Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Paracaidas posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1578490204964687872

A bit more detail on where Trump is claiming privilege in the MAL seizures.

like it's great that he's claiming that but he's not the executive so he can't actually do that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Jaxyon posted:

like it's great that he's claiming that but he's not the executive so he can't actually do that, right?
Trump's claiming privilege in a much more expansive way than the courts have ever allowed for a past president. Which, you're correct, he cannot do (absent a major reversal by the courts).

My understanding is that it'd be wrong to mistake that as him being unable to claim any privilege at all, or to argue that certain records are personal under the Presidential Records Act.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The DoD is going to remove and rename all government property named after confederate generals.

The biggest changes will be to famous military bases like Fort Bragg. But, they will also be removing plaques and statues from several academies, parks, and West Point.

The biggest name changes are:

They are also banning all confederate flags from being sold at historical army site gift shops and active bases.

There are also apparently dozens of roads owned by the government named after Robert E. Lee that are getting renamed as well.

https://twitter.com/jseldin/status/1578100829923450880

I wonder how they picked the new names? But this is unambigiously a good thing, first with renaming any public feature with the native slur sq** and now with refusing to honor literal traitors.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Twincityhacker posted:

I wonder how they picked the new names? But this is unambigiously a good thing, first with renaming any public feature with the native slur sq** and now with refusing to honor literal traitors.

It says in the memo this is the result of each base holding its own local process

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

haveblue posted:

It says in the memo this is the result of each base holding its own local process

drat, that's like the best possible way to do this, too.

I was involved in the renaming of a city park that was named after a slave holder and minor signatory of the declaration of independence. We got that renamed after a historic Black woman from the area, and now the park flies a pan-African flag.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Evangelical Christian author Rod Dreher - who worked for the LA Times, NPR, the Wall Street Journal, and the Weekly Standard - has put out an insane essay today in the American Conservative where makes weirdly anti-Semitic claims about Jews controlling culture and seems to out himself as bisexual.

There are also apparently "throuples" moving in all around him in his neighborhood and worries that humanity is at risk of extinction become they are becoming both too gay and too asexual.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1578369704137105413

Full article:

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/forgetting-how-to-be-a-civilization/

The entire thrust of this is essentially "if too many people learn about the joys of hot gay sex they'll never go back to the straight life and humanity is doomed!" :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The entire thrust of this is essentially "if too many people learn about the joys of hot gay sex they'll never go back to the straight life and humanity is doomed!" :stare:
He's not wrong

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

haveblue posted:

I actually know a little about this as I'm connected to one of the installations that's getting renamed! They did do local panels, both on their own and with members of the DoD Naming Commission (a new thing set up by Congressional mandate to handle this stuff), and the commission collected input and feedback both from the public and the installation community, but ultimately the commission made the pick. They really wanted to name the bases after people, so sadly they didn't go with the other popular suggestion that referenced the local geography. I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised that even most of the crusty rednecks weren't too bothered by the renaming, they just talked about how much they care about the place and want it to have a name that's fitting.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Quorum posted:

I actually know a little about this as I'm connected to one of the installations that's getting renamed! They did do local panels, both on their own and with members of the DoD Naming Commission (a new thing set up by Congressional mandate to handle this stuff), and the commission collected input and feedback both from the public and the installation community, but ultimately the commission made the pick. They really wanted to name the bases after people, so sadly they didn't go with the other popular suggestion that referenced the local geography. I was actually pretty pleasantly surprised that even most of the crusty rednecks weren't too bothered by the renaming, they just talked about how much they care about the place and want it to have a name that's fitting.

I suppose that saves us from Basey McBase Face.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

haveblue posted:

...dammit. I swear I can read.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

That tweet is talking about pages where he's claiming attorney-client privilege, not executive privilege. Trump getting legal advice from his attorney is still privileged, just like it would be for Joe Random.
For documents where someone claims that, a 3rd party (typically the trial judge) looks at it and says "Yes, this is you talking to your attorney and none of exemptions X, Y, or Z apply" or "No, this is not actually privileged, the other side gets to see it"

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

drat, talk about feeding two birds with one scone.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
They make it sound like heroin. I wouldn't touch the stuff under normal circumstances but if I knew I was on my deathbed, sure, bring on the palliative sodomy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nameless Pete posted:

They make it sound like heroin. I wouldn't touch the stuff under normal circumstances but if I knew I was on my deathbed, sure, bring on the palliative sodomy.

"Pallative Sodomy" sounds like a name for a particularly heavy death metal band and/or song

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Re Warnock/Walker race, doesn't Walker's old girlfriend remaining anonymous seriously limit any potential impact her story could have? I mean the accusers in the Roy Moore election came public and he still almost won.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Zwabu posted:

Re Warnock/Walker race, doesn't Walker's old girlfriend remaining anonymous seriously limit any potential impact her story could have? I mean the accusers in the Roy Moore election came public and he still almost won.

I mean, mother of one of his children isn't exactly anonymous, even if we protect her direct identity.

Have we discussed how she's come forward saying he pressured her to have a second abortion?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zwabu posted:

Christian's outburst probably did more to harm than the initial accusation. It not only confirmed it but also hinted at more to come and that the Walker family has bigger troubles than just Herschel's philandering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's really hard to say at this point. Like, 'people with the proper privilege and power can and should do whatever they want, rules are for the untermenschen' is a key and increasingly unsubtle part of the Republican platform, and one that their base wholeheartedly agrees with as long as they're riled up enough.

Merely pointing at Republicans about how bad they are clearly works to a point, it's one of the reasons Biden won, but even at best it's not a sustainable strategy on its own.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Walker stuff also kind of reveals something about the anti-abortion movement, and it's that they don't really want to make abortion illegal. They want to make it illegal for women to decide to have an abortion. If the man decides it's not the right time to have a child, that's fine, it's nothing to be ashamed of, as Walker said himself. But women making that same decision on their own? Hell no.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, it’s reproduction as a means of reducing women to being objects that men control, which is something especially women who are anti-abortion don’t always seem to understand.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I see that Matt Walsh, who has been one of the main right-wing media figures pushing to essentially make it illegal to be trans, just came out in favor of arranged marriages. Definitely a great 'defender of women' right there

https://twitter.com/AriDrennen/status/1578419621803483138?s=20&t=dFXO5seXaQ6f8y8q2cso9w

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Zwabu posted:

It's not really a one to one comparison. Roy Moore was in Alabama so being a known pedophile who was banned from malls for being a pedophile was barely enough to make him lose, and he lost a special election with low turnout where the Republicans just didn't show up. We already knew Walker's election would be close, he's against an incumbent, and Warnock was already (slightly) favored before this.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's really hard to say at this point. Like, 'people with the proper privilege and power can and should do whatever they want, rules are for the untermenschen' is a key and increasingly unsubtle part of the Republican platform, and one that their base wholeheartedly agrees with as long as they're riled up enough.

Merely pointing at Republicans about how bad they are clearly works to a point, it's one of the reasons Biden won, but even at best it's not a sustainable strategy on its own.

I think it got mentioned before, but a lot of campaigning is aimed at Undecided voters.

Generally speaking, Dems are gonna vote Dem, Republicans are gonna vote Republican - Any fuckery the party does is going to be ignored or handwaved away in the name of making sure the other team doesn't win. They're a lock as long as they show up, barring any sort of suppression efforts.

It's the people going "Hmm, I dunno..." that most ads are aimed at since they're the ones who need to be convinced.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Are there really undecided voters at this point in history? Or is that meant in the sense of “undecided about whether or not they’re going to bother voting this time”?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I AM GRANDO posted:

Are there really undecided voters at this point in history? Or is that meant in the sense of “undecided about whether or not they’re going to bother voting this time”?

Yeah every time I saw someone say they were "undecided" in 2020 I called bullshit on. It's fine to have said "I really am defeated and don't care who wins so I'm sleeping in Tuesday" but no one was really having trouble deciding between Biden and Trump

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
A lot of people are undecided between "I should go vote for the side closer to me" and "but both sides are the same, maaan, why bother?"

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

I AM GRANDO posted:

Yes and they are the dumbest dipshits imaginable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I swear there was a study saying that the actual number of undecided voters is pretty low in the modern era due to polarization

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I swear there was a study saying that the actual number of undecided voters is pretty low in the modern era due to polarization

Yes, but it isn't zero, which means that they can keep cutting those sweet sweet paychecks to the ad companies and PR consultants.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder what could possibly ever change someone’s alignment these days. Can the GOP screw up badly enough for people to decide they aren’t a Republican anymore?

My Mom ditched the GOP after a lifetime of being a Republican because of the failures and corruption of the GWB administration. But she wasn’t a Fox News watcher. I don’t know if people who choose that bubble can break out very easily.

I suppose show demographic change can change the assignment of a population but it’s hard to rely on and the GOP continues to game the system further to compensate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Zwabu posted:

I wonder what could possibly ever change someone’s alignment these days. Can the GOP screw up badly enough for people to decide they aren’t a Republican anymore?

My Mom ditched the GOP after a lifetime of being a Republican because of the failures and corruption of the GWB administration. But she wasn’t a Fox News watcher. I don’t know if people who choose that bubble can break out very easily.

I suppose show demographic change can change the assignment of a population but it’s hard to rely on and the GOP continues to game the system further to compensate.
In 2020 there were shifts between more suburban voters voting D than usual, but who knows if that will continue.

We also saw a lot of Hispanic shift towards the GOP which unfortunately may be more permanent

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Jan 6 broke my mom, but she never really voted very often and she’s still socially conservative so it’s not like anything really changed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

There were real undecideds as recently as 2020. You can usually find a few articles in each election cycle where reporters go and talk to undecideds instead of doing a Trump safari.

From what I've seen, self-proclaimed undecideds usually seem to fall into one of four major camps:
  1. Hates both candidates, to the point where they can't decide whether they can stomach voting for either one. Sometimes for ideological reasons (and a lot of these are far left or far right, not just centrists), sometimes just being sick of old white guys being assholes to each other. Lots of these probably go third-party or stay home in the end
  2. People who've voted for the same party nonstop for decades, and are very annoyed that the political shifts of recent years might force them to actually think about their political beliefs for the first time since they turned 20.
  3. People with absolutely loving incoherent political beliefs, just totally inconsistent. People who voted for McCain in 2008, Obama in 2012, and Johnson in 2016. Lifelong Republicans who lean Biden now because think Trump is too anti-immigrant. Diehard Dems who lean Trump now because they think Schumer was too mean to Kavanaugh. Absolutely bizarre poo poo.
  4. People who already know exactly how they're going to vote, but haven't admitted it to themselves yet

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Nameless Pete posted:

I've brought up before in other threads but so long as we have this "Fentanyl Epidemic" and seem to be struggling with implementing the death penalty in ways that don't make people feel icky, why not just OD people sentenced to capital punishment with hot shots collected and stored in evidence labs?

I'm 100% totally opposed to the death penalty, mind, but were I ever to be on death row and face my maker, I'll take "heroin overdose, please" and feel like an opioid overdose might be some sort of happy medium. This way, we can avoid all those problematic uncomfortable issues like people being set on fire during electrocution and writhing in agony with weird chemicals coursing through their veins that make them FEEL like they're on fire. Even though some DP proponents prefer that aspect of corporal punishment, I've never been a fan.

E

Also, really loving wild to sit back and take in several things the Biden administration has done in the last 3-6 months that actually seem to matter to people and watching his approval rating go up. The cynic in me says it's all timed to election year politics and timing but I can't shake the idea how amazing it is that when Democrats actually DO the things we elect them to do that their overall support rises.

Seeing Biden do his recent 180 on locking people up for weed was probably the single easiest thing he could have done from the outset.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 8, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

There were real undecideds as recently as 2020. You can usually find a few articles in each election cycle where reporters go and talk to undecideds instead of doing a Trump safari.

From what I've seen, self-proclaimed undecideds usually seem to fall into one of four major camps:
  1. Hates both candidates, to the point where they can't decide whether they can stomach voting for either one. Sometimes for ideological reasons (and a lot of these are far left or far right, not just centrists), sometimes just being sick of old white guys being assholes to each other. Lots of these probably go third-party or stay home in the end
  2. People who've voted for the same party nonstop for decades, and are very annoyed that the political shifts of recent years might force them to actually think about their political beliefs for the first time since they turned 20.
  3. People with absolutely loving incoherent political beliefs, just totally inconsistent. People who voted for McCain in 2008, Obama in 2012, and Johnson in 2016. Lifelong Republicans who lean Biden now because think Trump is too anti-immigrant. Diehard Dems who lean Trump now because they think Schumer was too mean to Kavanaugh. Absolutely bizarre poo poo.
  4. People who already know exactly how they're going to vote, but haven't admitted it to themselves yet

it's also working to convince the opposing parties voters to not turn out, i.e. you are pro-life to the point where you can't vote for a dirty abortionist

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think most people who advocate for the death penalty really like the ritual aspects of it and would feel that it wasn’t really the death penalty if terror and pain weren’t properly measured aspects of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think most people who advocate for the death penalty really like the ritual aspects of it and would feel that it wasn’t really the death penalty if terror and pain weren’t properly measured aspects of it.

Maybe, but almost to a man, the people who've witnessed botched executions did not like it. Funny that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well yeah, I can’t eat beef any more because I learned too much about cows.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I AM GRANDO posted:

Pew says that as many as 30% of voters say they are undecided at the beginning of the campaign. But, almost all of them end up voting for the party they usually vote for. The true amount of actual undecided voters who switch votes between elections is between 8% and 12%.

That is definitely a significant enough group to swing elections, but also good to keep in mind that these billions of dollars over 1.5 years are targeted at 1 out of every 10 voters at best.

This was for President, so may not be applicable to midterms.

Also, not all undecided voters are the same. Some vote on personality, some are single-issue voters, some are (imho, dumb) people who just vote for whatever party is out of power for "balance."

FlamingLiberal posted:

This was also the thesis of the Pew survey, so it was probably the same one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe, but almost to a man, the people who've witnessed botched executions did not like it. Funny that.

I mean the whole conservative mindset is based on not understanding the brutal realities of the policies they prefer. They'll vote to send trans people to the ovens in a heartbeat but they don't want to be the people working in the camp.