Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The penguins were great, too.

And don't forget Luigi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Though it was kind of hilariously telling that that trailer was 90% Jack Black having a blast as Bowser, 5% Keegan Michael Key selling you on the idea that he could play Toad, and then 2.5% Chris Pratt's Mario with the remainder being the penguins.

I honestly didn't realize that was Black as King Koopa at first.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The penguins were great, too.

And don't forget Luigi.

The penguin king was voiced by Khary Payton if you want proof of hiring a VA to do a VA's job.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Jack Black is great because he's basically doing a Steve Blum impression.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, some new promos came out recently for the first episode of Owl House Season 3 that’s scheduled to air on the 15th:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5C5hgbH9hJY

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8TwjqRIZMJg

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OYZVmX9FvIU

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zB9e0QhfyqE

Luz also makes a major appearance in the new Chibiverse episode that just released

Speaking of TOH, if you’re into the show I’d recommend staying off Twitter for a while as apparently some major spoilers regarding events later in the episode recently got leaked

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 8, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

For what it's worth, we've heard basically two lines from Chris Pratt as Mario so far, AND the man is an otherwise very charismatic actor and voice actor in basically every other situation he's been in so far that's not been this movie. He's the glue that holds The Lego Movie together, probably one of his most "Un-Chris Pratt-typecast character" roles to date. The down side to all that is while he's extremely charismatic and can carry a movie, he only really has one mode these days and it's being some variation of Star Lord, the fast-talking quippy smart-dumb gunslinger. For all we know, he could actually be the perfect choice for what this movie needed for its version of Mario, or it could be an absolutely disastrous miscast, we have no idea.

He's a charismatic actor on camera, but I feel like he's still kinda unproven as a voice actor. His "gimmick" in the Lego Movie was that Emmet was a fairly boring character (and as such, the stable one in the wild mess of wacky creatives). Although also the Lego Movie kinda has a thing against glue holding things together as well.

And I dunno, he seems like he has one major archetype that he's stuck to of the kinda dumpy hero that is handsome enough for Hollywood and is ultimately lovable enough to get past it. I feel like there's a direct line from his Parks & Rec character and Starlord and Emmet. It does kinda fit Mario's whole thing where he's a pretty untraditional protagonist as an old, short, fat plumber, but again that's something that matters more for live action casting.

The other thing people are complaining about with the trailer is more funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chris Pratt has two modes. Lovable goofball man child or stoic douche action hero.

He leaned too much into the latter.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Does anyone have any insight to what happened with DC Super Hero Girls (2019)?

I just finished watching both seasons and the movie with my 5yo and I liked it a lot, especially considering I otherwise don't have any affinity for the DC universe.

They did a fun job aging down most of the characters and the dynamics are solid, especially in Season 1 and especially in two-parter episodes where new heroes or villians are introduced.

My 5yo had most recently been into Friendship is Magic and this felt like the next step from that, basically swap out the ponies for superpeople with decades of weird lore to draw on for story inspiration.

Wikipedia initially listed Season 2 as having 52 episodes but it only ever aired 26, and the series seems to have ended pretty conclusively with the movie. I'm mostly fine with that but it's weird that there's no official announcement, you just have to read explanations people have written up on DeviantArt or whatnot.

The movie is also a very bizarre artifact in that it appears to be a 70 minute DC Super Hero Girls movie with 15 minutes of Teen Titans stuff added here and there, including a lot of weirdly pointed jabs from the Teen Titans about DCSHG's poor ratings and how the crossover movie is an attempt to boost DCSHG's profile by attaching it to a "more popular" show. Some of the meta stuff was funny but it felt a bit rude?

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

Does anyone have any insight to what happened with DC Super Hero Girls (2019)?

I just finished watching both seasons and the movie with my 5yo and I liked it a lot, especially considering I otherwise don't have any affinity for the DC universe.

They did a fun job aging down most of the characters and the dynamics are solid, especially in Season 1 and especially in two-parter episodes where new heroes or villians are introduced.

My 5yo had most recently been into Friendship is Magic and this felt like the next step from that, basically swap out the ponies for superpeople with decades of weird lore to draw on for story inspiration.

Wikipedia initially listed Season 2 as having 52 episodes but it only ever aired 26, and the series seems to have ended pretty conclusively with the movie. I'm mostly fine with that but it's weird that there's no official announcement, you just have to read explanations people have written up on DeviantArt or whatnot.

The movie is also a very bizarre artifact in that it appears to be a 70 minute DC Super Hero Girls movie with 15 minutes of Teen Titans stuff added here and there, including a lot of weirdly pointed jabs from the Teen Titans about DCSHG's poor ratings and how the crossover movie is an attempt to boost DCSHG's profile by attaching it to a "more popular" show. Some of the meta stuff was funny but it felt a bit rude?

It’s always hard to trust wikipedia on episode counts, unless there’s a press release specifically noting the number of episodes produced, no one really knows. I’m willing to bet Warner just cut the episode order in half and either they fought for a movie to end the series, or they had the movie already and knew they weren’t getting more episodes and chose to end storylines there (which might explain the weirdness of the movie)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently Dead End Paranormal Park returns for a second season of the 13th, how was the first one out of curiosity?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked it a lot, my parents didn't like it but my Dad could see why I did. I liked the Dollywood underlying joke (Pauline Phoenix and Phoenix Park is basically an expy for Dolly Parton and Dollywood, if Dolly was more actress than singer) and Courtney's overall arc and thought the trans stuff and the stuff about parasocial relationships was pretty well intergrated into the main characters arcs. Also while there was a somewhat weak bodyswap episode they had a reason to do it (in that Barney had basically all but asked for it and Nora finds out something interesting that she wants to explore while SHE is being possessed because the possessee's soul temporarily ends up in a middle-plane that she is using to solve one of the core mysteries of the show) and it had one of the most adult (in the "I'm sorry, WHAT?" kind of sense) jokes in the show that I was amazed made it in.

Basically the joke is that while one of the characters is possessing another, their real body is left empty, but it mimes what they are doing on the other side of the possession. When Courtney is briefly possessing Barney trying to help him on his attempted date with his love interest, her body just blankly opens it's mouth and you see the tongue working, to which Nora quips "Either courtney has found some food, or Barney's date is getting WAY more than he bargained for..." clearly insinuating a blowjob

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Oct 9, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

CelticPredator posted:

Chris Pratt has two modes. Lovable goofball man child or stoic douche action hero.

He leaned too much into the latter.

It's just wild seeing the pre trailer interviews where Pratt sounds like a robot who could not be more unexcited to be playing GODDAMNED SUPER MARIO, and then seeing Jack Black's interview as well as his comic con appearance where he basically living out all his wildest childhood dreams of being the voice of Bowser. Like come on Chris Pratt, you are an actor, could you at least ACT like you give a poo poo about being the voice of SUPER MARIO

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Reminds me a bit of the interviews in the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus where Tom Waits was totally geeking out about getting to play the actual devil. That was a cute interview.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/richiepope/status/1578796196994220032?s=46&t=lvHcPCLn-zO7OUcMtAWQdw

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I wish I could say I'm surprised but, welp, Zaslav

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

BioEnchanted posted:

Reminds me a bit of the interviews in the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus where Tom Waits was totally geeking out about getting to play the actual devil. That was a cute interview.

He really was the highlight of the film

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So Disney put out this for World Mental Health Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzZF0UItxOE

Seems nice (other than Marcy appearing a little off model, but given Amphibia wrapped up she’s probably not animated by the original team) although it is kind of triggering second hand anxiety to watch.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

So Disney put out this for World Mental Health Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzZF0UItxOE

Seems nice (other than Marcy appearing a little off model, but given Amphibia wrapped up she’s probably not animated by the original team) although it is kind of triggering second hand anxiety to watch.

My only complaint is that Candice feels like an odd choice for this group despite her justifiable paranoia over her brothers.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Libby is supposed to be canonically unable to sing, but nice song.

Xelkelvos posted:

My only complaint is that Candice feels like an odd choice for this group despite her justifiable paranoia over her brothers.

Yeah, she's also generally a lot more confident. I don't know exactly what mental issues you'd classify her with, but they seem like they'd be on the other end of the scale. Baljeet might've been a better fit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is Big City Greens any good incidentally? I’ve kind of been on the fence about trying it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SlothfulCobra posted:

Libby is supposed to be canonically unable to sing, but nice song.

Yeah, she's also generally a lot more confident. I don't know exactly what mental issues you'd classify her with, but they seem like they'd be on the other end of the scale. Baljeet might've been a better fit.
Candace is constantly being gaslit isn't she "MOM LOOK they built an interstellar rocket that--- looks like a regular sand castle great"

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Larryb posted:

Is Big City Greens any good incidentally? I’ve kind of been on the fence about trying it

The animation style put me off of it but I caught a clip of an episode called “The Move” and the humor was good in it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

BCG is fun

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Yeah. Like if you're looking for a deep serialized plot to appear like some other shows, you're going to be sorely disappointed, but it is consistently funny if you just want a good laugh.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Yeah. Like if you're looking for a deep serialized plot to appear like some other shows, you're going to be sorely disappointed, but it is consistently funny if you just want a good laugh.

Good to know, does it even have a Molly McGee level of internal continuity out of curiosity or is it strictly a comedy show?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Good to know, does it even have a Molly McGee level of internal continuity out of curiosity or is it strictly a comedy show?

Yeah, there is continuity at least

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Larryb posted:

Have you still been watching Steven Universe btw, or have you taken a break from it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Have you still been watching Steven Universe btw, or have you taken a break from it?

I’ve got a lot of shows I’ve been working my way through as of late and SU is one of them (as such, don’t expect any updates from me regarding it)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 11, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

Candace is constantly being gaslit isn't she "MOM LOOK they built an interstellar rocket that--- looks like a regular sand castle great"

Thing is none of it is on purpose, though later in the series she's definitely trying to prove she's not insane.

Odd sudden realisation about Invader Zim; seems almost too obvious, but both the Tallest and Professor Membrane are literally towering authority figures with immense power who Zim and Dib respectively are usually ignored by and desperately want the attention and approval of, with it seeming impossible they're ever likely to get it.

Even comes home with Enter the Florpus; where Zim realises the Tallest really don't care about him at all and it (briefly) flat out breaks him, while Dib ends up learning his father DOES care about and respect him, even if he's bad at showing it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love professor membrane just for all the times he refers to Dib as "Oh my poor insane child..." in the original show. It's just such an over the top thing but it's hilarious every time due to how much oomph he puts into every line delivery. I think the best episode of the OG show though is Bad, Bad, Rubber Piggy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I finished Star Vs recently and contrary to popular opinion I actually liked the final season and thought the ending made perfect sense in context (also I’m not sure where people got the whole “Star commits genocide” thing from, only a small handful of characters actually died and a lot of them were in favor of the plan)

One complaint I do have though is I kind of felt like they killed Toffee off a bit too soon, he was one of the more intimidating villains in the show

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
One of my favorite animatic makers made an Eclipsa animatic to one of them songs from the Frozen Broadway show and it's one of my favorite animatics now to the point where I associate the song with Eclipsa over Elsa now (admittedly not hard since Elsa has a much more popular song associated with her)

https://youtu.be/4w4OVaQqfVU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Larryb posted:

On another note, I finished Star Vs recently and contrary to popular opinion I actually liked the final season and thought the ending made perfect sense in context (also I’m not sure where people got the whole “Star commits genocide” thing from, only a small handful of characters actually died and a lot of them were in favor of the plan)

One complaint I do have though is I kind of felt like they killed Toffee off a bit too soon, he was one of the more intimidating villains in the show

Me too, I agree that it worked well. I did like the final confrontation with Toffee though. I also loved the moment where Star's in the cafe at the end of the multiverse and she has her realisation of what she has to do, and during her rant the whole bar is just like "HEAR HEAR!" at varying intervals because they completely agree with her stance that magic was a mistake.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also I appreciate that in the end The Forces of Evil was just "old money and institutionalized racism"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Senerio posted:

Also I appreciate that in the end The Forces of Evil was just "old money and institutionalized racism"

Plus a little bit of FYGM as most of the Magic Council were monsters themselves (Hekapoo was about the only member with any sense and even she went along with some questionable things in the past)

Hell, Star even brings up this double standard earlier on and her mom doesn’t have a good answer for it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 11, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I did like a lot of how Star steadily grew to question the world around her and sought to change the order of things. I kinda hoped she'd try ditching monarchy entirely after seeing how there's actually nothing special to it, but nope.

Larryb posted:

Well, we know for sure that the Magical High Commission is dead. Glossaryck is kinda dead. Presumably the unicorns in the magic dimension are also dead as pure manifestations of magic.

It was an odd choice to depict the spells inside the wand as being sentient and having whole lives of their own, because that means they were thinking beings who are also probably dead. Unless they could still somehow exist as a separate dimension?

And then there's a multitude of things where it's unclear what counts and doesn't count as magic. Ponyhead should be dead, but apparently she doesn't count, and a lot of the magical elements of Mewny remain because magic is very arbitrary. How much of the multiverse is cut off from eachother? How much actually exists on the same planet and dimension as Mewny but people just used the scissors for expedience? Is Father Time dead? The Stump?

It's certainly a big provocative move to finish off with, it just doesn't really feel well thought out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, I forgot spells were sentient. I guess that’s probably where the whole “genocide” thing comes from then since like you said the only Mewny casualties we know of were the Magical High Commission (though Hekapoo was onboard with the plan from the start) and sort of Glossaryck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Larryb posted:

Plus a little bit of FYGM as most of the Magic Council were monsters themselves (Hekapoo was about the only member with any sense and even she went along with some questionable things in the past)

Hell, Star even brings up this double standard earlier on and her mom doesn’t have a good answer for it

It was even brought up in an episode that Tom briefly gets targeted for anti-monster racism before they realise he's a demon instead. Basically a lot of bits of how arbitrary and obviously manipulated by the ruling classes racism is.

Also pretty sure Glossaryck is dead, he outright says that he's 'going down with the ship' as it were.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One thing I don’t really get is how did the two worlds get merged at the end anyway? Did it have something to do with Star and Marco going back to the Realm of Magic after said magic was gone?

It feels like you probably could have had an extra season dealing with the fallout come to think of it

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Candace absolutely has anxiety issues, it's just that Phineas and Ferb mostly plays them for comedy. For examples, there's the episode where she convinces herself that all her friends are avoiding her; or the time she interprets Stacy's texting as an insult despite that making no sense in context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZv4JyzyDeg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

See also: basically any of her interactions with Jeremy, even after they're officially together.