Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

incogneato posted:

Are there any camera improvements between the base models (Pixel 6 to 7, non pro)? I feel like bull said something about new sensors many pages back, but it was mostly over my head.

The only camera improvements from the regular 6 to the regular 7 are the improvements enabled by Tensor 2 (faster night sight, better 2x digital zoom, better unblur) and the 7 gets the same front facing camera as the 6 Pro and 7 Pro.

The regular 7 doesn't get the autofocus ultrawide (which enables macro mode) unfortunately. I'm calling dirty pool on that, but I guess they wanted more of a reason for the $300 price gap to exist.

Personally, I think they should have just kept the main and ultrawide the same on both models, dumped the 128gb model of the Pro and started it at 256 for $899 instead. I feel that's a better way to differentiate them since if someone wants 256gb in the 7, then the 7 pro is only a $200 upsell and gets the higher res screen, larger battery, and the telephoto for that.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Since I have the S22 Ultra, you better believe I'll be doing zoom comparisons at 2x, 3x, 5x, 10x, and 30x.

It will be interesting if Google's 5x 48mp telephoto proves more versatile across the whole zoom range than Samsung using a 10mp dedicated optical at 3x and 10x. The Pixel 6 Pro was already strikingly close

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Face Unlock looks brilliant on the 7/7 Pro. The fingerprint sensor's gonna be a non issue on it now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTXrD6BEMIk

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bbcisdabomb posted:

Does Best Buy or anyone have floor model Pixel 7s out?

My Best Buy (Downers Grove, IL) has them out with the 6a.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ready for another effort post?

I do love the Z Fold 4 and I think it's a fabulous device that I'm going to continue to use regularly while at the same time it's probably never (or very rarely) have my SIM in it again after the Pixel 7 Pro arrives.

Now I'm going to explain why that is. First and foremost I want to say that I've had no trouble with the device at all. It's performed well, battery has been good. I haven't had a chance to use the camera much, but I'm familiar with the S22 camera system and it's far better than the Fold3 was even if it isn't the best in any situation. It's adequate in the camera department.

Unfolded, it's like the perfect size. I said this last year and I'll say it again. If Samsung were to come out with a tablet the size and shape of the unfolded Z Fold I would buy it in a second. The fold in general has cut down on my iPad Mini use because the multitasking, apps, and notifications are better and the display just shits all over the 60hz LCD in the iPad Mini.

Folded, it's fine in the pocket. It's thicker yes, but the rest of the dimensions are more compact so it's not an unmanageable lump like I was expecting. It's actually pretty reassuring to hold when folded as the extra thickness adds grip area on top of it just being a narrower thing to hold. The extra width over the Z Fold 3 does make quite a bit of difference when you are using it.

My normal routine of use (cover screen attending of notifications during the day and couch browsing at night unfolded) has me ending days around 20-30%. Not record setting battery life, but adequate and the 25w charging works well enough to top off if need be before going out or something.

So, why not stick with it? Because, as much as I like it, I realize it probably isn't the right tool for the job for me for my PHONE.

I'm middle aged and boring. I work from home. Weekends consist of hanging out with friends at their house (or them at mine). Otherwise I leave the house to go exercise or do shopping with the occasional weekend or week long recreational trip.

Basically, the whole use case of this device, to have a tablet sized display to use on the go if you need it, is wasted on me. When I'm at the store, my phone rarely leaves my pocket. My watch handles payments and checking/replying to notifications and I'm not going to unfold into tablet to look something up quickly in the store. Similarly, if I'm visiting at a friends, I'm probably not on my phone much at all let alone enough to fold out into tablet. Meanwhile, during the day when I'm at home and working, I have ANY NUMBER of personal computing devices to use from laptops to tablets. If I'm going on vacation, I'm going to want the best cameras I can have on me and while the Fold is improved, it isn't a Pixel or an iPhone.

If I was still going into an office everyday and had a lunch hour to kill or if I traveled frequently for work, then it would make sense for me to have my SIM in it and just carry the one device. However, something like the Z Flip 4 or just a normal traditional phone is better for me in everyday use. The Flip 4 would basically fill the role of minimal distractions but still have flagship phone if I need it while the Pixel 7 Pro will just be an all rounder like the Pixel 6 Pro was before it.

I'm fortunate enough though that I don't have to make the choice, I can keep the flip around to fill the role of couch tablet or even larger screened device I toss in my bag or pocket to use on wifi at my destination. But I have to admit to myself that having my SIM in it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Likely the SIM will only go back in if I'm making a trip for work or something and those are few and far between nowadays.

Though, I will put an addendum to that. The Pixel Passport may win me back to that direction for two reasons. First, the form factor is likely to be even more like the Oppo (wider and shorter) which makes the cover screen even nicer to use. Second is just the software. OneUI 4.1 is ok. I have mentioned before how it feels dated and fiddly in places. But beyond that though is the feature set. Call screen, especially now in election season, is just so drat nice. The spam filtering in general in the call app is so top notch. Stuff like hold for me is also incredible. Basically all the PHONE stuff that is the differentiating factor of having my SIM in the device is just heaps better with Pixel software. So a pixel foldable may be enough to get my SIM back in a tablet convertible, though I suspect the cameras will still be sore spot due to space constraints.

So yeah. The Fold 4 is a brilliant device that I can't heap enough praise on while at the same time just isn't the device for me for my everyday carry. I like that the choice is there though, I just wish I lead an interesting enough life to use it properly.

I think the real conclusion here is MAKE A FLAGSHIP 8" TABLET AGAIN SAMSUNG YOU COWARDS!

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 7, 2022

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

not a fan of google's marketing that makes the black pixel 7 look like the camera bar is a similar color black to the rest of the phone. all of the product shots are intentionally ambiguous just like how apple would only show phone wallpapers that were pure black except for a planet taking up half the screen so you would conveniently not be able to notice the notch.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

incogneato posted:

Are there any camera improvements between the base models (Pixel 6 to 7, non pro)? I feel like bull said something about new sensors many pages back, but it was mostly over my head.

I mean keep in mind that Google claims that the P6 camera is an "improvement" even though it's not even remotely close to the old camera in quality. You can't judge poo poo from what Google says or what the lying shill scumbag reviewers say.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Has anyone bought a phone for verizon through google and done the trade in? Do you get the same amount that verizon would give?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

I mean keep in mind that Google claims that the P6 camera is an "improvement" even though it's not even remotely close to the old camera in quality. You can't judge poo poo from what Google says or what the lying shill scumbag reviewers say.

You really are to Pixels as Userbenchmark is to AMD, aren't you?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

https://twitter.com/Jaime_Rivera/status/1578246808131620864?s=20&t=RCwzJR0LNUJMAp1TxaQSSg

Just so everyone knows, full embargo drops on the 12th.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Any mention of whether we'll also be getting full reviews of the Nest Wifi Pro on the 12th? I just bought a 6a which meets my needs, so the Wifi Pro is the product I'm interested in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The WiFi pro isn't out till the end of the month so I doubt it

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

a couple of months ago i tried to see what the trade in for my perfectly functioning, non-damaged pixel 3a would be, and it was a whopping $65. tried it the other day, and know what it was? a staggering $15 :lmao:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Google working quick this year. I can no longer cancel my order so shipping must be happening pretty soon.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mr Interweb posted:

a couple of months ago i tried to see what the trade in for my perfectly functioning, non-damaged pixel 3a would be, and it was a whopping $65. tried it the other day, and know what it was? a staggering $15 :lmao:

Meanwhile, if you're on one of their expensive unlimited plans, Verizon is just giving the P7 away for free for trading in a 3a.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

I take it you missed the 6a trade in promo, they gave $300 for it then.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

I take it you missed the 6a trade in promo, they gave $300 for it then.

wait wait wait

$300 for a pixel "3A"??

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yup, pretty insane deal. They also gave a free pair of pixel buds with the 6A.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, it's 31.50 for a 3 on a 6a, but 245 on a 7. Rad.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rundown of the camera improvements.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/pixel-7-pro-ai-powered-cameras-could-make-you-rethink-that-iphone/

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

wait wait wait

$300 for a pixel "3A"??

Dude I got 290 for an iPhone 7. It's what finally got my wife to move to the Pixel line. She *loves* her 6a.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This all looks and sounds awesome but man I just want the new tablet.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I didn't have a trade-in phone when I pre-ordered the 6a, so I bought a 3a XL off of ebay for ~$110 and got $300 in trade-in value for it.

Of course, the package never actually got to Google (thanks USPS), but they gave me the $300 anyway. I was pleasantly surprised at how little pushback their CS gave me.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've never upgraded from a Pixel to another Pixel, can I expect it to be a full clone after the transfer procedure or will I have to re-login to my apps and set up things like Authy again?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Incessant Excess posted:

I've never upgraded from a Pixel to another Pixel, can I expect it to be a full clone after the transfer procedure or will I have to re-login to my apps and set up things like Authy again?

The latter

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Ready for another effort post?

I do love the Z Fold 4 and I think it's a fabulous device that I'm going to continue to use regularly while at the same time it's probably never (or very rarely) have my SIM in it again after the Pixel 7 Pro arrives.

Now I'm going to explain why that is. First and foremost I want to say that I've had no trouble with the device at all. It's performed well, battery has been good. I haven't had a chance to use the camera much, but I'm familiar with the S22 camera system and it's far better than the Fold3 was even if it isn't the best in any situation. It's adequate in the camera department.

Unfolded, it's like the perfect size. I said this last year and I'll say it again. If Samsung were to come out with a tablet the size and shape of the unfolded Z Fold I would buy it in a second. The fold in general has cut down on my iPad Mini use because the multitasking, apps, and notifications are better and the display just shits all over the 60hz LCD in the iPad Mini.

Folded, it's fine in the pocket. It's thicker yes, but the rest of the dimensions are more compact so it's not an unmanageable lump like I was expecting. It's actually pretty reassuring to hold when folded as the extra thickness adds grip area on top of it just being a narrower thing to hold. The extra width over the Z Fold 3 does make quite a bit of difference when you are using it.

My normal routine of use (cover screen attending of notifications during the day and couch browsing at night unfolded) has me ending days around 20-30%. Not record setting battery life, but adequate and the 25w charging works well enough to top off if need be before going out or something.

So, why not stick with it? Because, as much as I like it, I realize it probably isn't the right tool for the job for me for my PHONE.

I'm middle aged and boring. I work from home. Weekends consist of hanging out with friends at their house (or them at mine). Otherwise I leave the house to go exercise or do shopping with the occasional weekend or week long recreational trip.

Basically, the whole use case of this device, to have a tablet sized display to use on the go if you need it, is wasted on me. When I'm at the store, my phone rarely leaves my pocket. My watch handles payments and checking/replying to notifications and I'm not going to unfold into tablet to look something up quickly in the store. Similarly, if I'm visiting at a friends, I'm probably not on my phone much at all let alone enough to fold out into tablet. Meanwhile, during the day when I'm at home and working, I have ANY NUMBER of personal computing devices to use from laptops to tablets. If I'm going on vacation, I'm going to want the best cameras I can have on me and while the Fold is improved, it isn't a Pixel or an iPhone.

If I was still going into an office everyday and had a lunch hour to kill or if I traveled frequently for work, then it would make sense for me to have my SIM in it and just carry the one device. However, something like the Z Flip 4 or just a normal traditional phone is better for me in everyday use. The Flip 4 would basically fill the role of minimal distractions but still have flagship phone if I need it while the Pixel 7 Pro will just be an all rounder like the Pixel 6 Pro was before it.

I'm fortunate enough though that I don't have to make the choice, I can keep the flip around to fill the role of couch tablet or even larger screened device I toss in my bag or pocket to use on wifi at my destination. But I have to admit to myself that having my SIM in it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Likely the SIM will only go back in if I'm making a trip for work or something and those are few and far between nowadays.

Though, I will put an addendum to that. The Pixel Passport may win me back to that direction for two reasons. First, the form factor is likely to be even more like the Oppo (wider and shorter) which makes the cover screen even nicer to use. Second is just the software. OneUI 4.1 is ok. I have mentioned before how it feels dated and fiddly in places. But beyond that though is the feature set. Call screen, especially now in election season, is just so drat nice. The spam filtering in general in the call app is so top notch. Stuff like hold for me is also incredible. Basically all the PHONE stuff that is the differentiating factor of having my SIM in the device is just heaps better with Pixel software. So a pixel foldable may be enough to get my SIM back in a tablet convertible, though I suspect the cameras will still be sore spot due to space constraints.

So yeah. The Fold 4 is a brilliant device that I can't heap enough praise on while at the same time just isn't the device for me for my everyday carry. I like that the choice is there though, I just wish I lead an interesting enough life to use it properly.

I think the real conclusion here is MAKE A FLAGSHIP 8" TABLET AGAIN SAMSUNG YOU COWARDS!

I'm wanting to pull the trigger on the fold - this may have pushed me to the edge in getting it.

I'm concerned mainly about how easy (or not) dust could get in that inner screen. Is that something that is still an issue from your experience with the fold 4?

Pity that we don't have the pixel here in NZ. I was trying to choose between the iphone 14 pro and the fold 4 and the iphone does not interest me that much.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Thanks, that's a bummer even if not surprising.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Incessant Excess posted:

Thanks, that's a bummer even if not surprising.

Some apps retain their login information if you restore from a backup, like Awful.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Meanwhile, if you're on one of their expensive unlimited plans, Verizon is just giving the P7 away for free for trading in a 3a.

Verizon posted:

Get $700 off this device when you trade in. Upgrade required.

Trade in an old or damaged phone free of battery damage (i.e. swelling, leaking or too hot to touch). Other terms and conditions apply.

And get your trade-in promo credit over 36 months.

5G Ultra Wideband available only in parts of select cities. 5G Nationwide available in 2,700+ cities. Up to $1099.99 device payment purchase. Less up to $700 trade-in/promo credit applied over 36 months; promo credits end if eligibility requirements are no longer met. 0% APR. Trade-in conditions apply. One Unlimited for iPhone (all lines on account req'd on plan), 5G Start, 5G Do More, 5G Play More and 5G Get More Unlimited plans required. Taxes and fees may apply.

36 months is a long time for an Android phone.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I just transitioned from a iPhone 13 to a Fold 4 on a bit of a whim - the main driver is that I've been a heavy user of both iPhone and iPad with the latter used mainly for reading technical documents and taking notes. I'm hoping to do everything with a single foldable

It's been a decent experience so far but it's hard not to notice android apps feel less polished than iOS ones

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Att is giving me $800 for my pixel 6pro against a pixel7p. That's pretty wild.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

Black King Conga posted:

I'm wanting to pull the trigger on the fold - this may have pushed me to the edge in getting it.

I'm concerned mainly about how easy (or not) dust could get in that inner screen. Is that something that is still an issue from your experience with the fold 4?

Pity that we don't have the pixel here in NZ. I was trying to choose between the iphone 14 pro and the fold 4 and the iphone does not interest me that much.

I've never had any dust issues on my Fold 3- even brought it to the beach a few times (though I prolly wouldn't recommend that).

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Super-NintendoUser posted:

Why the hell is the UK only offering £270 for a Pixel 6?!

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
disappointed the $200 google credit won't cover the full cost of the pixel buds pro because of sales tax so I'll just wait until black friday to snag them

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Super-NintendoUser posted:

ATT has a big push going I think. I see $800 for my Pixel 6, and $800 for my wife's iPhone 11 as well. A free upgrade to the P7 seems like a no brainer

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I decided for the first time ever I'm waiting for both full reviews and black friday sales to get the 7 Pro, if and only if there's some level of battery life improvement because man am I annoyed with this lovely inefficient 5G radio on the 6 Pro.

That said I am preordering the poo poo out of that tablet/docking station when I can, I want it so bad.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

I decided for the first time ever I'm waiting for both full reviews and black friday sales to get the 7 Pro, if and only if there's some level of battery life improvement because man am I annoyed with this lovely inefficient 5G radio on the 6 Pro.

That said I am preordering the poo poo out of that tablet/docking station when I can, I want it so bad.

How come the mobile data radios were so bad on the 6s? I thought integrated radios, even the non-sub mm whatevers, were pretty power efficient? And the 4G radios are surely a highly mature technology at this point?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The exynos modem came out in 2019, the same time that Qualcomm was having huge battery draw issues with the external X50 modem. When put in that light, it actually holds up pretty well against it's contemporary.

Exynos Modem 5123 7nm process used on the S20, S21, S22 and Pixel 6.

Pixel 7 allegedly uses the Exynos Modem 5300g which Samsung only announced as existing on the 6th. No one knows anything about it yet.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm due for an upgrade on my S20+. I can order the P7 pro for $99 or P7regular for 0.99, Is the Pixel 7 going to be a decent phone or has google sucked at hardwaremaking? Pixels have been hit or miss on my carrier I think the last one I've had experience with was the 3 which was well received.

Are pixels still updated by google and not the carrier?

I'm a middle aged man now.. Id' love a note but or S22Ultra with the stylus.. those are in the $1000 range for my plan which is way more than having a stylus is worth to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How come the mobile data radios were so bad on the 6s? I thought integrated radios, even the non-sub mm whatevers, were pretty power efficient? And the 4G radios are surely a highly mature technology at this point?

The 4G/LTE modem on the 6 pro was actually fine! But at least for 5G here, which is all sub-6 band, LTE is noticeably slower with higher latency, and I'm a nitpicky little princess :mad: