Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kenning posted:

People don't realize that lots of food products are relatively close in energy density to gasoline. Just put sugar in your tank, it'll save money this holiday season.

I tried that and now I've got a snotty Englishman siphoning my gas! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
when I was a kid gasoline was always used as the example of an inelastic good lol

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

What politician likes high gas prices?

I mean, I bet Brian Dahle is enjoying high gas prices existing just as people start to get their ballots. He's still not going to beat GavBot, but it might get him a little bump.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Expensive gas drives people towards more trucks, SUVs, and lower MPG vehicles in general.
You're gonna need to back that claim up.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

fermun posted:

You're gonna need to back that claim up.

These is literally a link in my post dude.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I have to drive to live lol. I moved to Grizzly Flats this week. It's only about a gallon and a half round trip because it's a nice easy grade to Placerville, but $6 versus $10 or more adds up fast as gently caress. It would be nice if this wasn't necessary but even if all economic concerns didn't exist and I could live in whatever city I wanted, most of the ones in California either have no public transit or lovely transit where you have to plan your entire day around the bus route with contingencies for it being late. It's not like I don't have to do that with driving myself, but since I have the agency in that situation it's a lot easier to fix.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

DeadlyMuffin posted:

These is literally a link in my post dude.

You wrote more expensive == more trucks when you meant to write inexpensive?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

droll posted:

You wrote more expensive == more trucks when you meant to write inexpensive?

Yep, fixing it

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Regarding gas prices and electric cars: expensive gas drives people towards smaller more efficient vehicles. Inexpensive gas drives people towards more trucks, SUVs, and lower MPG vehicles in general.
I read what you're saying but I'm still mad that there aren't any real compact pickup trucks in the US market anymore.
Where's my loving compact Ford Ranger, Ford?!?!

If you want a bed to chuck tools and haul some stuff in the back of your vehicle, the only choice for trucks are pretty much big and bigger. Annoys me to no end.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 6, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's specifically a tariff on vehicles like that and it (successfully) drove down interest on stuff like those tiny 80s Nissan pickups, so even though Toyota etc manufacture in the states now there's no longer any market for them. because nobody has made anything besides Ford Rangers in 20 years, and those are abysmally bad

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Larry Parrish posted:

there's specifically a tariff on vehicles like that and it (successfully) drove down interest on stuff like those tiny 80s Nissan pickups, so even though Toyota etc manufacture in the states now there's no longer any market for them. because nobody has made anything besides Ford Rangers in 20 years, and those are abysmally bad
Blegh. Figures. Would have like to see more of a market like that with competitive options, since yeah we only had the Ford Ranger basically. Abysmal as it may have been, It was the perfect truck for throwing tools in the back of the bed and going around the farm. Maybe you need the mid or full size to lug around large stuff, but a compact truck was great for just throwing some fertilizer bags, buckets, posthole diggger, a shovel and maybe pick, pruning shears, and some various tools... you could get a lot done during the day without a big hulking truck.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah. Unfortunately the Ranger is basically like a Honda Ridgeline- it's not engineered as an actual truck, it's an existing line of passenger vehicles sloppily cut into a truck, so it's a piece of poo poo. The shocks love to explode on Rangers even without load. Also it has your classic piece of poo poo Ford engine. I'd kill for the ability to actually buy a diesel Hilux or even smaller truck without paying a literal 25% tariff on top of international vehicle shipping prices. More diesels in general, really. They tend to be better on mileage than gasoline engines, and they're generally better for my kind of use case anyway. Unfortunately basically every diesel made here is either a huge truck that gets 9 miles to the gallon or commercial equipment

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Time to bring back those 1970s sedan chassis coupe utility cars ala chevy El camino. Just stick a battery in em. Australia never stopped making them. Google "Australian ute". They cut a regular car in half and put a tray on it.

droll fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 6, 2022

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Ford had stopped making the Ranger back in 2011 then recently reintroduced the Ranger as an option but now it's a small mid-size pickup truck instead of a large compact pickup truck, although they have also introduced a new compact pickup truck, the Maverick.

It's 5'8" tall, a truck built on the Ford Focus chasis, only comes in the 4-door model with a 4'5" wide, 4'6" long bed. The main issue with it is that Ford doesn't truly believe there's a demand for compact pickup trucks, so they don't make nearly as many as they need to, and they've also started doing the Tesla pre-order thing. As a result the 2022 model year was fully sold by November 2021, the 2023 model year is already sold out. There's no way to just get it at a dealership either because Ford is trying to switch to a direct-to-consumer model for all new vehicles to make their dealerships just for used cars, so some models, like the Maverick just do not show up at dealerships as new cars unless you've pre-ordered and selected a dealership to have your car be shipped to.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that thing looks like someone took a sawzall to a focus. i don't even think it has a different suspension, my aunt's like 2004 focus has the exact same ground clearance and angle. anyway i get why city slickers really liked stuff like El Caminos (and they ARE cool...) but they're really bad at all the stuff trucks are supposed to be for. like, y'know, 4 wheel drive and a lot of torque and an ability to carry heavy things.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
it's a different suspension than the focus and it's a chassis that is just 4 years old. you can buy trims that have additional ground clearance and are meant to do off-roading, as well as options to boost its rear suspension and boost its trailer capacity, but all the extra things start really pricing it out of a reasonable price range. like if you want it to be able to off-road and also carry more than a couple thousand pounds in the bed and also pull more than a couple thousand pounds, you're looking at like $32,000, which is just loving absurd.

but really, most people that have trucks don't use the truck for things that the truck is for, so having the utility of a truck for the very rare times it's needed while also having it be a 5 passenger vehicle that has a bed and an ability to tow more than a car can while also getting over 30mpg is good.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol you don't gotta remind me. this is the land of the little dick truck, they love them out here. lifted rams with immaculate paint jobs that would probably detonate their poorly installed shocks like a grenade if you went over a speed bump too fast. anyway i have a tough time believing a Ford anything is good or useful, but if it wasn't at such a ridiculously low supply and inflated price that might be good. unfortunately a Tacoma is about 15k cheaper for only slightly worse milage, lol.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My recent hobby is tweeting pictures of my '79 GMC parked next to a badly parked brodozer and asking which one can lay a piece of plywood flat in the bed

Edit: For example, https://mobile.twitter.com/CPColin/status/1571188377860571136

CPColin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 6, 2022

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true

BeAuMaN posted:

Blegh. Figures. Would have like to see more of a market like that with competitive options, since yeah we only had the Ford Ranger basically. Abysmal as it may have been, It was the perfect truck for throwing tools in the back of the bed and going around the farm. Maybe you need the mid or full size to lug around large stuff, but a compact truck was great for just throwing some fertilizer bags, buckets, posthole diggger, a shovel and maybe pick, pruning shears, and some various tools... you could get a lot done during the day without a big hulking truck.

Most farmers I know do this with gators or other small utility ATVs. Unless you are on a really huge acerage

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

CPColin posted:

My recent hobby is tweeting pictures of my '79 GMC parked next to a badly parked brodozer and asking which one can lay a piece of plywood flat in the bed

Edit: For example, https://mobile.twitter.com/CPColin/status/1571188377860571136

American truck design is just the dumbest loving thing, chucking function straight out the window for form & image. Glorified minivans with a useless, vestigial bed that gets 10 mpg, barely fits in a normal parking stall, and sightlines so bad you'd almost have to intentionally design them to be that way. I got a work truck in the early 2000's and actually had to do some finagling to get a basic 2wd Chevy 2500 with a regular cab and an 8' bed.

Every work truck driving into the city these days is a 4wd lifted brick that stays on pavement 95% of the year, it's just loving dumb. And yeah, none of them can even fit a full sheet of plywood in the bed.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

The Clitoris posted:

Most farmers I know do this with gators or other small utility ATVs. Unless you are on a really huge acerage
We have an older gator; would have preferred we got a better utility ATV instead mainly because it's too low to the ground if you get into deep mud from a broken irrigation line situation.

Gator works okay for that though I admit.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

idiotsavant posted:

American truck design is just the dumbest loving thing, chucking function straight out the window for form & image. Glorified minivans with a useless, vestigial bed that gets 10 mpg, barely fits in a normal parking stall, and sightlines so bad you'd almost have to intentionally design them to be that way. I got a work truck in the early 2000's and actually had to do some finagling to get a basic 2wd Chevy 2500 with a regular cab and an 8' bed.

Every work truck driving into the city these days is a 4wd lifted brick that stays on pavement 95% of the year, it's just loving dumb. And yeah, none of them can even fit a full sheet of plywood in the bed.

A chrysler minivan can fit a sheet of plywood in the back, once you fold down the seats.

Hackbacks and minivans are the utility vehicles for 95% of the real world world use cases. But instead the US is obsessed with lifted and lovely versions in SUVs, crossovers, and extended cab monster trucks.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Modern pickup trucks are more of a golden rich person status chariot than electrics but they put a guy in flannel in the commercial so it's ok

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

jetz0r posted:

A chrysler minivan can fit a sheet of plywood in the back, once you fold down the seats.

Hackbacks and minivans are the utility vehicles for 95% of the real world world use cases. But instead the US is obsessed with lifted and lovely versions in SUVs, crossovers, and extended cab monster trucks.

I can and have hauled 2 full-sized wine barrels in the back of my Honda Fit, and if I really wanted to go nuts I could probably cram a 3rd in the passenger seat up front. It's pretty silly just how much poo poo you can cram into it. WRT other alternatives, at least you're seeing more of the small utility vans around these days

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

droll posted:

Time to bring back those 1970s sedan chassis coupe utility cars ala chevy El camino. Just stick a battery in em. Australia never stopped making them. Google "Australian ute". They cut a regular car in half and put a tray on it.

I'm not sure what i want more, this or a Subaru Baja.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
TLDR is that the LAPD cop who was killed during training awhile back, seems his family says it wasnt accidental and it was because he was investigating 4 other cops who raped a girl, one cop was the 'accidental' killer

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-10-05/internal-lapd-report-rules-that-officers-training-death-was-an-accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3CwR05gHA

https://twitter.com/DrRJKavanagh/status/1577104442444238848

"In addition, Mr Tipping secured sworn statements from a nurse and a paramedic who said the officer's spinal cord was injured, his lung had collapsed, his ribs had been broken and his liver had been damaged in a way consistent with being beaten.

“When you look at all these horrific injuries, the truth is something went seriously wrong here,” Mr Gage said. “I cannot fathom anything other than a severe beating.”

The Los Angeles County Coroner concluded that Mr Tipping died from a spinal cord injury sustained during the training exercise. The coroner's report also claims Mr Tipping's ribs were broken by a LUCAS device, which is an automatic CPR machine."

OgNar fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 6, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess they did learn a lesson after Chris Dorner.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

OgNar posted:

The Los Angeles County Coroner concluded that Mr Tipping died from a spinal cord injury sustained during the training exercise. The coroner's report also claims Mr Tipping's ribs were broken by a LUCAS device, which is an automatic CPR machine."

ha they're just gonna blame it all on the LUCAS

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Saw someone driving around a 1970s Toyota Hilux the other day and for the first time in decades I felt a twinkle of truck love.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

El Mero Mero posted:

Saw someone driving around a 1970s Toyota Hilux the other day and for the first time in decades I felt a twinkle of truck love.

Yeah, I wish there were modern trucks along these lines.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Modern pickup trucks are more of a golden rich person status chariot than electrics but they put a guy in flannel in the commercial so it's ok

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ram-1500-named-2020-luxury-car-of-the-year-by-carscom-300986532.html

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

OgNar posted:

TLDR is that the LAPD cop who was killed during training awhile back, seems his family says it wasnt accidental and it was because he was investigating 4 other cops who raped a girl, one cop was the 'accidental' killer

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-10-05/internal-lapd-report-rules-that-officers-training-death-was-an-accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_3CwR05gHA

https://twitter.com/DrRJKavanagh/status/1577104442444238848

"In addition, Mr Tipping secured sworn statements from a nurse and a paramedic who said the officer's spinal cord was injured, his lung had collapsed, his ribs had been broken and his liver had been damaged in a way consistent with being beaten.

“When you look at all these horrific injuries, the truth is something went seriously wrong here,” Mr Gage said. “I cannot fathom anything other than a severe beating.”

the lawyer dude seems eminently reasonable and i hope he wins his case. this whole thing is so hosed up

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

ha they're just gonna blame it all on the LUCAS
Broken ribs from CPR are pretty common (spinal cord damage is not)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Foxfire_ posted:

(spinal cord damage is not)

Sure it is, CPR is a risky procedure for anyone to undergo. There's a reason we only do it in cases of cardiopulmonary arrest, in pretty much any other situation the risk:benefit calculus doesnt make sense (and yes, risk of spinal cord injury is real and present) :eng101:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would be funny if it was an actual accidental death because the cops think training on live people is more macho than a CPR dummy but he totally got whacked.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Sure it is, CPR is a risky procedure for anyone to undergo. There's a reason we only do it in cases of cardiopulmonary arrest, in pretty much any other situation the risk:benefit calculus doesnt make sense (and yes, risk of spinal cord injury is real and present) :eng101:
Everything I've read has spine damage rare, and rib fractures common (~25%) :shrug:

e.g.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6396442/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7468344/

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its cool that the the whole thing can be summarized as the cops literally beat a snitch to death and then said "whoops, didnt mean to...." lmao. like that the whole story. totally insane

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Is there a good resource for looking up all these judges on the ballot?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Assuming your local Democrat group isn't complete garbage they probably keep tabs on those people. I know the guys who run the area around here and they keep a file on judges/people running for judge. It's usually pretty thin though. Not exactly a hot office in the middle of nowhere like this. Although iirc they don't put it on their website and you have to ask them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Smythe posted:

when I was a kid gasoline was always used as the example of an inelastic good lol

It definitely is to some degree. People need to use gasoline to get to work to earn money. Businesses need to transport goods to get paid. There's only so many cost-cutting measures you can implement in a short time period to reduce consumption of gas when the price goes up. You might be able to carpool, you might reduce the number of trips you make, but in the end you still have to buy gasoline to get from point A to point B, and some level of travel is unavoidable for a number of people.