Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
O chem is tight but also I am pretty sure I was near breakdown that entire year. Chemistry is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

If you've never failed any higher chemistry course in uni, then have you truly gone to school?

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Immanentized posted:

I'm using it in the appropriate academic/clinical population context in accordance with APA 7 guidance.

E: there is of course, literally no other appropriate use of the term outside of an inclusive population metric in stuff like education Policy and statistical representation.

I really don’t care what APA 7 guidelines say. I mean if you’re being pressured to write a certain way because of fake woke academia, by all means, do what it takes to keep your job. But let’s be real for a second here. This is an artificial term that doesn’t even represent us for the most part. First we were Hispanic, then we became Latino/Latina, now all of a sudden we’re supposed to be Latinx because some dicksuck ivory tower motherfucker wanted to reinvent the wheel that is the Spanish language? Get the gently caress outta here with that bullshit.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Also this seems poignant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BNADKp1Vio

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Crab Dad posted:

I really don’t like how vague “Latin” is. Never felt it.
Much prefer Chicano myself.
Aztec Warrior to my friends and enemies.

I feel this. If it works for your people, it works. At least people actually say that poo poo though. gently caress a latinx or a LATIN@ lmfao how is this a thing too? And who said it was widely accepted? APA? Really? I can’t even loving Google ‘Latin@ usage’ and get a useful result on page 1. Please tell me who first said it and please tell me they are dead so I can piss on their grave. Tia.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

TheWeedNumber posted:

I really don’t care what APA 7 guidelines say. I mean if you’re being pressured to write a certain way because of fake woke academia, by all means, do what it takes to keep your job. But let’s be real for a second here. This is an artificial term that doesn’t even represent us for the most part. First we were Hispanic, then we became Latino/Latina, now all of a sudden we’re supposed to be Latinx because some dicksuck ivory tower motherfucker wanted to reinvent the wheel that is the Spanish language? Get the gently caress outta here with that bullshit.

Brace yourself, Xicano is next.

e: I'm not justifying the terms or the use, I just look into how autistic kids of non-white backgrounds can have an easier time in school. think that the language requirements are largely self-servicing for academia, but when it comes to presenting research, using sterile language is key for repeating processed and outcomes. The tortured terminology is just folks (many of whom are from those backgrounds) trying to make right 400+ years of bullshit white dudes.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 8, 2022

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Platystemon posted:

Someone in the C‑SPAM New York Times thread has personal knowledge of the guy.

Reminds me of my Calc 2 class where the passing grade ended up being ~20 (out of 100). In that case it was a graduate / PhD level professor who decided he wanted to write an undergrad Calc textbook despite never having taught at that level since his TA days, and we ended up being his first guinea pig course. The school ultimately decided they couldn't make 200 students retake it just because they hosed up with the instructor so they waived most of us through.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I had an econ class as a freshman where the prof went into it first day and said "I'm teaching this like a grad class and most of you will get blown out; if you get a 40 on my exams you're getting an A" and it actually worked pretty well. Much of the score was predicated on homework and participation so even if you got rocked on the exams you could easily make it up. I remember liking it 24 years ago geez I'm getting old.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Uhm, why don’t we just use the term Latin, checkmate neoliberals?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't have a dog in it either way, but I know the people I always turn to and trust about whether something is a good or bad thing for the english language and its usage would be americans old enough to have been involved in mass media or where old enough to have coherent opinions to be interviewed about tv in the early 1970's

Yeah! These old MINORITIES will accept whatever I want to call em!1! Stupid OLD BITCH111

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
oh poo poo there was a current event guys

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1578626331113586688?s=20&t=3Dh9D3tYvtODSU2DiANFYw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hope that Mostik is all right.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/JohnHinckley20/status/1578445799792717824

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You don’t, you just pat yourself on the back excessively for being “one of the good ones” and assuage any and all white guilt.

Same thing as pumping $9.99 a month to your local NPR station, basically.

It's worse. At least my monthly :10bux: gets me a license plate thingy for my car and lets me watch Nova whenever I want.

As a honky norteamericano, my biggest gripe with latinx/@/e-i-e-i-o is that they're all unpronounceable in Spanish.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 8, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Immanentized posted:

Brace yourself, Xicano is next.

e: I'm not justifying the terms or the use, I just look into how autistic kids of non-white backgrounds can have an easier time in school. think that the language requirements are largely self-servicing for academia, but when it comes to presenting research, using sterile language is key for repeating processed and outcomes. The tortured terminology is just folks (many of whom are from those backgrounds) trying to make right 400+ years of bullshit white dudes.

That’s great for your research but I asked you, politely, to refrain from using it on here. Just here. I pointed out that there’s a small percentage of people who even identify with the term, assuming they are aware of it in the first place, and other good poo poo like that. You ignored me and hit me with the APA 7 like I’m supposed to be like “oh poo poo, he played his trap card. Gotta go, not tryna get trapped in the shadow realm b” and walk away. Nah gently caress that and your weak rear end attempt at laning me, and gently caress your weak rear end edit claiming to not justify the term. You already justified it. You cited the same guidelines that claim LATIN@ is a “widely accepted” thing. A thing that the vast majority of people in the target group have never heard of. A thing I can’t even loving Google to check up on.

As someone who is part of the research group you claim to work with (autistic, non-white background) I think I’d have a easier time at university if my eyes didn’t roll so hard every time some out of touch ivory tower dicksuck shits out an article trying to fix something that doesn’t need fixing. I doubt any of the promoters of these fake rear end, artificial terms, are from “those backgrounds”. Because even if they share the blood, they don’t share the rarefied air they live in. This is some poo poo some elite came up with while sipping Prosecco and eating hors d'oeuvres at some liberal loving soirée.

I figured you were a chill dude at first, got no reason not to, but all you’ve demonstrated is that you’re an unrepentant rear end in a top hat who thinks they are right in the face of the evidence. You don’t actually give a gently caress what “those people” think because you’re one of the good ones! You know better! You got THE COLLEGE under your belt. You can’t possibly be wrong at all!

Fam you are wrong. You are literally part of the population we are complaining about who is trying to force the use of this bullshit rear end terminology on us. You are literally the cited problem in those articles I linked, namely the “Ivy League Ivory Tower” type that uses this term to be hip and poo poo. Well meaning or not, it’s not welcome.

Stop loving trying to tell me what I, and others like me, am. gently caress your APA guidelines, gently caress the APA, gently caress you, gently caress your mother, and your sperm donor father. And every last one of your ancestors that should have wore a rubber.

I’m out. My eyes are rolling so hard I’m about to become cockeyed.

P.S. I hope you never make it in academia and stay broke as gently caress working for like 2-3 different universities tryna make enough money to afford ramen and rent. Bitch made fake woke dick pimple looking rear end motherfucker.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 8, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Blind Rasputin posted:

Uhm, why don’t we just use the term Latin, checkmate neoliberals?

Idk. It sure makes a lot more sense than latinx or Latin@imoneofthegoodones.edu

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Midjack posted:

I had an econ class as a freshman where the prof went into it first day and said "I'm teaching this like a grad class and most of you will get blown out; if you get a 40 on my exams you're getting an A" and it actually worked pretty well. Much of the score was predicated on homework and participation so even if you got rocked on the exams you could easily make it up. I remember liking it 24 years ago geez I'm getting old.

I had a 9 week stats class in undergrad where the instructor, despite the syllabus, said "I'm going to take the time to help you understand this. If it means we only get to chapter 4, so be it."

I think we got to chapter 5.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is incorrect. Black market is cheaper for some things, but not all. I got a half ounce for $50 yesterday that is equal or higher quality than any black market weed. Black market kind bud, which matches up around 14% from the dispensary, is around $60/eighth.

Vapes and such, yeah, you can get those cheaper, but flower is absolutely not unless you're deliberately buying the most expensive stuff.

FL also has fantastic labeling and testing requirements. The weed you get is literally the percentage on the label. I had weed in legal states with less regulation, and despite claims about being 20%+, nothing was as good as even the 15% stuff here in FL.

I have had the exact opposite experience. Legal weed here has been beyond hit and miss from every dispensary we've tried, and most of it I would barely even class as decent much less good. Especially the edibles and concentrates.

CO and CA kicked the dog poo poo out of it in every respect, while being cheaper and way fuckin easier to use.

Also I'm white as gently caress but most of my friend group are some variety of latino/Hispanic/choose your term, and I've never heard latinx be used outside of making fun of white people for using it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

If I may invoke my technical expertise "Oh that bridge is hosed"

e: Also lolz

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1578634825417650176?s=20&t=llwrO6f4LgTci2zZ4UCWyA

2e: Lol Putin saying the rail bridge will be open later in the day. Kinda surprised it didn't take out the road in both directions. That cleanup will suck they'll at least be able to get traffic going. The spans of that rail bridge are going to be hosed though.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 8, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

2e: Lol Putin saying the rail bridge will be open later in the day

How about the noodle road next to it

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

How about the noodle road next to it

It survived the impact and its not on fire. It'll live. They'll have to take a look at it and maybe put in some temporary shoring.

e: Looks like its a little scorched, mangled up some of the scaffolding and it blew out the guard rail. Hard to tell from the pics running around. I'd guess the deck is a little damaged but the superstructure and piers are fine.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 8, 2022

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

TheWeedNumber posted:

That’s great for your research but I asked you, politely, to refrain from using it on here. Just here. I pointed out that there’s a small percentage of people who even identify with the term, assuming they are aware of it in the first place, and other good poo poo like that. You ignored me and hit me with the APA 7 like I’m supposed to be like “oh poo poo, he played his trap card. Gotta go, not tryna get trapped in the shadow realm b” and walk away. Nah gently caress that and your weak rear end attempt at laning me, and gently caress your weak rear end edit claiming to not justify the term. You already justified it. You cited the same guidelines that claim LATIN@ is a “widely accepted” thing. A thing that the vast majority of people in the target group have never heard of. A thing I can’t even loving Google to check up on.

As someone who is part of the research group you claim to work with (autistic, non-white background) I think I’d have a easier time at university if my eyes didn’t roll so hard every time some out of touch ivory tower dicksuck shits out an article trying to fix something that doesn’t need fixing. I doubt any of the promoters of these fake rear end, artificial terms, are from “those backgrounds”. Because even if they share the blood, they don’t share the rarefied air they live in. This is some poo poo some elite came up with while sipping Prosecco and eating hors d'oeuvres at some liberal loving soirée.

I figured you were a chill dude at first, got no reason not to, but all you’ve demonstrated is that you’re an unrepentant rear end in a top hat who thinks they are right in the face of the evidence. You don’t actually give a gently caress what “those people” think because you’re one of the good ones! You know better! You got THE COLLEGE under your belt. You can’t possibly be wrong at all!

Fam you are wrong. You are literally part of the population we are complaining about who is trying to force the use of this bullshit rear end terminology on us. You are literally the cited problem in those articles I linked, namely the “Ivy League Ivory Tower” type that uses this term to be hip and poo poo. Well meaning or not, it’s not welcome.

Stop loving trying to tell me what I, and others like me, am. gently caress your APA guidelines, gently caress the APA, gently caress you, gently caress your mother, and your sperm donor father. And every last one of your ancestors that should have wore a rubber.

I’m out. My eyes are rolling so hard I’m about to become cockeyed.

P.S. I hope you never make it in academia and stay broke as gently caress working for like 2-3 different universities tryna make enough money to afford ramen and rent. Bitch made fake woke dick pimple looking rear end motherfucker.

Lol. :discourse:

Edit: "Latinx" is still hilarious to hear someone say it irl; the most awkward word besides "Italianx".

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 8, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SquirrelyPSU posted:

It survived the impact and its not on fire. It'll live. They'll have to take a look at it and maybe put in some temporary shoring.

e: Looks like its a little scorched, mangled up some of the scaffolding and it blew out the guard rail. Hard to tell from the pics running around. I'd guess the deck is a little damaged but the superstructure and piers are fine.

That's assuming the bridge wasn't built with load bearing grift quality steel and concrete.

The bridge itself was actually built by a dutch company. So I doubt that Russia has the equipment to get it fully back to normal.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 8, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
No war but classroom war

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Eason the Fifth posted:

No war but classroom war

Calm down Roger Waters

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

That's assuming the bridge wasn't built with load bearing grift quality steel and concrete.

I'm kind of surprised they put scaffolding in. That's a thing you do to aid in inspection. So at least they were thinking ahead a little bit. Also that they had a construction joint in between the two directions. But your point is valid. Either Putin had the engineering plans done in advance or it went from proposed to constructed in a little over 3 years, which is obscenely fast.

e: Ah, I'm reading that this goes back to WW2, so someone had the plans ready to go in a desk drawer probably.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 8, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm kind of surprised they put scaffolding in. That's a thing you do to aid in inspection. So at least they were thinking ahead a little bit. Also that they had a construction joint in between the two directions. But your point is valid. Either Putin had the engineering plans done in advance or it went from proposed to constructed in a little over 3 years, which is obscenely fast.

Like I said, because the Dutch actually planned and built it.

https://twitter.com/AlyaShandra/sta...ingawful.com%2F

https://twitter.com/HereAsABackUp/status/1578746251876892672?t=94MambrUYsYjNEsuBnft-g&s=19

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Oh hey, how about that.

e: Oh here we go, this is a very good breakdown:

https://twitter.com/N_Waters89/status/1578676557518098438

2e: Well I guess it got a bit of the superstructure. The side bridge is down to one lane and I guess they're only letting 10 cars through at a time:

https://twitter.com/KramarenkoMari3/status/1578763320466604032?s=20&t=77CC60keAGS-RmL86Wk0gA

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 8, 2022

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BadOptics posted:

Lol. :discourse:

Edit: "Latinx" is still hilarious to hear someone say it irl; the most awkward word besides "Italianx".

As you can see, I really hate the term. I feel quite embarrassed for posting what I posted but whatever it’s done. At the same time, poo poo has me feeling like this.

https://twitter.com/electionlegal/status/1524186265310085120

yes I know that yakub poo poo isn’t real. Meme still works

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 8, 2022

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EDIT: Never mind.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TheWeedNumber posted:

gently caress you, gently caress your mother, and your sperm donor father. And every last one of your ancestors that should have wore a rubber.

For the record, this is where you went off the rails.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grip it and rip it posted:

Yeah! These old MINORITIES will accept whatever I want to call em!1! Stupid OLD BITCH111

I was speaking specifically about the english language in america, because my parents and a non trivial portion of that generation get mad about certain words that you shouldn't say and poo poo like the use of singular-third person they. I assume it's the same with all cultures, but hey I'm willing to believe its just white old people with lovely ideas about race, gender, and identity.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

100% of the people I know irl who identify as Latinx and think Latino/latina should be abolished identify as female and 100% of the people I know irl who identify as Latino and think Latinx should be abolished identify as male. Both groups get mad at me and compare it to ethnic deadnaming when I refer to the other group in the way they choose to identify in front of them.

Fake e: I do not know anyone who identify as as latina who prefers Latina to latinx

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The dozens of people who identify as latinx

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The dozens of people who identify as latinx

are NPR employees.

Rytheric
Jan 26, 2021

Now imaging if you will that next to the scrap wood shoe matt (damn right im going to have people kick off their shoes before entering my tiny home) a rocking chair or camping chair, and then beside that a small grill or sawn off 55-gallon barrel sitting on top of a wire spool.
Just a simple google seach shows that latine is prefered over latinx. Latine or latini is recommended by spanish speaking scholars and actually makes sense to the spanish language since many words have e or i ending to facilitate flow. When i was learning spanish my friend, if i misprounced something horridly he would tell me that if he said it that way that it would be like stuffing a sock in his mouth mid sentence, that it would taste bad and interrupt the flow. Latine was derived from non-binary and feminist groups in spanish speaking countries. As someone who went through the rigors of academia, id tell the apa to stuff a sock in it, get over themselves, and stop calling cultures something other than what they call themselves. Academics are not immune from problematic language.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

iwentdoodie posted:

I have had the exact opposite experience. Legal weed here has been beyond hit and miss from every dispensary we've tried, and most of it I would barely even class as decent much less good. Especially the edibles and concentrates.

CO and CA kicked the dog poo poo out of it in every respect, while being cheaper and way fuckin easier to use.

Also I'm white as gently caress but most of my friend group are some variety of latino/Hispanic/choose your term, and I've never heard latinx be used outside of making fun of white people for using it.

:rip:

I guess it depends on the dispensary and some may be better than others. The absolute best chocolate I've had was from vidacann. The dark chocolate cherry tasted like a loving chocolate covered cherry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I just want us to appreciate this illustration.

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1578745787345178626

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nice! posted:

:rip:

I guess it depends on the dispensary and some may be better than others. The absolute best chocolate I've had was from vidacann. The dark chocolate cherry tasted like a loving chocolate covered cherry.

Chocolate can be weird this one company from FL, called moon men iirc used to make a fantastic delta 8 milk chocolate, but later they switched something and it went to tasting like rear end. Pretty much gummies now for that stuff.

Also Friday night sales are the best. I had $30 in reward points on top of the original deal, so the total came to…and I kid you not $69 down from $180.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Soylent Pudding posted:

100% of the people I know irl who identify as Latinx and think Latino/latina should be abolished identify as female and 100% of the people I know irl who identify as Latino and think Latinx should be abolished identify as male. Both groups get mad at me and compare it to ethnic deadnaming when I refer to the other group in the way they choose to identify in front of them.

Fake e: I do not know anyone who identify as as latina who prefers Latina to latinx

I have no reason to doubt you. But, assuming you are and they are American, it sounds like the type of anomaly only we could produce here. I wonder where you are at and where you met all these folks. Condolences on being caught in the crossfire also. But there really shouldn’t be a debate on anything except maybe Latine. Latinx shouldn’t exist, period.