Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

akadajet posted:

they aren't the kind of union you like

this will depend greatly on the definition of “union” and if expanded to labor or trade union the definition of labor or trade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Somebody has to ruthlessly and needlessly oppress the poor otherwise what else would scare everyone else into not being poor :confused:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

That's because they're foot soldiers for capital, not because they're unionized

it can be both :ssh:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
id like 2 suck off the cops

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

holy fuckin poo poo I thought cops didn’t make good money

That's propaganda

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

FOP is a union in name only

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Beeftweeter posted:

it can be both :ssh:

nope

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

spankmeister posted:

look, at any moment you could die from fentanyl exposure, it's a heroes job really

heard this repeated as fact by young adults

know your drugs know your dosages ppl

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
spray joose on your hand and shake a cops' so they spend all that money they make on grand piano bids

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kitfox88 posted:

spray joose on your hand and shake a cops' so they spend all that money they make on grand piano bids

shame they don’t have the ocarina of time in minecraft

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

funny as that sounds, they'd probably go on a killing spree (and get away with it)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

There's really nowhere left in civil society where people of good conscience pretend that the cops do anything worth a gently caress, huh?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m split on it coz when my dad was a cop and as detective there were plenty of people who would like sexually abuse minors and etc and he helped put them behind bars, and imo that’s good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i’m split on it coz when my dad was a cop and as detective there were plenty of people who would like sexually abuse minors and etc and he helped put them behind bars, and imo that’s good

not all cops are bastards, but holy poo poo a ton are.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

akadajet posted:

not all cops are bastards, but holy poo poo a ton are.

to me the salient point is that institution applies constant pressure to make them into worse and worse bastards. they all join at different levels of bastardry and some of them resist the pressure better than others but the incentives only go one way

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

echinopsis posted:

yeah i've got a handful of cops in my family too. two are clearly corrupt but the other three work pretty hard

one was a whistleblower, got his rear end beat for it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i've got a handful of cops in my family too. two are clearly corrupt but the other three work pretty hard

one was a whistleblower, got his rear end beat for it

you beat him up for snitching on the cops?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
All Cops Are Bastards because their structures make it so they cannot be anything but bastards given a long enough time period

If you are a "good cop" to the letter and do things like report bad cops to internal affairs and conduct yourself in a humane manner, there's a pretty good chance your fellow officers will quite literally kill you in one fashion or another. There was an NYPD officer who tried to report crooked cops to internal affairs, got warned for doing so, continued to try to do so anyway, got demoted/hosed with, then his fellow officers went to his house and kicked the poo poo out of him before forcibly having him committed under the guise he was "going to commit suicide"

You are simply not allowed to be a "good cop" - thus, all cops are bastards

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

aye, the 'good' cops either cover for their corrupt coworkers in which case they aren't good just less bad, or they get drummed out of the force one way or another

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also it is simply good policy to reject "not all X" as a line of public discussion in 2022, as it is otherwise immediately weaponized.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

There's really nowhere left in civil society where people of good conscience pretend that the cops do anything worth a gently caress, huh?

pretend? yes

you used too many qualifiers

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
law enforcement park rangers are cops but they seem institutionally ok to me. i’m sure some are individually bastards but the profession as a whole seems to be based on the premise that the outdoors are cool and keeping bears and people from killing each other helps everyone enjoy them

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

there's also non-law enforcement park rangers who do the majority of the keeping bears and people from fighting each other.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

moonshine is...... posted:

there's also non-law enforcement park rangers who do the majority of the keeping bears and people from fighting each other.

yeah but the le rangers don’t seem to be philosophically different from the non-le rangers as an institution, unlike how e.g. urban cops are wildly different from social workers wrt tactics, communications, and institutional culture

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

raminasi posted:

law enforcement park rangers are cops but they seem institutionally ok to me. i’m sure some are individually bastards but the profession as a whole seems to be based on the premise that the outdoors are cool and keeping bears and people from killing each other helps everyone enjoy them

wisconsin is a chud rear end state but takes its natural resources very seriously. if you're caught poaching they take the animal, your gun, if you're doing it from your truck they take that, if you're doing it (somehow) from a boat they take that.

I wish it wasn't asset-forfeiture-based punishment because that's inherently abusable, but they are probably doing some good.

you do not gently caress with the wisconsin DNR

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

le ranger, hurf-durfing through the forest to prevent derpina from being om nom nommed by le bear

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

you beat him up for snitching on the cops?

uncle on my moms side was a detective in newark, found out about a slush fund and got stabbed a couple dozen times for reporting it

they supposedly never found out who did it, but c'mon it was definitely a cop

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Truman Peyote posted:

le ranger, hurf-durfing through the forest to prevent derpina from being om nom nommed by le bear

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

wisconsin is a chud rear end state but takes its natural resources very seriously. if you're caught poaching they take the animal, your gun, if you're doing it from your truck they take that, if you're doing it (somehow) from a boat they take that.

I wish it wasn't asset-forfeiture-based punishment because that's inherently abusable, but they are probably doing some good.

you do not gently caress with the wisconsin DNR

It's similar up here.

there is a case where the fed rangers impounded a guys boat and the guy sued claiming only the state had jurisdiction on the river

its still ongoing because our chud rear end state joined the lawsuit on the plaintiffs side

Apr 7, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

uncle on my moms side was a detective in newark, found out about a slush fund and got stabbed a couple dozen times for reporting it

they supposedly never found out who did it, but c'mon it was definitely a cop

That cop in LA who was beat to death in a "training accident" was investigating four other officers for rape

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

raminasi posted:

they seem like cop personalities based on what they are carrying but at the same time i understand they are afraid of mush hunter shoot outs and maybe but not so much weed farms

i want to say with legalization that’s less of a full ar carry for producers but lol they’re probably still assholes

wish it was just forest friends who have to strap for the job

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

That cop in LA who was beat to death in a "training accident" was investigating four other officers for rape

yeah, i mean, i was too little to really know for sure so that was just my mom's speculation i guess but i don't doubt it. i tried finding an article but someone getting "randomly" stabbed in newark (in 1991 no less) wasn't exactly uncommon lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
hell is this baseball game that will never end. 0-0 going into the 14th. first playoff game ever to do this.

they need to add the ghost runner to the playoffs.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

baseball games should be decided by armed combat, it is quintessential American

Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

hell is this baseball game that will never end. 0-0 going into the 14th. first playoff game ever to do this.

they need to add the ghost runner to the playoffs.

The ghost runner is stupid bullshit necessitated by the DH. If you have to pinch hit for pitchers, longevity is limited by the length of your bench.

The people who run baseball are absolutely clueless about it and keep making it worse

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

spankmeister posted:

baseball games should be decided by armed combat, it is quintessential American

they are armed and armored but something prevents them from using their weapons climactically

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

best part of law and order is when they kill a suspect or whatever and spend 37 minutes of the episode stomping around and muttering "loving IAD NOSING AROUND WHERE THEY DON'T BELONG! CHIEF, CAN YOU GET THESE JABRONIS OFF MY BACK? I GOT PERPS TO COLLAR AND I CAN'T DO IT FROM THIS DESK"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

The ghost runner is stupid bullshit necessitated by the DH. If you have to pinch hit for pitchers, longevity is limited by the length of your bench.

The people who run baseball are absolutely clueless about it and keep making it worse

pitchers batting wouldn’t fix this game.

Apr 7, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

pitchers batting wouldn’t fix this game.

Having to pinch hit for pitchers absolutely would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

baseball is a garbage rear end sport and that's why it's perfect as america's pasttime