Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Traffic is about to be so hosed around Atlanta from some construction on 285 that people might actually start begging for more MARTA service. I always thought disincentives for driving were the way to go, but I didn't think it would be from construction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A significant population of any major city, let alone Atlanta, would literally rather die than ever ride public transit

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ham Equity posted:

I can assure you that this probably won't be the case over the next several years.

Climate change is likely to get worse much faster than the cops.

Cops are going to ramp up the violence in proportion to climate disasters in order to maintain the comfort and property of the rich against the increasing tide of desperate, displaced people with nothing left. It is why they exist.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A significant population of any major city, let alone Atlanta, would literally rather die than ever ride public transit

It's true, and they may get their wish. 285 is a nightmare on a good day. This construction is supposed to last at least 8 months

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Ask a random white Atlantan what MARTA stands for, for a good time

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ham Equity posted:

I can assure you that this probably won't be the case over the next several years.

Climate change is likely to get worse much faster than the cops.

The only response to escalating climate disasters and chaos will be more cops and more toys for cops. They go together hand in hand. The GOP and neoliberals will just race eachother to see who can put more armor and mounted machine guns on the cop SUVs faster.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
personal cars are too unsafe and too wasteful to be the transportation system of the future. what if instead you were required to travel anywhere you want to go with a police officer, who was also your driver?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Ask a random white Atlantan what MARTA stands for, for a good time

MARTA hasn’t had any extension for 22 years, and before that really hasn’t been seriously expanded since the 1980s.

The DC metro isn’t that different except that more and more commuters from Nova have to use it and so they can’t let the entire system collapse just yet.

Public transit in the US is just one sad story after another.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A Police Department vehicle crashed into another car in the Bronx and careened onto a sidewalk on Thursday, striking a crowd of pedestrians and sending 10 people to the hospital, including a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old, a department official said at a news conference.

The official, Jeffrey B. Maddrey, the Police Department’s chief of patrol, said two officers were responding to a report of a stolen car when they drove over the double yellow line in the road to get around a vehicle that was in front of them. But their car quickly hit another vehicle and veered out of control, mounting the curb and slamming into a crowd of people.

“Of course we don’t want to see anybody injured, especially when the officers were trying to do the right thing,” he said. “They were trying to prevent a crime in progress, they were trying to apprehend someone who was ready to victimize a good person in the Bronx.”

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

eXXon posted:

A Police Department vehicle crashed into another car in the Bronx and careened onto a sidewalk on Thursday, striking a crowd of pedestrians and sending 10 people to the hospital, including a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old, a department official said at a news conference.

The official, Jeffrey B. Maddrey, the Police Department’s chief of patrol, said two officers were responding to a report of a stolen car when they drove over the double yellow line in the road to get around a vehicle that was in front of them. But their car quickly hit another vehicle and veered out of control, mounting the curb and slamming into a crowd of people.

“Of course we don’t want to see anybody injured, especially when the officers were trying to do the right thing,” he said. “They were trying to prevent a crime in progress, they were trying to apprehend someone who was ready to victimize a good person in the Bronx.”

Incredible use of passive voice. stunning, really.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sometimes a bunch of innocent people have to get hurt to prevent a property crime

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i hate when my car veers out of control suddenly for no reason and strikes a bunch of pedestrians. oh well nothing i can do about it!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lobster shirt posted:

i hate when my car veers out of control suddenly for no reason and strikes a bunch of pedestrians. oh well nothing i can do about it!

Love the car, though

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Clark Nova posted:

Cops are going to ramp up the violence in proportion to climate disasters in order to maintain the comfort and property of the rich against the increasing tide of desperate, displaced people with nothing left. It is why they exist.

and the core protected class will continuously shrink as conditions worsen

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

eXXon posted:

Those pedestrians weren't sending their best. Some of them, I assume, were good people

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

Cops in Washington are pushing to be able to do more high-speed chases since they were disallowed in most situations a few years ago, and are almost certainly going to get it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

my fanfic of kit but a dodge challenger and racist gets more true by the day

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

That's why they're spiral stairs, old people aren't flexible and will jam up in them once falling

Just imagining pushing a fallen down old person out of the spiral stairs of a trinity house with like a pizza paddle

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Clark Nova posted:

That's cool and true, but eventually that tide will be too much for them to handle, as cops are famously total cowards.

These displaced people will likely still have held on to a gun or three from when they were still prosperous enough to afford them. I also highly doubt the rich will pay them enough to make it worth it. I'm reminded of Southern plantation owners refusing the Confederate army the use of their land or their slaves.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
i had to use a car today in the environment cars are ... well not good but not the worst possible transportation method for. actual agriculture. not suburbs with some cow pastures that are just waiting on the developers to get approval but deep into the citrus groves.

it was astounding how much better it was. narrow roads that follow meandering cowpaths or streams, 2 lanes, crossings are 2v2 with a stopsign not 5v5 with a dozen ways to intersect another car. it's not like it was an empty road, there were a lot of vehicles on it, but because it was narrow and had a lot of curves nobody was trying to do 100 in a 55.

they were fixing part of the road where the floods washed it out and i had to wait a while for them to finish what they were doing on the one passable lane and i just killed the engine, rolled down the windows and relaxed. Everybody was stopped so no road noise! a luxury i forget when it's omnipresent around here.

an hour later back in the wasteland of stroads there was also construction and it was loving miserable. creeping a few inches at a time, having to watch other lanes to make sure nobody's trying to shove over because you got an extra 10 inches in the last five minutes... the contrast was night and day

i hate driving and i doubly hate being forced to drive 6 hours a day 3 days a week (fri, sat, sun) because of the other uniquely american misery: healthcare. but i still have to admit that i can see why people remember driving more fondly, it didn't used to be this bad.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ham Equity posted:

Cops in Washington are pushing to be able to do more high-speed chases since they were disallowed in most situations a few years ago, and are almost certainly going to get it.

One of the cases that actually made us change the rules originally happened right next to my house. Cops decided to light up to chase someone for something hella minor, like the plate lit up for a bench warrant, started chasing this guy and eventually, right next to my house, dude slams into a guy on a motorcycle who was a completely uninvolved and the motorcyclist died.

Cops chasing people is one of the dumbest things possible and always results in more people getting hurt.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/uncledoomer/status/1578503629954117632

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Lib and let die posted:

Incredible use of passive voice. stunning, really.

The media is absolutely complicit in the crimes that neoliberalism fosters. it's unreal

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Try to imagine the agony meted out with no cameras to see

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Milo and POTUS posted:

The media is absolutely complicit in the crimes that neoliberalism fosters. it's unreal

it's their actual job to do so so it's not some big surprise that they do it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

just did a 2 mile walk through downtown and was almost hit by cars 3 times. at each of a stop sign, red light, and at a sidewalk X parking lot driveway cutout.

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Those pedestrians weren't sending their best. Some of them, I assume, were good people

that 2 year old was no angel!

spckr
Aug 3, 2014

here we go
does “someone who was ready to victimize a good person” mean that there hadn’t even been a crime yet? I don’t speak bootlicker

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

why though? when i visited atlanta i took the metro from the airport and it was pretty good. clean, fast, seemed to have ok frequency. seemed way better than the big slow heavy rail I am used to here in Sydney

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

cowboy beepboop posted:

why though? when i visited atlanta i took the metro from the airport and it was pretty good. clean, fast, seemed to have ok frequency. seemed way better than the big slow heavy rail I am used to here in Sydney

Because black people also use it, that is enough.

I guess it is slowly changing but Australia uses a lot of what we would call commuter rail: full scale trains on a set timetable. The US had a point in the 1970s where a “commuter metro” concept was developed: you would have speed/comfort of more traditional metro (or subway system) with more widely placed stations/longer headways usually geared to suburban communities. The result was “okay.”

Essentially, DC/Atlanta/the Bay Area have sort of a high speed RER system.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

That's a shop, right?

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

genericnick posted:

That's a shop, right?

it’s the future

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

Of course it was the loving New York Times:

https://twitter.com/liamstack/status/1578134743094333440?s=20&t=r4AvneOddwnPKPH6MBSI1w

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

"i get better visibility because I sit higher up"

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

roundabouts!!!

how it started:

how it's going:

round round like a record baby

roundabouts, gently caress yeah

actually gently caress it just go straight over

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Lmao at that last one

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Horace posted:

roundabouts!!!

first as tragedy, then as face

https://twitter.com/Boenau/status/1578413727363125248

mystes
May 31, 2006

This is a valid point but at the same time I sort of feel like the US isn't even really doing much for electric cars either.

Obviously there have been tax incentives for electric cars so it's fair to say that more has been done for electric cars than for bikes, but it still feels like the US isn't even seriously interested in pursuing electric cars so much as (as with self-driving cars) people like them because they can point to the possibility of them taking over in the future as a reason why it's okay to keep driving fossil fuel powered cars today rather than trying to reduce car dependency, so it's actually more convenient for everyone to simply keep them off on the horizon as something that's not quite ready for everyone to use but is definitely going to magically fix the carbon emissions from cars any day now.

Everything about carbon emissions is like this really. We know the actual changes we need to be making literally right now or we're hosed, but since nobody wants to make them, we instead focus on the possibility of potential future technologies that would make those changes unnecessary if they actually existed right now as a reason why we somehow don't need to make the changes now.

We should be building bike infrastructure and electric streetcars/trains right now everywhere they're practical to reduce emissions from transportation as much as we can, but simply doing that would be admitting that cars might not be the future and even hinting at that possibility is political suicide in the US, because among other things, it would mean that a huge amount of homes in dumb places are going to be worthless in the future and tons of americans have their entire life savings in those homes

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:27 on Oct 8, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

electric cars and chargers will be options for people with enough money, who also tend to have their own indoor garage space to charge it easily. otherwise, eh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Electric cars solve none of the fundamental problems that gas cars have.