Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Who was it here that was obsessed about trying to make a Twister build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_RSeYoKZfA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
are many of yall seriously skipping pantheons? that's wild to me, they're a ton of defensive power

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Larry Parrish posted:

Even with the faster spawning passives they spawn annoyingly slow and they're rippy because spawning 20 rares that don't drop loot of their own is just asking for trouble nowadays. They were rippy before too but when you might get 1-4ex shards it was worth.

Yeah, in my experience Harbinger is one of the leading causes of 'oh, I'm dead for some reason', second only to Legion.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

iw as going to say what about metamorph but the reason is always very clear

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Herstory Begins Now posted:

are many of yall seriously skipping pantheons? that's wild to me, they're a ton of defensive power

If I need no freeze from brine king then I usually prioritize that well, but upgrading minors and finishing brine king and/or upgrading the other majors when I use them is something that I delay more than I should. Usually I find myself upgrading them somewhere in the mid 90s on second characters and inevitably wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
metamorph is funny because it even says now on the UI '345345% more damage' and it tells you all the abilities and various mods you're stacking up

then it one shots you

pork never goes bad posted:

If I need no freeze from brine king then I usually prioritize that well, but upgrading minors and finishing brine king and/or upgrading the other majors when I use them is something that I delay more than I should. Usually I find myself upgrading them somewhere in the mid 90s on second characters and inevitably wondering why I didn't do it sooner.

I do brine king asap day 1. like as soon as humanly possible. Freeze first, chill next, and then either a minor power or the stun/block recovery next. Brine king honestly sucks compared to the other majors and you're meant to outgear it/use it as a bandaid early on, though tbh I just leave it on on any character that I don't feel like fully min-maxing/crafting really nice stuff for. Brine king is unrivalled for getting midway into the 90s on zero gear asap. The other majors give a hell of an ehp boost though that's way better if you're trying to really make sure you're survivable

minor pantheons are also insanely good. life flask pantheon is a mountain of sustain for bossing and multiplies with # of life flasks you're using. All the other minors are significant bandaids.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 7, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the last time i did a metamorph i only put low tier parts in and the thing still just instagibbed me so i just completely blocked it and never put it on my mirrored tablets

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Shout-out to The Foundry boss that spawns a metamorph far more powerful than the steampunk wizard with a name.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah that sounds like metamorph lol. the league was amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UObizJL2SU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

a frag video of people getting Tabula Rasas and bricking double corrupts, it's everything i ever wanted out of PoE

e: these are horrible, god awful highlights. this is brutal. i can not believe you linked this but would not link the god drat PoB

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 7, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
pob is a cancer on poe :colbert:

E: actually it's kind of a trip watching this, poe is way less rippy than it used to be. You still just blow up out of nowhere sometimes, but there are at least casually available defenses that work well. launch metamorphs were so overtuned, too, lol

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Oct 7, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stux posted:

iw as going to say what about metamorph but the reason is always very clear

yeah, the reason is not blocking metamorph lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
imo if you go within 10 screens of a metamorph you're getting what you deserve

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't mind Metamorphs being strong but my main issue with this game's "normal" content is how it is unpredictable unless you know beforehand, and even then Metamorph damage is sort of like Spectre, by its very nature the variance makes hard to tell whether you'll die or not.

Off the top of my head, things that are not dealbreakers but sort of annoyed me the first time:

1) Skills that seemingly could not be tanked like Shaper's Frostbolts. No matter how high I took my HP they'd still kill me, until I learned that they had resistance shred, and a lot of it.
2) Rhoa crit charges one-shotting a character that can facetank Empowered double flameblast.
3) Going by that, 400% increased damage can range between a monster doing jack poo poo and a monster one shotting you.
4) Haku mission cave-ins insta killing your character.
5) The Synthete Nightmare slam and everything related to it.
6) The triple range of Searing Exarch's slam dealing different damage.
7) The Surprise Damage of Uber Eater of World's auto-attack.

And so on. It isn't hard to play extremely safe, even in the Gauntlet, so my issue isn't survivability as much as it is you can't read something based on what you have on your screen. In D3 if a gigantic monster is doing an animation that they're about to explode and you stay in it, you'll die. In PoE 100% phys as extra fire damage might kill you from ignite to a cold spell because, unbeknownst to you, that cold spell actually dealt physical damage and had 100% of physical damage converted to cold damage.

I expect to die to a Harvest crop or to any Metamorph, but I don't know whether I will die or not.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah monsters dealing physical that innately converts is really annoying. At normal rarity you could never tell, but with mods they become insane one shot machines and it's impossible to tell why without looking them up on poedb etc. It's stupid.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

whypick1 posted:

Who was it here that was obsessed about trying to make a Twister build?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_RSeYoKZfA

I wouldn't say obsessed, it's just that I've done one in the past and it was good until they nerfed it; then I saw that they buffed it this league but I also instantly knew it would be hundreds and hundreds of Divs, because the only way to get a good amulet/rings/gloves/boots is to Div-spam them and that's obviously not affordable anymore.

I picked CWC Spark at launch and never had to reroll, that's similarly click-free and it gets crazy boosts like Annihilating Light which Twister can't use becuase it isn't an elemental spell.

J
Jun 10, 2001

500 good dogs posted:

weren't ancient orbs also valuable during the valdo's reach harbinger times?

Yes, it was some of the easiest goddamn money this game has ever seen. People got all wound up about the "harbingers drop rarer currency shards" watchstone and it getting stealth nerfed early on, but so what. This was the best ratio I managed to get, 3.5 ancients per exalt lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

mathil's shockwave totem build looks pretty sweet

by "build" I mean the idea of using shockwave totems with astral projector. they're pure phys so you can do whatever you want really

Goreban Dallas 2.0
Jan 4, 2019

I think I’ve got 1 more build left in me and I want something I can handle Ubers on. I’ve been running elementalist EAB since day 1 and it’s been awesome but it’s too squishy for how bad I am at dodging stuff. Something in the neighborhood if 30div budget. Any suggestions?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Ok I think it's time for me to post my PoB because aside from gaining a couple levels I'm not really sure what my main goals should be to get stronger right now, what equipment upgrades I should be keeping an eye out for, etc -- I can do T16 maps right now pretty easily, dependent on mods. I got my rear end kicked by the 10-boss Maven invitation and the (non-quest) Eater fight but those may have just been me playing poorly. am I doing anything stupid with my tree? There are definitely a few nodes I'm not sure about -- I think Divine Shield is giving me a lot of survivability, but I'm not really sure. I feel like my HP is a little low for this build but I'm not entirely sure what my goal should be there either.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Low-hanging fruits:
*In the Prismatic Skin wheel you took the max fire res node instead of the max cold res node.
*If you can move Purity of Ice on to your gloves and craft the +1 AoE mod you get another +1 max to all resistances.
*Take the ailment effect node instead of the ailment chance node at Divine Judgement
*Why haven't you taken Barbarism?
*Or for that matter any of the Life Masteries?
*Do you have room for Enduring Cry? If you can do that and snag Call to Arms you've got an "oh poo poo" button to heal up fast.
*I think I'd take off Doryani's Lesson from your upper cluster jewel to get passives for the other things I mentioned

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

by "build" I mean the idea of using shockwave totems with astral projector. they're pure phys so you can do whatever you want really

I did that in Delirium, Chieftain and converting to fire. It was pretty sweet.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

mathil has been in prime form this league imo, just pumping out one super fun looking build after another. as every other streamer falls in the wake of questionable balance and loot changes, mathil grows ever stronger. praise be to mathil

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i mean he already drags himself up cliffs for a hobby, of course he's gonna do it for his job

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I've been watching Mathil since he had 70 viewers, and dude deserves his success. Good brain on that fellow, he makes so many nifty builds that don't require insanely expensive chase uniques to tackle all the content.

Anyway I'm ripping through content as cold SST Trickster and even with only 1.5m pinnacle boss dps it feels fantastic. Another 10 div of investment and 2 more levels could probably double my dps too, looking forward to it when I have the cash.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

whypick1 posted:

Low-hanging fruits:
*In the Prismatic Skin wheel you took the max fire res node instead of the max cold res node.
*If you can move Purity of Ice on to your gloves and craft the +1 AoE mod you get another +1 max to all resistances.
*Take the ailment effect node instead of the ailment chance node at Divine Judgement
*Why haven't you taken Barbarism?
*Or for that matter any of the Life Masteries?
*Do you have room for Enduring Cry? If you can do that and snag Call to Arms you've got an "oh poo poo" button to heal up fast.
*I think I'd take off Doryani's Lesson from your upper cluster jewel to get passives for the other things I mentioned

Thank you! This is very helpful. That said, is Barbarism worth it over other life passives if I've already got max fire resist and I'm using melding/ice for my caps?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

goferchan posted:

Thank you! This is very helpful. That said, is Barbarism worth it over other life passives if I've already got max fire resist and I'm using melding/ice for my caps?

12% max life for 2 nodes is usually a pretty good deal even without that other stuff

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

500 good dogs posted:

12% max life for 2 nodes is usually a pretty good deal even without that other stuff

500 good dogs posted:

Good point, that's a great ROI. I dropped Doriyani's and picked that up, also gained another level and grabbed the +50 life mastery (which I think is the best one for me? the one that trades off regen doesn't seem like a great deal for RF) -- also did those no-brainer reassignments, thanks whypick1.

What should I roughly be shopping around for in terms of gear upgrades right now? Am I potentially better off with a body piece that goes all-in on armor instead of mixing with energy shield like I have now? Seems like anything with comparable rolls is pretty expensive but I suppose that would give me something to save up for, right now I feel a little directionless

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is there something cool I can do to squeeze extra value out of this or just make the hardest metamorph I can? Seems like that's potentially a lot of currency

edit: Booooo! Shakari-Touched doesn't convert the Metamorph drops to currency

goferchan fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 8, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Empowering minions lol. I guess that's probably fine since Metamorphs don't have adds anymore. If you're confident or don't mind ripping I'd go for it I suppose.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Empowering minions lol. I guess that's probably fine since Metamorphs don't have adds anymore. If you're confident or don't mind ripping I'd go for it I suppose.

I went for it and the god-touched modifier didn't do anything, lame

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goferchan posted:

It's the worst feeling since they're so rare in the first place.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

goferchan posted:

Shakari is uniques right? Did you get a ton of unique drops? I think lunaris, Solaris, and arakali(?) are the currency ones.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Shakari is currency, Arakali is cards, Kitava is uniques

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah all I got were the bonuses indicated on the Metamorph organs but they didn't seem to be influenced by the godtouched mod at all.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
yeah ggg made archnem modifiers stop applying to metamorphs because people whined that it was too difficult

smh

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah ggg made archnem modifiers stop applying to metamorphs because people whined that it was too difficult

smh

Metamorphs are dangerous but.. gently caress, just don't make the metamorph. Stupid.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

totalnewbie posted:

Metamorphs are dangerous but.. gently caress, just don't make the metamorph. Stupid.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
metamorphs encapsulate everything that owns about poe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

press every eldritch altar, build every metamorph with max rewards, poe 4 lyfe