Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Turtles are very dense yes, tortoises more so because they don't have to float or swim. But I agree, that looks pretty small. Even comparing it's size to that hoist, and it's in the foreground by a few feet.

From a post I made a while back about handling big alligator snappers:

I don't recall us catching any turtles much bigger than 100# when I did this and there were some big fuckers.

I dunno though now that I look at it some more, maybe it is closer to 200. An alligator snapper with a 30" carapace is around 175#. That thing could be 3 feet long.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Last page, but I work with sea turtles during the spring/summers. One that size would probably weigh 250-300lbs, and be a 4-person lift. Last one of those I did, I came away with some nice welts/bruising from where she slapped the poo poo out of my leg. Here’s an example of one from last year (we had 4 that we found like this):

We managed to get her back over the dune without having to lift her into a truck, but that was probably more work than just loading her up and being done with it. 3 of us were completely smoked after she tried to walk back up the dune, and we decided to help her along the way (we didn’t have enough people available to safely lift her/unload her on the nearest beach).

You guys are awesome, thank you.

If Fromsoft made an OSHA Soulsborne this would be a mid to late game area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whipstickagostop
Apr 30, 2006

Planet: Xeno Prime

Where they keep yer mum

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Whipstickagostop posted:

Where they keep yer mum

yeah but its natural, didn't need no microwave

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ChesterJT posted:

I think it is pretty obvious he was joking.

:thejoke: usually applies to me.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

mischief posted:

He does appear to be wearing some form of PPE so that helps but you can get burned impressively quickly.

I imagine face-bonk dude probably also has broken legs (or some legendary bruising) given how big that thing was.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

mischief posted:

I bounced the inside of my arm off a salamander one night and it absolutely burned it on contact. You could smell it almost instantly. It wasn't any kind of full thickness and it only took a little while to heal but I still have scars from it.

I've got a scar on each forearm just from a regular electric home oven.

managed never to burn myself on the electric kiln, partly bc I don't gently caress with anything in there until it's down to like 300F

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Hell yeah lights on for safety

Courtesy of my favorite OSHA violatin channel HickHub lol

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

holtemon posted:

Hell yeah lights on for safety

Courtesy of my favorite OSHA violatin channel HickHub lol

you need that much light to find your micropeen

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rjefq0OVDO1r0uzl6.mp4

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Atticus_1354 posted:

Tortoise are turtles.

iwentdoodie posted:

Tortoises are turtles

Edit: you fucker
A quick check of wiki....

quote:

In North America, it may denote the order as a whole.

In Britain, the name is used for sea turtles as opposed to freshwater terrapins and land-dwelling tortoises.

In Australia, which lacks true tortoises (family Testudinidae), non-marine turtles were traditionally called tortoises, but more recently turtle has been used for the entire group.
God dammit.... you know what this means... A recipe for cooking the fuckers is going to be REALLY confusing....

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

When you're late to the gangbang but you don't want it to be a wasted trip.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So help me continue to understand this gasoline vapour thing: It becomes more dangerous the longer you leave poured gasoline, because it evaporates and the vapours can cause a larger ignition? Is there a relatively safe way to use gasoline to start an outdoor fire? Last time I was at the cottage, we poured a few ounces into an empty beer can and put it in the center of the fire pit (throwing matches and lit kindling into it to get it ignited), because the logs were too wet to catch with tinder and kindling alone and we didn't have any lighter fluid. If we had left the gas in the beer can for a while, would the vapours have accumulated enough to be a serious hazard?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
you just need to use very little gas, and do everything possible to decant some then place it, not spill any on you, ignite it remotely, and have the rest of the gas nowhere near the area.

but really gas is explosive and that's why it sucks to start fires with, you need lighter fluid or something else.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

So help me continue to understand this gasoline vapour thing: It becomes more dangerous the longer you leave poured gasoline, because it evaporates and the vapours can cause a larger ignition? Is there a relatively safe way to use gasoline to start an outdoor fire? Last time I was at the cottage, we poured a few ounces into an empty beer can and put it in the center of the fire pit (throwing matches and lit kindling into it to get it ignited), because the logs were too wet to catch with tinder and kindling alone and we didn't have any lighter fluid. If we had left the gas in the beer can for a while, would the vapours have accumulated enough to be a serious hazard?

The safest way to start a fire with gasoline is to use kerosene or diesel instead. Gasoline fumes mixed with air is a bomb, that seeps into every nook and cranny prior to detonation.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
also if the gas can catches on fire, put it down gently instead of flailing it around to try and shake the flame out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Jabor posted:

also if the gas can catches on fire, put it down gently instead of flailing it around to try and shake the flame out.
I thought you were supposed to twirl, twirl, twirl your way towards freedom
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EveryCornyCero-mobile.mp4

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

wolrah posted:

Also alarm fatigue. Once you have enough equipment moving around in a given area it's just constant beeping from all directions and people start to tune it out, at which point you lose the benefit while still keeping the ear piercing (sometimes actually to a dangerous level) noise.

That's why the new thing is directional white noise reverse signals. They don't carry as far as the sine wave beep, so aren't creating as much of a hearing hazard / noise pollution, and they can be directional, so if you can hear one loudly, you know for sure you're in the way of the thing reversing.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Remember, gasoline is fuel for internal combustion engines. ICE work by creating little explosions in controlled areas and using the resulting force to shove a piston down. Gasoline is designed to explode when mixed with air and ignited.

Every one of those bonfire accidents are because people pour way too much gasoline on something and let it sit. At that point it's a fuel air bomb waiting to go off.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That's why the new thing is directional white noise reverse signals. They don't carry as far as the sine wave beep, so aren't creating as much of a hearing hazard / noise pollution, and they can be directional, so if you can hear one loudly, you know for sure you're in the way of the thing reversing.

I think it’s also easier to tell which direction the white noise sound is coming from vs a beep?

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

If you take half a beer can, fill it with gas, put that under your wood (beer can and all) and ignite it, you’ll probably be ok because only the vapor evaporating off the liquid will ignite, and there is relatively little surface area for evaporation to occur.

If you take that same half beer can of gas and dump it all in your fire pit or on the wood itself on a hot summer day and then go get a fresh cold one before you ignite the backyard bonfire, you might have a bad time.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

Remember, gasoline is fuel for internal combustion engines. ICE work by creating little explosions in controlled areas and using the resulting force to shove a piston down. Gasoline is designed to explode when mixed with air and ignited.

Every one of those bonfire accidents are because people pour way too much gasoline on something and let it sit. At that point it's a fuel air bomb waiting to go off.

The phenomenon in the video is pretty much the same as detonation or "knock" in an engine.
When the fuel and air ignites, it catches fire and expands rapidly. The fire makes it hot. The expansion makes the pressure increase. A property of this is that if there is enough heat and pressure, it can ignite without fire. Just outside the flame front, the edge of the fire, there can be another spontaneous ignition, which causes another ignition, and another and another until the whole thing ignites in an instant. And that's how the ignition becomes an explosion.

Counter intuitively a rich fuel condition, more gasoline vapors, reduces the risk of detonation. A lean fuel condition, less gasoline vapors, increases the risk of detonation. Engines control the amount of fuel and air in the engine to control the ignition and prevent detonation. You can't really control the amount of air and fuel in a bonfire, even if it's in a small can, so good luck.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Lead out in cuffs posted:

That's why the new thing is directional white noise reverse signals.
Just someone reading my posts aloud while a truck backs up.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/0m71AD4.mp4

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mister Speaker posted:

So help me continue to understand this gasoline vapour thing: It becomes more dangerous the longer you leave poured gasoline, because it evaporates and the vapours can cause a larger ignition?

It's exactly the same way that a fuel-air bomb works.

https://youtu.be/EpGQ-2hMjN4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/7LIcLL4.mp4

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sammus posted:

If you take half a beer can, fill it with gas, put that under your wood (beer can and all) and ignite it, you’ll probably be ok because only the vapor evaporating off the liquid will ignite, and there is relatively little surface area for evaporation to occur.

Exactly what we did. I wasn't waiting to start that fire as it was cold and damp out. Seen enough videos of gas cans on fire to know at least to separate the act of pouring from that of lighting, but I'm glad the 'not waiting' part worked out too.

Salami Surgeon posted:

The phenomenon in the video is pretty much the same as detonation or "knock" in an engine.
When the fuel and air ignites, it catches fire and expands rapidly. The fire makes it hot. The expansion makes the pressure increase. A property of this is that if there is enough heat and pressure, it can ignite without fire. Just outside the flame front, the edge of the fire, there can be another spontaneous ignition, which causes another ignition, and another and another until the whole thing ignites in an instant. And that's how the ignition becomes an explosion.

Thanks, this is the part that I was having trouble wrapping my head around. I'm familiar with why gas in an engine effectively needs to be atomized by the carb or injector for ideal combustion, but the idea of an explosion in the open air was unclear until now. Fuel-air bombs make much more sense too, thanks Atticus.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Its also good to think that a gallon of gas has enough energy to push a 2000-3000 pound car 30-40 miles at highway speeds. Be careful with it!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrQwerty posted:

metal as gently caress, literally and figuratively

you want everything to be brightly well-lit while your primary job hazard is identifying glowing-hot metal?

The camera will dial down at the brightest light source, making everything else around look like nighttime.

If you’ve ever shot a flash-assisted photo indoors during the day, the flash will usually defeat sunlight & any windows in the background will be blacked out, as though its were nighttime. It’s a technical issue photographers//DPs deal with in film all of the time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Uthor posted:

Its also good to think that a gallon of gas has enough energy to push a 2000-3000 pound car 30-40 miles at highway speeds. Be careful with it!

And this is while burning it in an engine that wastes about four‐fifths of the energy as heat.

In your campfire, it’s all going to heat and light and hopefully not a shockwave.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

The safest way to start a fire with gasoline is to use kerosene or diesel instead.

This. Diesel is a pretty good accelerant. Gasoline is a good way to cause an accident.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

PainterofCrap posted:

The camera will dial down at the brightest light source, making everything else around look like nighttime.

If you’ve ever shot a flash-assisted photo indoors during the day, the flash will usually defeat sunlight & any windows in the background will be blacked out, as though its were nighttime. It’s a technical issue photographers//DPs deal with in film all of the time.

Also if that was an outdoor shot, a lot of foundries and furnaces run at night since electricity is cheaper then. And when you're using enough electricity to melt several tons of metal down you're going to want the cheapest power around.

But mainly as you said it's the digital camera trying to adjust the light to the point there's actually enough contrast to see what's going on while there's poo poo glowing bright as gently caress all around.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/CDmL3Ht_YMM

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah that's not actually what happened. It's a nice sounding theory but doesn't match up with reality.

Then enlighten us.

Don't just Kramer into the thread and say poo poo like "no, that's wrong", it makes you look like a tool.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Then enlighten us.

Don't just Kramer into the thread and say poo poo like "no, that's wrong", it makes you look like a tool.

You can start with the link that was already posted at the start of this conversation 2 days ago.

Platystemon posted:

Doubt has recently been cast on the evolutionary lag hypothesis.

Lots of coal is made from organisms that never had lignin.

Here's another link for you.

https://news.stanford.edu/news/2016/january/coal-formation-pangea-012216.html

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 8, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pangean equatorial zones were dank af and tectonically active.

Burying organic matter in dank conditions and bodyslamming it with rocks is a recipe for coal.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 8, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Dude looks very upset to be moved out of the way

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

This would be fun to recreate with stop-motion Lego and those little red Solo shot glasses

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

ilmucche posted:

Dude looks very upset to be moved out of the way

He's a moron, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

PainterofCrap posted:

Not to mention a lot of cameras detect more infrared than the human eye, making hot metal even brighter for them.