Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Happened on this collection of Game related texts on the always-reliable Archive.org

https://archive.org/download/RetroGamingBooksFiction

including several DOOM novelizations to entertain while you wait for the next FPS to be released :o: Also a couple of Dark Forces books if you lean that way.

Looking at this collection, I see books that aren't yet in the collection (the Realms of Arkania novels, the King's Quest novels, that Command & Conquer novel), books that I didn't even know existed (adaptations of Shadowkeep, ICO, Tomb Raider, XCOM, and Starship Titanic!), and books that I actually have wanted to check out (the Tex Murphy and Gabriel Knight novels).

-

As far as early FPS talk goes, I've been playing Dusk lately, and it's very good. Earlier this evening, I finished up the second episode and started on the third. Episode Three has some pretty cool level design and mixes it up by giving you the sword from the very start and having you rely on melee for a while before you start getting guns again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Max Wilco posted:

As far as early FPS talk goes, I've been playing Dusk lately, and it's very good. Earlier this evening, I finished up the second episode and started on the third. Episode Three has some pretty cool level design and mixes it up by giving you the sword from the very start and having you rely on melee for a while before you start getting guns again.

Maybe not strictly a gun, but there's a crossbow in episode 3's starting area :black101:

todd_777
Dec 31, 2008

ToxicFrog posted:

In general, the game would benefit a lot from a consistent visual language for differentiating "doors you can open by frobbing them", "doors you can open, but not by frobbing them", and "walls that look like doors for decorative purposes". I have wasted a lot of time trying to open doors that are actually walls, and also a lot of time wandering around levels not noticing the door I needed to proceed because it looked like a wall-that-looks-like-a-door.

Indeed. I'm not sure if I'll go as far as creating new texture assets for this in future updates, but it's been obvious from the feedback that this needs to be clearer in places. I tried to go easy on the old ornamental doors, and I could possibly just do away with them entirely.

quote:

Still grumpy I can't dual-wield the arc driver, though.

That would be too kind ;)

quote:

Saturn Devouring His Son has a bug where if you fall into the lava area in the south rather than opening the doors and descending, you can't escape because there's no way to open the doors from the "wrong" side, and have to quit out.

There's actually an easy means of escaping, it's just dumb at the moment and will be improved.

quote:

The Great Fen reminded me a lot of "The Hard Stuff Rules" in M2, and I loved the way your path through the level initially coils around the tower before entering it.

If you ever replay this, there are 3 ways of entering the tower.

quote:

Sky Burial was a great concept with a frustrating execution, largely due to the abovementioned door issue. It also felt like I was hitting the terminals in the wrong order, or had missed one on "Ascension Day", or something -- Darla seemed to think I was much more filled in on current events than I actually was.
A few people have mentioned the terminal order, I thought getting down to brass tacks with the mission briefing before doing story fluff was the way to go, but it seems to come across wrong to people. The Level needs a bit more signposting for sure, it's probably a bit too much to throw people into a good old marathon maze at that stage of the game, and it's a vacuum level and pitch black to boot.

Thanks for the feedback dude!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you're intimately familiar with the BUILD games, The Raze team could use some help testing an attempt to make the innards a bit saner.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

todd_777 posted:

Indeed. I'm not sure if I'll go as far as creating new texture assets for this in future updates, but it's been obvious from the feedback that this needs to be clearer in places. I tried to go easy on the old ornamental doors, and I could possibly just do away with them entirely.
It doesn't even need to be a textural difference -- even something as simple as "illuminated doors can be opened directly, doors with illuminated frames can be opened indirectly, and doors that are not illuminated at all" would help.

quote:

A few people have mentioned the terminal order, I thought getting down to brass tacks with the mission briefing before doing story fluff was the way to go, but it seems to come across wrong to people. The Level needs a bit more signposting for sure, it's probably a bit too much to throw people into a good old marathon maze at that stage of the game, and it's a vacuum level and pitch black to boot.

It's honestly not that mazelike once you get a handle on it, the problems are mainly:
- lots of rooms that aren't particularly visually distinctive, so you spend a lot of time checking the map to see which of several nearly-identical rooms you're in
- halls/doors that look passable at first glance but aren't
- doors that look like you can't open them that are in fact vital to proceed

And yeah, as far as the terminals go this is, I think, the first time anyone has even mentioned Surrex -- last time I had any sort of coherent briefing from one of the AIs, my objective was to secure a Pfhor dig site so the humans could hunker down there while Darya found an escape route. A lot of alien teleporter bullshit later, Noah (or whatever's left of him) flings me into orbit and Darya seems completely unfazed by my arrival.

And I mean, to some extent, yes, I get that I'm just the murderbot and no-one tells me anything, actually getting to know what's going on beyond the bare minimum needed to complete the mission is a privilege reserved for humans

But I would appreciate it if someone did a bit more to fill me in on what's been going on while I've been stuck underground getting bounced around the planet!

quote:

Thanks for the feedback dude!

Not a dude, but you're welcome -- I'll probably have more once I finish it, which I think I'm getting pretty close to :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Well what do we have here.

https://twitter.com/gameralphabeta/status/1578432092882366465?s=20&t=5VkpZLxuLhUIUDOwhICVUA

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/letshugbro/status/1576587822252711936?s=46&t=Vv4fG0IJ2IMuu5zj1gCzpQ

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

It has been in EA for a pair of years, I'm waiting until 1.0

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I hope it turns out good cause when New Blood picked it up, I did as well. And then they dropped it shortly later and I've been worried ever since

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It got a decent update recently. I hope they push it a bit more and slap it out of EA.

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

I've got about 100 hours in this, nearly entirely in Endless mode. I can't explain why but I'm absolutely hooked on the combat in this.
That's all there really is, though - don't go into it expecting a big long campaign, because there isn't one.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

I totally thought this game was dead and buried. I actually bought this years ago because it's New Blood associated and I was high on the Disk/Amid Evil fumes.

Guess it's time to reinstall and check out the update!

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's too bad New Blood cut ties with it because the music seriously got an upgrade when they were involved.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's too bad New Blood cut ties with it because the music seriously got an upgrade when they were involved.

why did they split up?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Malcolm Excellent posted:

why did they split up?

IIRC they were vague but it was something like a difference in opinion between the devs and NB about the direction of development. I kinda got the sense that NB wanted a plan for getting out of EA and the devs wanted to keep going awhile longer.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

MMF Freeway posted:

IIRC they were vague but it was something like a difference in opinion between the devs and NB about the direction of development. I kinda got the sense that NB wanted a plan for getting out of EA and the devs wanted to keep going awhile longer.
The devs wanted something slower and more Goldeneye-y and New Blood wanted Tony Hawk’s Pro Coke-Fuelled 80s Bloodbath.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The devs described their product as a "crunchy peanut butter FPS" but New Blood are smooth PB folks through-and-through.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Severed Steel added a roguelike mode and a bunch of new guns.

Severed Steel remains my FPS of the year

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Maybe not strictly a gun, but there's a crossbow in episode 3's starting area :black101:

Oh yeah, when I got that, I thought maybe the whole episode was going to be structured around the two weapons (kind of like Medieval Mode in Team Fortress 2).

:hellyeah: I was just watching someone stream Max Payne 2 the other day, and I though, "Why hasn't there been a new Max Payne style game?" I know Remedy's working on remakes of MP1 and MP2, but it'll probably be a while until we see those.

Only other thing I can think of from recent that had the same style was Trepang 2 (which I know is more based off F.E.A.R.) but I haven't heard anything about that since the demo for it came out.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To the dev of severed steel who will never read this. Thank you for putting "like water" in as an option for the roguelike mode. It kicks rear end.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
System Shock remake delayed, again, to March 2023.

I understand that video games are insanely difficult to make and it's a miracle that any of them even exist in the first place. But. What is UP with the management of this project.....

:negative:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is a long shot, but a while ago someone posted an essay/presentation by a Dead Space 2 level designer (I think) who used to be a Doom mapper. He talks about how he tried to take a lot of the principles that makes fighting Doom's monsters fun and put it into a way different kind of game. Does this ring a bell?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

fadam posted:

This is a long shot, but a while ago someone posted an essay/presentation by a Dead Space 2 level designer (I think) who used to be a Doom mapper. He talks about how he tried to take a lot of the principles that makes fighting Doom's monsters fun and put it into a way different kind of game. Does this ring a bell?
Scanning through the list of level designers on that game I recognize Matthias Worch's name from the Doom community (he worked on Memento Mori II among others). Maybe this one is what you're referring to?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Volte posted:

Scanning through the list of level designers on that game I recognize Matthias Worch's name from the Doom community (he worked on Memento Mori II among others). Maybe this one is what you're referring to?

This is it, thanks!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This might be a stretch for this thread maybe not but how do I get my Doom-mod-playing-on with my Steam Deck?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This might be a stretch for this thread maybe not but how do I get my Doom-mod-playing-on with my Steam Deck?

Best bet is to install ZDL and GZDoom. ZDL is a launcher that lets you choose your WADs (the mods) and IWADs (the base DOOM game you’re running the mod from, usually DOOM2)
Dump your WADs in a folder, Point ZDL to the binary of your GZDoom install and then add the WADs to the load order. This sounds tricky but it’s easy enough. PM me if you have problems.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Best bet is to install ZDL and GZDoom. ZDL is a launcher that lets you choose your WADs (the mods) and IWADs (the base DOOM game you’re running the mod from, usually DOOM2)
Dump your WADs in a folder, Point ZDL to the binary of your GZDoom install and then add the WADs to the load order. This sounds tricky but it’s easy enough. PM me if you have problems.

There's also this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/wcy4iy/i_have_made_a_gzdoom_mod_launcher_for_steam_deck/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Whoa

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s awesome. I’m really impressed by all the cool things people are making for steam deck.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

System Shock remake delayed, again, to March 2023.

I understand that video games are insanely difficult to make and it's a miracle that any of them even exist in the first place. But. What is UP with the management of this project.....

:negative:

As best I can determine, it wasn't. The date was changed from "Coming Soon" to March 2023. That's not a delay. Journalists are dressing that up as a "delay" because of lack of critical research, it seems.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Is there a good primer on GZDoom or "must try" mods/TCs/whatever you call them? I've played vanilla DOOM/Classic Unity/Crispy plenty, but the last time I've used an "ambitious" source port was PrBoom+ like a decade ago and even that was just for IWADs.

The Deck is getting me out of my comfort zones though, so maybe it's the to give GZDoom a try.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've got a weird question: anyone remember when Quake 3 was released, it's big touted "engine feature" was that it was the first game engine to be able to produce curved surfaces? How true was that? Was that a huge technological leap of some kind? I remember at the time thinking it was a gorgeous game engine, but it didn't seem super far removed from the other contemporary game engines like Unreal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there a good primer on GZDoom or "must try" mods/TCs/whatever you call them? I've played vanilla DOOM/Classic Unity/Crispy plenty, but the last time I've used an "ambitious" source port was PrBoom+ like a decade ago and even that was just for IWADs.

The Deck is getting me out of my comfort zones though, so maybe it's the to give GZDoom a try.

A good place to start if you want wads (what people usually call them if you’re just talking level packs) from all eras: https://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads/

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I can highly recommend Keeper of the Seven Keys 3 (Disc One), it's a great GZDoom WAD that's a big Helloween tribute map with different gimmicks for each level.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

chaosapiant posted:

I've got a weird question: anyone remember when Quake 3 was released, it's big touted "engine feature" was that it was the first game engine to be able to produce curved surfaces? How true was that? Was that a huge technological leap of some kind? I remember at the time thinking it was a gorgeous game engine, but it didn't seem super far removed from the other contemporary game engines like Unreal.

I remember that too. AFAIK it's still just polys. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like the modeling tools they used had an easy auto-curve feature or something.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

chaosapiant posted:

Pretty sure it just has support for Bezier surfaces in the map definitions which get tessellated (with LODs) at runtime. So it's more of a runtime optimization and designer tool than a dramatic leap forward.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Volte posted:

Pretty sure it just has support for Bezier surfaces in the map definitions which get tessellated (with LODs) at runtime. So it's more of a runtime optimization and designer tool than a dramatic leap forward.

This pretty much. Curved surfaces were defined as bezier curves where the triangles were generated at loading time. On GPUs, everything is still triangles in the end, however instead of baking a model at a certain detail level, curved surfaces were generated on the fly based on the curve detail setting. It didn't let you render more triangles than you could in other engines, or anything like that. It would've also saved on storage, since you're just saving a bunch of curve parameters, instead of every triangle.

Nowadays, the concept would be completely banal. There are plenty of cases in shipping games and engines that use things like geometry shaders where the meshes are being generated on the fly based on some simplified representation of the inputs. But unless you're doing something super specialized, you're usually just fine throwing triangles into the GPU.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Rocket Pan posted:

As best I can determine, it wasn't. The date was changed from "Coming Soon" to March 2023. That's not a delay. Journalists are dressing that up as a "delay" because of lack of critical research, it seems.

The devs had spent most of this year saying that they were "on track" for a late 2022 release (and before that, 2021) and then without any fanfare switched it to "coming soon" and now to March 2023. So yes, I suppose since they technically didn't really state it absolutely was defininitely positively coming out in late 2022 that it's not really a delay but. v:geno:v It's kind of another delay. You'd think they would have learned back in 2020 to just flat out say "when it's done."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I’d really like to know how much money Telltale releases on the Wii actually made. Because the limitations really hamstrung the games that got released during that time. Monthly release time crunch was also a factor of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

maybe nightdive is comprised of a bunch of painpigs and they get off on people being huge assholes in their kickstarter update comments and elsewhere

i wont kinkshame