Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

BonHair posted:

That's often the harder perspective

:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BonHair posted:

That's often the harder perspective

Lol

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mobby_6kl posted:

Why am I not surprised it's a Tool album

There was a Pink Floyd album I think called pulse that had a tiny led in it that blinked. At the time that was a big deal.

Those bands have a few fans in common I’m sure (raises paw)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

NW florida being stealth ohio is on point

Thanks for the robitussin, morpheus

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Mauser posted:

I was at the airport when they had a bunch of seniors getting off a plane and everyone was clapping because they were all veterans of something and it was just deeply embarrassing to be present for that sort of thing.

This... actually happens? Goddamn Americans are odd

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

This... actually happens? Goddamn Americans are odd

In America there are schools that have kids stand up and sing the anthem or recite a 'pledge of allegiance' every morning, like the propaganda in any totalitarian dictatorship. That country is absolutely insane.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lol at "Florida" hanging there like a dick off of ohio

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0WYKQb6YpY

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Carbon dioxide posted:

In America there are schools that have kids stand up and sing the anthem or recite a 'pledge of allegiance' every morning, like the propaganda in any totalitarian dictatorship. That country is absolutely insane.

So for my embarrassing edgy teen story I had to have a meeting with the principal in high school because I refused to stand for the pledge and I got repeatedly asked by teachers if I was planning to shoot up the school because of it. It was mostly in opposition to the war in Iraq but also because I was a capital-A Atheist
This was in 2003 so basically peak jingo

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Heath posted:

So for my embarrassing edgy teen story I had to have a meeting with the principal in high school because I refused to stand for the pledge and I got repeatedly asked by teachers if I was planning to shoot up the school because of it. It was mostly in opposition to the war in Iraq but also because I was a capital-A Atheist

thank you for your service :patriot:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Heath posted:

"Here I don't stand. I can do no other."

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Wake up babe new virgin vs chad meme dropped

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah when our kid came back from her hippie-dippie elementary school and told us she'd still said the pledge complete with "under God" I realized nobody even perceives this as indoctrination whatsoever, just civic education. Ban peanut products, call 10/10 Indigenous people's day, sure, but critically analyze swearing political and religious oaths by five year olds? That's too much, let's not lose the thread!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

When I was a newspaper journalist I had to cover the school board meetings and they did the pledge there too. There was no flag in the meeting room so they pulled up an image online and put it on the projector. Hell is a room full of adults with hands on hearts, pledging fealty to a jpeg of the American flag

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

and then they cheat on their taxes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lmao at all the philistines ITT not aware of Singapore

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Our school at least told us we had the right not to do the pledge of allegiance. Don't think that poo poo would fly today even though it's still true.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Linux Pirate posted:

Our school at least told us we had the right not to do the pledge of allegiance. Don't think that poo poo would fly today even though it's still true.

I told my daughter (who is in 3rd grade now) she doesn’t have to say it because it’s weird they make kids say it. But if she doesn’t do it, I’m worried she will be “that weird kid who doesn’t say it” to the other kids.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

END OF AN ERROR posted:

I told my daughter (who is in 3rd grade now) she doesn’t have to say it because it’s weird they make kids say it. But if she doesn’t do it, I’m worried she will be “that weird kid who doesn’t say it” to the other kids.

i was the weird kid who didn't say it and my 4th grade teacher tried to put me in detention because of it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Move to the deep south, tell your kids not to do the pledge, sue the school for discrimination.

The pledge is so loving weird lmao.

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

I'm a high school teacher in commie liberal Taxachusetts, and we've got about a 98% standing for the pledge rate, and like a 10% reciting the words rate. I stand but only because I'm sure it'd get back to the most exhausting parents to deal with and become a Thing if I didn't.

I'm sure as hell not gonna force any of the kids to do it tho, gently caress that noise. Keep those principles, little Bhrandiynn.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Prof. Spaceman posted:

I'm a high school teacher in commie liberal Taxachusetts, and we've got about a 98% standing for the pledge rate, and like a 10% reciting the words rate. I stand but only because I'm sure it'd get back to the most exhausting parents to deal with and become a Thing if I didn't.

I'm sure as hell not gonna force any of the kids to do it tho, gently caress that noise. Keep those principles, little Bhrandiynn.

What would you do if you had to actually lead the recitation of the pledge in your classroom?

because that's what's expected of us this year and I haven't had the energy to really grapple with it. :(

Dav
Nov 6, 2009
Oh yeah, the Pledge would be creepy even without the Under God bit that got added back in the 50s.

Post- 9/11 there was a new law or something in my state that meant we had to set aside time for the pledge even in high school. But of course it wasn’t technically mandatory that you actually recite the pledge and I went to a nerdy high school so various teachers tried to turn it into a teachable moment in one way or another. One of the French teachers offered a French translation so you could get some practice that way if you wanted. The American history teacher would announce that anyone who wasn’t going to recite the pledge could go out into the hallway for a minute…and then suit action to words by going out into the hallway. (I think everybody else in class joined him.)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo is that pledge of allegiance thing real? Jesus Christ America is so hosed

not a meme but too good to pass up. Former Aussie PM Gough Whitlam was a witty a f

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

burial posted:

What would you do if you had to actually lead the recitation of the pledge in your classroom?

because that's what's expected of us this year and I haven't had the energy to really grapple with it. :(

Probably just cry more at night.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Probably just cry more at night.

That's the natural impulse, yes. I was hoping I had missed something obvious!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

burial posted:

What class/school are you in that requires this?

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

bike tory posted:

Holy poo poo is that pledge of allegiance thing real? Jesus Christ America is so hosed

Same people who are angry that the class is talking about the fact that billy has 2 mothers because mentioning gay couples is forcing adult issues on to a child, think a 7 year old should swear a fealty pledge to a symbol of authority.