Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You folks in the Pac NW haven't even seen a million acre fire yet, and your forests are way more dense than almost anywhere else. It's gonna get so much worse than you can possibly imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Ten day forecast is showing no rain through the 17th which that’s absolutely wild if it holds

In the future the PNW will still get the same amount of rain per year, but now it will all fall in the month of November.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
A lot of the forests around here look like this now. Just stacks of fallen trees on trees

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dog Case posted:

A lot of the forests around here look like this now. Just stacks of fallen trees on trees

those were cut down

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Real hurthling! posted:

those were cut down

Those were cut where they fell across the trail

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ah

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

You folks in the Pac NW haven't even seen a million acre fire yet, and your forests are way more dense than almost anywhere else. It's gonna get so much worse than you can possibly imagine.

Perhaps not a single contiguous wildfire but I think we've had a million acres of wildfire in one year

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Shifty Nipples posted:

Perhaps not a single contiguous wildfire but I think we've had a million acres of wildfire in one year

what'll be bad is when they start happening west of the cascades

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Six days into October and still having sunny days with highs in their mid-80s in Portland. This is abnormal to say the least. I can’t think of another year where we’ve gotten this far into fall without any significant rainfall at all. Looking at the ten day forecast which yeah I know it’s looking like we could make it through the middle of October without a single drop of rain

Usually I can stop watering yard plants by mid-September

I hate it

no I heard the pacific northwest is safe from climate change????

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

RC Cola posted:

no I heard the pacific northwest is safe from climate change????

did tucker carlson tell you that

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.nifc.gov/fire-information/statistics

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

saintonan posted:

did tucker carlson tell you that

if tucker carlson is the dnd goons in the pacific northwest then yes

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Anyone in the pnw can just buy a house in whatever other part of the planet they want so I'm not too worried about that

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

We are trying to move to Vermont and I’m definitely looking forward to the weird looks I get when I start prepping things up there for the inevitable fire season.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

what'll be bad is when they start happening west of the cascades

You mean in the coast range? Because the 2020 Labor Day fires got all the way close to Salem and right up on estacada so I guess depends on whether you count west slope as west of the cascades

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I've been using this one for Oregon/Washington fires

https://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx

HashtagGirlboss posted:

You mean in the coast range? Because the 2020 Labor Day fires got all the way close to Salem and right up on estacada so I guess depends on whether you count west slope as west of the cascades

Yeah there have been plenty of wildfires west of the cascades in the past few years.

Shifty Nipples has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Oct 7, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
The hoh rainforest was on fire a few years back for like the whole summer.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

oh good. we're already there then lol

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

TehSaurus posted:

We are trying to move to Vermont and I’m definitely looking forward to the weird looks I get when I start prepping things up there for the inevitable fire season.

If VT is like any of forested New England I’m familiar with they’ll probably just think you’re having a hard time getting the lumberers to show up and clear cut everything.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

The hoh rainforest was on fire a few years back for like the whole summer.

I went to the Hoh this year at the very end of august and it was wild. Just the hall of mosses didn’t go into the back country, but every other time I’ve been there in the past has been late June or early august. It was a completely different experience this time. Everything was brown and dry, no constant drips, no mist. Just wrong. Also the only time I’ve ever been to lake quinault where it wasn’t completely socked in

It’s sad. There’s a lot of magical places in the pnw and I’m not excited to see what an LA style climate does to them

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't disagree, and I have a pretty vivid imagination.

In 1840 the east coast of Vancouver Island burned from Nanaimo to Comox, which would be around 850,000 acres. That was primarily an understorey burn in an old growth forest, which the old Douglas Fir with their thick bark would be adapted for. Every fire season now I try to get my head around that area burning again with the fire up in the canopy going through all those dead cedars. :stare:

das hipster posted:

In the future the PNW will still get the same amount of rain per year, but now it will all fall in the month of November.

The first delayed fall rain I really remember was in November, 2014. I had a horse die suddenly, a virus that just made his stablemate sick with the flu for a night but killed him with his pre-existing liver condition. The first storm of the fall came through as I was digging his grave and winching him into it after sunset. Covered in mud at the bottom of a dark hole with a dead horse in it when the atmospheric river hits, listening to the trees thrash around you really makes you question your life choices.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Using Aug 1 as the start of the wet season, the latest Seattle has had a day with 0.25"+ was Oct 20 in 1974. Recent late starts were 2012 (Oct 14) and 2017 (Oct 12). The average date over the last 30 years is Aug 30.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

SirPablo posted:

Using Aug 1 as the start of the wet season, the latest Seattle has had a day with 0.25"+ was Oct 20 in 1974. Recent late starts were 2012 (Oct 14) and 2017 (Oct 12). The average date over the last 30 years is Aug 30.

The wet season in your moms house starts whenever someone knocks on the door

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SirPablo posted:

Where’s this info at? I’d like to see Portland and Vancouver BC

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

:lmao:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Where’s this info at? I’d like to see Portland and Vancouver BC

I can't readily access Vancouver. Here's Portland...

Using Aug 1 as the start of the wet season, the latest Portland has had a day with 0.25"+ was Oct 20 in 1974. Recent late starts were 2012 (Oct 14) and 2014 (Sep 23). The average date over the last 30 years is Sep 4.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Yea I try not to order from Amazon too much.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SirPablo posted:

I can't readily access Vancouver. Here's Portland...

Using Aug 1 as the start of the wet season, the latest Portland has had a day with 0.25"+ was Oct 20 in 1974. Recent late starts were 2012 (Oct 14) and 2014 (Sep 23). The average date over the last 30 years is Sep 4.

Interesting. Wonder if we can break it this year

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

slave to my cravings posted:

if you plan ahead, you’re prepared when things happen

:hmmyes:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Interesting. Wonder if we can break it this year

Quite possible. Right now, looks like almost no chance until at least the 17th.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

it's some fuckin bullshit i tell you hwhat

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

bring back the flood of '96

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I feel like such a limp moron watering my plants man.

I gotta get a drip irrigation system set up if this is gonna be our future.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

I feel like such a limp moron watering my plants man.

I gotta get a drip irrigation system set up if this is gonna be our future.

I have pretty good luck with soaker hoses. Less efficient than drip, but also a lot less work to get up and running. Gotta change them out every so often, but mine have always lasted at least a few years.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm sorry, it's us, we have all your rain

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1577854772660490240

would you like it back now?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Helith posted:

I'm sorry, it's us, we have all your rain

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1577854772660490240

would you like it back now?

yes please tyvm you can set it on the porch if I’m not home

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Its wetter down under ya oval office

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Its wetter down under ya oval office

For some reason my brain wanted to try to read that to the tune and meter of under the sea

These Disney remakes are getting really abstract

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
I don’t normally trust a lot of 10 day forecasts but lol the current forecast for the area here on the 16th is 80F so I think we have pretty good odds on beating the 17th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

HashtagGirlboss posted:

For some reason my brain wanted to try to read that to the tune and meter of under the sea

These Disney remakes are getting really abstract

because it's better down where it's wetter