Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Mantis42 posted:

Sw*den should atone for their sins by.not taking half the year off in vacations. It's not fair to gamers.

Request like these is how you get more swedish sins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Pie charts are the worst. If you really love them being circular, then ring / donut charts are still much more readable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress you, Pie charts are GOAT

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
There's no ruler or decisionmaker from the empire alive anymore, Sweden nowadays plays nice with it's neighbours.

We still shouldn't forget their sinful national past, and that's just what EU4 does by making Sweden a nordic force of dread.

So while it might look unrealistic, it's still a work of historical education and the friendly understanding among nations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Devs say color-blind mode exists and this makes me happy, cause they've chosen the shade of red and green that is indistinguishable to me. It's usually a good idea to use not just a color of different hue but also different luminance. This way even completely color blind people can tell those colors apart.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

ilitarist posted:

Devs say color-blind mode exists and this makes me happy, cause they've chosen the shade of red and green that is indistinguishable to me. It's usually a good idea to use not just a color of different hue but also different luminance. This way even completely color blind people can tell those colors apart.

Yeah, there was an example of it in a dev diary a while back:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

The cyan and red there is significantly more readable to me, the default dark green seems to blend in with the background colour a lot more.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Yellow and blue are super visible to me with my Red-green deuteranopia. But it's a little strange that a calm blue is negative while alarming yellow is positive. I wonder if you can just set custom colors. It's probably moddable if not configurable.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/PDXVictoria/status/1578414856314593280

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t think I’d ever heard the vocal part of Rule the World before and holy gently caress that just comes out of nowhere and crushes you with its majesty. Never gone from 0 to full goosebumps so quickly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Because it's not a sim and its the best Pdox can do to get their game to consistently reproduce the historic outcome without direct player control, to satisfy the player base yelling about "realism". I fully agree with you on that everything about the historical Swedish empire, was improbable, against the odds, inhumane, sacrificial, and time and time again a stupid, irresponsible, gamble at the total mercy of luck.

Any accurate analytical simulation of nation state level warfare in the timeperiod would need several orders of magnitude more interacting factors, a great many factors which could not, and can not, be justifiably quantified and even less now so far removed.
Paradox makes games
The factors that could be used to strengthen Sweden without making Swedish territory permanently overpowered are the exact same factors that would help deal with some of the core issues of EU4, issues like snowballing and armies being too mobile/big countries being able to concentrate their forces too effectively. Any medium sized country would immediately gain a boost relative to their larger adversaries if those larger adversaries had trouble truly utilizing their strength on a single front, or were perhaps unable to truly take advantage of the territories they hold due to an inability to control the more peripheral provinces of their empire.

As for the Swedish Empire being against the odds, I feel like the way to model that would just be having god kings actually be a huge loving boost, a boost that sorta gets baked into your country the longer they do what they're into. So like, you get a godly general king, and have him just doing his thing, and now even if he dies your country will still have a martial tradition that lasts a generation. (So it doesn't feel as bad losing the god king). Because a country like Sweden shouldn't be a real contender in Europe without taking control of Scandinavia in its entirety, but it should absolutely be able to be a menace at some point.

Lady Radia posted:

yeah but the real problem is paradox's abstraction of manpower in EU4 is bad and dumb because it mixes a ton of concepts that don't really come together. for example, you can drill an army, and then hit a button to get 20% of your manpower back. like ???

agree it's because it's not a question of realism at all but i just think paradox has lost the thread on what the abstractions are meant to be to engage with

sweden was never a great power and was a dumb country that sucked, on top of being evil. i think talking about them as beating the odds is some silly nonsense lol
Yeah, my issue with the manpower thing is more that it really highlights just how inadequate aspects of the game are if they have to brute force results like that. I made a mod earlier in the game's life cycle, where I rebalanced the world to realistic development levels, and then just added an administrative system on top of it. A system that uniformly adjusted the balance across the board so smaller states were relatively powerful early on, but eventually got outclassed as larger states became more capable of taking full advantage of their territory. Oh yeah, I also added a dynamic population/economic growth system on top, which ensured countries like Sweden would fill up better over time, allowing it to become more competitive over time.

If I could do that as a small side project, there's no reason at all Paradox couldn't do it properly.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

eu4 isnt about internal management and constitutionally cannot be bc johann likes moving counters around. thats why lol

feller
Jul 5, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

If I could do that as a small side project, there's no reason at all Paradox couldn't do it properly.

Yep the only reason paradox haven’t done exactly what you want with eu4 is laziness obviously

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The Swedish empire was jingoistic. It was aggressive. It was colonial. It was self obsessed. It was evil. It started wars and sacrificed people everywhere in the name of moving land borders under the rule of Swedish despots. It did it against god, justice, statistical probability, and common sense for 200 odd years, and it eventually lost it all. There was nothing to make the rivers of blood worth it. This is what the Swedish empire amounted to. The strangeness is, it did do it.
Can this not be said about every empire? Is there something especially bad that Sweden the state did that makes them worse? Not trying to defend them or anything but most (if not all) empires should be viewed this way, shouldnt they?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why do so many people have such strong opinions on Sweden. Who cares

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

you forgettiong what thread ur in or ... ?/

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Can this not be said about every empire? Is there something especially bad that Sweden the state did that makes them worse? Not trying to defend them or anything but most (if not all) empires should be viewed this way, shouldnt they?

some empires dont do it against statistical probability and common sense, just god and justice

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

eu4 isnt about internal management and constitutionally cannot be bc johann likes moving counters around. thats why lol

This is unfortunately 100% correct, this came up in a Q&A ages ago and he was just like "lol the game is about being an empire why would anything ever stop you from conquering thing?"

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Lol, even aside from the fundamental unfairness of making this assumption without knowing what constraints the team is working with and how they prioritize accuracy vs historical outcomes vs simulationism (hint: not highly) vs gameplay vs making Sweden overpowered, have you seen the scope of the systems changes EU4 has been getting for the past couple of years? They're mostly small to medium standalone features or cautious tweaks that still manage gently caress up balance across the game most of the time. I think you're slightly underestimating how much work would go into a comprehensive rework of the entire world's development levels.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

if you want this done "properly" then just play meiou and taxes. it's literally exactly what you're describing, plus a revamped estate system where you punch nobles and bureaucrats so they stop stealing all of your money and manpower. it's in all honesty less complex than it presents itself to be, but if you want eu4 with population numbers and other internal management dials to twiddle with then that's the mod for you

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I'm still mad about Breitenfeld

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

some empires dont do it against statistical probability and common sense, just god and justice

Which ones

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm sure someone will make a total conversion mod that turns Victoria 3 into an EU game with simulationist characteristics

E: ^^ china would be an example of a statistically probable empire I think

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Enjoy posted:

Which ones

america :911:

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Long time paradox fans become steadily more deranged and esoteric with their opinions. Not me though

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

RabidWeasel posted:

This is unfortunately 100% correct, this came up in a Q&A ages ago and he was just like "lol the game is about being an empire why would anything ever stop you from conquering thing?"

Yeah once you look past the very thin sheen of simulation paint, EU4 is very much just a war game. Which isn't a criticism, its a pretty fun war/conquest map game.

But I am glad Paradox is now making a game that actually covers economic and political management.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The factors that could be used to strengthen Sweden without making Swedish territory permanently overpowered are the exact same factors that would help deal with some of the core issues of EU4, issues like snowballing and armies being too mobile/big countries being able to concentrate their forces too effectively. Any medium sized country would immediately gain a boost relative to their larger adversaries if those larger adversaries had trouble truly utilizing their strength on a single front, or were perhaps unable to truly take advantage of the territories they hold due to an inability to control the more peripheral provinces of their empire.

As for the Swedish Empire being against the odds, I feel like the way to model that would just be having god kings actually be a huge loving boost, a boost that sorta gets baked into your country the longer they do what they're into. So like, you get a godly general king, and have him just doing his thing, and now even if he dies your country will still have a martial tradition that lasts a generation. (So it doesn't feel as bad losing the god king). Because a country like Sweden shouldn't be a real contender in Europe without taking control of Scandinavia in its entirety, but it should absolutely be able to be a menace at some point.

Yeah, my issue with the manpower thing is more that it really highlights just how inadequate aspects of the game are if they have to brute force results like that. I made a mod earlier in the game's life cycle, where I rebalanced the world to realistic development levels, and then just added an administrative system on top of it. A system that uniformly adjusted the balance across the board so smaller states were relatively powerful early on, but eventually got outclassed as larger states became more capable of taking full advantage of their territory. Oh yeah, I also added a dynamic population/economic growth system on top, which ensured countries like Sweden would fill up better over time, allowing it to become more competitive over time.

Mostly completely agreed, EU's mechanics don't really lend themselves to the kinds of nation-building that was really interesting throughout the period, mostly spearheaded by really famously skilled ministers or otherwise enabled by "God-Kings"; a lot of countries from UK, France, to Russia, seemed to come together under the influence of exceptional monarchs and ministers. And those sort of decisions tend to be uninteresting decisions. I look forward to someone taking Victoria 3 and making a total conversion 1400 to 1800 mod for it :D

Although to your last point I imagine its a combination of needing resources for it that Paradox as a studio doesn't have, its also a mature product which means any major changes now would be unwise when it can wait for some hypothetical EU5 to rethink things to be slightly more Knights & Merchants and nation-building. And also because of the differing design visions of different showrunners vis a vis the influence of the loud sections of the community who have probably loudly complained about previous major changes.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Even if the war is simplified it remains a defining feature of any GSG. You won't lose the game because of the poor economy or even poor politics, you lose the game because you lose the war. So technically both EU4 and Victoria 2 can be called wargames but in both cases, it would be a useless technical definition. In both of those games you're supposed to use diplomacy, politics and economy to only participate in one-sided wars that are decided before they're started.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

No, in EU4 you're supposed to use your gamer's cortex to superbly micro armies and run circles around the AI, thus winning wars that look impossible

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you can do either if you want

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Victoria 3 is built on top of an economic and demographic simulation that impacts all aspects of gameplay, EU4 is a wargame (in the board game sense) with a bunch of simulation-ish mechanics bolted on top. Both have war and simulation but the emphasis is totally different.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

VostokProgram posted:

No, in EU4 you're supposed to use your gamer's cortex to superbly micro armies and run circles around the AI, thus winning wars that look impossible

Fair point. My hypothesis is destroyed.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It would be nice if in EU you could win against the odds, the feeling of being in a situation similar to Frederick the Great's and winning* because you had a drat good army and knew just where to attack at the right time to keep breaking up the enemy armies before they can form/link up is very compelling; as well as battles where the larger more poorly trained army just melts against your fire power, training, and positioning.

But EU has never really felt like that game; or does so at the expense of other gameplay.

*Putting aside the extent in the 7 Years War Prussia was able to do this because (a) Russia switching sides for a time and (b) Economic subsidies from Great Britain; otherwise the war was exhausting and devastating to Prussia. Stuff that sounds suspiciously like its very important for Victoria 3 hrmmm...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

. I look forward to someone taking Victoria 3 and making a total conversion 1400 to 1800 mod for it :D
Oh man I hope there are a ton of mods for this game. By the nature of the period its gotta simulate countries at every level of development so you could go back and put some more details into different types of aristocrats and serfs and such, add in a few different interest groups and simulate like, the middle ages or Roman times or whatever.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Magissima posted:

Lol, even aside from the fundamental unfairness of making this assumption without knowing what constraints the team is working with and how they prioritize accuracy vs historical outcomes vs simulationism (hint: not highly) vs gameplay vs making Sweden overpowered, have you seen the scope of the systems changes EU4 has been getting for the past couple of years? They're mostly small to medium standalone features or cautious tweaks that still manage gently caress up balance across the game most of the time. I think you're slightly underestimating how much work would go into a comprehensive rework of the entire world's development levels.
It's not like the game is super balanced anyway... but I was thinking more that this was something to do for an EU5, to create a more solid foundation for every other bit of balance going forward. An anti-snowballing system should by its nature reduce the risk of balance changes causing major upsets to the balance of power.

Jazerus posted:

if you want this done "properly" then just play meiou and taxes. it's literally exactly what you're describing, plus a revamped estate system where you punch nobles and bureaucrats so they stop stealing all of your money and manpower. it's in all honesty less complex than it presents itself to be, but if you want eu4 with population numbers and other internal management dials to twiddle with then that's the mod for you
I want it integrated into the base game, precisely because it is not actually that complicated. Like, the impact of administration capabilities could literally be as simple as a formula that looks at your base manpower/tax/production, compares it to the base manpower of your government form x whatever modifiers you have from your leaders, advisors and ideas, and then calculates a final max manpower/tax/production. And again, this is not in service of fiddling with the bureaucracy, but to improve balance - while also letting the player gain a real sense of progression through the centuries as they unlock the full potential of their state.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Eiba posted:

Oh man I hope there are a ton of mods for this game. By the nature of the period its gotta simulate countries at every level of development so you could go back and put some more details into different types of aristocrats and serfs and such, add in a few different interest groups and simulate like, the middle ages or Roman times or whatever.

Basically the only thing the game needs to simulate the cold war is the ability to limit a conflict to a single front or region so the US and USSR can sink soldiers into a proxy war without invading each other.

The fronts system is a great way to simulate insurgent and asymmetric conflicts - an abstract meatgrinder that you push resources into.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Magissima posted:

I’m not arguing against your point but I think pretending the EU4 team creates strongly about balance is counterproductive

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

MinistryofLard posted:

Basically the only thing the game needs to simulate the cold war is the ability to limit a conflict to a single front or region so the US and USSR can sink soldiers into a proxy war without invading each other.

The fronts system is a great way to simulate insurgent and asymmetric conflicts - an abstract meatgrinder that you push resources into.
Have they talked about how pouring resources into a front actually works? Like, are supplies done on a country-by-country basis, or could a country oversupply a front with say food to make up for a shortfall from an ally on the same front?

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 8, 2022

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's nothing wrong with being a wargame. And especially in Paradox' case, the three or four main historical games fill different niches. Crusader Kings is character driven, where it's entirely possible to create a big empire without ever going to war. Europa Universalis is about colonization and warfare, Victoria is much more economy focused, and Hearts of Iron is a wargame but quite different from EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
But I want historical simulations :(