Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So is this is the equivalent to IBM's input into the German government in the mid 20th century?

[edit] 190 - The top score when you cheat at darts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thanks Jacob https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1578135758040403971

Thacob

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Baroness Neville-Rolfe's dad is a director of Odey asset and Odey wealth management LTD's. Surely that's just a coincidence, right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why is Truss ideologically opposed to saving energy?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Because using less energy would mean energy companies earn less money

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Guavanaut posted:

Gubbermint can't tell me how to live my life :byodame:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But... she is the government :psyduck:

I figure it's got to be several levels more stupid than either. Something like more energy = more growth, so buying energy efficient lightbulbs and heat pumps is somehow anti-growth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's either that she wants them to make more money because trickle down, or she really believes you can get through this with the power (heh) of positive thinking. Either way she's evil and incredibly stupid.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I imagine it's as simple as "does it own the libs y/n"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1578392791356407808

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Just lol at the thought of the PM trying to stop JRM from doing something potentially useful for once in his life

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
This is conservative endgame, just endless gaslighting and slashing of welfare budgets until there's nothing left but blood and ashes. Thankfully our great political system will ensure the pendulum swings back the other way and kier starmer will be able to- :suicide:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Guavanaut posted:

Liz Truss rolling coal in the royal yacht.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
The constant repeating that she doesn't want to tell anyone what to do is just making me believe the BDSM sub rumours even more.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

This is bad for Tramister Coburns

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ooh, he's my (lovely, massively in bed with the oil industry) MP, who was a protege of Owen Paterson and was previously suspended from Parliament for dodgy behaviour. Anyone know what he's been accused of?

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I get the sense that the pandemic and the government responses to it around the world really spooked the libertarian/small government/individualist crowd.

Firstly because it showed that there are some things that can't be solved by rational personal decision making and that sometimes a government might actually have to do something, and that undermines their entire worldview so nothing like that can ever happen again (the solution, not the problem, obvs!)

And secondly because of how many people - especially in the UK, the USA, Australia, NZ etc. - willingly and happily complied with what these types see as tyrannical government overreach. These were the ones in April 2020 banging on about how lockdowns may work for China or Italy but Anglo-Saxons have an innate love of liberty and would never accept being told when they could go to the shops or the park.

The fact that lots of people not only accept but expect the state to proactively manage society and deal with large-scale problems 'for the greater good' really threw these types off their kilter and now they're making sure that those sorts of people don't get used to the idea and don't get rewarded (as they see it) for not being entirely self-centred rugged individuals. So that means no government advise on saving energy, no advice to employers on how to deal with ill staff, no guidelines to schools on how to handle under-nourished kids or anything like that. Government can't do anything and shouldn't do anything - these people believe it and they're out to prove it.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/v_j_freeman/status/1578356077363462144

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
My best guess is Truss opposes what would be a helpful campaign purely for the optics, i.e. talking about the necessity of cutting energy consumption would make the U.K. look less strong and energy-secure.

No, she hasn’t yet contemplated the optics of rolling blackouts in the world’s fifth richest country.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Are they just imitating those public opinion columns from The Onion?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has to be pronounced as a word though, like Henry ViiiiiIiiiiIiiiiIiiiIiii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdSKT_8OfKg

otherwise children might ask what happened to the other seven, like with King Malcolm the Tenth.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
When we think about it, is there really evidence that any of this “history” actually happened? Just more woke liberal propaganda, like the titanic

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
STOP DOING MATH.jpg

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Education Sec by the end of the month.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

When we think about it, is there really evidence that any of this “history” actually happened? Just more woke liberal propaganda, like the titanic
This is actually true and good.
https://twitter.com/v_j_freeman/status/1578362242046705665

Presenting history as a bunch of things that just happened is useless and I can see why kids hate it unless it has some relevance (or they're especially interested in just so stories about fish people fighting the Irish, like David Cameron, but that's mythology). Teaching how to determine what most likely happened from a bunch of biased sources (i.e. all of them), how to use sources to put together a narrative, how to account for new information in developing a worldview, those were always part of my history lessons to some level or other, and are a good way of inoculating people against pseudohistory and the David Icke style "I meditated on this and found out the real truth, which just so happens to be a mishmash of the last three tv shows I watched plus a bunch of wank" of nonsense.

You could even do that with Henry Veeeee (Luther, the Reformation, power struggles with Rome, some monasteries being run like mafias and others just being influential enough to be inconvenient) or World War 2 (The Authoritarian Personality, Who Goes Nazi?, etc.) if you wanted, even though they're probably not the best case studies to use.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

I wonder if this has anything to do with the homophobic poo poo that occured during the lgbtq tory party they had

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Guavanaut posted:

You could even do that with Henry Veeeee (Luther, the Reformation, power struggles with Rome, some monasteries being run like mafias and others just being influential enough to be inconvenient) or World War 2 (The Authoritarian Personality, Who Goes Nazi?, etc.) if you wanted, even though they're probably not the best case studies to use.
"Who Goes Nazi" would definitely result in one kid being named the class Nazi forever. Or the class non-Nazi.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Teaching kids to evaluate sources and think for themselves?

In this country?!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

( like David Cameron, but that's mythology).

I'm afraid he's very real. I take no pleasure in reporting this

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Payndz posted:

Ooh, he's my (lovely, massively in bed with the oil industry) MP, who was a protege of Owen Paterson and was previously suspended from Parliament for dodgy behaviour. Anyone know what he's been accused of?
a 'a complaint of serious misconduct' following on from 'allegations about his behaviour at its conference this week'. i'd guess some kind of upsetting sex-pestery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

But... she is the government :psyduck:

I figure it's got to be several levels more stupid than either. Something like more energy = more growth, so buying energy efficient lightbulbs and heat pumps is somehow anti-growth.

I think genuinely it is the same attitude that leads people to hate anything that stops people dying from covid, again there's a large contingent of people in the UK who absolutely hate the idea that they might be subject to the impositions of reality, while at the same time declaring that social constructs they happen to like are "just the way the world is" and telling everyone else they just have to deal with it.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Rarity posted:

This is an immediate sign to find a new job imo. If I'm going to have to go through the stress of a job application it should at least be for something that's better than where I'm at
Oh for sure, a lot of people did leave as a direct result who were a definite loss. I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing now but if they make us go through the process again I'm for sure re-examining options.

Microplastics posted:

If they offer a drink, take it. There is so much benefit to being asked a question while you're taking a sip so that you can start braining out your answer without it looking like a dumb awkward pause
It was a Teams interview but I did make sure to take pauses for sage thought and contemplation.

Not that it helped as they were clearly looking for someone with a different skillset to me :v: I'm not too annoyed, at least it's practice.

Microplastics posted:

Also

It pays to prepare and memorise a crib sheet with common interview questions, here's an example of mine (the blank bits are when i tailor it to a particular application)

This is actually pretty useful!

Though most of my day is spent dealing with less technically able staff members, so I'm definitely not stealing these answers...

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SoozUK/status/1578355493609037831

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Not bad, just went on the Octopus site to input this week's readings and the govt £66 was added a couple of days ago.

So added to the bit of credit I already had on there, they've let me ask for £75 back! Basically, they're keeping back the estimated max month from the last 12 months.

Also, my typical daily usage has dropped by about half a unit a day since early September and is still dropping. I put this down to:

(a) my bathroom extractor fan is on the blink (no window) and makes this horrible grinding noise. It works on the same circuit as the overhead light so for the past few weeks I've been mostly using a weirdly placed 'shaving' light (long fluorescent tube - it's at the back of the bathroom, has a shaver point, but you'd have to stand in the bath to have a shave - yes I know the people who sold me the flat got the cowboys in. Something to sort out another day). I just run the extractor while I'm actually in the shower and until the condensation has gone from the mirrors.

(b) I made a 'tertiary insulation' panel to go over my bedroom window and put it up just over a week ago - it's an acetate panel which I have set on a wooden frame and edged with magnetic tape to grip onto the magnetic surround (already there to hold the midge mesh panels in the summer) and covers the opening leaf of the window which yes is double-glazed but still a bit draughty. Haven't moved it since I put it up. My flat is small enough that opening the living room window and having a fan running for 30 mins or so gives a good air change.

I've almost finished making a panel for the living room window which has the same problem re draught. I'm thinking that I will probably take it down during the day and put back up at dusk to allow bit of air through the flat.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Biggus Dickus posted:

In my experience, HMRC are very easy to talk to over the phone. YMMV.

Self-assessment is pretty easy unless you get into the realms of depreciation on equipment and other allowances, at which point you may want to pay a grownup. I did mine every year, never had an issue.

I changed to a Limited Company though, and now have PAYE, VAT and Corporation Tax as *well* as depreciation and more, so we pay an accountant. We still have some SA in the mix as Mrs Dickus rents out her house and I have a small sideline. For us, we have our company income as usual, then HRMC will send us a bill after submitting our SA.

Ah, so self assessment is where I'd do silly poo poo like claim a car as a business expense if I was set up as a contractor with my own limited company doing freelance work or something?

I think I am gonna need to download the form in advance or something to find out just what it is i'm gonna be asked if there's stuff like equipment and depreciation. I though it would just be questions like "how much did you earn" and "how much are you claiming in benefits".

Zalakwe posted:

We're actually in the process of moving back to near Edinburgh having lived in London for years and think the prices of the new builds are totally crazy. As you say I would pay £300k for one but nearly £700k would just be bananas. Even if someone would give us the cash we would still be scraping coppers together on our deathbeds. There just aren't the jobs to pay for it, even very senior jobs don't pay enough. It's pretty much an inheritance only game at the moment and I think a big "correction" is very likely.

In the end we've gone for a place that needs absolutely everything done to it, are very glad we did, very lucky to have found it, and very privileged to be able to do so at all (someone died).

We actually lucked out with the new build we found. It is pretty far out from Edinburgh, but the bus terminus to my village is part of the front of the estate (1-minute walk from my front door) and the local train station is a 7 minute walk away.

The whole WFH thing has meant I don't have to commute into the city anymore, but when I did it was super straightforward and just a matter of sitting my arse on a single bus or train and getting into the city centre 40 minutes to an hour later.

I had a look at some of the houses about 15 minutes closer near Dalkeith and not only did their price jump up by a good £200k, but It would actually take longer to get into the city because of the extra effort involved in getting to the nearest bus or railway station.

xtothez posted:

Are you doing some kind of salary sacrifice or making increased pension contributions? That can help mitigate child benefit repayments.

Last year I passed the threshold for child benefit and increased my pension contributions. Had to do my first self assessment this summer, and was expecting HMRC to hit me with a bill because I'd miscalculated something. Turns out that they owed me some money because PAYE hadn't been taxing me properly with the increased pension payments. Then they sent a tax code amendment to my employer to fix it for 2022/23.

I think by default I give up 3% of my salary for pension and my company gives 5%. I've just passed my probation period so only just got the pension info to look at, but I'll check in on that.

I was planning on matching my employer as a minimum, but also didn't start my pension until I was 28, so kind of want to overpay slightly to make up for whatever a shortfall might be from not having the pension for those first 12 years of minimum wage employment. Unless that's a loving stupid idea as that would equate to covering a £100k gap or something.

Checking what level my pension is at is also something I should probably do. I've left my company pensions schemes running on autopilot, only matching the employer's max contribution (5%) for the last 12 years.

Kin fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 7, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

(a) my bathroom extractor fan is on the blink (no window) and makes this horrible grinding noise. It works on the same circuit as the overhead light so for the past few weeks I've been mostly using a weirdly placed 'shaving' light (long fluorescent tube - it's at the back of the bathroom, has a shaver point, but you'd have to stand in the bath to have a shave - yes I know the people who sold me the flat got the cowboys in. Something to sort out another day). I just run the extractor while I'm actually in the shower and until the condensation has gone from the mirrors.
Shaft bearing, it's possible it just needs lubricating but more likely that it just needs chucking.

You can get low voltage ones for bathrooms (SELV) that are safe to change out yourself. It's usually only a matter of a few screws to change them anyway but mains + bathroom hazards.

OwlFancier posted:

I think genuinely it is the same attitude that leads people to hate anything that stops people dying from covid, again there's a large contingent of people in the UK who absolutely hate the idea that they might be subject to the impositions of reality, while at the same time declaring that social constructs they happen to like are "just the way the world is" and telling everyone else they just have to deal with it.
Yeah it's boilerplate Rhetoric Of Reaction, of this type:
https://twitter.com/yurirando/status/1577801327337672704

It's interesting exactly what stories people tell themselves as to why such a thing would be the case though, from like the "seatbelts would make people drive like maniacs, killing more" to whatever is in the howling void of Liz Truss' head that comes up with "energy savings are against my ideology."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kin posted:

I think I am gonna need to download the form in advance or something to find out just what it is i'm gonna be asked if there's stuff like equipment and depreciation. I though it would just be questions like "how much did you earn" and "how much are you claiming in benefits".

You don't need to prepare in advance, just open it up have a browse and save a draft if you get stuck. It gives you a list of questions and if most of your answers are 'no' you fill in a handful of boxes and it's done. Far easier to parse than the big paper form.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Someone on here the other day was asking about the Major years in the 90s and it absolutely does feel like we are in those times again. We’re at the point that the Tory party is so hopelessly riddled in its own ideological confusion and corruption and perversion that even The Mail knows the game is up. The big difference to me is that people genuinely liked and put (misguided) faith in Blair, Prezza etc. whereas Kieth just now seems like a least worst option.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Microplastics posted:

I imagine it's as simple as "does it own the libs y/n"

Yeah it's that Donald Trump brand of "I don't care what's in the news so long as it's about me" politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

The big difference to me is that people genuinely liked and put (misguided) faith in Blair, Prezza etc. whereas Kieth just now seems like a least worst option.
And Major was the boring grey underpants man except when everyone kept having affairs, whereas Truss is like George W Bush with even less competent (but still evil) advisers.

So it's like the AI art horrorshow version.