Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I'm about to sue a guy in Indiana small claims court (I'm not in Indiana, they are letting me do it by phone) and have never sued anyone in my life

has anyone ever sued someone who didn't show, but despite all testimony and evidence presented got a "gently caress you" from the judge? I'm mostly asking out of paranoia because reddit (yeah yeah I know) gave me the impression judges were inclined to give you a win by default if the other party didn't show but I did want a more realistic lay of the land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm about to sue a guy in Indiana small claims court (I'm not in Indiana, they are letting me do it by phone) and have never sued anyone in my life

has anyone ever sued someone who didn't show, but despite all testimony and evidence presented got a "gently caress you" from the judge? I'm mostly asking out of paranoia because reddit (yeah yeah I know) gave me the impression judges were inclined to give you a win by default if the other party didn't show but I did want a more realistic lay of the land

its small claims court, anything can happen

that said, the judge will probably feel an urge to make sure that even if everything you've said is true, you'd be entitled to relief. if you go in and sue someone who doesn't show up for thinking bad thoughts about you that have made you feel bad, you're probably going to get your case dismissed despite a default

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

well less "this man made me horny" and more concrete damages

cut and dry "promised product > did not deliver"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

it's small claims court, anything can happen

the one time i was in small claims court, the judge made people who sued people who didn't show up still go through their case rather than just automatically get the money they wanted. they may insist you present enough evidence that would support your damages amount. the whole point of small claims court is that the rules basically don't apply, and every state does theirs differently.

go to it prepared to prove up every element of your claim, including the amount of the damages, as if someone's going to argue with your evidence and say "what is the evidence of X" for each thing that matters, even if you know the other side won't show up

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

well less "this man made me horny" and more concrete damages

cut and dry "promised product > did not deliver"

FYI there is a "Legal questions thread" in Ask/Tell. You will probably get more responses there.

This is the "laugh at prospective law school applicants" thread.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I could always apply to Harvard

That place seems more and more overrated by the year

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"I also very strongly recommend to Ms. Anderson that she immediately retain a lawyer for any future interactions with the Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench. She can afford it. She has lots of money."

That there is a very angry judge.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
So, regarding the NY fraud suit against the trumps: who is/are the alleged victim(s)?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

So, regarding the NY fraud suit against the trumps: who is/are the alleged victim(s)?

Mostly banks, insurance companies, and various government agencies.

https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/tto_complaint.pdf

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction
Ahhh the most sympathetic of all plaintiffs: banks, insurance actuaries, and fat lazy bureaucrats

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Ahhh the most sympathetic of all plaintiffs: banks, insurance actuaries, and fat lazy bureaucrats

"Well the dude he murdered was a bully in high school, so I guess there's no systemic interest in enforcing the law here!"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Musk Twitter trial stuff: https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2022/09/elon-musk-caught-deleting-messages-about-the-twitter-deal.html

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah, Musk is going to own twitter soon.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, Musk is going to own twitter soon.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy. :allears:

E: not a litigator but this seems bad. Is this bad?

Team MUSK: The meat of this is that there actually is no evidence that we’ve destroyed evidence, and that’s the standard that they recite to the court. That is something —

CHANCELLOR MCCORMICK: They point to something that’s been destroyed.

Team MUSK: Sure, fair enough.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Anyone else get a CAMs accreditation? Started to use mine and really need materials to bone up on my knowledge, especially when it comes to setting and adhering to best practices when created a AML/KYC business regime.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Shageletic posted:

Anyone else get a CAMs accreditation? Started to use mine and really need materials to bone up on my knowledge, especially when it comes to setting and adhering to best practices when created a AML/KYC business regime.

I was about to do my CAMS but then decided banking sucks and left to be a property lawyer, which sucked even harder.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

I was about to do my CAMS but then decided banking sucks and left to be a property lawyer, which sucked even harder.

Lol

Goondolences. It's just nice to have a backup exit hatch.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Shageletic posted:

Lol

Goondolences. It's just nice to have a backup exit hatch.

I do family law now and it's better than banking. The only thing I miss about working for a bank are the holidays off and paid vacation.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My experience with working at a bank sucked too. But it really just depends in who you work with in the end. Glad things turned out well for you.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I agreed to work for one of our top compliance officers who was also a managing director. Guy was wonderful. Then a terrible project manager came in and poached me while making work-life a miserable experience. If I'd have stayed working in KYC/AML as an analyst, I would have been bored but not as miserable.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

I do family law now and it's better than banking. The only thing I miss about working for a bank are the holidays off and paid vacation.

lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Toona the Cat posted:

toona's family law practice: where we know what you're going through, because we're going through it too

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I say that to 99% of my clients tbh

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Toona to his first client: "no, this is just the first time I've done this as the lawyer. I got you."

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
*jesse pinkman voice* sometimes you need a divorced attorney

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

EwokEntourage posted:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EwokEntourage posted:

Law Megathread: sometimes you need a divorced attorney

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I’d love to see a TV ad with the line “when you need a divorce lawyer, the best choice is a divorced lawyer

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

:discourse:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

EwokEntourage posted:

hell yeah

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

I’d love to see a TV ad with the line “when you need a divorce lawyer, the best choice is a divorced lawyer

That's all family law attorneys

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I have a new favorite case citation, One 1958 Plymouth Sedan v. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 30 U.S. 693 (1965).

The 1958 Plymouth Sedan was represented by the totally real attorneys Louis Lipschitz and Standord Shmukler.

Essentially, even if the 1958 Plymouth Sedan's owner was a bad guy doing bad guy stuff, it doesn't mean the 1958 Plymouth Sedan is also a baddie!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Tokelau All Star posted:

I have a new favorite case citation, One 1958 Plymouth Sedan v. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 30 U.S. 693 (1965).

The 1958 Plymouth Sedan was represented by the totally real attorneys Louis Lipschitz and Standord Shmukler.

Essentially, even if the 1958 Plymouth Sedan's owner was a bad guy doing bad guy stuff, it doesn't mean the 1958 Plymouth Sedan is also a baddie!

If you liked One 1958 Plymouth Sedan v. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, you'll love United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls, 413 F. Supp. 1281 (D. Wisc. 1976)(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unite...f_Clacker_Balls).

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

"Ms. Anderson is thus not a destitute, desperate person, but, instead, a greedy scofflaw, who seeks a condo for free, with no legitimate legal basis."

right into my veins

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Christ they're making us go back to the office

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
Have a question that this seems like might be the right place to ask? If not, and there is a better place, please direct me or just tell me to gently caress off.

A former company of mine failed to take care of replacing my phone number as a 2FA requirement for an account that they use and have been harassing me for the last week to "just help them out". I haven't had time to take care of it during my normal work hours, and have just not placed it as a priority in my life to help them after hours.

Today, I received a voicemail from one of their new VPs which stated:
" I'm asking that you step up just a little bit here and coordinate with me so that when I try to gain access, you can text me the code. I will remind you that your exit agreement said you were going to turn over all IP, and this is apart of that"

I've been at a different company for over a year at this point, and do not feel that I need to "step up" for them. But want to just make sure that I'm not treading any muddy waters by just ignoring them.

I have reached out for some legal help to ensure I am represented in the event they push further, but wanted to see if there might be advice or information to gain prior to retaining representation.

MrAmazing
Jun 21, 2005

drunk mutt posted:

Have a question that this seems like might be the right place to ask? If not, and there is a better place, please direct me or just tell me to gently caress off.

A former company of mine failed to take care of replacing my phone number as a 2FA requirement for an account that they use and have been harassing me for the last week to "just help them out". I haven't had time to take care of it during my normal work hours, and have just not placed it as a priority in my life to help them after hours.

" I'm asking that you step up just a little bit here and coordinate with me so that when I try to gain access, you can text me the code. I will remind you that your exit agreement said you were going to turn over all IP, and this is apart of that"

I've been at a different company for over a year at this point, and do not feel that I need to "step up" for them. But want to just make sure that I'm not treading any muddy waters by just ignoring them.

I have reached out for some legal help to ensure I am represented in the event they push further, but wanted to see if there might be advice or information to gain prior to retaining representation.

I’m not a lawyer, I have no idea where you stand legally and accidentally clicked into this thread. That said, not being willing to even tell them, “you have 10 minutes from 12:00-12:10 this Thursday during which time I’ll text you the code” implies there is something else going on here as well that wasn’t included in your post….

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I don't know anything about the situation legally but how on earth is helping them switch the 2 factor more difficult and annoying than *engaging a lawyer* to advise you on whether you are legally required to do so?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
You should post about how mean they were to you, so we understand how you have a right to do whatever.

Buy post it in the legal questions thread, along with your OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

drunk mutt posted:

my billable rate is $1000 an hour. how many hours at $1000 an hour do you think it will take me to "solve" this for good, and how much would you need to work to replace that money compared to just spending the half hour fixing it yourself.