Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I have another Steam Deck question. I'm vaguely interested in getting an Xbox, largely because of the Play Anywhere feature, where I can play a game on my TV, then if someone else wants to use the TV, I can just save/quit and move to my computer desk and keep playing exactly where I left off. The problem is it's not universal, and actually not very common, for a game to have the feature enabled. I'm guessing Steam Deck has something like that -- I've used cloud saves on Steam games before, mostly for switching to a new computer. Am I correct in this assumption, and if so how seamless is it, and how universal is it on a per-game basis?

Also still interested in hearing from someone using it as an emulator box how their empirical experience has been w/r/t input lag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Deck is just a PC in a nice form factor. If you can save a game on your Deck to Steam Cloud it'll be able to be loaded on a different computer, just as if you had saved it from a laptop and loaded on a desktop.

There might be some differences in settings, mods, etc. though.

I have never noticed input lag in any emulated game other than FFT.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

With the added complication that sometimes the Deck Verified version of the game is a Linux port that has save files incompatible with the Windows version, even if they are stored in Steam Cloud.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

loquacius posted:

I have another Steam Deck question. I'm vaguely interested in getting an Xbox, largely because of the Play Anywhere feature, where I can play a game on my TV, then if someone else wants to use the TV, I can just save/quit and move to my computer desk and keep playing exactly where I left off. The problem is it's not universal, and actually not very common, for a game to have the feature enabled. I'm guessing Steam Deck has something like that -- I've used cloud saves on Steam games before, mostly for switching to a new computer. Am I correct in this assumption, and if so how seamless is it, and how universal is it on a per-game basis?

Also still interested in hearing from someone using it as an emulator box how their empirical experience has been w/r/t input lag.

For any game that supports Steam cloud saves, it works exactly like that. It even warns you if you put the Deck to sleep while a game is running and try to boot the same game up on desktop

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

homeless snail posted:

It looks and feels a lot better, because the screen is updating at whatever frame rate you're running at vs pushing frames to a screen that's refreshing at its own pace. Its not exactly the same thing but think about how responsive a game is when you're playing on the 40hz mode on Steam Deck vs a 40fps game with the screen left on 60hz.

The caveat is, it depends on the sync range of your screen, and I don't think any of them go below 48hz (with good reason), so in reality theres a tiny margin where the Steam Deck is actually gonna benefit from Freesync. Games where you can't lock 60 but don't drop below the 50s, or the rare game that the Deck can run above 60.

On a desktop PC with a fps that fluctuates somewhere between 60 and 120 though, its insanely good.

Thanks for this explanation!

I'm using an LG C1 OLED tv. I found a review that says it can go as low as 20hz but I haven't found anything official to support that.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

More reliable I don't know but I don't think any third party docks have DisplayPort

Jsaux hb0702 has hdmi and dp (1.2)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kin posted:

Edit: Out of curiosity, how much heat is pumped out of a deck? My living room TV setup is part of a custom unit where all the cables come out of an enclosed cupboard at the bottom.

I have to leave the cupboard door open when playing the PS5 for example or it basically suffocates itself with it's own heat.

If I get a dock, I'd have to set it up inside the cupboard as that's where the HDMI cable comes out of, but does it pump out so much heat that I'd likely need to leave the door open for it too?

I have a similar setup with my PS5 and tbh I’d probably just leave the door open. The deck probably doesn’t put out nearly as much heat but it does have a pretty active fan so I’d be worried about heat build up.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So I download Emudeck, overall a pretty easy experience. Now I'm at one of the hard parts to understand, getting ROMs and putting them on the deck. I get that the guides online can't say where to get ROMs, so it makes sense that this part his hazy. But still, for someone like me it's really hard to figure out the "good" places to get this stuff. Especially for later consoles, I'm worried I'll bump into some weird site that's liable to give me a virus instead of whatever game.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

jokes posted:

Whoa, especially if it was animated that'd be a hot one

I'm not the op but here's an animated one. It's hard to get it to look nicely while still being transparent.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I'm not the op but here's an animated one. It's hard to get it to look nicely while still being transparent.

I want this

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I download Emudeck, overall a pretty easy experience. Now I'm at one of the hard parts to understand, getting ROMs and putting them on the deck. I get that the guides online can't say where to get ROMs, so it makes sense that this part his hazy. But still, for someone like me it's really hard to figure out the "good" places to get this stuff. Especially for later consoles, I'm worried I'll bump into some weird site that's liable to give me a virus instead of whatever game.

Yes

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Eeyo posted:

:perfect:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

njsykora posted:

You could just get a super basic USB-C hub with power passthrough, like this Anker hub which is £35 if you don't need to stand the Deck up. Or just get a USB-C to HDMI cable if you're fine staying limited by battery life.

And if you do need a stand there's good ones that are just a stand for like 10 bucks, one I got even has holes for the intake vents

Personally I'll probably pick up the official dock in a month or two once my finances recover a bit more from buying the Deck, as it looks pretty good, only real nitpick I have is that it only has one USB-C port but there's ways to work around that

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

sent you a PM :)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eeyo posted:

:drat:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Thank you!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lol good luck I guess

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

revtoiletduck posted:

Thanks for this explanation!

I'm using an LG C1 OLED tv. I found a review that says it can go as low as 20hz but I haven't found anything official to support that.
A lot of screens these days also have low framerate compensation which doubles or triples frames if its below the minimum refresh, so if the screen is actually 48-120hz and you feed it 47fps video, it syncs at 94hz (47*2) and holds each frame over two refreshes. Some screens handle it better than others though, some of them are juddery or flickery when you're using LFC especially if youre right at the bottom of the range and its toggling on and off. Looking at the C1, its 40-120 and you can LFC down to 20, people seem to have good things to say about it so maybe it'll be pretty good with the Steam Deck.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eeyo posted:

:hai:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Eeyo posted:

I'm adblocking this

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Eeyo posted:

This is incredible and makes my poo poo look bushleague, because it was. This is incredible and I need it. What if the Deck logo was to the left, and it moves thus expanding towards the right?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

sigher posted:

This is incredible and makes my poo poo look bushleague, because it was. This is incredible and I need it. What if the Deck logo was to the left, and it moves thus expanding towards the right?

Hell yeah gross, I want this

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kin posted:

Edit: Out of curiosity, how much heat is pumped out of a deck? My living room TV setup is part of a custom unit where all the cables come out of an enclosed cupboard at the bottom.

I have to leave the cupboard door open when playing the PS5 for example or it basically suffocates itself with it's own heat.

If I get a dock, I'd have to set it up inside the cupboard as that's where the HDMI cable comes out of, but does it pump out so much heat that I'd likely need to leave the door open for it too?

The deck can draw a maximum of 45W (but that's only of you're charging it from empty while playing. The actual max the CPU+GPU can use is probably closer to 30W than to 45).
The PS5 starts at 50W for low intensity things and can get up to 200W, so that's a lot more heat.

I still wouldn't seal the deck in without airflow, but if you do, it would last longer than a PS5 :shrug:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I might have gotten one of the very last preorder steam decks, completed my purchase on Oct 2. It's almost here, and I was wondering, there's still no way to run xbox/windows store games in steamOS right? I'll have to boot into Windows?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Correct, Windows store games will only work in Windows.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

sigher posted:

Lol it should be easy for me to do that, I might take a crack at it tomorrow morning/afternoon.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Maybe I haven't taxed the deck but I have barely heard the fan, it's been kind of a whisper

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Ojetor posted:

I might have gotten one of the very last preorder steam decks, completed my purchase on Oct 2. It's almost here, and I was wondering, there's still no way to run xbox/windows store games in steamOS right? I'll have to boot into Windows?

If you are ok with xbox cloud gaming you can download microsoft edge onto the deck and stream xbox games that way, otherwise you'll have to dual boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe I haven't taxed the deck but I have barely heard the fan, it's been kind of a whisper

Mine got a lil spicy downloading FFXIV but other than that it’s been very quiet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Play Spiderman and start huffing that vent. It’s a nice high.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Has anyone had this issue, where Steam Rom Manager won’t open up?? I click on it and nothing happens. This is from Emudeck, the install seemed to go fin and I have roms in a folder now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Play Spiderman and start huffing that vent. It’s a nice high.

I have it on PS4 so haven't felt the urge to re-buy it when I only kind of liked the game.

Same deal with Days Gone and Horizon Zero Dawn (which I beat) and Death Stranding (which I beat) and God of War.

I wish I could just have the games on steam automatically, sucks paying the Sony tax to play the game sooner.

on that note where the gently caress is Returnal? That's the only reason I wanted a PS5 :argh:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Eeyo posted:

Lol it should be easy for me to do that, I might take a crack at it tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Hell yeah!

I just got the "prepping your order for shipping" email for my Dock.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

protondb is 100% more reliable than "deck verified or not." I actually recommend getting decky and the protondb badge plugin, that'll put the protondb badge on the game page in the steam deck and make it 100% easier to figure out stuff like whether to roll with proton-ge or not...

This looks very handy, I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

mikemil828 posted:

If you are ok with xbox cloud gaming you can download microsoft edge onto the deck and stream xbox games that way, otherwise you'll have to dual boot:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/xbox-cloud-gaming-in-microsoft-edge-with-steam-deck-43dd011b-0ce8-4810-8302-965be6d53296

Huh, I had no idea this was even a thing. I'll have to see if it's viable on my network, the wifi on my ancient router is kinda lovely.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Has anyone had this issue, where Steam Rom Manager won’t open up?? I click on it and nothing happens. This is from Emudeck, the install seemed to go fin and I have roms in a folder now.

Steam needs to be closed. And then when steam is closed, the Desktop mouse settings are different. RT becomes click instead of touchpad clicking.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wait, so you have to manually turn steam off to run Steam Rom Manager? Why don't any of the guides mention this?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
SRM seemed to close Steam automatically for me when I ran it. The mouse change caught me off guard.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Well anyway, turning Steam off manually didn't help. I click on Steam Rom Manager (with the right trigger), nothing happens....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Well anyway, turning Steam off manually didn't help. I click on Steam Rom Manager (with the right trigger), nothing happens....

When it closes steam, the controller settings don’t work. Use touchscreen for SteamRomManager then relaunch steam after running it.

Or use a mouse.