Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

salt shakeup posted:

This thread is full of luddites who don't understand crypto. Of course they are going to grumble about QR codes and "needing a smartphone" in 2022 and totally misunderstand the process lol.

Please tell us more about the merits of crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

salt shakeup posted:

This thread is full of luddites who don't understand crypto.

yeah, totally

salt shakeup posted:

$100,000 bitcoin by the end of the year. It's really that simple.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I would bet on $100k price, but at a volume of 4 coins being wash-traded by the final baghodlers for the rest of eternity

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

salt shakeup posted:

This thread is full of luddites who don't understand crypto. Of course they are going to grumble about QR codes and "needing a smartphone" in 2022 and totally misunderstand the process lol.

Bitcoin never made it $100k so can I punch you in the dick now?

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

salt shakeup posted:

Yes, YES, MORE!!!

I DEMAND MORE

e: and DVG0031 should catch a charge for felony murder for owning this dude so hard with so little effort

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the crypto understander is here to save the thread! maybe with a bitcoin $1M prediction this time!

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

the crypto understander is here to save the thread! maybe with a bitcoin $1M prediction this time!

someone chart his post history against btc price lol. i just went thru it and it's :discourse:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you'll have to suffer through a bunch of him saying "poggers" though

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

someone chart his post history against btc price lol. i just went thru it and it's :discourse:

I did a quick look and it’s only been above 20k a few times since September 15.

68% value loss in the past year is good right?

Scratch Monkey fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 7, 2022

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

um can someone tell me what that means? like that a BNB is? what are these saver chains? Is this like hollywood accounting 600 million? or like real money or like BAYC money?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They've stolen chuck-e-cheese tokens that someone asserts are worth $600m, and are currently attempting to turn them into Itchy-and-Scratchy money.
No actual dollars are threatened.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ups_rail posted:

um can someone tell me what that means? like that a BNB is? what are these saver chains? Is this like hollywood accounting 600 million? or like real money or like BAYC money?
~$600m at present value, assuming you could convert it all to filthy fiat.

Obviously you couldn't just sell $600m without crashing the token value, as it's like 60% of the 24 hour volume. Market caps are totally bullshit in cryptoland, but people still use and quote them.

Because BSC (the blockchain behind BNB) is a centralised thing controlled by Binance, they basically can - and did - turn it off when they found out this happened. The hacker had managed to syphon off ~$100m worth of it into various places before they did that, but the rest is essentially frozen. Still a decent haul, all things considered, he/she could launder and convert that amount over a period of time.

A bunch of other places have blacklisted the wallet address too.

Crypto - decentralised, except when it isn't.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Durzel posted:

~$600m at present value, assuming you could convert it all to filthy fiat.

Obviously you couldn't just sell $600m without crashing the token value, as it's like 60% of the 24 hour volume. Market caps are totally bullshit in cryptoland, but people still use and quote them.

Because BSC (the blockchain behind BNB) is a centralised thing controlled by Binance, they basically can - and did - turn it off when they found out this happened. The hacker had managed to syphon off ~$100m worth of it into various places before they did that, but the rest is essentially frozen. Still a decent haul, all things considered, he/she could launder and convert that amount over a period of time.

A bunch of other places have blacklisted the wallet address too.

Crypto - decentralised, except when it isn't.

thank you

sometimes I dont understand things like DeFi

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
What I still don't quite understand is, once you've stolen all your monopoly money how do you actually convert it into real cash in your bank account? I thought most of the non-KYC exchanges closed and even if you wash all the coins through monero or tornado cash surely your bank is going to ask you where the money came from if you suddenly deposit $10m with no warning? :psyduck:

Do these stolen coins just exist as potential wealth that never actually gets turned into something useful or are there just tons of people happily buying millions of dollars of bitcoin for slightly less than market value and just turning a blind eye?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I assume whoever is capable of pulling that off would have some idea as to how to launder money. Ransomware rings somehow manage to earn money off that even though all transactions are done with crypto, after all.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Reset the Clocks!

https://www.reuters.com/technology/hackers-steal-around-100-million-cryptocurrency-binance-linked-blockchain-2022-10-07/

quote:

Binance, the world's largest crypto exchange, has been hit by a $570 million hack, a Binance spokesperson said on Friday

All those butts, all those hacks. $100k people!

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Is there any hope of this killing Binance? That's the one I am most interested in seeing die after recommending a friend not to work for them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

I did a quick look and it’s only been above 20k a few times since September 15.

68% value loss in the past year is good right?

Looks like only a 62% loss so I'm 6% richer than you thought :colbert:, of course a paperhands nocoiner luddite like you wouldn't know how to read a graph

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

salt shakeup posted:

This thread is full of luddites who don't understand crypto.

Please explain to me, a full-stack software developer with experience developing dozens of applications with RBDMSes and NoSQL databases (one of which is being acquired by Google Drive at the moment), how a distributed ledger system is beyond me.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Macichne Leainig posted:

Please explain to me, a full-stack software developer with experience developing dozens of applications with RBDMSes and NoSQL databases (one of which is being acquired by Google Drive at the moment), how a distributed ledger system is beyond me.

salt shakeup posted:

Bitcoin is poggers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I knew that dumb phrase had jumped the shark when I saw it in a loving lexus commercial of all things.

It was like watching your 65 year old dad awkwardly say "radical."

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Don't have a cow, man.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
that's so raven

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Oh no, you're right :(

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gbut posted:

Don't have a cow, man.
Eat pant

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Bitcoin makes me pogger every time. RN I'M POGGING!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
He's gonna do it! He's gonna pog!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
help i pogged my pants

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Pog in my pants

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pogcoin

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
remember alf?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
pog my alf hole

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
Pogressive rock

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

got an email from a recruiter this morning:

quote:

I am recruiting for a exciting company at the forefront of Web 3.0 innovation, with the goal of revolutionizing the internet by decentralizing data storage. They are a multibillion dollar company and are responsible for one of the top 40 highest valued Cryptocurrencies.

My client are in need of an engineer with 2+ years Go experience, and 2+ years experience with relational databases such as PostgreSQL, MySQL, and SQLite. Any experience with TimescaleDB would be highly preferred.

As a leader in the Blockchain space with heavy backing from multiple investors, my client can offer a compensation package in line with FAANG companies. This is a fully remote role.

Roles like this one are few and far between. It would be great to discuss this with you further. When are you free for a phone call?

i had a lol and hit delete without replying, of course.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

happyhippy posted:

I wish they would go after Jake/Logan Paul for this same poo poo.
Involved in a few rug pulls

That would be great. Although if you ever interacted with federal regulators in finance, they don't come off as the sort of person to know who the hell Logan Paul is.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

nexous posted:

good news everyone Nexo has increased their offer to 2500 for nexo.us domain

get hosed crypto people you will never take my name

Honestly, you could pull a Trump and tell them they can have it for the price of (1) Greenland.

Pham Nuwen posted:

The thing is, tech people are always in demand why? Because unlike crypto they actually do loving jobs. Reminds me of this, which was Musk quoting Musk: https://www.techdirt.com/2022/10/05/elon-musks-texts-suggest-way-more-people-in-the-silicon-valley-elite-should-have-imposter-syndrome/ - this article about Musk's text messages and Twitter. This is all of "people who are capable of work and not leeches on society" vs the rich.

techdirt posted:

The other funny thing in these text messages is how random people pop up suggesting new executives who can be put in place at Twitter. There’s a person who’s name is redacted who pushed for “a Blake Masters type” to lead Twitter enforcement (Blake Masters is the Peter Thiel protégé who is running for the Senate in Arizona and seems to have all the charisma of a stone toad). Then there’s the (partially disgraced) venture capitalist Steve Jurvetson suggesting (the even more disgraced) Emil Michael as a potential senior exec for the company.

Warzel spoke to another social media exec who calls out how silly all this is:

“I’m on 20 threads with people,” the former social-media executive told me. “And it’s literally like, drat, they were just throwing poo poo at the wall. The ideas people were writing in, in terms of who would be CEO—it’s some real fantasy-baseball bullshit.” Despite all the self-mythologizing and talk of building, the men in these text messages appear mercurial, disorganized, and incapable of solving the kind of societal problems they think they can

And that’s the bit that stands out to me the most about all of this. It becomes clear that almost all of these messages involve dudes who got extremely lucky in the past, and now think that they can solve the world’s problems, and they toss money and ideas around at each other as if they’re doing something important.

Techdirt: It was truly a contrast that, at the same time those messages came out, I was at this conference of trust and safety professionals, many of them not making nearly enough money for the work that they do, but who were actually working through the hard problems of how to make a social media site actually function for democracy, recognizing the many hard challenges and impossible trade-offs, and recognizing that there are no easy answers. There’s no multi-point plan that “fixes” social media, and any plan to make better social media requires more than a text message. They’re not having billionaires throw their billions around to help them actually make the very real improvements that can be made. They’re struggling every day to make these websites actually work. And the lucky dudes are mostly tossing around extremely simplistic ideas that half the people at the conference last week could lay out the many issues they’d need to actually think through to understand those challenges.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pham Nuwen posted:

lol

Nothing like writing a mysql frontend for a web3 project.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Even when she spent four months of being unemployed, my fiancee went "lolnope" the second she found out one of the job opportunities she was being recruited for was a crypto company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Salt Fish posted:

lol

Nothing like writing a mysql frontend for a web3 project.

Yeah, you’re 100% right.

Everyone knows the best thing to write web3 projects on is toilet paper