Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

"Former owners, lessees, and non-original owners may be eligible to claim compensation"

Worth filling out some paperwork imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone else hear about this Porsche gas emissions settlement? Previous owner forwarded me the email he received. Looks like it's more for original owners but may be worth looking into, $200 buys a few tanks of fuel.

https://www.porschegasolinesettlementusa.com

Yup, found out our request got approved for our Macan.

I used to have a 2015 Cayman S and 2011 Boxster Spyder, but those were used and the forms are a PITA because they want the bill of sale/etc. Not sure I still have those.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

About to make an offer on a 944 s2

I might make some other bad decisions today as well, any suggestions?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I hope you enjoy changing timing and balance shaft belts.

If they haven't been done in the last 5 years/30k miles I wouldn't even start that thing again once it was in my name.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Engine is sound and belts have been done recently. Sills are sound too.

However, engine cuts out when on clutch at junctions and the power steering is broken, which is why I offered 3k under asking.

He told me where to go, fair enough.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CancerCakes posted:

However, engine cuts out when on clutch at junctions and the power steering is broken, which is why I offered 3k under asking.

He told me where to go, fair enough.

IACV and/or TPS. Easy fix. Power steering is always broken on those, they're better without it.

You'd think he'd fix that poo poo if he didn't want to be lowballed.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

He'd replaced the steering wheel with one a good couple of inches smaller, which really made the lack of power steering much worse. Still got the original steering wheel and it is in good nick.

Yeah I've read a few things about depowering the steering but it was ridiculously heavy, and in order to use it I would have to do maneuvers to get it in and out. Plus UK parking spots tend to be tight so if I want to take it anywhere I need to be able to move it around.

He is keen to sell, moving house, so I thought I may as well have a go. I'll call him in a month, ask if he sold it and offer another 500 on top as a sweetener.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Good luck. They're exceptionally fun to drive. Totally worth grabbing one if you can get it at the right price.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I mean I like terrible old lovely cars as much as the next idiot here (I own two cars from before 1992, and my newest is a 2008) but either you want to buy a 944S for whatever it costs and get your 0-60 times read to you by how many newspapers have been printed since you set off, or you want a bargain which ain't happening on old cars anymore. Just buy it, or get a BRZ/FR-S and actually enjoy the romantic motoring concept you've got in your mind while being able to use the functional interior. Still astonishingly slow.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Holy poo poo the BRZ really is just a modern 944...

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
I don’t get the love for the 944. Parts are expensive, they’re slow as poo poo, and they look exactly like four other 80s RWD coupes.

Agreed on the BRZ/86 suggestion. Cammisa likened it to a modern 944. https://youtu.be/QaR843im04A

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I don’t get the love for the 944. Parts are expensive, they’re slow as poo poo, and they look exactly like four other 80s RWD coupes.

Agreed on the BRZ/86 suggestion. Cammisa likened it to a modern 944. https://youtu.be/QaR843im04A

It's totally fine if you don't get it. Have you ever driven one in anger? And if so, what other driving experience do you have?

Because it's a uniquely ridiculously well balaned car. When people come out of the gate talking about how slow it is (it absolutely is) they are always missing the point that driving a really well balanced car slowly is way more fun than blasting around on a higher horsepower shitbox.

My daily is 540 HP and I still want to drive my 944. Not even an S model. 150 HP? Maybe? Maybe more like 135?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

I learned to dislike them when the Spec 944 crew in Phoenix was playing rolling chicane in HPDE4. I was in an Elise with stock power levels.

It’s cool you like it. Any enthusiasm for cars is good these days. Personally, the driving experience has to offer something unique to put up with the cost, maintenance, etc. Again, just me, I don’t think the FR 4 cyl 944 does anything that you can’t get elsewhere for less.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I learned to dislike them when the Spec 944 crew in Phoenix was playing rolling chicane in HPDE4. I was in an Elise with stock power levels.

It’s cool you like it. Any enthusiasm for cars is good these days. Personally, the driving experience has to offer something unique to put up with the cost, maintenance, etc. Again, just me, I don’t think the FR 4 cyl 944 does anything that you can’t get elsewhere for less.

Look, I get it.

But you say this last part while talking about an Elise.......your own post isn't even a coherent narrative on the point you appear to think you're making.

It's okay not to like these cars. Why are you posting about it in this thread?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Motronic posted:

Look, I get it.

But you say this last part while talking about an Elise.......your own post isn't even a coherent narrative on the point you appear to think you're making.

It's okay not to like these cars. Why are you posting about it in this thread?

I was offering perspective on a car that CancerCakes was looking to buy. It’s less than 10 posts up.

Maybe my point was missed. In my dumb opinion, an Elise/Exige offers a very different experience that makes the silly ownership bullshit worth it. There aren’t a lot of mid engine cars under 2000lbs for a someone attainable price. Whereas you have your pick of 2900+lb FR four cyl coupes. Why choose one that is a pain to maintain while also being expensive?

That was my point. But in fairness, if everyone thought like me the automotive scene would be pretty boring.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The real issue here is you're saying a 944 is expensive to maintain while suggesting a car with monocoque that is known to get destroyed beyond repair in parking lot speed fender benders.

Because.....it offers a different driving experience? Yeah, I agree it does.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Local Porsche dealer has had a red 2020 911 cab for 4+ months, asking 20k over new MSRP. Hasn’t sold, so they raised the price another 13k.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bird with big dick posted:

Local Porsche dealer has had a red 2020 911 cab for 4+ months, asking 20k over new MSRP. Hasn’t sold, so they raised the price another 13k.

Gotta spend money to make money?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
To be fair they aligned the center caps so had to charge for that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There's now a 992 Carrera T that in the US at least looks like a pretty good price point between the base model and the S. Comes with a manual transmission.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41694231/2023-porsche-911-carrera-t-revealed/

Here it's only fractionally cheaper than an S (150k vs 156k) so seems a bit pointless.

e: gently caress it's €123k in Germany which is 126k CHF, with the diffence in VAT rates you must be able to save a huge amount if you import one.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Oct 20, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wonder if they're already spoken for

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Hey thread. I have been looking for something to replace my 1 ton diesel truck as a daily. I came across a somewhat local 2011 cayenne s with significant miles and “needs a starter”. He is asking $8k, my thought was to bring a breaker bar and some sockets to see if its locked up and if its not, make an offer. What is the general consensus on a fair offer? Driver seat is trashed and it looks like its been sitting but the body appears to be dent free and still looks decent.

Also, how bad are these to own? I watch too much youtube and supposedly these aren’t a new level of hell to maintain.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aahaha

https://twitter.com/GGrimalda/status/1582818342506987521

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why didn’t they bring their own poop bowls, idiots.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

There's now a 992 Carrera T that in the US at least looks like a pretty good price point between the base model and the S. Comes with a manual transmission.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41694231/2023-porsche-911-carrera-t-revealed/

Here it's only fractionally cheaper than an S (150k vs 156k) so seems a bit pointless.

e: gently caress it's €123k in Germany which is 126k CHF, with the diffence in VAT rates you must be able to save a huge amount if you import one.

I know porsche loves to segment the poo poo out of their line up, but I don't really get it. I'm sure they'll sell enough.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 20, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

It's not a ~911~

Also, virtually nobody buys a 911 because it has rear seats.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I assume that's for people who didn't get allocated on a GT4 RS.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

It's not a ~911~

2+2 or it’s poo

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

slidebite posted:

It's not a ~911~

Look at this guy that doesn’t have kids.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The 991 carrera T was interesting but not for the reasons porsche marketing said. No one is going to notice it weighs 30lbs or whatever less and it’s not a mini gt car. But, it has the base engine, which apparently is more revvy/fun of the turbo era, manual (the 991 had a closer ratio trans, not sure about this one but previously manual was not even available on base 992), LSD (again not avail on base), and a couple little goodies and differentiated interior options. It would be stupid not to get rear seats in these, no one is going to notice the weight loss and it makes the car more usable which is the whole 911 thing anyway.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yes exactly. The base model is a bit unappealing with the lack of manual and I'd end up wanting some other cosmetic options. The dark wheels and cloth seats look great on the T. All the 911s are wide body now as well.

Re the market segmentation, because Porsche options are so insanely priced, going up a tier is often a way to get them more reasonably, and maybe subject to less depreciation. I know when I was looking at the Taycan I first just ticked what seemed reasonable for the kind of car it is, only to discover I'd added 60k to the price.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Ether Frenzy posted:

I assume that's for people who didn't get allocated on a GT4 RS.

:mad:

Very rude.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I like what Porsche is doing with the current T models. A little sportier looking and more "driver's car" orientated than the other similar priced models.

The marketing works on me.

Will say though, my dogs are the only ones that have ever sat in the rear seat of my 996.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Prior to the pandemic the 991.2 T had gotten down in the low 90s and was easily the performance bargain of the range. And for those that are brave enough, you can get a tune to give it 450whp pretty easily.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
First time driving the 993 in a few weeks and drat I love this car. So much personality and I don't feel like an rear end in a top hat driving it like when I drive a modern sports car.

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches
'20 Taycan Turbo S. Absolutely love it, and relatively inconspicuous for a 2.6 second 0-60 car.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Awesome

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I think the Taycan's looks have really grown on me.

It's best in black I feel, so that the vertical vents under the headlights (i.e. the "tears" under the "eyes") aren't as apparent.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I saw a GT3 Touring in British Racing Green with gold wheels and I now know this is the one true color scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Encor3 posted:

'20 Taycan Turbo S. Absolutely love it, and relatively inconspicuous for a 2.6 second 0-60 car.

Easily the best looking (and probably best overall) EV on the market today