Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love that moon domination map where everyone on my team fights and loses 4v2 on A while the rest of the enemy team is sitting on C chilling out and relaxing as their objective % ticks up, it's so cool that everyone funnels through the middle for no good reason instead of just keeping to their side all the way to the objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's been weeks what do I have to do to evolve Gundam into Gundang

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Domination is absolutely the worst mode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

domination is the best mode, it's cool and good that fights reset to neutral frequently. it's too bad the overtime mechanic throws that away and that the moon map's design apparently triggers the "completely ignore the objective" player behavior way harder than any other map

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the worst mode is "playing on harbor"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The worst mode is Rush or whichever it is that you capture A then B with a waypoint spawn because all the points are inevitably in the worst conceivable spots for each map

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Domination is by far my favorite mode because it's chaotic and fluid and has a lot of opportunities for two evenly matched teams to turn the game around on each other, compared to the capture/bomb plant modes which are a lot more static.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
idk how anyone can like domination when the maps are usually designed with at least one or two points that are borderline impossible to actually lose once secure if your team isn't leaving the point completely unguarded, especially when combined with the fact that the RNG often has the goal just jump between two points rather than cycle through all three. I love to do the lunar map and get nothing but A and C. Not even being sarcastic, gently caress B; A and C are so secure once your team grabs them you can just hunker down and win the match.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Yeah the end-of-match on domination really invalidates its strengths.

The other objective issue that rankles me, if much more mildly, is that a team can win a destruction match even if neither team blew up a single objective

It feels to reward cheese a bit too much; if my team failed to reach the objective, the other can auto-win if a flier ever decided to just hop over to the objective and instantly died after planting.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like domination because it's the best mode for sneaking behind the enemy team and shooting them in the back

the offense/defense maps tend to force players into chokes with limited flanking routes but domination maps are all flanks all the time baby

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In my experience domination matches could end on literally the first point capture and make absolutely no difference from wasting the full time. It's a mode that just extends a lovely losing feeling.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

chumbler posted:

In my experience domination matches could end on literally the first point capture and make absolutely no difference from wasting the full time. It's a mode that just extends a lovely losing feeling.

I turned one around in overtime to win 100 to 99.9 as Methuss by contesting the point against the entire enemy team by being an annoying fly above their heads. I got shot down right as the rest of my team arrived

Usually that doesn't happen though lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

chumbler posted:

It REALLY does not need to be 2 rounds, at least in casual.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Domination is easily the game type that I see the most reversals and back and forths on

loving moon map being the exception

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

if the enemy team has a remotely competent barbatos the game just instantly becomes unfun to play, period. this poo poo needs toned down somehow, christ.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Maps affect it too. If there's a lot of tight corridors with turns a barbatos can ambush you from a competent barbatos loving sucks to fight even if you know how to counter them. In more open rooms where you can dash in more than 2 directions a good barb can be somewhat fun to fight, but a great barb will probably elect to simply not fight you there.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Exactly. It's so mobile that a decent Barbatos can dictate exactly when and where the fight starts and ends, and even if you avoid the two stuns it can rather easily gently caress off into the mists to gank someone else. Unless you have an equally good player on your team dedicated to hunting it down and shutting it out, it's got all the control, and that's bullshit.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Barb isn't too bad to deal with. He has to get directly on top of you to do his thing and his charging is super loud and telegraphed. If he doesn't assassinate you he can be kited extremely hard due to his dashes covering a poor amount of distance and most suits can just shred him apart. Zaku II R completely loving obliterates him in any circumstance except for a total gank just by backdashing and shredding him with a machine gun until he either flees or dies. RX-78 can also completely pulverize him no problem.

Exia is significantly more dangerous then Barb just because of how much better his gap closers are and significantly superior ability to disengage.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah that's all true but Exia feels fun to play against whereas it's a chore to deal with Barby. That's the problem, it's not a fun suit to play against.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Rabbi Tupac posted:

Yeah that's all true but Exia feels fun to play against whereas it's a chore to deal with Barby. That's the problem, it's not a fun suit to play against.

Pretty much this. I don't see Exia coming at me and sigh because if it fucks up it's probably going to eat poo poo and if it doesn't gently caress up then the person is actually playing it with some skill. Barbatos has neither of those.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

What is the best Gundam game for someone who has never watched or played Gundam but might play Gundam after watching a Gundam

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

galenanorth posted:

What is the best Gundam game for someone who has never watched or played Gundam but might play Gundam after watching a Gundam

This game is Gundam Overwatch pretty much straight up. If you have a ps4 then MBON and Gundam Versus are options, they're more like arcade fighters in a 2v2 format with a bunch of arcane mechanics and huge rosters. MBON is the more popular one as far as I know, but Versus has some differences mechanically, might be dead though. If you want strategy, it's not exclusively gundam but the Super Robot Wars series has a lot of gundam representation among other mecha shows (and some non-mecha shows). Don't buy the new Gundam Breaker since it's apparently bad.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Depends on what you like. If you like action games that are single player and (relatively) mindless, grab one of the Dynasty Warriors Gundam games. If you like strategy tactics RPGs and such grab SD Gundam G Generation Crossrays or perhaps Super Robot Wars 30, though that has far far more robot shows in it than just Gundams (fun though). If you enjoy team based multiplayer stuff you have the FPS choice (this game, obviously), or if you have a newer console, Gundam Battle Operation 2, which is an over the shoulder game that plays closer to Armored Core (slow and clunkier, you can get out and do stuff on foot her and there, etc). Those are the major ones off the top of my head available relatively easily in western markets.

edit: Oh yeah, and Gundam vs Gundam Maxiboost, which is a 2v2 arena battler but I have very very limited experience with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Maxiboost is awesome but unless you have a crew the game is basically dead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

console versions of the gundam versus series are basically a version or two behind the arcade versions and a new arcade version came out so hopefully we should get a new console game soon

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

listening for the barb charge has started becoming second nature to me (honestly i quite appreciate how much you can get out of listening for sounds in this game) but like if you hear it coming and you're in a tight corridor you're still going to get wrecked, and if the solution is to not enter those areas of the map it loving sucks that barb shuts down a ton of the possible map routes just by existing

it is really loving funny seeing one charging and just entering fly mode as asshimar and hovering over it for a little while though. smart barbs just leave, or don't bother to charge you in the first place if they can't catch you by surprise

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 7, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

listening for the barb charge has started becoming second nature to me (honestly i quite appreciate how much you can get out of listening for sounds in this game) but like if you hear it coming and you're in a tight corridor you're still going to get wrecked, and if the solution is to not enter those areas of the map it loving sucks that barb shuts down a ton of the possible map routes just by existing

Exactly, like I said, that's my problem! It just shits on so much of the design by virtue of being there. I can't count the number of times I've even managed to dodge out of the way and get it to like 5% and then it just escapes cause now I need to refill my gun and there's NO loving QUICK MELEE EVERY SINGLE PLAYABLE BUT THE GUNTANK HAS A BEAM SABER OR HEAT HAWK loving GIVE ME A QUICK MELEE YOU BASTARDS yes i am mad

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Versus has an incredibly high skill floor and there's a handful of people who play it and they've all been playing since the aughts. You'll be swan diving into a woodchipper without a friend who can coach you.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

galenanorth posted:

Gundam Crossfire

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Kitfox88 posted:

Pretty much this. I don't see Exia coming at me and sigh because if it fucks up it's probably going to eat poo poo and if it doesn't gently caress up then the person is actually playing it with some skill. Barbatos has neither of those.

If you see Barbatos coming at you, it's already hosed up

It's not any faster than you are and its jump is super telegraphed

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Marx Headroom posted:

Versus has an incredibly high skill floor and there's a handful of people who play it and they've all been playing since the aughts. You'll be swan diving into a woodchipper without a friend who can coach you.
honestly versus isnt too bad to get a grip on its just the only people still playing mbon are killers. but when it was more active it wasnt too hard to get going with just a few youtube tutorials and a bit of practice.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

If you see Barbatos coming at you, it's already hosed up

It's not any faster than you are and its jump is super telegraphed

unfortunately, sometimes you see it coming when you've just blown all your dashes or have been backed into a corner. i think good barbs like to hang around the corners near health packs to catch you in situations like this, the same way DOMs can dump their landmines on top of health packs to kill low hp fleeing enemies

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I cant believe I havent heard of Gundam Battle Operation 2, I cant wait for it to come out on pc...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Buschmaki posted:

I cant believe I havent heard of Gundam Battle Operation 2, I cant wait for it to come out on pc...

There was supposed to be a network test like 2 months ago that never actually became functional and it's been total radio silence since :(

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

galenanorth posted:

As someone who recently got into Gundam after a friend had me try Battle Operation 2, I would suggest Gundam Breaker 3 on PS4. It is a PVE game where you build Gunpla models, break other Gunpla with them, and use their parts to make even cooler Gunpla. It's kind of a braindead dynasty warriors style game but the amount of attack, skill, and stat customization makes for a real fun grinding to make numbers go up game. Assuming you're in NA, there's no NA release so you will have to import the perfectly useable english version from Singapore if you want to try it.

If you have a PS4 or 5, Battle Operation 2 is an interesting slower paced shooter where the mechs actually feel stompy and things like turn speed are based on mobile suit stats instead of option settings. It can be very frustrating to play since the game is very stun heavy. It is playable online without paying for PS+ which is a nice bonus. Unfortunately, it is also a gacha game. I played for a little over a month and got a decent roster of suits going just by doing my dailies, but if you find a suit that looks cool and you want to get it, good luck shelling out for loot boxes.

The only Gundam game on Steam I am familiar with is New Gundam Breaker, and it is not good. They went in a new direction from Breaker 3 to what appears to be MOBA inspired. You have to walk around each level and blow up boxes to get XP just to unlock the skills you equipped on your custom Gunpla and it doesn't feel fun. The lock on system also locks on to all of these boxes. It can be disabled in options but locking onto enemies still feels janky at best. I still bought it on super cheap sale to try and clear it but I never feel motivated to play it.

I'm planning on getting SD Alliance on steam when it eventually goes on sale for super cheap, but based on the PS4 demo and the reviews it's a very shallow grindy game which I can't justify spending $60 on.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Finally unlocked Unicorn and its Beam Gatling is perfect.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kitfox88 posted:

There was supposed to be a network test like 2 months ago that never actually became functional and it's been total radio silence since :(

Two months? Hahahahahaha the network test happened in April. :smithicide:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Kanos posted:

Two months? Hahahahahaha the network test happened in April. :smithicide:

it hurts so bad

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

Finally unlocked Unicorn and its Beam Gatling is perfect.

Yeah it feels like it only has 2/3rds the DPS of the Pale Rider but it's high magazine means if you've got consistent aim and tracking then you're a real threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Gunning down barb's that just charge right at you with the beam gatling never stops being the most satisfying thing in the game.