminded Giuliani that he issued a civil order of contempt against him at the September hearing, when he also ordered Giuliani arrested if he didn’t fork over $235,000 by Friday.

“A sheriff is on notice to come at a moment’s notice today” to arrest Giuliani, Katz warned. “This is a very serious matter.”

Full 'story' https://nypost.com/2022/10/07/judge-chides-apologetic-rudy-giuliani-for-missing-court-date/

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Tesseraction posted:

Today is his final day to pay up. According to the New York Post, he failed to turn up today, and the judge is not happy:

Full 'story' https://nypost.com/2022/10/07/judge-chides-apologetic-rudy-giuliani-for-missing-court-date/

No, he did turn up today (hence, apologetic Rudy Giuliani for missing court date), and handed over checks that he says show he has paid. The lawyers are going to review the checks and then they'll argue later about how much he owes.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Solkanar512 posted:

Maybe end of the day?
There is a NYPost article that says near nothing
Hmm, it is getting to be end of the day on east coast

https://twitter.com/duty2warn/status/1578440493460992000

e: fb

Devor posted:

No, he did turn up today (hence, apologetic Rudy Giuliani for missing court date), and handed over checks that he says show he has paid. The lawyers are going to review the checks and then they'll argue later about how much he owes.

Yeah but he's paid like $20k and thinks he has overpaid

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Post was not directed at me but I'm not advocating for poo poo. Hannity volunteered to be waterboarded way back when HE was advocating for torture and claiming it was no big deal and certainly not a war crime so I just want him to keep his word.

Hunt11 posted:

This.

To be clear, I am 100% against torture bit when some blowhard rear end in a top hat runs his mouth against people like me who hold this opinion and offers to do it in order to prove a right wing talking point, then let's just see how that goes. I can promise you that any experiment conducted in this way with Sean in a controlled environment that guaranteed his safety would pale in comparison to what we did to people. Tired of these "hoo-rah USA USA" motherfuckers shooting off their mouths about how heroic and virtuous war is from behind a desk while degrading the service of people like John Kerry and pretending they know the first thing about it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjzdUE6G-MM

Clips of Hannity saying he agrees with torture and he would happily be waterboarded.
And drat I miss old Olbermann.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Conceivably he could use the successful "I am a clown and only an idiot would take me seriously" defense.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjzdUE6G-MM

Clips of Hannity saying he agrees with torture and he would happily be waterboarded.
And drat I miss old Olbermann.

Countdown was a really good show back in the day, but he went weird shitlib after Trump, didn't he?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neito posted:

Countdown was a really good show back in the day, but he went weird shitlib after Trump, didn't he?

I liked him way back as one of the few voices calling out GWB and the Iraq war early on but he kind of became a charicature of himself after a while and supposedly he's also a tremendous rear end in a top hat. I don't care for left wing mouth pieces in the tradition and framework of what RWM does and I don't think that the left in general has that level of hero worship the way the right does with Rush, Sean, Tucker, Alex Jones, etc.

Like, I don't know too many liberal minded people that cling to Michael Moore, Maher, Maddow, Obermann, Randy Rhodes, etc. and I think that's borne out by the perpetual failure of attempts at left wing talk radio. I'm not sure why that is but none of the left leaning big names are the sacred cows that the right wing projects and tries to make them out to be,

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy

BiggerBoat posted:

Like, I don't know too many liberal minded people that cling to Michael Moore, Maher, Maddow, Obermann, Randy Rhodes, etc. and I think that's borne out by the perpetual failure of attempts at left wing talk radio. I'm not sure why that is but none of the left leaning big names are the sacred cows that the right wing projects and tries to make them out to be,

I know these people exist in a smaller capacity than on the conservative side, but have never come across one IRL either. I think this is probably because conservatism values public displays of allegiance more.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

BiggerBoat posted:

I liked him way back as one of the few voices calling out GWB and the Iraq war early on but he kind of became a charicature of himself after a while and supposedly he's also a tremendous rear end in a top hat. I don't care for left wing mouth pieces in the tradition and framework of what RWM does and I don't think that the left in general has that level of hero worship the way the right does with Rush, Sean, Tucker, Alex Jones, etc.

I'm forever amused by right-wing threats of "cancelling" Bill Maher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

wolfman101 posted:

I know these people exist in a smaller capacity than on the conservative side, but have never come across one IRL either. I think this is probably because conservatism values public displays of allegiance more.

mojo1701a posted:

I'm forever amused by right-wing threats of "cancelling" Bill Maher.

I guess for a hot minute, maybe Michael Moore was the closest comparison I can think of but I'm really hard pressed to think of a media or cultural figure "on the left" that can rival the weird cult like following that so many of the people we discuss in this thread seem to have and the politicians they peddle. I enjoy some of the "liberal shows" and podcasts from time to time and have enjoyed movies and books from Moore and Franken here and there but I don't sit in my cubicle all day and listen to it or wish I could find a radio station in my car that gives my daily dose of telling what to think and why conservatives and Republicans are assholes.

RWM thinkers, by and large, seem to be under the assumption that I inject CNN reporting into my veins every day and get fired up before work listening to whatever NPR has to say before I go deposit my Soros Checks. They also seem to assume that I think people like Biden, the Clintons and Obama are far left radicals and always seem to be shocked when I express luke warm enthusiasm for them.

Because it's never for the reasons they think.

I probably couldn't tell you the first loving thing about George Soros beyond him being a rich, Jewish holocaust survivor who sometimes donates money to left wing causes but talk radio listeners seem to think I've erected a shrine to him in my bedroom and that everyone like me dons Antifa masks in my spare time to go out and hate america while I disrupt protests under cover. Meanwhile, they've managed to conflate the embodiment of whatever it is Trump represents into the teachings of the bible and somehow think he was sent here by Christ.

I mean...that stuff is in there, sure, but not in the ways they seem to think. Maybe I didn't read a different book but, to the extent I understand it, I've come away with a far different takeaway about modern republicans' role in the whole thing and, were I believer (I'm not), would see people like DJT through a far different lens.

E

Also, it's been mentioned before, but Bill Maher was already "cancelled" once. For having the temerity to call the 9/11 attackers "brave". Or at least refusing to call them cowards.

I don't know why my right wing colleagues automatically assume I like him or that he's any kind of representation of far left views. I imagine it's something as simple as him being an atheist, pro weed and anti war for the most part and that their tendency to project means that I automatically find him a heroic beacon of truth. I mean...am I supposed to get along with every atheist, bisexual male, democrat voter I meet and think exactly like they do by virtue of being all three of those things? Cause if so I have some work to do.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 8, 2022