Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I wanted to like this game so much but all the levels were designed by trolls. You can be extremely careful looking for each box to try and get the gem at the end but there will almost always be one or two that are hidden out of the camera frame or in places you would never find without a guide. Doesn't help that levels are much longer than the original games, it just got demoralizing going slowly trying to check every possible nook for boxes and then seeing 255/257 at the end anyway.

they took a look at that one box in 'cold hard crash' (if you know, you know) and made a whole game about it

i still liked it :) friggen hard trying to "100%" it though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Stux posted:

theyre fun

ftw

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jack Trades posted:

Collectathons suck rear end and always sucked rear end. The only reason why people still buy them is because they were stockholm syndrome'ed by them as children.

Stux posted:

theyre fun
The Duality of Man.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm a fan of games that give you a map marker in the endgame that shows all the collectible locations. Ori and the Blind Forest did this and it basically opened a cool puzzle game mode where I knew the locations of the last orbs and I had to figure out how the hell I was gonna get to them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As a suggestion, I'd recommend the slave start in Kenshi if you've got a lot of patience. Here's how it goes:

1: You start out as a slave in chains working in a quarry. In the daytime, do your best to pick the locks on your chains, or if you've got some Youtubes to watch, just let the usual daytime cycle of your character doing slave things play out (it's all automated unless you do something to break the AI routines, like picking a fight with the guards).
1a: If you get your chains off, carry them on your character. They're extremely heavy and will help you with both strength and speed training. Best of all, if a guard sees you with your chains off, they'll just slap a new pair on you!
1b: Also, your character will have a persistent 'near-starving' status effect. In Kenshi this is good, because debuffs speed up your stat growth.

2: At night, keep trying to pick the locks on your chains and on your cell door. Keep trying to pick fights with any guards who see you, preferably while you're weighed down by chains and hunger. If you defeat a guard, leave them and their weapons- unarmed combat is the most hilariously OP form of combat in Kenshi.

3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 until sufficiently swole. Once your character can run while being overloaded with chains might be a good benchmark. Another good benchmark is if your character punches off a guard's limbs while fighting them.

4: Lead a slave revolt and use your massive lockpick skills to free your buds. Some freed slaves might want to stay in the quarry, some will follow you to the quarry's entrance, where it's another random chance for some of them to stay with you.

5: ???

6: Kenshi.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

CommissarMega posted:

As a suggestion, I'd recommend the slave start in Kenshi if you've got a lot of patience. Here's how it goes:

1: You start out as a slave in chains working in a quarry. In the daytime, do your best to pick the locks on your chains, or if you've got some Youtubes to watch, just let the usual daytime cycle of your character doing slave things play out (it's all automated unless you do something to break the AI routines, like picking a fight with the guards).
1a: If you get your chains off, carry them on your character. They're extremely heavy and will help you with both strength and speed training. Best of all, if a guard sees you with your chains off, they'll just slap a new pair on you!
1b: Also, your character will have a persistent 'near-starving' status effect. In Kenshi this is good, because debuffs speed up your stat growth.

2: At night, keep trying to pick the locks on your chains and on your cell door. Keep trying to pick fights with any guards who see you, preferably while you're weighed down by chains and hunger. If you defeat a guard, leave them and their weapons- unarmed combat is the most hilariously OP form of combat in Kenshi.

3: Repeat steps 1 and 2 until sufficiently swole. Once your character can run while being overloaded with chains might be a good benchmark. Another good benchmark is if your character punches off a guard's limbs while fighting them.

4: Lead a slave revolt and use your massive lockpick skills to free your buds. Some freed slaves might want to stay in the quarry, some will follow you to the quarry's entrance, where it's another random chance for some of them to stay with you.

that all sounds terrible

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/srgmMIB.mp4

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

CommissarMega posted:

This sounds amazing

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RandomBlue posted:

that all sounds terrible

Oh it is, but like everyone who likes Kenshi said, it's a special kind of terrible. There's nothing quite like watching your weedy dude turn into the Incredible Hulk (seriously, your character model updates), and that moment when you finally let loose with 0.0001% of your power, and watch your lone dude liberate a slave camp in a hail of other peoples' flying limbs is goddamn amazing :allears:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol i'm gonna try to play Kenshi again god drat you all

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Squiggle posted:

Absolutely, yes, and it also made me love ambiguousamphibian.

The torso solo run is riveting.

This is so great, thanks

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

This seems like something that is amazing to talk about on the forums, but extremely boring and uninteresting to actually play through.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

RandomBlue posted:

that all sounds terrible

I mean it's probably not that fun (never did slave start myself), but Kenshi is a game where losing is actually fun and is a huge part of the game.

Racing games could learn a lot from Kenshi.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kenshi is cool, but if you get tired of grinding up your stats every new game its really easy to just edit your save and start with bigger numbers

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

noblemen trying to compete at the harvest festival? oh that's adorable

PEASANT COMING THROUGH

you have never even seen a crop, noblemen

you are nothing

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe I should give Kenshi another go

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

There's nothing quite like watching your weedy dude turn into the Incredible Hulk (seriously, your character model updates)

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

Ah yes, the Wheel of Pain method.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Oh it is, but like everyone who likes Kenshi said, it's a special kind of terrible. There's nothing quite like watching your weedy dude turn into the Incredible Hulk (seriously, your character model updates), and that moment when you finally let loose with 0.0001% of your power, and watch your lone dude liberate a slave camp in a hail of other peoples' flying limbs is goddamn amazing :allears:

This is sincerely kind of what I meant with my action figure comparison. Kenshi is a game where you have action figures and a playset and the action figures are fuckin' cool and have karate chop action and fireable missiles and can transform into robots. But most of the actual stuff that happens in the story going on with those action figures is all imaginary. If you can have fun taking cool things and playing around w/ them to tell your own story Kenshi is probably up your alley. But as far as an actual game goes, it's pretty bad, because that karate chop action and fireable missiles and robot transformation that the characters have are all that's actually going on.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

K8.0 posted:

I mean it's probably not that fun (never did slave start myself), but Kenshi is a game where losing is actually fun and is a huge part of the game.

Racing games could learn a lot from Kenshi.

if I can't first place every race why am I even playing?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

His fuckin bones got swoler

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no, stuff really happens and more than in most games. there is a real and appreciable impact on the world as a direct result of the players actions. there is a very involved amount of lore and writing within the game explaining its world and the various characters and their motivations. as a game, it is particularly unique in the flexibility and depth of its various mechanics and how they interact. it requires a large effort on the part of the player to uncover most of this, and to a passing evaluation it may appear to lack what those who have dug in sing so loudly about. however, it is there in actuality.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Jack Trades posted:

Collectathons suck rear end and always sucked rear end. The only reason why people still buy them is because they were stockholm syndrome'ed by them as children.

Stux posted:

theyre fun
The funniest thing about this is I could support both arguments with examples from the same team at the same studio within the same console generation.

RandomBlue posted:

if I can't first place every race why am I even playing?
You jest, and yet most racing games I've played (mostly kart racers) unironically bake this into their design. Whether in a series of races because the AI is always weighted such that the forerunners will almost always place in the same order, making it impossible to eat more than one 2nd-place finish and still prevail, or in single races where literally anything other than first place is a loss and you have to try again.

MonkeyforaHead fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 7, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jack Trades posted:

this pervasive idea that Something Is Wrong with somebody because they like a type of game is getting extremely loving old

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ciaphas posted:

this pervasive idea that Something Is Wrong with somebody because they like a type of game is getting extremely loving old

Well either it's this or you're just not playing the game right, so I mean, who's to say who's right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:mad:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Is it really? I mean, have you ever talked to a person that's really into those anime gachas?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haul the goal post back further, jack, it's not off the cliff yet

but to answer your question, no, closest is a coworker who was (is? they left a few months back) really into genshin impact

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
If it is an attempt at comedy, it sucks real bad. If it is a sincerely held belief, you're really loving weird and should probably stop posting if this is the best you got.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This tweet was deleted so I have no idea what people are arguing about

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Is it really? I mean, have you ever talked to a person that's really into those anime gachas?
yes and yes

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

i have

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This tweet was deleted so I have no idea what people are arguing about

Crash 4 coming to Steam instead of being a Battlenet exclusive.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I liked 100%ing the Spyro 1 remake and collectathons have never been my thing.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Not really into collectathons either, but found A Hat In Time exceptional. No idea what the authors are doing now, but I sure hope they make a sequel at some point.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
I'm finally getting to the 2018 God of War game and that has made finding collectables fun. Really the only kind I hate are Ubisoft ones that are just littered about as if trying to put in more than Banjo Kazooie.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

As a heads up. you can get Placescape: Torment Enhanced edition and Icewind Dale: Enhanced edition for $1.

I never played the original Icewind Dale. Its basically Badlur's Gate with twice as many enemies on much smaller maps. Adventure and enemies around every corner! No, really, EVERY corner.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I never played the original Icewind Dale. Its basically Badlur's Gate with twice as many enemies on much smaller maps. Adventure and enemies around every corner! No, really, EVERY corner.

IWD is Baldur's Gate without the choices. It sounds bad, but it's actually pretty good as long as you know you're getting into a linear dungeon crawler. The combat encounters manage to be challenging all the way through, there are some boss fights that will have you retry a lot and play with all your tools between spells, consumables, placement, kiting, bodyblocking... And the areas are beautiful and surprisingly varied.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

what if the type of game is war games, where the only winning move is to not play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

GreenBuckanneer posted:

In different news, tales of symphonia needs an auto text advance. Yes I know it's an 18 year old game. I don't care.

When I played it on the GameCube it bugged out and played the entire ending cutscene sequence on fast-forward.

I woulda liked the text to NOT auto-advance, frankly!