Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Marzzle posted:

not acknowledging fred jones is the jungian himbo archetype?

im going to lose my drat mind! the correct terms are bimbo and bimbette!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010

KirbyKhan posted:

I learned the following in the promo material for R-rated Scooby Doo HBO Max reboot show called Velma

Velma Gay, so what
Daphne voiced by Constance Wu, cool
Shaggie is black, cool
Black Shaggie isn't named Shaggie, wait wut
Velma is Indian, ok
Velma is Mindy Kaling, gently caress this I'm out

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1578100321477279744?t=3wTEe1Ki7BPq5tlgLhgSEg&s=19

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1578130070752968704?t=TwclkEqLJaZiam5-Q3GUlA&s=19

Ah jeez I can't wait for the outrageous backlash this will attract.
It looks fine for the record.

Edit:
What even IS a cracker barrel? is a barrel really the best place for crackers?

Seatbelts has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Oct 7, 2022

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bedpan posted:

im going to lose my drat mind! the correct terms are bimbo and bimbette!

Bimbx

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

caelxii posted:

The original Scooby Doo was great because every episode hammered home that magic and superstition are bullshit and everything has a rational explanation if you look hard enough. Then they started adding actual magic and superstition.

also half the time the bad guy is a developer or oil baron or some other member of the rentier class trying to spook honest people off Valuable land

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

incredible things happening in china

https://twitter.com/wowinteresting8/status/1576884397659545600

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

you have me in tears

I hope you are happy

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Can one of the Chinese residents of this thread adopt me so I can learn to ball from these children instead of the grown men who play poorly at my LA Fitness?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

https://twitter.com/BornAKang/status/1577700714070933507?t=0ZG6pHsDzDkEEAzFy97wIQ&s=19

Incredible educational lesson.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
RIP those two kids China is terrifying

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Only slightly less terrfying than an active shooter drill

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KomradeX posted:

Only slightly less terrfying than an active shooter drill

Wife is doing teaching and they've had 2 active shooter scares since school start and they still don't have standard operating procedure document to describe what the gently caress you're supposed to do.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
China is over

https://www.ft.com/content/6825bee4-52a7-4c86-b1aa-31c100708c3e

quote:

US hits China with sweeping tech export controls
Restrictions will limit Chinese companies’ access to advanced computer chips and slow their progress in artificial intelligence

4 hours ago
A Semiconductor Manufacturing International plant in Shanghai
An SMIC plant in Shanghai. The company will be affected by controls intended to make it more difficult for China to develop advanced chips © Qilai Shen/Bloomberg
The US has introduced sweeping export controls that will severely complicate efforts by Chinese companies to develop cutting-edge technologies with military applications, in one of the toughest actions President Joe Biden has taken against China.

The commerce department on Friday announced restrictions that will make it extremely hard for Chinese companies to obtain or manufacture advanced computer chips and will slow their progress in artificial intelligence.

The measures are also designed to make it much tougher for China to develop supercomputers with military applications that range from modelling nuclear weapons to developing hypersonic weapons.

The controls mark a new attempt to decouple China from the US in cutting-edge technologies. They come days before the Chinese Communist party holds its 20th national congress at which President Xi Jinping is expected to seal a third term as leader.

Paul Triolo, a China and tech expert at Albright Stonebridge, a consultancy, said the action was a “major watershed” in US-China relations and in the increasingly intense technology competition between the two countries.

“The US has essentially declared war on China’s ability to advance the country’s use of high-performance computing for economic and security gains,” said Triolo.

The controls will hit Chinese companies in multiple ways. They will bar US companies from exporting critical chip manufacturing tools to China, which will affect groups such as Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp, Yangtze Memory Technologies Co and ChangXin Memory.

The restrictions will also prohibit “US persons” — American citizens and companies — from providing direct or indirect support to Chinese companies involved in advanced chip manufacturing.

Kevin Wolf, an expert on export controls at Akin Gump, said the US persons provision was the “most significant and expansive” element of the broad package of measures announced. He said it was a “novel” approach because it threatened a form of sanctions even if the underlying technology was not subject to existing export controls.

The US also put YMTC — along with 30 other Chinese entities — on a list of “unverified” companies, paving the way for possible inclusion on a separate blacklist called the “entity list” that would effectively bar US companies from supplying them with technology.

“The administration’s strategy is to deny China the capability to indigenise its semiconductor industry. If the US is successful, this causes a huge problem for Beijing’s strategy to be a world-class player,” said Martijn Rasser, a security and technology expert at the Center for a New American Security, a think-tank.

Underscoring the scope of the controls, the US is using a far-reaching mechanism called the “foreign direct product rule” to make it harder for China to develop and maintain supercomputers and AI technology.

The rule — which was first used by the administration of Donald Trump against Chinese technology group Huawei — in effect bars any US or non-US company from supplying targeted Chinese entities with hardware or software whose supply chain contains American technology.

But in an effort to reduce supply chain disruptions, the administration will carve out an exception for chipmaking facilities in China owned by companies from the US or allied countries that are exporting chips.

“The PRC [People’s Republic of China] has poured resources into developing supercomputing capabilities and seeks to become a world leader in artificial intelligence by 2030. It is using these capabilities to monitor, track and surveil their own citizens, and fuel its military modernisation,” said Thea Kendler, a senior commerce department official. “Our actions will protect US national security.”

Analysts said China’s memory chipmakers, including YMTC and ChangXin Memory, would feel the most immediate blow.

“They are basically doomed,” said Mark Li, a semiconductor analyst at Bernstein in Hong Kong. “It will be very difficult for them to get the equipment they need.

But the ban on the export of semiconductor tools could significantly hurt Chinese chipmakers more broadly because US equipment makers have a stranglehold in a few crucial niches.

Triolo said there would be “many losers”, including US chip design leaders such as Nvidia and AMD, and tool makers including Applied Materials and Lam Research. He said the rules would also hit non-US players, including ASML, the Dutch company that produces the most advanced semiconductor tools, and TSMC, the Taiwanese contract foundry company.

Recommended

One chip industry executive said the US was attacking China “from all angles”.

“The stunning thing about this move is that they have assembled a whole array of tools,” the executive said. “They are not just targeting military applications, they are trying to block the development of China’s technology power by any means.”

The Semiconductor Industry Association, the main US lobby group for the chip industry, said it was “assessing” the effect of the controls and working with its members to ensure compliance.

“We understand the goal of ensuring national security and urge the US government to implement the rules in a targeted way — and in collaboration with international partners — to help level the playing field and mitigate unintended harm to US innovation,” the group said.

Chuck Schumer, the Senate Democratic majority leader, welcomed the controls but said the US need to go further. He said the Senate was looking at ways to include measures in an upcoming defence spending bill to counter Chinese efforts to undermine the US chip industry.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

The US is just raising the hoop higher and higher so china can continue to grow stronger

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat that last kid is a real dumbfuck

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

i say swears online posted:

drat that last kid is a real dumbfuck

crisis actor

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Wife is doing teaching and they've had 2 active shooter scares since school start and they still don't have standard operating procedure document to describe what the gently caress you're supposed to do.

So what the local cops come in terrorize everyone, leave and no one still has a plan for what if?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KomradeX posted:

So what the local cops come in terrorize everyone, leave and no one still has a plan for what if?

Not even local cops. They just sent an email after the second incident saying "ok when the drill happens turn off the lights and lock the door" and then they said over intercom "ok the drill is happening." then like 5 minutes later they gave the all-clear like "ok the drill is done, you can go back to spelling or whatever"

When I was a post9/11 kid that theater was taken much more seriously and happened every 3 months: the police would use this time to bring their drug dogs past the lockers, and like menace us (only the first time. I guess they were told to knock it off after that because we only got our door shook that first time) . Kids nowadays are getting so much less, which is wild.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Not even local cops. They just sent an email after the second incident saying "ok when the drill happens turn off the lights and lock the door" and then they said over intercom "ok the drill is happening." then like 5 minutes later they gave the all-clear like "ok the drill is done, you can go back to spelling or whatever"

When I was a post9/11 kid that theater was taken much more seriously and happened every 3 months: the police would use this time to bring their drug dogs past the lockers, and like menace us (only the first time. I guess they were told to knock it off after that because we only got our door shook that first time) . Kids nowadays are getting so much less, which is wild.

I don't know if theyre getting less since every school shooter drill I hear about has some hot dog necked cop running around the school pretending to murder people with BB guns and having the time of rheir lives

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Palladium posted:

America: This is really about stopping China and not throwing you under my Micron's bus!

Samsung and SK Hynix: Do we look like one of your eurodumbs?

as much as my opinion of south korea has collapsed over the last ten years due to their being utterly cucked by american soft power theres no denying that youre better off being naive about our ideology rather than our geopolitics as the current entirely preventable crisis in europe is demonstrating

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/GraceLi_2008/status/1578311436681375745

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

the bitcoin of weed posted:

scooby doo is for 8 year olds. you're not supposed to like it, you're supposed to have formative sexual thoughts based on which of the girls you wanted to gently caress when you started puberty

Kids nowadays really missed out with Gilligan's Island, drat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Mrs. Howell best girl

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hot lips Hoolahan

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/DCNChannel/status/1578360698060476416

quote:

Russian Railways presented a new train of Santa Claus at the Leningrad station

It will go on a New Year's journey of 85 days across Russia from Veliky Ustyug on October 22 and will return on January 15.

Very atmospheric

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
https://twitter.com/jpak25/status/1578495236892135425?s=20&t=embHOexxIKueZjg0tTggPA

Npr lady losing her mind that her friends in Shanghai are subject to quarantine procedures

https://twitter.com/jpak25/status/1578495252763381760?s=20&t=embHOexxIKueZjg0tTggPA

When all else fails speak to the manager

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mawarannahr posted:

The measures are also designed to make it much tougher for China to develop supercomputers with military applications that range from modelling nuclear weapons to developing hypersonic weapons.

this probably the dumbest thing i saw this week

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

If China had implemented the same covid policies as the US, they'd have six million dead. But think of the economy!

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

slave to my cravings posted:

https://twitter.com/jpak25/status/1578495236892135425?s=20&t=embHOexxIKueZjg0tTggPA

Npr lady losing her mind that her friends in Shanghai are subject to quarantine procedures

https://twitter.com/jpak25/status/1578495252763381760?s=20&t=embHOexxIKueZjg0tTggPA

When all else fails speak to the manager

the party does want to hear people's complaints most of the time. the whole covid response is scrapped together too hastily and a lot of the people doing it still hope it'll all be cancelled before any slacking off catches up to them. hopefully after the party congress happens and the outside world is wrecked by omicron soup they really get their act together and streamline all the permissions status tech and lockdown supply lines to minimize inconvenience

caelxii
Jun 20, 2003

lmao at the Chinese Karens getting btfo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

this allusion meant posted:

the party does want to hear people's complaints most of the time. the whole covid response is scrapped together too hastily and a lot of the people doing it still hope it'll all be cancelled before any slacking off catches up to them.

I feel like the problem with a quarantine appeals process is everyone would appeal every quarantine and even with a massive state effort to hire train and deploy covid appellates your quarantine period would be over before they could even get to your case, so why bother

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
yeah, they should send retroactive giftbags if they jump the gun on ordering a quarantine.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

yeah, they should send retroactive giftbags if they jump the gun on ordering a quarantine.

Use the genshin impact model. Give me wishes for every maintenance incident, don't care if it inconvenienced me or not.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

lol i just watched this again a couple days ago

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

i say swears online posted:

don't worry. if you want to post something completely horrific and inappropriate in the cspam pics thread, you just need to hide it behind spoiler tags instead of de-linking it and putting in NMS tags, as is appropriate policy for all NSFW pics across forums history

thank u for upholding forums policy, user i say swears online :thumbsup:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

gently caress you

edit

:blessed:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
ok i think i'm all caught up now sorry for the empty quotes and w/e

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ok i lied

these kinds of brainworms only exist in libs that think Xi makes every decision for china period

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

drat shame that some people need to be inconvenienced to save millions of lives.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

We're never going to hear the end of this.

It's just Stacey Abrams / Beto O'Rourke, but for local libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Total thread bankruptcy so idk but I watched a few of those 4k walks through a few Chinese cities and holy poo poo future world also crowded.