Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Harlo the Hutt: "Syril my nephew you should come play at my club"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Cant wait to see Harlow Ohnaka next week

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow there's Trix Swirls in Star Wars

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Uncle Har Har Binks

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I can't get over how much I like this show. Star Wars has always been a space opera, a bit schlocky and campy with lots of swashbuckling adventures, but nerds like me who read a bunch of EU books back in the day just wanted them to focus more on fleshing out the hinted-at worldbuilding, telling stories about people not named Skywalker. I was pretty bummed when that 1313 game was cancelled, since it sounded like it was going for more of a gritty, not-Jedi vibe that might have been what I was looking for.

Mandalorian was an excellent specimen of classic Star Wars, right down to wearing its western influences on its sleeve, but Andor is finally the EU story I wanted. I actually love the slow pace since it means more time dedicated to the dialogue and the character interactions (both of which have been stellar), and whoever they have doing sets and props is top loving notch for nailing that 70s vibe and the kit-bashing aesthetic (SX-70 as a navigational tool was :discourse:). There was that scene talking about fear and nerves before the big day, and I actually felt a bit of adrenaline when Taramyn was waving the signal torch for Gorn. I don't think I would've felt half as tense if we had already leapt into the heist at this point.

Everything just feels very mature, with dialogue that feels sharp but not smarmy, and trusting the viewer to draw conclusions without everything being spelled out. Apparently an entire dinner party happened off-screen, but we see Mon Mothma riding in a car all dressed up while removing her earrings, talking about something that happened in the past, and that's enough.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
It's far and away the best high-budget genre TV going at the moment.

That new LOTR is eating its dust. I've not seen the house of dragons thing but I'm sure it's much much better than that too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

to me so far, andor is a 9, dragon is an 8 and rings is a 4

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

It's far and away the best high-budget genre TV going at the moment.

That new LOTR is eating its dust. I've not seen the house of dragons thing but I'm sure it's much much better than that too

I like Dragons slightly more than Andor but thats only because you can currently have a little more meta fun and meme-ing with friends with the characters in House. I'm equally excited to watch both, really. I'm more interested in Interview with a Vampire than I am Rings.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Squidster posted:

I remain in awe of how badly Diet Fash hosed himself. He personally destroyed an entire interstellar corporation; who in god's name would want him as an employee?

Uncle Harlo is likely a smuggler looking to use Syril's corpo security knowledge to evade blockades. Harlo might even work for Saw. I think we'll see Syril run into Cassian as a fellow criminal, then try to rat him out to the Imperials.

This is probably more likely than my theory: Harlow runs a catering business and the Mothmas are going to need to hire extra help with the big dinner. Syril is going to have a waiter's outfit on next time we see him.

"Did you modify your uniform?"

After that he'd either skip planet to hunt Cassian or get picked up by the ISB for further questions.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo I really want to see Star Wars caterers and they could even fit in 1 (one) Party Down wink before getting silly

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vinylshadow posted:

He removes his trucker hat to reveal a third eye while bidding them dark greetings to the Mofference Annual Dinner Party

If someone bids someone dark greetings, I might vomit with joy

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Genuinely, those books played a huge part in how I became a Star Wars fan, so they'll always hold a special place in my heart.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What would it take to get a Jar Jar Binks cameo? I need this so badly.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I said come in! posted:

What would it take to get a Jar Jar Binks cameo? I need this so badly.

honestly i wanna see what hosed up poo poo Gilroy would make jar jar say: "Thosa whosa follow bomba orders tosa place the yoke of oppression nosa notice they soon set the yoke onsa their own necks!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

powa growsa froma da barrela ofa da blasta

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
when a tv show is too good the posts get worse because you simply run out of things to praise

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

How wuude.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Andor keeping that cop's blaster is going to be a disastrous decision. The blaster is going to get lost during the heist and it will make a link between the starpath unit and the payroll heist.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Servetus posted:

Andor keeping that cop's blaster is going to be a disastrous decision. The blaster is going to get lost during the heist and it will make a link between the starpath unit and the payroll heist.

Its registered to Syril and he is gonna tell them Cassian Andor took it from him :eek:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
The funniest result would be that Syril tells the ISB that Cassian has his blaster and then he's immediately arrested for providing equipment to a terrorist and/or being culpable for someone being shot by it.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Its registered to Syril and he is gonna tell them Cassian Andor took it from him :eek:

That seems likely. While we don't know what happened to the gun Cassian used to kill the cop on Morlana One (we don't see or hear him drop it, but it's not in his hand when he's running away), it's definitely Syril's gun that he has with him on Aldhani.

The gun also has a legible serial number on it (AD-919K9KA), which feels like a prop detail they'd want to include if it was going to be a plot point. None of the other blasters we've seen share that, or at least don't have them so prominently.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I like how the credit chits/coins all seem to be different shapes. One type is a pentagon, another a hexagon, etc. More points/faces more value most likely (plus they’re bigger).

Had we seen imperial currency before? I think rectangular ones showed up in Rebels or maybe Solo.

It always amuses me when no one seems to use paper currency and instead opts for surprisingly large coins/chits.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I like how the credit chits/coins all seem to be different shapes. One type is a pentagon, another a hexagon, etc. More points/faces more value most likely (plus they’re bigger).

Had we seen imperial currency before? I think rectangular ones showed up in Rebels or maybe Solo.

It always amuses me when no one seems to use paper currency and instead opts for surprisingly large coins/chits.

We see them in The Mandalorian

New Republic credits showed up in Book of Boba (when his helmet is filled with them), where they're more circular

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Dave Syndrome posted:

I was listening to Rebel Force Radio today for the first time again in a long while, and the two hosts were speculating "which of the guys" Cinta was "sharing her blanket" with. Vel was mentioned as an afterthought with a laugh, after the option "maybe all of the guys, LOL". :rolleyes:
Glad to see goons aren't the only ones bad at watching shows.

And here I was annoyed that they had Vel get possessive of her girlfriend everytime Andor talked to her for like 3 scenes in a row, I guess people are just thick.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 8, 2022

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

And here I was annoyed that they had Vel get possessive of her girlfriend when Andor talked to her for like 3 scenes in a row, I guess people are just thick.

I didn't "get it" either, but I am the type of person that is like, "go right ahead and try and talk to my significant other and see how far that gets you" in my head and never reacts that way, so thats where I miss those kinds of social cues.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

We see them in The Mandalorian

New Republic credits showed up in Book of Boba (when his helmet is filled with them), where they're more circular

These are really cool! I want a small bag of these lol.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Robot Style posted:

That seems likely. While we don't know what happened to the gun Cassian used to kill the cop on Morlana One (we don't see or hear him drop it, but it's not in his hand when he's running away), it's definitely Syril's gun that he has with him on Aldhani.

The gun also has a legible serial number on it (AD-919K9KA), which feels like a prop detail they'd want to include if it was going to be a plot point. None of the other blasters we've seen share that, or at least don't have them so prominently.

good catch

but part of me also thinks whoever said that syril gets arrested for rebel crimes is right lol

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Also they didn't even have to slap extra horns on the sheep. Those are just straight up Hebridean sheep:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hail Satan.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I don't mind the pacing, and other posters have commented on it better than me, but I can't lie, I was amused by this episode remembering some goon posting something akin to And next episode is going to be the heist! If that's the mid-season highlight imagine what else they have in store?!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Dessel posted:

I don't mind the pacing, and other posters have commented on it better than me, but I can't lie, I was amused by this episode remembering some goon posting something akin to And next episode is going to be the heist! If that's the mid-season highlight imagine what else they have in store?!

Someone posted it a few dozen pages back now but the basic structure of the season was revealed a while ago and it was made clear that eps 1-3 and 4-6 form discrete arcs, so it was obvious that the heist wasn't going to be in this ep. Apparently there are a few standalone episodes after ep 6 and then the final arc will round out the season.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

404notfound posted:

I can't get over how much I like this show. Star Wars has always been a space opera, a bit schlocky and campy with lots of swashbuckling adventures, but nerds like me who read a bunch of EU books back in the day just wanted them to focus more on fleshing out the hinted-at worldbuilding, telling stories about people not named Skywalker. I was pretty bummed when that 1313 game was cancelled, since it sounded like it was going for more of a gritty, not-Jedi vibe that might have been what I was looking for.

Mandalorian was an excellent specimen of classic Star Wars, right down to wearing its western influences on its sleeve, but Andor is finally the EU story I wanted. I actually love the slow pace since it means more time dedicated to the dialogue and the character interactions (both of which have been stellar), and whoever they have doing sets and props is top loving notch for nailing that 70s vibe and the kit-bashing aesthetic (SX-70 as a navigational tool was :discourse:). There was that scene talking about fear and nerves before the big day, and I actually felt a bit of adrenaline when Taramyn was waving the signal torch for Gorn. I don't think I would've felt half as tense if we had already leapt into the heist at this point.

Everything just feels very mature, with dialogue that feels sharp but not smarmy, and trusting the viewer to draw conclusions without everything being spelled out. Apparently an entire dinner party happened off-screen, but we see Mon Mothma riding in a car all dressed up while removing her earrings, talking about something that happened in the past, and that's enough.

i hope the showrunners and the whole team have something else planned after this run, since they said the andor story will be wrapped up in 2 seasons right?

a series centered entirely around isb and imperial intelligence seems like it would be cool and let them explore a lot of different things

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

thats not candy posted:

i hope the showrunners and the whole team have something else planned after this run, since they said the andor story will be wrapped up in 2 seasons right?

a series centered entirely around isb and imperial intelligence seems like it would be cool and let them explore a lot of different things

The Americans, but it's Star Wars!

Or maybe a show about Manny Bothhands.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
didnt The Americans writer have either this show or Rogue One before they left and Tony Gilroy picked it up?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jinnigan posted:

didnt The Americans writer have either this show or Rogue One before they left and Tony Gilroy picked it up?
Yes it was a guy who worked on The Americans

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

The Americans, but it's Star Wars!

Or maybe a show about Manny Bothhands.

Watching them stuff an alien body into a suitcase :stonklol:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

thats not candy posted:

With Mando having the Space Western angle pretty well handled, and the Ahsoka show covering Space Samurai Wizards, we will be in need of some more quality Space WW2.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Feeling very weird with the Rebellion’s origin portrayal as some vaguely ideological rich person not fully in favor of the big power so she funds stochastic terrorism. Like… gently caress. This isn’t a good and bad thing anymore - which was like the Star Wars thing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nah it's just regular terrorism, not stochastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol

Been that way since the start

Leia was a senator(before the emperor disbanded the Senate)

Also any anti imperial action is going to be seen as terrorism until the anti imperials win.

Sorry to break it to you, the Rebel alliance were always terrorists.

If they lost they would be considered that anyway.