Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This is the first time I'm hearing that the thread existed, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Quixotic1 posted:

A recent episode of Podcast:The Ride(about theme parks and their adjacencies) was about the rocket man who flew in the Disney park and it was a joy having them discover the insane things having/wanting a jetpack does to a man. Especially since each of the hosts only did some research and we're piecing together the insanity, but not as good as the Fillip's coverage of it.

Men would rather bash the head of an associate for a chance of flight on a rocket backpack than goto therapy.

When I saw the episode title I thought "man if they only knew how crazy it got." Then they started turning the corner and it was great, even if they didn't do the full deep dive.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So like do the rocket packs work? That seems kinda cool….

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

kater posted:

So like do the rocket packs work? That seems kinda cool….

There are a bunch of them that work but they all seem insanely unsafe

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
And they work for a full 10 to 15 seconds.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
This is now the jetpack thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plIFUQ5BeqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtvCnZqZnxc

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 8, 2022

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

It's the Stargate SG-1 music that really makes that first one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

It's too bad all those cameramen scattered along the hills and the drone operator didn't look for the little girl while waiting for team jetpack to drive up the mountain.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

new Command and Conquer units just dropped

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I'm seeing on Twitter that The Past Times is apparently out? Anyone know where to find it?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
First episode is up on the Patreon

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
im seeing the dollop live on friday, bought 4 tickets, i have one friend that likes the show coming.

the other 2 tickets, i'm honestly afraid it's going to be too embarrassing to invite newbies along the way the shows been going

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Binowru posted:

I'm seeing on Twitter that The Past Times is apparently out? Anyone know where to find it?

What is the Past Times?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im seeing the dollop live on friday, bought 4 tickets, i have one friend that likes the show coming.

the other 2 tickets, i'm honestly afraid it's going to be too embarrassing to invite newbies along the way the shows been going

Invite your anti-union MAGA uncle.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
For the live shows, I feel like Dave searches for stories that are better for firing up a crowd. More fun, less doomerism.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SalTheBard posted:

What is the Past Times?

A new show where Dave picks a newspaper from a random date in history, then Gareth (and guest) get a blind reading of the highlights. (So, very much in-line with The Dollop, but Dave's going straight to the source rather than "aggregating" his story.)

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

That sounds fun, any word on if/when it will hit Spotify?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

JethroMcB posted:

A new show where Dave picks a newspaper from a random date in history, then Gareth (and guest) get a blind reading of the highlights. (So, very much in-line with The Dollop, but Dave's going straight to the source rather than "aggregating" his story.)

That sounds cool. Going to sign up for Patreon!

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Clip-On Fedora posted:

The Frank Sinatra in Austrailia episode is pretty loving amazing.

Seconded! It's the first episode in over a year (i think) that I immediately had to relisten to. I think I listened to it three times in about a week, something I haven't done in a long time. Garreth's Sinatra voice never gets old "BAY-BEE!"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Offler posted:

Seconded! It's the first episode in over a year (i think) that I immediately had to relisten to. I think I listened to it three times in about a week, something I haven't done in a long time. Garreth's Sinatra voice never gets old "BAY-BEE!"

I kept thinking his Sinatra kept lapsing into Rodney Dangerfield and thought for sure someone was going to call him on it but I guess its just me.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
It's not just you, bit I'm glad no one did because the conflation of Dangerfield and Sinatra got increasingly drat hilarious the longer it went.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its like Dave trying to do a carribean accent and landing on irish

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Offler posted:

It made me laugh because it’s basically just a slightly modified Rodney Dangerfield impression.

EDIT: super super beaten

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 27, 2022

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I didn't know they had a UK dollop series outside of the main feed.

Cyril the Swan rules

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
All the UK eps were pretty great iirc

for the queen

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the gin episode, while grim at times, is one of my go-to relistens. pints of gin!

i also listened to the past time episodes and it rules, big recommend. i didn't realize that (a) the dollop had a patreon and (b) it only costs like a dollar or two a month for no-ad episodes or i would have signed up long ago

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The new Past Times podcast just got posted to the regular Dollop feed

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Really enjoying the first episode of The Past Times. I work in newspaper archives, and Karen has it exactly right - 19th century newspapers were the outlet for street corner weirdos, similar to Jeffrey Jones on Deadwood. Basically the spam blogs/unhinged tweets of their day. They're completely filled with ads for snake oil and usually incomprehensible editorializing, and the important news of the day was always "John Smith saw a duck" or "Miss Jane traveled to the next town." Good stuff.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I love the part where the writer relaxes by going to a park to watch children and judge their mothers

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I’m aware of what the term meant at the time, but I just love the idea of trying to disguise the fact that your child is lame with a gaudy costume. A bunch of kids running around dresssed in 1880s kids attire, and then one of them is dressed like Lady Gaga and won’t stop talking about their stamp collection.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Past Times is such a killer concept, and executed well. Wish I wasn’t broke and could afford the Patreon

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
Going through the archives again, up to Judge Roy Bean. What a great episode. The bar-court, the bear, ending marriage ceremonies with "may God have mercy on your souls," suing a guy in his own court (needless to say, he won), fining a corpse forty dollars for carrying a concealed weapon (because they found a gun and forty dollars on the corpse), it just keeps going.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

beats for junkies posted:

Going through the archives again, up to Judge Roy Bean. What a great episode. The bar-court, the bear, ending marriage ceremonies with "may God have mercy on your souls," suing a guy in his own court (needless to say, he won), fining a corpse forty dollars for carrying a concealed weapon (because they found a gun and forty dollars on the corpse), it just keeps going.

If you like Bar Courts, might I recommend the newest live ep (which was very good!)

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

If you like Bar Courts, might I recommend the newest live ep (which was very good!)

"You can't hold me in contempt, you aren't here!"

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I'm alone in the factory for twelve hours again today and I had fun going through episodes yesterday, but I got a lot of doomer episodes. Anyone got any good lighthearted ones to check out for me? I tried out the Sinatra one somebody mentioned and it was great.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Pennsylvanian posted:

I'm alone in the factory for twelve hours again today and I had fun going through episodes yesterday, but I got a lot of doomer episodes. Anyone got any good lighthearted ones to check out for me? I tried out the Sinatra one somebody mentioned and it was great.

Jet Pack Madness, The Truck Nuts War, The Cocaine Pirates, Billy Carter, and George Lazenby are all a lot of fun

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

1908 New York To Paris Car Race
Loomis Fargo Heist
Jack Parsons
Elmer McCurdy
Michael Malloy
Kentucky Meat Shower
Phantom of the Open

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Dope, thanks. Already laughing into my respirator.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The past times was funny but the bit about the Dentaphone bothered me.

Like its just an unweildy early hearing aid that used bone conduction, idk why they thought it was so outlandish to hear through your teeth?

Obviously never had tooth tunes, the electric toothbrush that vibrated 2mins of a backstreet boys song directly into your head where they're from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Mr Phillby posted:

The past times was funny but the bit about the Dentaphone bothered me.

Like its just an unweildy early hearing aid that used bone conduction, idk why they thought it was so outlandish to hear through your teeth?

Obviously never had tooth tunes, the electric toothbrush that vibrated 2mins of a backstreet boys song directly into your head where they're from.

because it looks like this:

https://twitter.com/raeannrambles/status/1585297744151089153?s=20&t=W8AO5028Bx0cg80n29XhGQ