Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Charlz Guybon posted:

My lovely wife has had three miscarriages in a row. I don't see anything wrong with her health. Could there be a hidden modifier? Or is it really just random?

Congratulations on the turn in your wife's luck, but FYI: miscarriages are basically random (less likely if the mother's health is good, if the mother has previously given birth, or with certain dynasty legacies or religious doctrines), and pre-determined by an event at the start of the pregnancy (basically all pregnancy outcomes are pre-determined at the start of the pregnancy, except whether the child is a boy or a girl and I guess trait inheritance - those resolve when the child character is created, so at birth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Stacking health modifiers is WAY too "good" (though it brings its own sort of challenges when every character you play lives well into their 70s-80s)

I have 2 books that give Small and Medium health boost respectively, the final Blood dynasty perk for +5 years lifespan, if I take the Whole of Body tree to the end I'd get another 2 medium health boosts + 1 small from the focus, and I'm working herculean into my bloodline, meaning that all things said and done my characters will basically only ever die of murder/battle if they're younger than 70

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dwesa posted:

You can depose yourself in favor of your younger heir by revoking title from some vassal that is likely to reject it and then immediately surrendering when he declares war on you.

This requires you to be Feudal. Won't work with Tribal because of the high authority requirements to revoke in the first place. Might be able to swing it with Imprison but as I recall that has the same issue.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Deposing is usually done with failing imprisonment, not revoke title. Imprisonment has really lenient requirements (always for feudal, TA1 for tribal) so its always possible

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TorakFade posted:

Stacking health modifiers is WAY too "good" (though it brings its own sort of challenges when every character you play lives well into their 70s-80s)

The main problem is that you heir will get old too. If you are male and have absolute CA you can fix that by using designate heir to change to a younger one, but it wont work so well if you are female, since even your youngest children will be getting old as you cant have kids forever like when you are male

But thats the only problem I can think with living a lot. Other than that, unless you have been a total rear end in a top hat our whole life, being a 80 years old ruler usually means everyone loves you and the realm is super stable. And if you get Graceful Aging (I always do) you will be a superman too

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 6, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

PittTheElder posted:

This requires you to be Feudal. Won't work with Tribal because of the high authority requirements to revoke in the first place. Might be able to swing it with Imprison but as I recall that has the same issue.
you can revoke title with level 3 tribal authority, I am pretty sure I did this recently while still being tribal.

scaterry posted:

Deposing is usually done with failing imprisonment, not revoke title. Imprisonment has really lenient requirements (always for feudal, TA1 for tribal) so its always possible
yeah, this is probably better idea, tyranny gain is same anyway

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 6, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TorakFade posted:

I have 2 books that give Small and Medium health boost respectively, the final Blood dynasty perk for +5 years lifespan, if I take the Whole of Body tree to the end I'd get another 2 medium health boosts + 1 small from the focus, and I'm working herculean into my bloodline, meaning that all things said and done my characters will basically only ever die of murder/battle if they're younger than 70

If you get Strengthen Bloodline you also get a health boost. My last character had strong blood, and was robust and made it all the way to 78. I only filled out like 2 perks in the Whole of Body tree, so I really wasn't getting much of a boost there. I'm about to call it quits on my final run, but I just took over as my 60 year old son, who already filled out whole of body and is herculean. May just play to see if I can get this guy to stick around to 100.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Yeah it's great, if you also have friends and get the "life reaffirmed" event and/or a cat that hunts rats and/or manage to get athletic, you can basically be of fine health until the very end! It's a bit too good I think.

I wish we eventually get a Reaper's Due-like DLC with lots more chances for horrible untimely deaths because it feels like if I'm well liked / good at intrigue, my characters seem to live basically forever

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
[quote="Dwesa" post=""526725113"[/quote"]]
New dev diary on future plans
[/quote]

quote:

Warfare is not and never will be a primary focus for CK3, that said it’s not as character-driven as it could be, outside of commander advantage and the occasional great knight. There’s also a real problem with delivering content (usually in the form of events) during times of war, as the player more often than not gets interrupted by something appearing in the middle of the screen while maneuvering units. I’d eventually like for us to be able to deliver content in a way that doesn’t interrupt warfare, and use that system to highlight characters and heroic acts (Battle of Agincourt, anyone?). I’d also like to rework the major annoyances of warfare, such as supply.

I really hope they scrap the entire system. I am so tired of playing whackamole chasing armies who always just dodge 1 day ahead of your stack.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I reinstalled this on my ssd and oh my lord does it run so much better now!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MikeC posted:

I really hope they scrap the entire system. I am so tired of playing whackamole chasing armies who always just dodge 1 day ahead of your stack.

Sometimes I think I'm playing this game wrong because at least half of my time is spent fighting wars, and yet it's not supposed to be the primary focus of the game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bird in a Blender posted:

Sometimes I think I'm playing this game wrong because at least half of my time is spent fighting wars, and yet it's not supposed to be the primary focus of the game.

Same. Its probably because is so goddam effective

Surely you can expand and get stronger through marriages and stuff but war is so much faster and easier

And than if you dont wage war constantly until you are a huge unbeatable blob, you are always vulnerable to getting attacked by bigger neighbours and powerful vassals

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Speaking of old rulers, Emperor SIEGEHELM THE BLOOD-FATHER just got the Know Thyself dead-within-a-year message. He's 98, which is a disappointment; I was really hoping to make it to 100.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

Speaking of old rulers, Emperor SIEGEHELM THE BLOOD-FATHER just got the Know Thyself dead-within-a-year message. He's 98, which is a disappointment; I was really hoping to make it to 100.

To the Canute the Greater guy, just kit your heir out in health lifestyle perks when you take over. I put Scandinavian election on the kingdom titles after rounding them all up as Harald Fairhair, got his youngest son elected at age 42 when Harald died, and he lived till 75 with drunkard the whole time.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

I made it :toot:

Blood Eagle, Canute the Greater and Miklagarđaríki checked off. Game is in a pretty good spot if i wanted to keep going -- it's only 955, hybridised with Greek to grab Eastern Roman Legacy and to grab all their tech, and I own 3 holy sites so i can easily reform religion and really get the train going. Basically everywhere is open to further conquest, so I'd probably finish off Scandinavia and then dive into France and Iberia.

Think it's time for not-Vikings for a bit though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

MikeC posted:

The thing with war in these games is that the focus of the games is the characters, but the characters are mostly of a class that literally existed to fight wars!

So on one hand there will probably be a lot of wars and you need some kind of control of them, and before Victoria 3 doing that in Paradox games always looked like this. On the other hand, as the dev diary points out, this gets in the way of cool narratives happening in the war because pop-up events while you're moving stacks is annoying. I'm definitely interested in seeing how they resolve this (maybe I'll get to retire my battlefield duel mod, that's always fun).

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

My oldest ruler so far died at 102. He got cancer at 100 and the treatment for it chopped off his leg.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Clocks posted:

My oldest ruler so far died at 102. He got cancer at 100 and the treatment for it chopped off his leg.

Well, was it leg cancer?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think the thing is that while the game isn't strictly about warfare, warfare is the most micro-intensive part of the game so you end up spending a lot of time focusing on it. Most of the other stuff in the game tends to be about either responding to random events (which you can't really do any sort of pre-planning for), or laying some sort of long term plan out and then waiting for it to pay off (which doesn't require a ton of ongoing action). In war, meanwhile, you have to manually order your stacks of troops around and you can't really afford to just leave it for a while to work itself out.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Serephina posted:

God-drat can alt-tabbing into this thread give you whiplash. (Sorry for your loss)

My grandson won't stop seducing my wife who is also his sister!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
How does naval supply work?

I sail to crusade with a massive army across the Mediterranean and it's fine. I sail with 2/3rds as many men half the distance and I lose half the men.

Why?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You tick down all normal supply stuff as if you where over capacity at all times, so jumping into the water with a stack that's already half-starved is a bad idea. Add in naval speed and supply perks etc and you can have very different experiences if you're not paying attention.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Serephina posted:

You tick down all normal supply stuff as if you where over capacity at all times, so jumping into the water with a stack that's already half-starved is a bad idea. Add in naval speed and supply perks etc and you can have very different experiences if you're not paying attention.

So, raise your guys in a well developed high supply province until their supply is 100 before leaving?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Their supply starts at 100, but yes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

PittTheElder posted:

Their supply starts at 100, but yes.
Or higher! Sometimes, for reasons I do not understand!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Supply should always start at 100 when an army is raised. The peak value can be increased, there's one perk in the military lifestyles and one event modifier from Strategist I think.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
You can also get the base raised to 150 supply with the Dextrous Fishermen Cultural tradition. But only if the commander is of a culture with that tradition.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

So how come when I hit Raise All, some of my stacks cap at 100, some at 150, and some go all the way to 300?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

CapnAndy posted:

So how come when I hit Raise All, some of my stacks cap at 100, some at 150, and some go all the way to 300?

Because the game assigns each of the stacks a commander from amongst your available vassals and courtiers, and each commander may or may not have properties that increases the cap. If it's 300, the commander has the Martial lifestyle perk, etc.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 7, 2022

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

CapnAndy posted:

Most numbers let you hover over them and find out how they are derived. Annoyingly, not all! (Such as MaA raising cost)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Nordick posted:

Because the game assigns each of the stacks a commander from amongst your available vassals and courtiers, and each commander may or may not have properties that increases the cap. If it's 300, the commander has the Martial lifestyle perk, etc.
Ah, that makes sense.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does the Royal Court DLC do anything if you are not a King or Emperor?

Like if I'm a duke and have the DLC does my King ever summon me to his courtroom or anything like that?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Captain Beans posted:

Does the Royal Court DLC do anything if you are not a King or Emperor?

Like if I'm a duke and have the DLC does my King ever summon me to his courtroom or anything like that?

You can petition your liege for favors or give them a gift.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

The entire inventory system is Royal Court too, right? It didn't get folded into the base game? It's not as big a deal to counts and dukes, but you'll still have your personal stuff.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

You still have access to personal artifacts and the Commission Artifact decision, but the good/powerful stuff is from Royal Court.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Ah cool thanks for the info. The favor asking from your liege does seem good.

We are looking to start a count and duke playthrough, probably in France. Anyone got any recommended mods or settings for staying as minor lords?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Captain Beans posted:

Ah cool thanks for the info. The favor asking from your liege does seem good.

We are looking to start a count and duke playthrough, probably in France. Anyone got any recommended mods or settings for staying as minor lords?

Count of Vermandios, 1066. The last Karling.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Cowardly absolver is a little harsh, don't you think game? I don't think anyone should have that unless they're craven.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

Cowardly absolver is a little harsh, don't you think game? I don't think anyone should have that unless they're craven.
Yeah, the two word summaries are strangely cruel. Plus they do such a bad job actually describing the character that they’re useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

When your dad names you “baby” you get psychological problems