Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Regardless of anyone’s opinion on the business model that Blizzard went with, this game will still make them an assload of money. People say f2p with cosmetics only is the proper way to do it and then bitch that they have to spend money to unlock cosmetics quickly like they aren’t going to be playing this for years???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Overdrift posted:

Is there any goon discord or battle.net group to join to play with y'all?

i need a stack

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

hello internet posted:

Regardless of anyone’s opinion on the business model that Blizzard went with, this game will still make them an assload of money. People say f2p with cosmetics only is the proper way to do it and then bitch that they have to spend money to unlock cosmetics quickly like they aren’t going to be playing this for years???

It's not cosmetics only. You have to buy heroes too.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Reaper is really good if you have a good tank, and unplayable if your tank sucks. Many heroes on DPS are like this but Reaper I think, personally, is the worst. Live and die by the brawl positioning decisions, and while you have an out, it's very easy to just not contribute.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Mega Comrade posted:

It's not cosmetics only. You have to buy heroes too.

i've unlocked almost every hero except kitsune on a brand new account by just spamming games, its not hard, just takes time

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Concurred posted:

i've unlocked almost every hero except kitsune on a brand new account by just spamming games, its not hard, just takes time

I mean, yeah. It's not supposed to be hard, it's actually supposed to be very easy. That's what makes it addictive, because it's something easy to do but you have to do it for a long time.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Concurred posted:

stop posting on your dad’s account and tell him to buy you your own

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
if PC aim feels off, the general consensus is these might be the culprit, set the following:
Dynamic render scaling > Off (I force the scaling to 75% personally, it let's me turn everything else way up and still get lots of frames)
Controller > Aim smoothing 0%
High precision mouse input > re-enable
Screen and HUD shake > Off

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aexo posted:

if PC aim feels off, the general consensus is these might be the culprit, set the following:
Dynamic render scaling > Off (I force the scaling to 75% personally, it let's me turn everything else way up and still get lots of frames)

its very funny how every day a new thing gets added to the list of "No THIS setting is why aiming feels bad!!"

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Aexo posted:

What is high precision mouse input? Is the opposite mouse acceleration or something?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Aiming feels bad because things in this game move too fast. That's it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Concurred posted:

Old characters are locked in a quick unlock system to ease new players in to the game.

That’s not the same unlock system that the new character releases will have. They will all be locked like Kitsune so grats on falling for that trap.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

hello internet posted:

This is true but OW1 actually gave you a lot of ways to get free loot boxes (leveling up, winning 3 arcade games, playing flex role sometimes) and now there’s *no* way to get cosmetics beyond grinding 60 gold per week. You can get a legendary skin after 8 months. The juxtaposition between the two systems just sucks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

poe meater posted:

What is high precision mouse input? Is the opposite mouse acceleration or something?

It affects polling rate between frames when you do a flick with cowboy or other hitscan. It doesn’t affect tracking while holding down fire.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Countblanc posted:

its very funny how every day a new thing gets added to the list of "No THIS setting is why aiming feels bad!!"

My mouse settings are broken, my uncle works at Activision-Blizzard. The uncle that isn't allowed to come to family events ever since the incident.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

None of this bolds well for the upcoming WoW expansion, and Diablo 4, if Blizzard can’t even get out a minor Overwatch update that adds a 2 to the title and branding.

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
still a queue today. what did activision do to this game?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

poe meater posted:

Basically takes into account the time between server ticks.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/new-feature-high-precision-mouse-input-gameplay-option/422094

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Don’t forget new characters are also level 55 on the free battlepass (meaning weeks of grinding), and unlocked via “challenges” (which we still have no details on) after the season ends.

Quad posted:

New Kiriko menu music tune has the exact same Generic Trap Beat as The Worst Fortnite Song and it fills me with an impotent rage that it is on purpose, that it is a finely crafted marketing decision to be as legally distinct from, but similar to, Fortnite in any way they can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-QJM7mwPME&t=85s

for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXwrMsBfSVg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbFhkuvgAM8

Reddit found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3cI0LIMRcw

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

DoctorJones posted:

Are you on a PC or console?

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.

Father Wendigo posted:

Are you on a PC or console?

pee see.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Reaper is really good if you have a good tank, and unplayable if your tank sucks. Many heroes on DPS are like this but Reaper I think, personally, is the worst. Live and die by the brawl positioning decisions, and while you have an out, it's very easy to just not contribute.
reaper can be played 3 ways:
- frontline brawler
- shadowstep to backline, harass, fade away, loop
- sneaky snake from the top ropes as ross and lawler commentate

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Aiming feels bad because things in this game move too fast. That's it.
i assume blizz experimented with reducing the power of ad spam and everything died way too fast but they also felt the game would feel worse if they made the health pools larger to compensate

it still feels like poo poo to shoot at ad spamming 6 years later tho

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

DoctorJones posted:

The same thing blizzard did to every game they’ve ever released; woefully under-prepare for massive server load on launch

Change region to Asia, never wait in queue again

comedyblissoption posted:

it still feels like poo poo to shoot at ad spamming 6 years later tho

You’re just worse in this game. Aiming is harder and tighter because the engine requires you to be more accurate. Get better.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

None of this bolds well for the upcoming WoW expansion, and Diablo 4, if Blizzard can’t even get out a minor Overwatch update that adds a 2 to the title and branding.

None of those are free to play games.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poe meater posted:

Higher polling rate for the mouse on the game's side.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Logged in today and all my stuff is missing suddenly. Awesome.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

The same thing blizzard did to every game they’ve ever released; woefully under-prepare for massive server load on launch

Change region to Asia, never wait in queue again

You’re just worse in this game. Aiming is harder and tighter because the engine requires you to be more accurate. Get better.

it's physically impossible to track a-d strafing in overwatch due to the limits of human reaction time. you can only try to predict it, which means it's mostly random whether you hit your shots or not. other shooters typically put in some lingering momentum to a-d strafing so that it's possible to track players if they do it

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Is there a list of changes to the engine/game in regards to this written somewhere? Hitbox changes?

I mostly played in seasons 1-3~

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

comedyblissoption posted:

reaper can be played 3 ways:
- frontline brawler
- shadowstep to backline, harass, fade away, loop
- sneaky snake from the top ropes as ross and lawler commentate

Yeah but I dooooooo feel like your effectiveness at #2 sucks with Lucio, Moira, Mercy, and soon Kiriko being slippery

But like you said yes he very good at those roles and flexible

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Minorkos posted:

it's physically impossible to track a-d strafing in overwatch due to the limits of human reaction time. you can only try to predict it, which means it's mostly random whether you hit your shots or not.

Yeah that’s why pro hitscan players in OW hit the same number of shots as bronze and every tracer is unkillable because they just AD all day.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

this might surprise you but good ow players do have to constantly guess to hit their shots :ssh:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
No it's because they don't track on any of the range hitscan characters. It's all hospital flicks

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm coming from Valorant and I literally can't play Cass cause the muscle memory change is insane. Ashe is mostly fine when I'm scoped because of the distance.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I can't believe this game has been out for days and they still haven't figured out how to stop existing OW1 players accounts from having characters locked what the actual gently caress

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I keep ricocheting sharply between "this game is insanely fun and feels so fresh to play despite being an iteration of a game i have been playing for years" and "I cannot believe how incredibly inept the implementation of every single aspect of this game is" at a dangerous and potentially unhealthy pace. That's blizzard magic baby

DoctorJones
Apr 28, 2003

Fortune and Glory.
they messed up the sound pretty badly. i keep missing ulti cues from the other team. i also can't voiceline spam as well i as i could in ow1. it just stops working sometimes.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

DoctorJones posted:

they messed up the sound pretty badly. i keep missing ulti cues from the other team. i also can't voiceline spam as well i as i could in ow1. it just stops working sometimes.

Yeah I've been wondering why the sexpest cowboy can now silently deadeye you from a mile away

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Feel like I should remind console players to turn off crossplay because it makes Comp completely unwinnable in some cases. I dont think it’s fair when I’m playing as ana and get wrecked by an opposing ana who can I see doing wasd circles and flick shotting me on the kill cam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cowboy's and Bastion's grenades should have a visual cue when they stick to you, like Echo's does, but they don't. It's bad.

Also I discovered today, after some testing, that Orisa's shield is loving weird and has unique properties that no other abilities do.
It acts like Genji's Deflect or Sigma's Absorb, where it interacts with projectiles but not beams, but until those it also for some reason blocks melee attack, which nothing else in the game does.
It has weird interactions where apparently Junker Queen's Ult is both an AoE Melee Attack AND an AoE Debuff, and Orisa's shield blocks one part of it but not the other.

poo poo's getting weird and it's obvious that they're getting less and less concerned about having consistent rules between character abilities.