Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

PunkBoy posted:

I'm currently hooked on doing the Side Ops in MGS V, but it gets pretty tedious to constantly call in helicopters to extract after a mission, go back to the ACC menu, and then immediately fly back in to another mission on the other side of the map. I wish I could just direct the helicopter to pick me up and drop me off somewhere else without having to go back to the menus and do the whole mission prep phase again. Otherwise, I'm loving at the different ways I can approach missions. It's a lot of fun to be stealthy or go loud, and I appreciate that the game doesn't really penalize you for choosing one option over the other.

Also I just realized after all this time that sending Quiet to scout out an outpost will not only have her mark enemies, but also steal ammo and gear and set up resupply points in case you run out of bullets or suppressor durability. :aaa:

I keep wanting to go back to MGSV. The main thing keeping me away, apart from having so much other stuff to play, is all the grinding you had to do to get all the good stuff.

Oh, and the terrible, terrible "story"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Does anyone remember a video game themed around a Stepford Wife-like town where you get arrested for not smiling? I think it might've been an old one featured on X-Play, or there might have been two like that and one involved making everyone wear happy masks, but I'd like to hear about any game that has that theme

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

galenanorth posted:

Does anyone remember a video game themed around a Stepford Wife-like town where you get arrested for not smiling? I think it might've been an old one featured on X-Play, or there might have been two like that and one involved making everyone wear happy masks, but I'd like to hear about any game that has that theme

That's We Happy Few / We Crappy Pew

rox
Sep 7, 2016

new displaced gamers vid finishing off the tmnt trilogy of vids. this ones about input lag and possible redesign ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6E8YmQUkdo

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I keep wanting to go back to MGSV. The main thing keeping me away, apart from having so much other stuff to play, is all the grinding you had to do to get all the good stuff.

Oh, and the terrible, terrible "story"

I don't know if it's because of something I did previously, but when I started a new game, i got a bunch of rewards that helped me out on the initial hump. Materials and lots of high ranked soldiers.

As for the story, I'm not hating it so far, but I haven't hit the really wild stuff yet. At the very least I appreciate the themes it's trying to explore, even if the execution is lackluster.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 7, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If you're playing on PC you can get mods to skip the grinding if you want. I decided to stick with vanilla for timers/GMP requirements since evidently even with a new game you still get the online GMP you had so I've had plenty of resources to use.

PunkBoy posted:

I don't know if it's because of something I did previously, but when I started a new game, i got a bunch of rewards that helped me out on the initial hump. Materials and lots of high ranked soldiers.

As for the story, I'm not hating it so far, but I haven't hit the really wild stuff yet. At the very least I appreciate the themes it's trying to explore, even if the execution is lackluster.

The story gets worse as it goes on, and Huey just sucks so much that it kinda ruins everything for me. Ocelot is boring and Kaz, though his reasons for changing character are good, is just an annoying character to me at this point. None of the themes are fully explored and the story ends up feeling/being unfinished. It's also just more miserable towards the characters than any other MGS game including 4. I liked it a little more til I played PW finally over the last few weeks and seeing how much better everything is done in that game makes V's issues stand out way more.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like how much Huey sucks he’s the best character in the game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quiet is the best character, she's so hot, and doesn't talk!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jay Rust posted:

Quiet is the best character, she's so hot, and doesn't talk!!

1960 called it wants its post back

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
d-dog best companion

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ymgve posted:

d-dog best companion

This

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ymgve posted:

d-dog best companion

Unless you're Veeg

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

D-Dog is super good. He's basically the equivalent of a Soliton radar and his constant marking has helped me avoid a ton of jams.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
D-Walker wasn’t the most useful but by god I brought my cool robot buddy on nearly every mission

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Yeah, I haven't really used D-Walker at all but all the customization options look like they could be a ton of fun. I've mostly used Quiet in my current playthrough. Her fire support is incredibly helpful and it never gets old to have her ricochet a grenade into a group of enemies. It's also the most effective way to take down helicopters.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I used Quiet a ton in my first playthrough so I’m using d horse and dog more this time and they both rule, it’s funny to set up ambushes with your pooping horse and d dog is the best. Giving him an eyepatch was the best decision they made in mgsv.

Mr E fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 7, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mr E posted:

I used Quiet a ton in my first playthrough so I’m using d horse and dog more this time and they both rule, it’s funny to set up ambushes with your pooping horse and d dog is the best. Giving him an eyepatch was the best decision they mad edit mgsv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXOGu_oEx0

lmao that hold him up to the sun like simba moment

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mario needs to get that BBL

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJXOGu_oEx0

lmao that hold him up to the sun like simba moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNJ4Uhce4Q8

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The SF6 CC owns lmao

https://twitter.com/tyakabou/status...ingawful.com%2F

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Finally I can create a character that represents the real me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Justice for Mario’s butt.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I hope he starts the movie not jumping at all but then gets cheek injections and that's his superpower

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Behold. An Overcooked clone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbsfqGVpbc

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh lord those character designs are like intensely unappealing

they somehow made things that are funko pops but worse

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

That's We Happy Few / We Crappy Pew

Thank you!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kerrzhe posted:

oh lord those character designs are like intensely unappealing

they somehow made things that are funko pops but worse

So I've been working in the childrens/toys department of my store and I gotta look at these things all day and would you believe these are like...not the worst fashion doll designs we have in stock?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Has a funko pop ever been possessed by a malevolent ghost?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We will never know how close they came to doing a major redesign for the Chucky reboot

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jay Rust posted:

every single one of them already are

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

brb calling Blumhouse

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1578460223479508993?s=46&t=k6IL5I_GJUoxOOEmKrNVIQ

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought Hard Drive was a parody site.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
obviously the concept of a "principled gamer" is an unrealistic fantasy that cannot possibly exist in reality, but we can still dream

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is it just me, or is Hard Drive looking more and more like a documentary?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
World at War:

I really appreciate how this game presents the taking of Berlin as not a heroic arrival to throw off the oppressor's yoke but instead a grim massacre where innocents forced into combat are slaughtered. Though I bet they'd never have done that if the PC wasn't Russian

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It doesn't feel right that Lenny Loosejocks Goes Walkabout had its Wikipedia article deleted 10 years after the game was made and 14 years before its Steam re-release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Rarity posted:

World at War:

I really appreciate how this game presents the taking of Berlin as not a heroic arrival to throw off the oppressor's yoke but instead a grim massacre where innocents forced into combat are slaughtered. Though I bet they'd never have done that if the PC wasn't Russian

I've always assumed this graph is true & real