Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Hand Knit posted:

Why is neither TSN nor Sportsnet carrying today’s game?

US channels aren't either, only NHL Network, no ESPN+. It's real funny that the NHL has a special overseas season opener and most people can't actually watch it.

Guess I'll watch the NL wildcard instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Singing the US anthem in a game in Czechia is so loving stupid holy hell

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

US channels aren't either, only NHL Network, no ESPN+. It's real funny that the NHL has a special overseas season opener and most people can't actually watch it.

Yeah it does rather seem like the big NA broadcasters like to pretend these games aren't even happening and say the regular season really starts on the 11th.

Well, at least Europe cares.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

So Dom and Sean Gentille went in and made Eye Test adjustments to players they thought were over/underrated by the model, to see how it affected the overall team standings:

https://twitter.com/domluszczyszyn/status/1578445544426348544?s=20&t=usF0JuS1Spwbq1AC9Es2wg

People will be happy to see the Leafs are no longer the Best Team in the League but I think they’re probably too high on Colorado, the roster is pretty reduced and their goaltending is pretty suspect. The model has Georgiev worth the same as Swayman and Talbot which seems… not right. I’m surprised they downgraded the Bruins and Panthers as much as they did.

OldSenileGuy posted:

Sure, but on the Rangers he'd just have to clear the bar of "better than Jimmy Vesey". Does he clear that bar?

There’s at least a couple guys hitting the waiver wire every day that clear that particular bar, imo

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Hand Knit posted:

Why is neither TSN nor Sportsnet carrying today’s game?

I'm guessing SN has baseball playoffs, and TSN is doing pregame for the Leafs game tonight.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

FBS posted:

I'm guessing SN has baseball playoffs, and TSN is doing pregame for the Leafs game tonight.

I don't think TSN is allowed to do it since they only have regional rights to some of the Canadian teams so it would have to be on some Rogers channel and Rogers is all in on the Jays right now. They'd specifically have to buy the game off of Rogers and that seems like a messy deal.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Andreas Johnsson is on waivers, I still remember arguing that Dubas needed to trade that guy off his 15% shooting rookie season and being shouted at because the Leafs needed him for “forward depth”. That must have been before Cam Charon schooled the front office about sh%, because Dubas immediately signed him $3.4Mx4 (with an NTC kicking in this year), then traded him for peanuts in a cap dump the following year after it was clear he sucked.

Keefe also scratched Nick Robertson (who was their only bottom-6 forward that scored a goal in the series) for Johnsson’s injured body to do nothing in game 5 against the Bluejackets, a game they were shut out in.

Anyway Dubas really sucks at signing contracts and Sheldon Keefe is a moron.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/JacketsInsider/status/1578195349512114177?t=VkIECDmNpe52nyOBvuwhCw&s=19

I love hockey.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

FBS posted:

TSN is showing talk shows.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
NHL Network is showing the game and every commercial is for a reverse mortgage, adult diapers, dental insurance for seniors, or lawsuits with BIG cash settlements that YOU may be entitled to.

gj NHL

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Bard Maddox posted:

The Athletic put out their optimism and hope rankings fan survey for the year out today. here’s the passage we all came here for (it’s a scale from 0-100):

https://theathletic.com/3666578/2022/10/07/nhl-hope-o-meter/?source=user_shared_article

ZOMG they picked my quote lol. Pessimist Kraken. Amazing.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The lack of motion blur on the board ads illustrated.

At least they're less animated than I feared. The ads can have a couple of seconds of animation right after each ad change but otherwise they're still. I'll get used to them, but I still hate them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Are the Preds & Sharks playing in Europe? Is that why they are playing regular season games at the same time as preseason games?

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Yes

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Are the Preds & Sharks playing in Europe? Is that why they are playing regular season games at the same time as preseason games?

Yes. And they probably set the dates for these games months (maybe half a year) before starting to consider the rest of the schedule.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

TSN wouldn't have rights to the game and Sportsnet chose the millions watching the Jays over 100k watching the hockey game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s definitely not millions, but a hell of a lot more than an afternoon game between 2 American teams that suck.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Luke Kunin led all Sharks forwards in ice time today

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

Luke Kunin led all Sharks forwards in ice time today

there's a bit of an irony to that given he was a 4th liner last year on the team that trounced his today
e: good god are they using him on the 1st powerplay
that is dire

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

It’s definitely not millions, but a hell of a lot more than an afternoon game between 2 American teams that suck.

It definitely is millions of viewers. They averaged like 3.5 million per the last time they made the playoffs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It definitely is millions of viewers. They averaged like 3.5 million per the last time they made the playoffs.

A few years ago when they went deep, with later games pushing the average up yeah.

Last year’s ratings sucked, and it’s an afternoon game 1 on a work day.

It takes at least a round won to become Canada’s team. Like Homer and the Isotopes.

Still a better call than Preds/Sharks. Those two could be in a finals game 7 and I’m not sure any Canadians would care.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 7, 2022

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Still a better call than Preds/Sharks. Those two could be in a finals game 7 and I’m not sure any Canadians would care.

One time I tuned in to a Sharks/Golden Knights playoff game in the 3rd period and was about to give up on it because surely the Sharks couldn't make up a three goal deficit but it definitely ended up worth my while.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
That was a) hilarious and b) bullshit

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I know preseason blah blah blah but Sid/Guentzel/Rakell looks fun so far

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

When does the injury curse usually kick in for the Pens?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Blueger is already hurt

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Blueger is already hurt

I meant for Crosby specifically but I forgot its a team wide curse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
For Rakell figure sometime in the next few days.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lol Caps are already there with Oshie. And yet both the Pens and Caps will still probably make the playoffs.

:corsair:

I really want one more Pens/Caps series before Ovi and Crosby hang up the skates for good.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Furnaceface posted:

One month to 6 weeks into the season usually. Last year they started with no Sid or Geno with Letang then getting tweaked/hurt a few weeks into the season.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hey who remembers Hockey Scores

https://twitter.com/SA__moment/status/1578546868006502401?s=20&t=tgd7Scpd0lPdvpkBU0ywoA

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

the gunshots get me every time.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Sorry Malkin, you never get the new toys

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
because of the stupid games in Europe, I thought every team was starting tonight for some reason, and then I realized it's preseason and I don't care!!!

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
I watch that video every year, no joke.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1578575792367611905

welcome to the deal zone

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

can i get a deal on like milk, and eggs, and bread?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Arivia posted:

the canucks will trade you a future 4th and and a moldy loaf of bread for your $1.49

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the canucks shedding good assets to get rid of bad contracts, a tale as old as time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

I can offer you 10 Timbits (R) for $1.99.